Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#514350 01/01/19 08:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Happy new year to all the PG Music forumites. I hope that everyone has a productive and musical 2019.

I went away to a fishing spot for New year and since I dont fish I had a bit of time and managed to write two songs. This one is a love song called "For the Last Time". It seems worryingly familiar but I don't know why!!! I cant place what would have influenced it but if anybody has some ideas by all means let me know...

I made a play along video for this so you can take out your guitar and strum along.

Lyrics:

For the very first time in my life
Everything is clearing in my world
Meeting you reminds me of a song
Worries gone, nothing's wrong

I found someone who takes me as I am
never tells me that I need to change
Always stay, just this way

At last the stars are starting to align
At last I've found, at last I've found
Someone that I can fall in love with
I think I've found, think I've found
Someone for the last time

For the very ;ast time in my life
I've looked for one to help me share my load
I've wanted one I'd never want to leave
Through the years, no more tears

For the very last time in my life
I've tried and failed to live my days alone
I've finally found the strength to take my part
From the start with all my heart

At last the stars are starting to align
At last I've found, at last I've found
Someone that I can fall in love with
I think I've found, think I've found
Someone for the last time

Tracks used: I just used the style as is for this one:
Style is _SL16ELG.STY (Lite Pop Ballad w/ Electric Guit)

RealTracks in style: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1599:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsA-B Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1596:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1600:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 065
RealDrums in style: RockNorthern^1-a:Snare, HiHat Closed , b:Snare, Crash Ride

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Really nice song Joanne. Beautiful vocals.

Happy New Year!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne a really pretty song - lovely vocal and arrangement.
Perhaps what you are thinking of is that the first line possibly has a hint of "Whiter Shade Of Pale"?

Really nice work.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Terrific harmonies Joanne.
No bells or alarms of plagiarism sounding in my head.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

This is a beautiful song. The vocals, mix and arrangement are stellar...

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Joanne,

Familiar? Sure!
When good song is born, I believe it is a quintessence of things that one feels close to,
plus a touch of something personal smile

First song at Showcase I listened in 2019 and it was a joy.
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Love the song, especially the harmonies. Very sweet.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely song Joanne. Lovely backtrack and lyric. Loved the vocal and harmonies. Happy New Year

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Jo !:))

...and Happy New Year to you !

I think your tune is very
beautiful, maybe even one
of the very best from you !
Vocals are also very, very sweet
and delicious !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful melody and super harmonies

pretty song

and a strong write

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes, excellent song, love the vocal on this!!!

CLiff

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work.

I'd forgotten how long it has been since I heard something new from you. Glad to hear you back at work again.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, Mr. Cooper...

Right off, I'm going to offer two differing interpretations of the lyrical "message" that I believe you were offering to your audience in your song. The first idea is that you are describing your new-found ability to accept and love yourself as you are. The second thought is that you were telling the story of how you met a person who demonstrated to you that they could "love" you strictly and only as you are, without putting pressure on you to become the person that they want you to to be.

Regardless of which view is correct, your song, "For the Last Time", is a deeply moving and revelatory thing because it seems to have to do with a problem that I think all of us human beings -- male and female -- struggle to resolve everyday, every minute, every second of our lives: who are we? What are we supposed to be doing with ourselves, and most importantly, how in the world do we get the love we absolutely, positively want and need to be confident that we matter to others, to our parents, our siblings, our relatives, our lovers, without doing things to get it that damage us emotionally and spiritually?

Musically speaking, your Real Track choices summon an intropective feeling that is neither sad, or casually upbeat. It is calming in texture and tone, as it creates and maintains an atmosphere of placid self-reflection that leads to inner discovery:

Everything is clearing in my world...

And, this:

From the start with all my heart...

You even describe the interior sensation of coming into your new self-awareness as being analogous to perceiving the cosmic order of the universe:

At last the stars are starting to align... That's just an incredibly exhuberant insight, almost like being born again, and being fully aware of it.

Regardless of how close I may come to divining the thoughts that led you to compose the song, just know that it inspired me to pay closer attention to the women in my life, in my family, my female siblings, and lovers past and present, so that I may "see" them as clearly, and as affirmatively, as you appear to "see" yourself, through the experience of listening to "For the Last Time".

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Last edited by bluage; 01/02/19 10:52 AM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely,Joanne. Deeply felt lyrics and vocal with your signature harmonies.
Good to hear your voice again!

