Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
jannesan #518149 01/16/19 03:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
cool take on some jazz. I like reading the poems of the classic writers.

okay...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice feel. The story and the band bring images from time of gold rush. Excellent arrangement and vocals.

Janne

Thanks, Janne...

floyd jane #518166 01/16/19 04:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice vividly described a scenario with Frank wearing a tilted fedora strolling through different scenes on the set.

She further said the scenes are of different people in a diner, all chrome in B&W, and she could smell the cooking and coffee and see the cigarette smoke.

Then we were melding Frank with Waits and a beatnik scene smile

The allusions to the poem were very effective as was your vocal performance and the terrific jazz group.

This is a wonderful addition to your catalog sitting along with Ybor City, Clare And The Wonderland Waltz and In The City.

Simply superb story telling!

J&B

HearToLearn #518281 01/16/19 04:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
With my bronchitis I'm not supposed to be around smoke; but this club was worth it!

I'm not kidding when I say I NEVER know what your songs are going to sound like. Seriously. Over the course of a few months think of the styles you've covered.Saying it's a Floyd Jane song only gives you that it will be a well written, well produced, well delivered song. Beyond that...you'll just have to listen.

You know I love the "mood" a song creates. This is ALL mood with a great story. What an ambitious lyric write that is pulled off (seemingly) effortlessly.

Quote:
to reveal what the gallant night knows

This line specifically gave me goose bumps/pimples/? with how you sang it. Your timbre was PERFECTION for it. The whole song was sung really well.

I found the bongo solo in the middle out of place though (just seeing if you are paying attention). The sax was beautiful as was the treatment of the bass and drums.

That's all I've got without going on too long. Great song man! Great song!

I will defend that bongo solo to my dying day!!!

Other than THAT, thanks for the great comments!

wink

bluage #518622 01/18/19 05:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim
Excellently thought out, written, sung, & produced...
I also liked the play on Poe's words, like your use of "to reveal what the gallant night knows"...
It makes me wonder...
If Poe were alive today would he only be a poet, or would he also be a songwriter presenting songs on this forum?

Thanks, Jim.

I think if Poe were alive today, he'd be a drugged-out Rock'n'Roll star (much like he was in his own time). Tabloid fodder...

Originally Posted By: bluage
Floyd Jane laugh !!!

God gawd a'mighty! Where you been hidin' that jazz bone you done dug up for this here song, "El Dorado" ??? Will wonders never cease...

Better watch out! Tom Waits might resort to all kinds of trickery to steal this one away from you. It's got the spirit of the night and many bottles to be emptied. Yep, ol' Tom would love this.

"a spatula for his septor
a crew cut for his crown
his kingdom, this all-night cafe..."

Now, listen here, "fj", you gotta...you just gotta know that's as cool and clever a lyric as you ever wrote. You mean to tell me you got all this inspiration from an archaic poem and a news story??? Holy guacamole, Batman! You're a man with many musical souls, yessiree, a reg'lar jack-of-all-jukeboxes.

Please excuse me while give 'er another listen...

Shaking my head in playful disbelief,

LOREN

Loren - Thanks for having a listen and for the fun comments.

Now and again, we should all spread our wings a bit, dontcha think?

Crossroads #518862 01/19/19 06:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Another stunner Floyd. The whole piece conjures up for me a vivid picture and mood which is a masterful thing to have done with a song. The music is a perfect foil to the louche lyrics. And you always write great choruses!
A simply perfect closer to side 2 of the album! wink

Regards
John

John - Thanks for that really nice comment. (Maybe it is time I put out another album smile )

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Floyd,

that is far more than just impressive - a masterpiece.
Congrats on this one!

Stefan

Stefan - I cannot ask for a better comment than that!!! Thanks!

Rustyspoon# #518983 01/19/19 01:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ, putting the sweet stuff aside,

To my taste, from what I have heard of yours, this is one of your best tunes. Period.

Thank you!

Thanks, Misha...

dani48 #519074 01/20/19 03:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

I have the opinion that
this is your best tune
vocaliter that is ! :))

The feeling was there
from the first chord
and held one enchanted
thru til the end !

Absolutely super !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks, Dani!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: W. Tracy Parnell
Great job, very good vocals.

Thanks for having a listen

Scott C #519372 01/21/19 05:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow Floyd what a cool song. So different from your last pieces. Jazzy. Such a great story and so easy to follow. Mix is so clear and precise. Well done Floyd

Thanks for the nice review, Scott...

Torrey Bliss #519602 01/22/19 04:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
MAGNUS OPUS! That term sums up this track. Absolutely superb vocal performance. You're right: An acoustic guitar accompaniment would not convey this song well enough. Excellent style choice. I cannot imagine any other accompaniment working as well as this one.

