Hi floyd,

Once again you have struck gold in that mine of music creating and music presenting.

The first thing that appealed when “Looking At A Girl” started playing was the wistfulness of the backing. The effect that you have created by alternating between two chords made me think of “Everybody’s Talking At Me” from Midnight Cowboy. It’s a very effective mood-setting technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzEY6ZqkuE

In addition, I really like the way in which this ‘rocking’ between two chords serves to draw attention to the lyric content of lines 3 and 6 as well as the lyric content of the chorus. What a terrific strategy for lighting up spotlights and accenting those lyrics that most deserve the listener’s attention.

As I hear these lyrics, the use of the AABCCB rhyme scheme in the verse, in conjunction with the poetic meter of 4-4-5-4-4-5, also supports the mood of the lyrics and acts as an amplifier for lyric content.

For me, in the second verse, consecutive use of the “making...” phrases really drew my focus to that last phrase “making her my own” which is a super trigger phrase for the chorus.

Just in case you’re interested, Google helped me find a quote from Charles Dickens where he demonstrates the power of anaphora – i.e. repeating the same words at the beginning of consecutive phrases.

Originally Posted By: Charles Dickens ‘Tale Of Two Cities’
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

Every time, I read the above quote, that last phrase, “it was the winter of despair”, makes me shudder!

One last thing that made me sit up and pay attention throughout this “maybe...” section was how you’ve used what Steve Seskin refers to as ‘The Rule of Two’. This principle basically says that once you’ve done something twice, it’s a good idea to do something different. If I break up your “maybe...” phrases, it’s easy to see how you’ve employed this strategy.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
making my coffee
making my bed
making crazy thoughts dance through my head
making me consider
making her my own
CHORUS

Initally: two short “making...” phrases are followed by a longer third “making...” phrase. Then in the second grouping: two short “making...” phrases are followed by the longer phrases of the chorus. I love it when I see theory in action smile

All in all, you gave me a lot to think about with this song! It’s fantastic.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024