Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I slightly disagree with you on this one Pete, cakewalk is a typical DAW like a Studio one, Cubase, Reaper, etc. Realband has the BiaB engine internal so you can regenerate and add in a DAW things quickly. At some point the VSTi might make it unnecessary but still it has a lot of powerful options no other DAW has. It might not be as polished as the main DAWs but it does a lot more in some areas. I am hoping that the plugin brings this capability to main stream DAWs, but till then RB is still a great tool in the bag.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Thank you for the reply Brian

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: RobH
Realband has the BiaB engine internal so you can regenerate and add in a DAW things quickly.

That's is the only thing I use Realband for.
After I set up the chords and style in BiaB, I load it into RB and add any Real Tracks that might work and export to my DAW.

Boyd
Win10 - 16GB-RAM - BiaB 2019 - Mixbus 4 - Slate Bundle - Komplete 10 - Ozone 8 - Neutron 2 - Waves Gold
Ample Sound Guitars & Basses - Pianoteq 6 - SSD5 - SD3 - JamStix 4 - Omnisphere - UVI Falcon - EastWest Play
Sonarworks Reference 4 -
Expert
Expert
I have the Edirol Hypercanvas 32 bit version and I'm surprised that the known bug with the kick drum not responding to velocity changes wasn't fixed on the port to a 64 bit version. but as jazzmammal says all you need to do is change the default in BIAB preferences or if you have exported a track already transpose the dud midi kick drum to the one that works. personally i can't hear the difference between the two in a mix

Expert
Expert
The hypercanvas was originally 32 bit and both vst and dxi versions came in the same box (i've got it upstairs!).

this site claims to offer a vst version for free so jbridge will make it work with BIAB 64 bit - just use a virus scanner when you download but as the program is now available for free download with cakewalk it probably isn't too likely to be a scam

https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Hyper-Canvas-VST-FREE.html

Expert
Expert
apologies the site seems to offer the update only - not the base program

Veteran
Veteran
The TTS-1 is 15 years old and is a Roland product. Roland stopped updating it years ago so nobody's going to fix that kick drum bug. They won't even provide a Win 10 driver for my Sonic Cell. Roland makes some excellent products but their lack of follow on updates sucks.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Can someone clarify for me? I am apprehensive of downloading this entire content in order to get the TTS-1 synth sounds. I don't need a new DAW since Reaper is my go to. But this TTS-1 may be needed since I am losing CoyteForte due to the new BB64.

So what exactly am I signing up for if I download the "Cakewalk by Bandlab"? Is this a on-line service? Sorry for all the questions, I actually am feeling very old trying to keep up with all this stuff and wondering if this effort is of any real value to my music....

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, I was a very long-time user of SONAR and Cakewalk Pro Audio before that. I jumped ship when I saw the BandLab site - it looked like it was for kids with no music theory. If you want to feel old and tired, look at that.

Then Cakewalk by Bandlab was released, and this turns out to be SONAR Platinum, repackaged without third party plugins, and all for free. For a while, the old SONAR User Forum held on as the only place for support. Last week BandLab created a new forum, so it looks like they really will start to be a complete solution. So, don't let the BandLab iPhone app appearance put you off. Cakewalk by Bandlab is a great product and a deal. And I think you could figure out how to keep the TTS synth if you decided to delete Cakewalk.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Info and guidance is Much appreciated Matt.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Privacy and the ability to use the DAW program offline were concerns raised in the Cakewalk forum when the sale was first announced. Those concerns appear to have been fully addressed by BandLab through changes made to the BandLab Assistant.

BandLab has both online and offline components. Online participation is completely voluntary and is not necessary except to check, download and install updates.

An email address and password is needed to open a BandLab account. A BandLab account is required to download the BandLab Assistant program. The BandLab Assistant program acts as an account and file manager so it needs to be installed to download and install the Cakewalk by BandLab program file.

Once the Cakewalk by BandLab program file is installed it's yours. You may choose to uninstall the BandLab Assistant program and Cakewalk by BandLab will still run without any limitations. However, should you want to check for updates you would need to install the BandLab Assistant program once more. You may also choose to exit and close the BandLab Assistant program by clicking on the "X" icon in the top, right corner of the program header. A different choice is to leave BandLab Assistant installed but set it to run only when you want it to.

The BandLab Assistant program has a round, cogwheel settings icon in the top left corner of the header. Click to open the settings button.

The settings window also has a "Sign Out" button that will sign you out of your BandLab account. If you press this button, the next time you start the BandLab Assistant program it will prompt you for the email address and password you provided when you set up your BandLab account.

The "Launch on startup" switch is set to the on position the BandLab Assistant program automatically runs whenever you turn on your computer. Place the switch in the off position to disable automatic startup.

The middle of the settings window has a large "Quit" button that closes down and exits the BandLab Assistant program. Of course the BandLab Assistant settings window also has the exit "X" icon in the top, right header location.

