Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#510914 12/19/18 03:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good Karma

For the past several years we’ve posted Christmas songs we either wrote or adapted from the public domain. We weren’t as specific this year but in the spirit of the season here’s Good Karma. Janice has long wanted to work with one of the solo-accompaniment RT’s so we had a go at it. We went with a vey simple chord structure as it seemed that the more chords I removed from my original idea the more I liked the piano.

I envision Janice sitting at the piano singing a little 8 bar blues ditty when a jazz drummer and bass player drop by. Peter sees a light on and comes in for some tasty fills smile Thanks!

Comments are always welcome and we hope it works for you.

Janice: vocal, melody and arrangement
Bud: lyric, arrangement and the production stuff
Peter: guitar

Vocal: Rode NT1 mic > Scarlett Interface > Logic Pro > Nectar 2

RT 392: Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060 (Very Simple) / Waves Bass Rider / Neutron 2

MIDI SuperTrack 1886:Piano, Solo-Accompaniment Bluesy12-8John Sw 060 - comped from several regens / Logic Pro Grand Steinway / Ozone Imager / EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

RealDrums: JazzBrushesSticks: a: Brushes - fills comped / Waves CLA Drums

Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic EQ > Waves LinMB > Ozone Imager > Ozone Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance

Thanks to PG Music and mr jane for the golden ears smile

Good Karma
Copyright 2018 janice & Bud Merritt

V1
i’ve got some good karma in the bank
i try hard every day to make a deposit
i earn it by trying to do the right thing
every little bit lifts my spirit
V2
kind deeds and words add to my balance
not a lotta work just open your heart
go ahead take a chance
V3
doesn’t take long to pay dividends
always show compassion
use some to make amends
V4
it pays me a lot of interest
the more i use it the more I earn
it’s how i continue life’s quest

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thank you for the wonderful “audio Christmas card”!

Vision realized, I’d say..I could also see myself sitting there listening to Janice spinning out a very seasonal, positive blues at the piano, with able sidemen surrounding her with backtrack and solo/fill-ins to make it an extra-special holiday moment.

Bud, production elements are great,a don thanks you for all the notes..I’m going to research some of your “tools” ‘cause I’d like to ramp up the quality of my stuff to try to reach the goodness that I hear here (here,here!)

Loved the personal Seasons wish at the very end!

Best wishes,
Tom (tanomusic)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter,

You make a great trio... Another stellar production. I love the song and the way Janice delivers the vocal - it just breathes. Some awesome guitar work by Peter as usual - the fills are immaculate here.

The mix is tremendous - I hear all the subtleties in the arrangement and the blending of the tracks and vocal. It does not get any better...

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice singing the blues and sounding awesome? Who'd have thunk? wink

Nice write, fits in with mellow style.

You've got a very warm sound here. Good balance, everything clearly in their own place on the stage, nothing stepping on anything else. Clear and easy on the ears.

I like the way you've laid out the signal chain in your comments - very helpful!

Thanks for the present! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Thank you for the wonderful “audio Christmas card”!

Vision realized, I’d say..I could also see myself sitting there listening to Janice spinning out a very seasonal, positive blues at the piano, with able sidemen surrounding her with backtrack and solo/fill-ins to make it an extra-special holiday moment.

Bud, production elements are great,a don thanks you for all the notes..I’m going to research some of your “tools” ‘cause I’d like to ramp up the quality of my stuff to try to reach the goodness that I hear here (here,here!)

Loved the personal Seasons wish at the very end!

Best wishes,
Tom (tanomusic)

You are more than welcome and thank you for the nice review. We are glad that you felt the same imagery for the “band” scene. This whole production thing is definitely a journey and not a destination. The forum is really a great place to learn production chops given that unlike many boards the members here are both civil and helpful. Having said that your productions are excellent and and the texturing and layering is unique. We appreciate your comments!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Oh man is this ever sweet. Great vocals and SUPERB mix.

I think maybe your best mix. Love the drum treatment and the guitar is awesome.

Utter gorgeosity.

smile

Nice photo too!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another good one. I love Janice's voice. Good lyrics, too!

