Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
I regret to announce that the Queen's English is in peril. The probable cause for this mis-spelling is the crazy dictionary we are forced to utilise on the internet. I am always having to double check the underlined words. I will be much happier if they acquire a proper fly by allowing me British, Canadian, and 'merican spellings. My neighbours is right, is suppose somewhere they dropped the U however the memory trick is school was U because You are my neighbour.

The best new word that I heard on TV recently was a New Yorker using the word 'smoover'. Eventually it was explained that this was an iron, you use it to smoove out your clothes. YIKES. It's an iron cause there are 3 of them on the wood stove, and you clamp the handle to the hot one. My son got one with a 'lectric cord when he was in the army, they taught him how to use it in cadets, then when he moved up they had to take a course, crease the pants.

At the end of the day, don't use spell check unless you recheck the word. Otherwise you might rise from the dead.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Richard sit down please! I totally agree with you.
Danny you are totally ingrained in a process that you like and works. I have a friend that does the same as you. The song must be 100% accurate to the record. PG programs will not suit you. I'd just buy the latest version of one of the programs you mention and continue on. Maybe a better sound module/s.
Just out of curiosity how much do you play out for money? The reason I ask is that in the olden days when I did all of my own parts and it sounded like the record I'd always get "Oh you're just doing Karaoke" so now I do the songs more to my liking while still staying true to the basic format. There is a calling for good cover BANDS that play like the record but just wonder if attitudes have changed about soloists doing that.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I can't imagine doing "Back In The USSR" by the Beatles or "Pipeline" by the Chantays or "Wild Horses" by the Rolling Stones using BIAB styles!

The BB Style Wizard converts a Midi file to a style. Thus take a high quality Midi file and extract the gist of the accompaniment to a suitable BB style. It's a piece of cake and provides much more flexibility than just doing the robot thing.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Danny you are totally ingrained in a process that you like and works. I have a friend that does the same as you. The song must be 100% accurate to the record. PG programs will not suit you. I'd just buy the latest version of one of the programs you mention and continue on. Maybe a better sound module/s.
Just out of curiosity how much do you play out for money? The reason I ask is that in the olden days when I did all of my own parts and it sounded like the record I'd always get "Oh you're just doing Karaoke" so now I do the songs more to my liking while still staying true to the basic format. There is a calling for good cover BANDS that play like the record but just wonder if attitudes have changed about soloists doing that.

I wasn't thinking along those lines--one of those "never mind the answer, what's the question?" deals--but hey: why bother with MIDI at all? If Dan A wants it to sound exactly like the original, why not just do guitar over karaoke? Heck of a lot less work and better sound in the deal. What am I missing here?

Jest a thot,

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
Veteran
Richard I was going to say that but am trying to turn over a new leaf and be a kinder gentler poster.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Why not take the PG vocal remover plug and buy the original record!?

No i understand Danny to a point. There are some somes that truely need the hook lines of the song to stand out and catch people attention, but conversly there are many songs that sound o so good with an interpretation.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I think Danny just needs to bite the proverbial bullet and pay the man the three hundred dollars for the upgrade, get the USB provision going and get on with it...

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I . . . am trying to turn over a new leaf and be a kinder gentler poster.

Yah, dass why I put da kitteh in mah abbatar, LOL.

R.

D
Danny A Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Quote:

Danny you are confusing RB with BiaB a tad. RB is a full sequencer, and it does not have to rely on the BiaB styles to generate a song.

In BiaB you get the styles "version" of a song. You can start from a midi file, but it works better to generate a song in the style of. RB and PTPA both will open up and refine midi files. You can add real tracks to them with ease. I do this all the time. Some songs i want the full flavor of the original, and some songs i want it to be my interpretation of the song, so I use the sty;e system.

Some songs i want the drums to sound like the original song so i use a VSTi drum program like jamstix or something, on others i might add a flavor to the song maybe i want it to be a reggae or samba beat so i generate drums with Real Drums.

Thanks for the clarification between RB with BiaB and thanks for the description of your tune creation process What does the acronym PTPA stand for? How do you find Jamstix compared to other drum software?

Veteran
Veteran
PTPA = PG Music's "Power Tracks Pro Audio," the full name of their straight DAW/sequencer. Often abbreviated PT or PTW (Power Tracks for Windows).

Real Band is a hybrid of PTPA and BIAB, incorporating major features of both.

R.

D
Danny A Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Quote:

Danny A,

Quote:

I exhume you're a keyboard player

I assume that you mean "assume." "Exhume" means to disinter, i.e., to dig up a dead body. One meaning of "assume" is to make an assumption, warranted or otherwise. Signed, your friendly Grammar Nazi. *g*

Guys,

Forget trying to persuade Danny A to use anything by PG Music or anyone else to create his tracks. He doesn't want something close, he wants note-for-note copies and, apparently, a player with special capabilities. He needs to buy commercial MIDI files with licensing fees built in and load them into whatever he's using now. Then he can revoice and tweak as necessary to attain his apparent verbatim goals.

Danny A again,

I envy you that Terratec Axon. If I ever get the bucks, that will be the follow-on to my Roland VG-88. I thought when I bought it that it had a pitch-to-MIDI converter built in, but nooOOOooo.

R.