I hope this addressed your concerns.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (18.94 KB, 401 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Jim, I have gotten comfortable with installing and jumping through lots of hoops and installing file managers which connect to the mother-site for upgrades and version management and authorization. It is a burden we bare if you to get many of the modern applications. My concern here is do I want this burden for this product. I am still on the fence, but this info you have provided is helpful in saving me a lot of time in figuring this out. Thanks much.

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, to point out another option understand the TTS-1 is ok but the sounds are still a bit dated. Decent yes but not really all that great. If you want to use BB64 you have the new SynthFont 64. The soundfont that's included with it sounds decent but not that great either. The big deal here is it's capable of loading in huge soundfont libraries like over 2 gigs. A 2 gig soundfont should sound pretty good. They're not free though, you would have to do some google searches and check them out.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Dan, to point out another option understand the TTS-1 is ok but the sounds are still a bit dated. Decent yes but not really all that great. If you want to use BB64 you have the new SynthFont 64. The soundfont that's included with it sounds decent but not that great either. The big deal here is it's capable of loading in huge soundfont libraries like over 2 gigs. A 2 gig soundfont should sound pretty good. They're not free though, you would have to do some google searches and check them out.

Bob

A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MarioD

A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available.

Mario, have you ever tried making your own soundfont set? I haven't, although I imagine it to be an extremely time-consuming, passion-driven task, isn't? Bless the hearts of those brave folks that did it and decided to share it with the world!

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Veteran
I was sampled back in the early 70s on my flugelhorn. It was painstaking. And that was only one sound per pitch. Imagine how difficult it is now, with all the nuances of playing that are available (volume, timbre, attack etc. ).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LtKojak
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Mario, have you ever tried making your own soundfont set? I haven't, although I imagine it to be an extremely time-consuming, passion-driven task, isn't? Bless the hearts of those brave folks that did it and decided to share it with the world!

I did make many of them back in the day when I was using soundfonts as my main sound source. It is very easy. You just use the soundfont librarian https://soundfont-librarian.software.informer.com/
and move soundfonts around. You copy from one soundfont from one set into your target soundfont set.

If you mean recording an instrument and making it into a soundfont then no.

There are many soundfonts available, many free, some shareware and some pro ones for purchase.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
My take on cakewalk is that much like sonar it is a rich and powerful DAW, however I always found it to be really cluttered and required a lot of fiddling around to make it useable to my workflow. I did record a few nice tracks in it back a couple years ago, but found I got a ton of work done with far less fiddling around in Studio one. Sometimes I still miss the old Multitrack studio program I used for a long time that Mac suggested. It was the most stable program I ever used. And simple as can be.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
RobH,

Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) has a few features that can help simplify and declutter the look of the GUI.

One is to right click on the Control Bar and select modules. Everything on the control bar belongs in a module so by selecting and deselecting modules the control bar can be as simple or complex as you desire. Then there are the windows that perform similar to the Windows in Band-in-a-Box or RealBand. You can have a window for tracks, window for loops, window for mixing and so on. So the next suggestion is to have open only the windows you need to perform whatever task you are doing.

Once you've set up the screen to perform whatever task you want to perform save a screenset. A screenset is a snapshot of the current layout of various views and windows in a project, including which windows are open, their size, position, zoom level and whether they are docked or floating. You can create up to 10 screensets per project and freely switch between screensets at any time.

There is also templates. Templates make it easy to create new projects with predefined settings.

On another subject, the MultiTrack Studio daw (MTS) is alive and well. For those seeking a powerful but easy to use DAW, MTS has a lot to offer. It's claim to fame is a built-in midi soft synth and the program is not computer resource hungry. The synths are modeled instruments so the program does not occupy a lot of storage space. +++ HERE +++ is a link to learn more about the program. The 3 minute video demonstration is a lot of fun to watch and listen to!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
MarioD <<< A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available. >>>

I played around with creating sfz files and was able to create one fairly quickly and without knowing what I was doing by finding a tutorial on YouTube and the instructor had a screen shot of a sfz that was larger and more complex than what I had the ability to do myself. I paused the screen and copied his text.
Then I inserted my samples I had made so the file used my samples to sound out. It worked quite well and I had a fairly complex and complete sfz.

MarioD <<<If you mean recording an instrument and making it into a soundfont then no. >>>

Mario, the conversation led me along this train of thought from your quote,"For example if you find a better trumpet..." to Can I make a better trumpet part for my song?

For Example, you have a song with a trumpet RealTrack that you wish it could play a more complex or recognizable riff than what the RT itself can generate. It seems possible to me that using a template such as I did above, I could generate 7 tracks of trumpet RT playing over my project chord chart and take samples from those track generations and insert them into my sfz template thus creating an sfz modeled from my project Chord Chart and RealTrack instrument.

Could I not use a mixture of RT Trumpet and six tracks of midi trumpet creating more complex riffs and chords and mute/unmute between the seven tracks to generate, render and export a WAV mix of my Chord Chart BIAB project creating a custom track to be imported back into my BIAB project as a Performance Track?

I recall a BIAB tutorial video from a few years back where a midi bass riff was used to place a specific riff into a bar replacing the BIAB RT Bass for that bar using this method and it was indistinguishable.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/26/18 02:18 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199