Thanks, Scott! That is a term I have not seen used before smile ... I truly appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
FJ the master storyteller!! This is certainly a different backing than we usually hear for your vocal/lyrics but man does it work! This is a very good production by any measure! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks for the nice comments, Torrey...

Janice & Bud #519855 01/23/19 07:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hey Floyd totally engaging great write well arrange vocal was super eric

Thanks for having a listen, eric...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Excellent storytelling. All the elements, arrangement, production and performance come together nicely with the storyline. I enjoyed my listen.

Always pleased to hear your impressions of a song and it's production, Charlie. Thanks...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice vividly described a scenario with Frank wearing a tilted fedora strolling through different scenes on the set.

She further said the scenes are of different people in a diner, all chrome in B&W, and she could smell the cooking and coffee and see the cigarette smoke.

Then we were melding Frank with Waits and a beatnik scene smile

The allusions to the poem were very effective as was your vocal performance and the terrific jazz group.

This is a wonderful addition to your catalog sitting along with Ybor City, Clare And The Wonderland Waltz and In The City.

Simply superb story telling!

J&B

Thanks for that fine review! And I love the fact that you would recognize the connection between the four songs you mentioned - they all "come from the same place" in more ways than one... smile

floyd jane #519859 01/23/19 07:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a great song, and a super great story as well Floyd. LOVED THIS to bits

floyd jane #519865 01/23/19 08:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Floyd,

I thought I'd commented on this when I listened to it a few days ago. So much for what I think! Between trips to and from the hospital and taking Di around to various appointments, I guess I just let it get away.

Some folks assemble words into some sort of format. There are folks who write a pretty dang good lyric. There are folks who write and compose a full piece of fabulous music. And then there are those very few who belong to the Floyd Jane Club. And those are the rarely gifted ones who know how to massage the human emotion into blissful submission and take them on journeys no one else can. It's a treat and a privilege to have been massaged by the president of the club.

I agree with my good friend, Stefan. This passes impressive by a huge margin and takes residence with the masterpieces of my era.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Al-David #520074 01/24/19 03:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
What a great song, and a super great story as well Floyd. LOVED THIS to bits

Graham - that is very nice of you to say...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Floyd,

I thought I'd commented on this when I listened to it a few days ago. So much for what I think! Between trips to and from the hospital and taking Di around to various appointments, I guess I just let it get away.

Some folks assemble words into some sort of format. There are folks who write a pretty dang good lyric. There are folks who write and compose a full piece of fabulous music. And then there are those very few who belong to the Floyd Jane Club. And those are the rarely gifted ones who know how to massage the human emotion into blissful submission and take them on journeys no one else can. It's a treat and a privilege to have been massaged by the president of the club.

I agree with my good friend, Stefan. This passes impressive by a huge margin and takes residence with the masterpieces of my era.

Alan

Alan - Thank you - you are always very generous in your comments... Hope all is going well for you guys...

floyd jane #520385 01/25/19 05:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

This is a really, really fine listen!

I don’t recall ever hearing you sing anything before that is so comfortably tailored in the jazz idiom that it could be called ‘bespoke’ jazz. This is a perfect fit for you in every possible way. Your vocals carry the story magnificently in the same way as Bobby Darin’s vocals in “Mack The Knife” (see Youtube clip below); the arrangement is superb (I love that jazz bass – that’s one I haven’t yet discovered); the mix has the kind of clarity that I strive for but rarely manage to obtain. In short, you have excelled (once again)!

Before talking about your lyrics, I’d like to look at the Edgar Allan Poe’s poem that you’ve also included in the thread. Thanks for that smile What I particularly like about Poe’s work are: (a) its AABCCB rhyme scheme and (b) its development of content.

To my mind, this poem serves as a very useful template for any lyricist or songwriter who is looking for ways with which to develop song lyrics. While the stanzas of this poem journey through time, their strongest development is created by the effect that time has on the protagonist.

In the first stanza,

Quote:
Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of El Dorado.

Poe sets the scene. This is largely ‘external’ imagery.
  • Poe gives the reader enough purposeful words to build a clear and vivid picture of a “gallant knight” who has been on the road for some time and whose morale is high. For the most part, these words are ‘external’ in that they show the reader a scene that’s on the ‘outside’ of the leading character in the same way that one would obtain the information by looking at this knight on the stage against a set and watching him journey from stage left to stage right.

In the second stanza,

Quote:
But he grew old—
This knight so bold—
And o’er his heart a shadow—
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

Poe expands on the protagonist's feelings using both external and internal imagery.
  • First we see that he has aged since stanza 1. This visual information is ‘external’; it is something that is on the outside of the character. Then, however, Poe moves us into ‘internal’ imagery with information that we cannot see and that comes from within the mind and body of the protagonist. Poe, as narrator, talks about how the leading character is feeling and how the knight’s morale is waning as the years of searching for El Dorada have taken their toll.

