Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
I posted this track for the pak5 contest back in September, but never here.

I almost forgot all about it, but recently a so-called "Music Library" contacted me and they wrote that they would pay me 200 euro to get exclusive rights to the track for five years.
They also want me to give them all rights to royalties for those 5 years, which sound a bit weird to me, but I have absolutely NO experience in this business, so my questions are:

Is 200 euro a normal/fair price for exclusive rights for 5 years?
Should I give up on royalties for those five years?
Is that normal practice?

I was tempted to just say yes, because I didn't think much of the track, but on the other hand I know that we are not very good at judging our own songs and the value of them.

Here's the song:

https://soundcloud.com/user-656274325/autumn-colours

Advise will be much appreciated!
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a cool track but there are 20,000 or so like this on Songtradr where people can buy a non-exclusive use of a song like this for $200 per pop. That is if 100 people really want it in an ad or t.v. show, you would get 200, 250 or even 1,000 x 100. (Or more depending on the deal.)

I don't understand it.

A music lawyer told me never to sign any kind of music contract without a lawyer reading it, especially one that has "exclusive" in it. It is not because he wants to get paid (he is a good lawyer) but because he has seen lots of people seriously burned.

All kinds of horror stories abound with clauses that were misread in which people signed away their catalogs.

Myself, I would not touch it.

You did a good job with this, but in Europe they could pay a kid $200 to write on demand and the kid would give them a song they owned in three hours.

Doesn't make sense.

User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Ok, so you are saying "ignore the offer"?

Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Will,

A couple of thoughts that came to mind as I read your post were...

1. If the song isn't doing anything and you'd pretty much forgotten all about it, then maybe getting paid something for it is not a bad way to go.

The conversion for Euro to Au is 200 = $320 (Au) -- that, at it's worst, pays for Band In A Box.

2. This might be that door-opening song. Personally, I would be tempted to take to the offer and see where it leads. It might lead nowhere but then again, getting into the music industry is all about lucky breaks and this could be something like that. As I see it, at the end of the day, it's just one song and not everything you've written.

From this perspective, it could be worth the experiment.

The precautions that I would take would be....

(a) Have a clause in the contract that says something along the lines that usage of the work is not transferred to the company by you until the promised money is paid in full.

(b) Find out about publisher royalties as well as artist/performance royalties.

(c) Register the song with a recognised copyright agency before passing it on (I use copyright.gov in the US -- it's $50US to register a single song if I recall correctly)

(d) I would not consider any deal that involved me having to pay the company that wanted my work. This could be in the form of something like an upfront fee to submit the work.

Hope these thoughts are useful for you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
BE VERY CAREFUL.

Do an extensive search and verify that you are dealing with a legitimate company.

How is it that this company found your song? Do legitimate Music Libraries have time to listen to the BILLIONS of songs online? If you submitted it, that is an entirely different thing - but you are saying THEY contacted YOU.

If you are signing a contract MAKE SURE there is not language in it that says (in any way) that you will pay them when they decide a better recording is required. That is a typical scam in the "sleazy music world". Generally, if it is a scam, there will be others who will warn you off (when you do a good search).

I enjoyed hearing the track...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Will,

A couple of thoughts that came to mind as I read your post were...

1. If the song isn't doing anything and you'd pretty much forgotten all about it, then maybe getting paid something for it is not a bad way to go.

The conversion for Euro to Au is 200 = $320 (Au) -- that, at it's worst, pays for Band In A Box.

2. This might be that door-opening song. Personally, I would be tempted to take to the offer and see where it leads. It might lead nowhere but then again, getting into the music industry is all about lucky breaks and this could be something like that. As I see it, at the end of the day, it's just one song and not everything you've written.

From this perspective, it could be worth the experiment.

The precautions that I would take would be....

(a) Have a clause in the contract that says something along the lines that usage of the work is not transferred to the company by you until the promised money is paid in full.

(b) Find out about publisher royalties as well as artist/performance royalties.

(c) Register the song with a recognised copyright agency before passing it on (I use copyright.gov in the US -- it's $50US to register a single song if I recall correctly)

(d) I would not consider any deal that involved me having to pay the company that wanted my work. This could be in the form of something like an upfront fee to submit the work.

Hope these thoughts are useful for you.

Regards,
Noel

What Noel said. It is a great track and if they want to pay 200 EURO for the rights for 5 years, well, that is more than I have earned in the 5 years that I have been releasing my music (and I have well over 100 tracks recorded and released). So I would say, read the contract carefully and make sure you don't have to pay THEM anything, ever Get the money, and use it to invest in your music making capabilities and write some new stuff! I believe that miracles DO still happen.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
David, Noel, Floyd and Joanne,

I thank you all for the very good and thoughtful advice.

Based on your advice I will do three things:

1. I will go through the contract with a friend who is a lawyer. She also have some experience with this industry.

2. I will politely ask the library about how they found my music (been wondering about that myself).

3. I will try to learn more about publisher/artist royalties and find out about which organisation(s) I should register with. I frankly don't know much about these things.

Happy New Year to all of you!
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with floyd and David.