Nope, the word choice "exhume" was not an error on my part, it was a combination of a play on words given your age (and alas mine) in concert with a humorous non sequitur.

If you read my posts in their entirety and take into account the topic of my thread, you'll see that your view of my "verbatim goals" is a bit of a strawman. My goals are in fact dependant on musical context and choice of tune.

Logical fallacies and humor aside I have the Roland VG-99, it has guitar to MIDI equivalent to the Roland GI-20, but it's no match for the Axon's speed on the low strings nor the Axon's fret, string and pick position splits. Nonetheless for ease of use and simplicity I still use my Roland GR30.

D
Danny A Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Quote:

Danny A
all songs are work if building a songs traks from scratch.
whichever daw software one uses.
its interesting you mention pipeline.
one of the first songs i learnt on geetar when i was a kidlet
donkeys ages ago.
in the hands of a skillfull pro AE useing prolly realband
i'm sure the song could be re created or any other covers.
but there are aspects outside any music softwares capabilities.
for example can you get the exact geetar tone recorded ??
this is nothing to do with music software.
but the other gear available to record that pipeline geetar tonality
and sound picture.
in summary the limitations are not in the software itself
but many other variables.
now i'm going off n do some..
bom bom bom bom, bom bom bom bom..

Yes with my toys I can get plenty close to the timbres you reference. I have a Boss GT-10, Podxt, Roland VG-99, TC Helicon VoiceWorks and lots more. However whether I do or not is another matter as I've already outlined somewhat. Bear in mind that I did not start this thread to argue the merits of mimicry.

D
Danny A Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Quote:

I regret to announce that the Queen's English is in peril. The probable cause for this mis-spelling is the crazy dictionary we are forced to utilise on the internet. I am always having to double check the underlined words. I will be much happier if they acquire a proper fly by allowing me British, Canadian, and 'merican spellings. My neighbours is right, is suppose somewhere they dropped the U however the memory trick is school was U because You are my neighbour.

The best new word that I heard on TV recently was a New Yorker using the word 'smoover'. Eventually it was explained that this was an iron, you use it to smoove out your clothes. YIKES. It's an iron cause there are 3 of them on the wood stove, and you clamp the handle to the hot one. My son got one with a 'lectric cord when he was in the army, they taught him how to use it in cadets, then when he moved up they had to take a course, crease the pants.

At the end of the day, don't use spell check unless you recheck the word. Otherwise you might rise from the dead.

May I suggest you review my post referencing logical fallacies, humor, and wordplay?

Veteran
Veteran
I haven't read your posts thoroughly and so probably did miss your intent. There was no straw man, just inattention on my part.

I have heard nothing but good about the Axon 100. The zoning and layering capabilities sound fantastic. That Steve Morse uses one can't be bad, either. Love to hear some of your playing, especially if you have some originals.

Merry Christmas!

R.

Veteran
Veteran
PTPA = Play That Phunky ... no, that's not it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
D
Danny A Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Quote:

Nope I'm not "totally ingrained in a process that you like and works." (sic).

As discussed, if you read my posts in their entirety and take into account the topic of my thread, you'll see that your view of "totally ingrained" is a bit of a strawman. My goals are in fact dependent on musical context and choice of tune (s'cuse the argumentum ad nauseum).

OK, as to how to avoid the "Oh you're just doing Karaoke" syndrome:

I do a fair amount of improtu acapella
I do a fair amount of solo guitar
I do a fair amount of humor
When I did it on a full time basis I was totally wireless and would serenade the patrons at their tables
When I did it on a full time basis I would hand off my guitar to the patrons at their tables so that they could play it
Other interactive improtu antics

In other words there are many ways to not only engage the audience but to (at the same time) prove to them you are "real".

IMHO people do not go to local venues simply to hear regurgitated wank (regardless of whether it's note for note or approximations) they want to be entertained and engaged.

jford #51126 12/22/09 12:58 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Po'boy's Tools for Producing Audio...

Mac #51127 12/22/09 01:18 PM
D
Danny A Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I'm going to take a brake from driving this topic and chew on the info-morsels. Mixed puns and corny metaphors redux.

Thank you all very much for the kindness!

Veteran
Veteran
Danny, Ryzard is absolutely correct. I completely understand what you're doing and you don't need any of this stuff unless you simply want to have fun at home.
Some of the suggestions are overlooking your requirement list such as using Real Band to create some Real Track's or Drums. That's fine and it will sound great because I can tell you know what you're doing but on your list is the item you want to be able to do quick tempo or key changes on the fly. Those RT/RD's are audio files guys, you can't do that in RB without regenerating the tracks first and that takes too long on a gig. To do what he wants requires everything to be all midi. RB can create absolutely killer sounding Mp3's that can be used on a gig but then he loses the ability to make all those different loops and other things live.
Anyway Danny, go here Norton Music Notes is a complete pro, does the same thing as you plus he made a pretty nice business out of it. He's created literally thousands of very good styles and a lot of them are designed to work as covers. Because of your point about having the song sound as close to the original as possible, he doesn't use any of the RT/RD's. He has some very detailed articles explaining exactly how he uses these things live on stage. You can also do a forum search under his username Notes Norton, he's posted on these exact points many times.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Obviously a 'nadian fer sher! LOL

Sorry but this old californian has trouble with tat much verbiage! never could sit thru sense and sensibilities!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,658
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199