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Today is the blues night smile
J&B&P Excellent tune. Karma Savings Bank is open for business!

As David pointed out, everything is very well balanced. I bow to your mixing expertise. Guitar is very smooth and blends in perfectly.

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Man, Janice can really sing...
All of you have done a tremendous job on this tune...
I really enjoyed it...
Merry Christmas to all of you!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Fantastic lounge music, loved it.

Janice is one fantastic singer, so smooth and sweet even in a blues song. Peter's guitar fits like a glove, very tasty leads. The backing tracks were spot on and of course your you mix is perfect, as always.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

You make a great trio... Another stellar production. I love the song and the way Janice delivers the vocal - it just breathes. Some awesome guitar work by Peter as usual - the fills are immaculate here.

The mix is tremendous - I hear all the subtleties in the arrangement and the blending of the tracks and vocal. It does not get any better...

Bob

Thank you Bob. We really appreciate your positive comments regarding the vocal and mix. I’m biased, of course, but Janice with 8 and 12 bar blues just riffs out a melody a bit like a guitar player would jam. Usually on one take making my production part much easier! And yes, Peter, knows how to complement a melody for sure. We much appreciate your support!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I envision Janice sitting at the piano singing a little 8 bar blues ditty when a jazz drummer and bass player drop by. Peter sees a light on and comes in for some tasty fills smile Thanks!

This about sums up why it works so well. There is a clear cut vision of what is happening. It's seems real, so it is real. The performers create that via real instruments and knowledge how to make the virtual players work. It takes a man of skill behind a keyboard to make that vision work as well. Otherwise, it ends up sounding like really good musicians in a basement somewhere.

Great job to the three of you for creating something so authentic that I too can picture it. In fact, I picture it no other way now. When I feel like it happened; I believe it did. THAT is powerful. Great job!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,
The chord structure must seem simple but the the result is so good and the emotion is present. Christian

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Janice singing the blues and sounding awesome? Who'd have thunk? wink

Nice write, fits in with mellow style.

You've got a very warm sound here. Good balance, everything clearly in their own place on the stage, nothing stepping on anything else. Clear and easy on the ears.

I like the way you've laid out the signal chain in your comments - very helpful!

Thanks for the present! smile

David, we appreciate every word of that! Glad you like the present smile

Thanks for mentioning the vocal and the sound stage. I try very hard to mix in a manner that presents a decent representation of a small live band. Those attempts work to greater and lesser degrees!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dear Janice, dear Bud, dear Peter,

oh boy, what a lovely heart-warming slow blues song...

I can only repeat it again and again: Janice, the way you sing is not just awesome, it's devine !!!!

And Bud, the whole thing sounds as brilliant as any of your productions - you really know how to turn those knobs...

And, Peter - tasteful as always, I just love your playing.

Happy Holidays and all the best for 2019.

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great pic guys!

love the laid back feel of this

nice write, excellent mix

so good

Merry Christmas

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Oh man is this ever sweet. Great vocals and SUPERB mix.

I think maybe your best mix. Love the drum treatment and the guitar is awesome.

Utter gorgeosity.

smile

Nice photo too!!

Thanks David! Appreciate you mentioning the mix and the drums. And yeah, Peter found the right notes for sure.

"gorgeosity" We like that! smile

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I knew I was going to love this even before I pressed play just based on the power trio involved.

This is seriously good! Love the laid back groove, and the instrumentation is spot on, anything more would have taken away from the feel.

Great tone and subtle licks from Peter, just the perfect approach for the song.

And Janice is .... well, Janice is doing what Janice does! Always a treat to hear her sing.

Killer job on the mix, Bud, listened once though the phones and again through the monitors. And I'll be back to listen again.

All the best to you guys for the holiday!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
If there is anyone with karma in the bank...it is definitely y'all!!

It's all been said at least a dozen times already... everything about this is Excellent.

The piano, the drums, the bass all sound good. Peter's guitar work is just what it needs to be - subtle, sweet, soothing.

Janice is the Star that she always is. A Christmas Star this time, I guess smile

Merry Christmas to you all. And Heart, too!! HA! (or HO! HO! HO!)

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yeah, love this one guys

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195