The typical music library model has you submit three songs and wait 3-4 months to see if one or more is accepted. They accept around 7-8% of submissions. If accepted you are then offered a non-exclusive contract for several years after which they have a right to renew. After that the company pitches the song for you. We are signed to Crucial Music under that model. Crucial states that if you are offered a contract you will get placements (we hope that’s true as they are pitching our song to some big players) smile

Songtradr has a unique model in that you can upload all the songs you choose and then submit then for “music wanted” listings. Again, the licenses are non-exclusive but unlike the other companies you do not sign an actual contract with them.

Regardless, none of the libraries that I know peruse the billions of songs on the net looking for songs to pitch.

All meaning that if I got a notice seeking to license a song from some entity I knew nothing of I’d immediately think scam.

You are certainly taking the right approach by not jumping righ in.

Best to you!

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Will,

Please let us know the outcome of your research.

I would like to know to add to my "scam alert" knowledge base if it is one.

Thanks!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Meget velproduceret. Vokalen fremragende. Alt i alt et meget filmisk track. Kunne sagtens bruges til en dramaserie, - jeg ser straks Broen for mit indre øje. 200 Euro er jo ikke meget. Behols rettighederne og husk at registrere hos Koda.
Vh
Lindbjerg

Musiker. Har lille musikproduktions virksomhed (nodeskrivning, undervisning, studie, oversættelse af bl.a. BIAB). Hvis du synes Band-in-a-Box er vanskelig at komme i gang med, kan jeg tilbyde undervisning via Skype, - også i Cubase. Se min Facebook profil Lindbjerg Musikproduktion
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really liked the song. Very pretty backtrack. Good luck with your publishing.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
It was too good to be true (so David was right)!

I called the "library" in question and had a chat with a senior person. He told me that they had hired 5 students to go and "hunt" for new talents on sites like Metapop, SoundClick, SoundCloud, etc.

Unfortunately the guy who contacted me got a bit creative with the terms and offerings. What he should have written to me was that they would like to offer me a spot in the library and IF they manage to licence my song to somebody they would pay UP TO 200 euro. In other words that could also be 1 euro. smile

Still they want me to give them exclusive publishers rights for 5 years - this would mean that I cannot use (or sell) the song in other places for the next 5 years - even if they don't manage to licence it to somebody.

I politely said "No, but thank you".

Thank you to all of you for giving me good advice and turning on the "red alert" buttons inside me.

I got a lot to learn about this business!
Will

NB: Before somebody is asking about the company's name: I don't think the Library (which is German) did anything wrong on purpose, so I don't see any reason for publishing the name here.

Last edited by Will Josef; 01/04/19 04:40 PM.
User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Lindbjerg & Scott C. Thank you for your nice comments about the song. I appreciate it a lot!

Will

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dear Will,

you always come out with something very special and I've liked all of them until now. And this one is no exception:: AGAIN GREAT, GREAT, GREAT! Where do you get these ideas from...?

I just wrote my opinion on the library issue, before I had read the rest of the thread - now that things are clear I deleted it, of course.

But maybe you're interested in what I experienced: I subscribed to Youtunez who for 99 Euros p.a. bring six of your releases (single songs or albums) into every single shop and every streaming portal worldwide. The turnover was 1,14 Euros in one year, not what I call a good deal cool. Of course my songs may not be attractive enough but even if they were: How are people supposed to find them?

But it was just a try anyway, because I never had the ambition to earn money with music: To me the journey is the reward. And I'm old anyway ;-)))))

My solution: At the end of the year I burn a couple of DVDs and a CDs with the videos / songs that I finished in the course of that year, design a nice cover and give them to friends who I know like my stuff.

I'm really looking forward to what you are going to come up with this year !!!!!

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Will:
Have you considered going into business on your own?
To start with, you have demonstrated the composing and producing talent. If you have the free time, energy, and years ahead, (i.e. still young enough,) are willing to co-venture with digital experts, dealing with people you know, right in your own neighborhood, you might be able to put a business plan together that would permit you to sell music to the growing world music and media market.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Will, first of all, I like your song and I think it's worth a lot more than 200 euros, but getting airplay is the real challenge, isn't it? And I don't know if this is accepted practice or not.

I suppose if it were me, I'd be tempted to take the 200 Euros, but I'd submit a counter offer, where I would keep the royalties.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
It was too good to be true (so David was right)!

To quote the Honorable Floyd Jane:

"Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

smile

User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Dear Stefan,

Thank you for your very kind comments!

Youtunez for sure sound like a bad deal. I have never heard about them before.
I will suggest that you use a site like DistroKid next time - they are much cheaper and you will still get out on all platforms.
There's also CDBaby, but I don't think they accept European customers (not sure though).

I'm like you... I compose music for fun and because I love music. If somebody likes it and want to pay for it.. great! But I don't need the money - I have a great job and I'm 55 y.o., so you won't see me DJ'ing on the next Tomorrow festival. Been there, done that! smile

Happy New Year!
Will

User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Hi edshaw,

(See my post above here).

I have considered to make my own record company / label - just because there are certain sites (like Beatport) who don't accept independent artists (there's also a lot of charts that only will play/list you if you are on a label), but I don't think I have the time to do it because of my day job. Also it would be a bit strange to have a label with me as the only artist... smile

Thank you for listening to my track and happy new year to you!
Will

User Showcase
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for listening and for your kind comments!

Please read my post from yesterday (a few posts above yours) where I explain that the offer wasn't legit.

Got to be careful in this world! smile

Will

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195