Robert

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi Joanne Cooper,

I really hope I don't offend anyone, but this is by far the best vocal performance I have heard on this forum in the 3 months I have been a member.
The melody and the chord progression is wonderful as well - I truly believe you have a hit here! I had an instant "I got to hear this again"- reaction.

There are small signs of Bach-inspiration in the verses (or Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale"), but nothing criminal.
With the millions of songs and compositions that have already been made, it is almost impossible to make a good sounding chord-progression or melody without sounding like somebody or something else, so don't worry about that.

I hope that you will share more music with us in the future!
Will

Edit: Actually I enjoyed the chord progression so much that I felt a bit disappointed that you didn't let it fade out over 8 bars... but that is just me. smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your voice and writing is especially beautiful, Josie. I've completely run out of superlatives.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David. Thanks for the nice comments.

Peter. Thanks for the comments and definitely see the similarity with "Whiter Shade of Pale". I used to play that one quite a bit but haven't for years.

Ray and Bob. Thanks for the kind comments.

Misha. Glad you also found it familiar. Definitely a touch of something personal for me. I have been doing a lot of reading and soul searching recently (on the beach in Mozambique!) so maybe that came through in the song.

Donna. Thank you for listening and commenting.
Scott. Thank you. Always glad to get nice feedback about my harmonies.

Dani. Happy New Year to you too. I hope you have a fruitful 2019.

Kenny and Clifton. Thank you both for listening and commenting.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work.

I'd forgotten how long it has been since I heard something new from you. Glad to hear you back at work again.

Hi Herb. There is a bit of story here. I took part in FAWM and 50 90 in 2018 (didn't get to 50 and didn't post them all to the forum). In both I "trawled" for lyrics written by other people and wrote the music to those lyrics (mainly because I feel I struggle with writing lyrics and can write the music fairly easily using BIAB).

But something very interesting has happened to me recently. I have started performing my original songs at a twice monthly song-writer's round in Johannesburg, on my own with just my guitar. (This is quite a thing for me since I am not very confident in that particular setting and the quality of the other performers is off the scales good.)

The songs that I am enjoying performing, and the ones that seem to go down the best, are the ones that I have written both lyrics and the music for. I guess I am probably more convincing in my performance because these songs are so personal.

So I have decide for this FAWM I am not going to do any collabs.. I am going to aim to write the lyrics and the music ... Lets see what happens.

I have also decided to perform at our National Arts Festival on my own with just my guitar and tell the stories and perform the best of my original songs. I am also going to record a CD of "acoustic" versions of these songs so that people can buy something to remind them of the performance (thanks to BIAB!)

So thanks for providing me with a bit of motivation! I really appreciate and needed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, Mr. Cooper...

Right off, I'm going to offer two differing interpretations of the lyrical "message" that I believe you were offering to your audience in your song. The first idea is that you are describing your new-found ability to accept and love yourself as you are. The second thought is that you were telling the story of how you met a person who demonstrated to you that they could "love" you strictly and only as you are, without putting pressure on you to become the person that they want you to to be.

Regardless of which view is correct, your song, "For the Last Time", is a deeply moving and revelatory thing because it seems to have to do with a problem that I think all of us human beings -- male and female -- struggle to resolve everyday, every minute, every second of our lives: who are we? What are we supposed to be doing with ourselves, and most importantly, how in the world do we get the love we absolutely, positively want and need to be confident that we matter to others, to our parents, our siblings, our relatives, our lovers, without doing things to get it that damage us emotionally and spiritually?

Musically speaking, your Real Track choices summon an intropective feeling that is neither sad, or casually upbeat. It is calming in texture and tone, as it creates and maintains an atmosphere of placid self-reflection that leads to inner discovery:

Everything is clearing in my world...

And, this:

From the start with all my heart...

You even describe the interior sensation of coming into your new self-awareness as being analogous to perceiving the cosmic order of the universe:

At last the stars are starting to align... That's just an incredibly exhuberant insight, almost like being born again, and being fully aware of it.

Regardless of how close I may come to divining the thoughts that led you to compose the song, just know that it inspired me to pay closer attention to the women in my life, in my family, my female siblings, and lovers past and present, so that I may "see" them as clearly, and as affirmatively, as you appear to "see" yourself, through the experience of listening to "For the Last Time".

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

LOREN. Reading your comment has brought a lump to my throat. If I have inspired you to pay closer attention to the women in your own life then my job is done. Bless and thank you

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Lovely,Joanne. Deeply felt lyrics and vocal with your signature harmonies.
Good to hear your voice again!

Robert

Thanks Robert. I appreciate it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195