Go To
#511287 12/20/18 06:55 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
F
OP Offline
F
My use would be
Bring in BB VST plug in.
Select some metronome/tempo synced tracks and contiguous bars of audio.
Have ACW figure out the chords for these bars.
ACW has the metro/tempo/bar/note data of the whole track and should not need any manual juggling

From there I can generate realtracks, and/or solos

I stay in the DAW and not have to write out tracks to run the ACW externally.

Just an Idea smile

12/22 Edit - in italics

Last edited by FreshStart; 12/22/18 01:30 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

FreshStart,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box! Very nice idea. Thank for making the suggestion.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Great Idea !!
If BBvst could call on bbw4.exe to bring up AudioChordWizard_BB.exe and you could choose the source audio file (as I don't know if it would parse the audio in the DAW ?) then just send the chords to the BBvst.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: FreshStart
My use would be
Bring in BB VST plug in.
Select some tracks and contiguous bars of audio.
Have ACW figure out the chords for these bars.

From there I can generate realtracks, and/or solos

I stay in the DAW and not have to write out tracks to run the ACW externally.

Just an Idea smile

I don't quite understand what you're saying especially your last line "not have to write out tracks to run ACW externally."

You don't write out tracks for the ACW, you import a prerecorded audio file like something you downloaded from iTunes or whatever and the ACW gives you the chords for it. After the ACW gives you a chord grid and you've corrected it then you select a style and start generating tracks.

As for adding the ACW to the plugin, Peter wrote his answer to my thread asking what are some benefits of using the VST. One of those benefits is it's a simple version of Biab which helps folks who have asked for that. That's why the VST can now run standalone. Apparently things like the ACW were left out on purpose.

Just from my pov, not anybody's else's I still don't get the value of the VST yet. It may turn out to be valuable but for now you can do anything you want in the regular Biab and just D&D your tracks over to your DAW. Everybody is saying it takes a very long time to generate tracks inside the VST which to me negates any benefit of it until they can speed that up.

There are so many different problems, glitches and confusion about the VST I'm not messing with it until it's all working great and everybody's happy. And, most importantly there are clear instruction about how to set it up and use it in different DAW's.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

As for adding the ACW to the plugin, Peter wrote his answer to my thread asking what are some benefits of using the VST. One of those benefits is it's a simple version of Biab

I agree 100%! We should NOT start adding BIAB features into the VST as that defeats the purpose. BUT, there are still critical features missing from the VST. So I give this idea a minus vote!

Quote:
I still don't get the value of the VST yet. It may turn out to be valuable but for now you can do anything you want in the regular Biab and just D&D your tracks over to your DAW.

With all of the problems including what you cited, there is no reason to use the VST that I can see either. And, if the plan was to use the VST to attract new users, well, I'd say that is a dangerous gambit until they actually get it working! New users, especially young computer-savvy ones, are likely to see this VST and conclude the whole program is rubbish. And nothing could be further from the truth.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks folks
This BB VST shows a lot of potential. A lot of Potentail!
It can open the user base to a whole next level of Musicians. Ones who are DAW centric which as far as I see the vast the majority of the market.

I think one turn off for people who aren't use to BB is that they'll have to enter the chords.
If you're in a DAW, and have a piano, guitar, bass track, and PGMusic already has an ACW Then why not have it read the tracks and do a once over to get the chords?
It can be a separate ACW VST but I don't think ACW would be useful to other use in a DAW, unless it first went through BB to generate midi or realtracks.

BB VST already has the tempo, and where the chord changes happen, and most daws let you set the key on the song. It has more information than the raw ACW has.

It's just an idea.
If it does't get implemented I'll wait for a Pipeline workaround. wink

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Exactly !! thanks for posting, if you have any more suggest please don't hesitate to suggest them.
A lot of long term users are always looking for new ideas and better ways of doing things and are very welcoming especially to new users with new ideas, that's why it has advanced so quickly into the modern age smile .
I posted this yesterday in the pre-release forum:

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
The ACW would help if you have a live session in the DAW that needs extra session players, the DAW will get the chord progression and tempo map then send it to the plugin (If it has ARA2 in the future all the better as the user said you would not have to write the tracks out, the info is instant you don't have to play it through for Melodyne to get the info, it will get the tempo map, time sig changes and chords instantly).
This is not something that is added to the vst, bbw4.exe contain it and calls on
C:\bb\AudioChordWizard\AudioChordWizard_BB.exe or the RB version that will do decimal point tempos.
If the standalone AudioChordWizard_BB.exe had "Open wav" and "Save SGU" you could just use that as it's simple.
So as you click ACW in the VST menu it will open Explorer prompting for a wav file then open the AudioChordWizard_BB.exe it will chord and tempo map then send it to the plugin.
See in the Preferences you would have an option for Simple or Advanced menu like other apps do, they default to simple for a new user but allows extra features for the seasoned user.
If you have a recorded DAW session you get single instruments to get the chords from if you don't have a good ear.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Working with ACW will introduce tempo changes in a lot of bars. Take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENaN1cFu-9Q#t=3m25s

(Small red lines on each bars mens tempo changes in that example)

I can't see how this method could work with any VST host.