In the third stanza,

Quote:
And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow—
‘Shadow,’ said he,
‘Where can it be—
This land of Eldorado?’

Poe expands even more on the internal workings of the protagonist and also adds abstract and philosophy-like imagery.
  • While failing strength is ‘external’ in that it can easily be seen by those watching the character, it is also ‘internal’ in ways that an audience cannot see unless a narrator provides the information. The information that Poe gives us in the ‘internal’ realm seems to suggest that the protagonist is possibly flirting with either potential madness and/or knows that he is dying.

And in the fourth and last stanza,

Quote:
‘Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,’
The shade replied,—
‘If you seek for Eldorado!’

Poe uses imagery that is abstract and in the domain of philosophy to bring the story to a close.
  • Here the narrator seems to indicate that El Dorado is a death quest (or maybe a fools errand) that never ends. As I hear these lyrics, they are ‘big picture’ images. Poe also figuatively “pulls the lyric’s ‘camera’ back into a long-shot by letting us see mountains, the moon and metaphorical valleys.

Summarising the poem’s development, it can be seen that…

• 1. The setting moves through time.
  • 2. The language starts with external-based, scene-setting imagery.
  • 3. Language then moves from external-based imagery to a glimpse of the internal workings of the protagonist (i,e, thoughts and feelings).
  • 4. The words that Poe uses to ‘bring the story home’ become images that are increasingly based on abstract and philosophical language; metaphor assists this purpose. (From an Internal/External perspective, abstract language is also regarded as ‘internal’ and metaphors have both 'internal' and 'external' components.)
  • 5. In the final stanza, the language becomes philosophical and abstract and pulls the figurative camera back into a long-shot so that big-picture (metaphorical) images are visible.

=====

On to your lyrics now smile

I love the way that you have used double verses followed by a chorus to create four single song sections (just like Poe’s 4 stanzas but lyrically heftier!). I also admired how you used XABBA combined with XAXXA rhyme schemes to build your double verses. Having only two end-of-line rhymes in the second of the two verses helped drive the lyrics into the chorus for me. It’s also worth noting that the first two verses (i.e. first double verse) set the scene and the chorus that follows them is like a philosophical summary of the past, present and future all rolled into one (at least, that’s how my ears heard this section).

Your first double-verse, just like’s Poe’s first stanza, is mostly external information that sets the scene for location and types of character(s). I particularly liked how you used “space”, “spaceman” and “...they all know his face, old man quit putting us on” to establish that this guy is not young and is also seemingly delusional.

In your second double-verse, again similar to Poe’s second stanza, you start with external images and then move into narrative that provides ‘internal’ information in that if the narrator had not passed this information on, the listener would not have been able to work it out because it’s ‘not on the outside’.

Double-verse three now moves into the realm of the abstract with images created by the other characters present. There’s occasional metaphor such as “prophet of doom” and “pawn shop hero” that serves to help emphasise the abstract content of these verses.

In the fourth set of double-verses, metaphor has a field day! This amplifies abstract content really well and develops the lyrics superbly. The listener hears about “ghetto gourmets” and kings with their own versions of septres, crowns and kingdoms. In the very last verse, like Poe, you pull the camera right back into a long-shot so that we can see how everything is happening all at once at El Dorado.

I really like the overall development technique that you’ve used! At no time in the nearly five minutes of listening did my concentration wander. You held me spellbound.

In addition to many terrific and fresh rhymes throughout, I also have to congratulate you on the rhyme “hero” with “beer-oh”. How clever is that! That use of enjambment to create rhyme is one that has pretty much disappeared from today’s lyric writing. The song that I admire most that uses this technique is “Mountain Greenery”. It’s incredibly clever.

Below is a link to an article I wrote for the Songwriting Forum a little while back on “Mountain Greenery” and Lorenz Hart’s rhyming. (I still haven’t managed to achieve this technique! Maybe one day.)

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=426386&Searchpage=1&Main=63658

I thoroughly enjoyed "El Dorado" song. You should definitely do more in this style!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. My apologies for typing so much! It was a very hot day here yesterday (40 C / 110 F) and I had to find ways to occupy myself while cooped up inside. Talking about "El Dorado" filled in the time nicely.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
floyd jane #520829 01/27/19 06:01 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I think rayc's earlier comments sum up this song up best: "A bit of Tom Waits with a gallery of characters ankle deep in life archived by an excellent melody and a fine, fine, fine voice."
I loved the concept of the song as well as the performance.
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195