Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The other day, after coming back from Christmas vacation with a great idea about how to physically reorganize my music setup, I accidently knocked over my external HD--it head crashed, and I've lost all of my music files, all of my PG setup and related SW...I only have my finished mp3's.

Not sure if it's a sign that I ought to step away from songwriting and focus on something else for a while...discouraging, but restarting clean, with no project history, no unfinished work to fuss over, might be a blessing in disguise.

I still have some completed work that I haven't posted yet, so I'll probably do some of that while I'm rebuilding.

Makes you aware of how much faith we put in little 1's and 0's that can be washed away in an instant..

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Man!! That is my worst nightmare.

Are there not places that can do data recovery on a crashed hard drive?

Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm hoping I can do that and recover something....lots of my family multimedia stuff was on there, as well as a huge digital music library ripped from CD's...hopefully something can be recovered!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

You may be in luck.

If the drive itself is fried, as is the normal case of panic and terror, you are screwed if you did not back up.

But if it is merely the connections to the drive, they can take the drive and mount it into another chassis, or repair the connections, so to speak.

From the way you described it, I can't see how the data itself on the drive would have disappeared if you simply dropped it and shattered the housing. This does not sound like "data recovery" which can costs thousands and does not preserve your file structure or names (you will get thousands of files with names like ACXBJGRT7111.jpg--it sounds like you need a new box to put your hard drive in. Maybe.

Electrical shorts and corrupted disks are usually a nightmare, but in this case, I would take the whole thing in to a computer repair place and see what they can do.

I have a guy here in Raleigh who would mount the disk drive in a refurbished chassis with motherboard for about $65 bucks.

Just a thought.

On another note, there is no such thing as "OCD" when it comes to backup. As they say on the Cakewalk forum "if you only have one copy it does not exist."

I am a big proponent of multiple back up. I also like using portable hard drives "like tape" as is mentioned in another forum here. You can get 5 terabytes on a portable for about 100 bucks now. So I will have a "2018" portable drive with all 2018 files (Business, Pics, Music, etc.) that will get copied to another "master drive" which in turn gets copied to another drive. (Kept unplugged in a triple-locked closet with a solid door of course.) It is also nice to keep one master in a fireproof safe or offsite, like in a bank. It does not take long to do this, and again, you can't be too OCD. But again, I think there is a good chance you might be able to rescue that one.

Good luck.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I'm hoping I can do that and recover something....lots of my family multimedia stuff was on there, as well as a huge digital music library ripped from CD's...hopefully something can be recovered!

You might want to look into an USB to SATA docking station. I have this Inateck model

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-FD2002/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546267955&sr=1-6&keywords=inateck+usb+to+sata

It not only can back up your disks it can also clone them without the computer. Just dismantle your external HD case and pull out the HD and plug it into the docking station. If the head or disk wasn't damaged then it will still be OK.

I have a lot of music software, songs and pictures. I back up my systems C:/ drive with Acronis and copy my data drives via the docking station. I copy one drive, verify it, then clone it two times. I keep two backed up HDs here and one in my bank's safe deposit box.

Good luck

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
David, thanks for the “slap in the head” that backup is a good thing...you’d think that a guy who spent his entire career in tech wouldn’t need that reminder!

Mario...I think I’m going to get that..good insurance, and a nice design. Thanks!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry to hear that and hope the data can be recovered! I have seen several successful examples of data recovered from a trashed HD.

I likely over do it but with my iMac I back up (auto several times a day) to an external drive via the Mac's time machine and I swap the drives every two weeks keeping one in the bank. And for my music files I also back up to iCloud.

Why? I have photos and other files that date back 25 years and I like ready access to everything smile

Best to you with the recovery!!!! I mentioned this to a friend who’s the owner/CEO of a computer consulting firm and he says you have a good chance for recovery. He mentioned the same company Jim linked to.

Bud

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 12/31/18 10:50 AM.
Songwriting
M
M
I too have lost important (to me) music data.. several times in my life. hard drives failing, computers, malfunctioning and corrupting dives.

It's a hard lesson, to teach you to back up your data.. I've been playing music a very long time..Many years ago, a so called friend of mine, had been storing all my old 2 inch 16 track masters of music I did (from the 70's). 5 years of my life. Ultimately, I realized it was my fault for 'trusting' him and leaving them with him for too long.

I took it as a challenge, to keep making music.. If you like creating music.. Do not let this setback deter you.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
+++ HERE +++ is a link to a computer repair and data recovery store in the Charlotte, NC area that is rated AAA+ by the better business bureau. They offer free diagnostics, onsite as well as walk in service.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to a second repair store. This store also has a good BBB reputation.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Well.... it's been said..... back up what you don't want to lose.

External drives are cheap insurance for your projects, considering the amount of work that can easily be put into just one project.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, everyone, for your kind chiding! Jim, I'm going to head over to one of those stores later this week, see what they can do...thanks!

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
IT guy here, so I've got no excuse, either.

Not too long ago, I decided it was a good idea to consolidate all my digital family photos onto one drive. I'd just gotten the drive recently, so I figured that the risk of it crashing was pretty close to non-existent.

Of course, it crashed.

I ended up shipping the drive to someone in San Jose who does this sort of recovery, and he put the platters into another drive and the photos were recovered. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Tano Music,
I feel similar apprehension about windows updates. My computer is hijacked for 3 and a half hours. Do not shut your computer... While praying for no power outage. Then configuration failed... and it takes 3 1/2 to revert back to what it was.... a total of a 7 hour hijacking. While I am doing a Google search on my phone if things go wrong. And the reviews of catastrophes, where backups have proved unreliable in cases...
Still get angry just thinking about it.

I feel for you bro

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Thanks, everyone, for your kind chiding! Jim, I'm going to head over to one of those stores later this week, see what they can do...thanks!
Hopefully you'll achieve good results like David did. I'm looking forward to reading how it went.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195