If ACW would use some kind of elastic audio algorithm (like Reaper, for example) instead of this method, things would be different (and better).

On the other hand, there's still a lot of work to do in the new ACW, so in my opinion a VST would be, in my opinion, premature.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Cerio #511767 12/21/18 06:16 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I use the ACW in RealBand to tempo map live drums
you then write the metronome to a midi track
drag the mid into Reaper import the tempo map
drag the drum wav file in and you have it
to go one step further
insert stretch markers at each beat
remove the tempo map from the master track
and snap stretch markers to grid
this will give you quantized drumming.

The vst will have an export midi chords tempo map midi drag export to give the DAW a tempo map and midi chords for virtual instruments.
It will also have in import midi tempo map from the DAW.
The midi will also give the time signature changes.

The old ACW will be easy as it's there now and will popup with one command to bbw4.exe

Biab box don't have decimal point tempos so it's always changing
see first pic import tempo from RealBand, the second pic is manually inserting changes into the plug:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BiabVST-Import-RB-SGU.png (158.04 KB, 98 downloads)
BiabVST-Save-Decimal-Tempo.png (161.63 KB, 99 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes I can see that but that's only if you have an instrument like your drums that didn't record to a click. That was the primary reason the ACW was developed in the first place. It's to be able to add Biab tracks to old recording you made 30 years ago. Those old recordings were in most cases just live, no click so yes the tempo was all over the place. We're talking now about using it in a modern studio setting. There are so many different ways people record but I would guess 80-90% of the time modern studio sessions are using a click. Unless all the players are bozo's there's no need for a tempo map.

FreshStart, you're talking about existing DAW tracks. Where did they come from? Didn't you or other session players you know do them? In that case you know the chords already, no? JJJ's point is also very good. Unless you're talking about a two chord modern pop song, the ACW isn't all that accurate. You have to make so many corrections it's hardly worth it. But of course if you really don't know music that well, I guess you wouldn't know how to make the corrections anyway. But even then your ears would tell you something doesn't sound right.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Yes I can see that but that's only if you have an instrument like your drums that didn't record to a click. That was the primary reason the ACW was developed in the first place. It's to be able to add Biab tracks to old recording you made 30 years ago. Those old recordings were in most cases just live, no click so yes the tempo was all over the place. We're talking now about using it in a modern studio setting. There are so many different ways people record but I would guess 80-90% of the time modern studio sessions are using a click. Unless all the players are bozo's there's no need for a tempo map.

ACW will write tempo changes on nearly each bar no matter if the original audio was recorded with a metronome or not.

Try it and you will see.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
F
OP Offline
F
I edited the original case above.

Pipeline is Spot On! He has some good enhancements! Hope he gets them done soon smile

On another case...
I can imagine that someone who knows nothing about music notation but can play along to a metronome could fire up a daw and record a track. Just strumming chords, not knowing what the chords are because some extra fingers were push down or some strings muted.

Then they think they would like to bring up the BB VST and add some real tracks, a solo, and develop a melody.

They don't know what the chords are so now their stuck with BB VST
The ACW should Really generate the chords based on the track they recorded and it should be tight with the tempo of the recorded track.

The ACW should have an easy time here. As Pipeline mentions other VST use ARA and get all the time sync data from the daw, They can read the whole track to do the full analysis, etc.

I don't know, it probably won't happen, it's just an idea smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Good example. If ACW is not in the VST, just render to wav and open in Biab and use ACW there or even easier, Biab has an audio track so just record the track there. Usually a player like that only needs a few new tracks so Biab can easily handle the project by itself.

Bob

Cerio #517722 01/14/19 07:49 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Cerio
Working with ACW will introduce tempo changes in a lot of bars. ....
(Small red lines on each bars mens tempo changes in that example)
On the other hand, there's still a lot of work to do in the new ACW, ....

Yes new ACW in BB needs more options, the old ACW gave an option of writing the tempo map or not, and the ACW in RealBand asks if you want to keep existing bar lines and just get the chords.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195