Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John,
See my post above. I think it fixed the issue.

Also, I was getting crashes and complete BIAB shut downs (no errors or such) when I changed filter / EQ parameters in Sonic.

Seems complete re-installation of both programs fixed this.
Version of my H.Sonic is: 3.2.10.94 (64 bit) Oct 12/2018 (latest)

Veteran
Veteran
Glad you got it sorted Rusty.

What do you guys think of the sounds of Halion as a default synth compared to TTS-1 or others that you may have?

Was first aware that I could use Halion when Fiddler mentioned it, and have to agree with him that it sounds better than others as a default synth.

Just looking for more opinions here.

Last edited by musiclover; 01/12/19 07:41 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
musiclover,

It is a bicycle vs car question.
H.Sonic is the king of GM playback (*software) as of today. To my knowledge....
TTS-1 has its place (I think development stopped about 15 years ago)

I think H.S. should have a demo. Try it smile

Veteran
Veteran
Nope even with new 612 build I still had the issue and I have latest HS and Halion installs. Now that John also reports the same issue - it work until using mixer/part parameters, so there is a real issue.

This might even occur in NON Halion stuff - when I have time I will load up some other complex/multipart capability VSTi's and play around with them.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Larry,
I reinstalled both, BIAB and H.S. and this crash thing is gone for me.

Two things that I did not mention:

A) I reinstalled H.S. by re-downloading it from Steinberg updater program and secondary package to update Halion Sonic to 3.2.10.94 Check your VST version (Click on Steinberg logo in VST-->About)

B) There was a recent Windows update that was pending (Win 10).

So far crashes are not coming back. I was pretty rough on mixer and other controllers of HS, while several channels were playing just to test it.

Misha.

Expert
Expert
Guess that's why mine seems to work OK. PS I have windows update switched off, and let an external application suss out and manhandle the really needed updates.

Veteran
Veteran
I already had the latest Halion Sonic (and I have it because I have Halion 6, so you automatically get Sonic as a bonus) before I ever installed BIAB. I'm going to wait to see for a better solution before uninstalling and re-installing.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John,
you can try downloading just the update package for Sonic 3 (it is a separate package), it is relatively small and reinstall just that. Might do the trick. That should not touch your libraries.

Check H.Sonic VST version. Should be this: 3.2.10.94 (64 bit) Oct 12/2018

P.S. So far, knock on wood, no crashes for me.

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
I just tried for the first time using halion sonic 3 as the default synth with program changes set to GM mode and was able to change volume in the plug in without a crash (so far!). I never changed the default synth before, so now I think I will play around with this. Can one use different plugins per instrument? Might be interesting. FWIW, I am on the latest version of Windows 10, BIAB 612 and latest Halion/Sonic.

Veteran
Veteran
try the pan and volume on the PART i.e., open its mixer and change vol/pan's ?

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
J
J
While being rude fixes nothing. I've gotten mad over this & in turn so has support,but NONE of this is the consumers fault. I'm live on the gig with Access violations between every son g really makes me look bad to the owner & management. Good luck(we all need it)Jim

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim,
if you have "Access" issues with Halion Sonic 3, try my method in this post. It worked for me. Testing for 3rd day, so far stable.

Misha.

J
J
Jan 21st same problem since December 17th.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jford
I got the same result. I used Halion Sonic as my default sound source. As long as I left everything on the mixer (in Sonic) alone, everything seemed to work fine. However, once I started moving the sliders around, I got an exception error and ultimately BIAB crashed on me.

So I can confirm this is an issue.

tried the latest version, there should be something fixed: HS SE 3.2.15

(For Halion Sonic the latest is 3.2.10)

Veteran
Veteran
I'll have to look at the version this evening.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
John

Yes do that I still have the "crash" when moving vol and pan and I have PG support aware of it and they have responded twice I've not heard more back since they recommend I use the then latest 612 build, which didn't fix it

and neither does current 613

if you still have issues then when it crashes (more often using pan then vol) send of the debug that comes up to PG so they have a second sample

FYI I'm still on Win 10 pro Version 1803 (latest build 17134.523) NOT the "October surprise" one that they JUST released (and may pull back yet again)

Larry

EDIT I didn't see the 614 build of BIAB so standby..... Yep same crash so 614 still didn't correct issue with Halion

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/22/19 11:51 AM.

Expert
Expert
Just read these recent posts is about Halion3/6 (also Sonic) and the latest updates on the Steinberg Halion forum:

=============================
MOD MATRIX Offset default BUG

#1 Unread post by abject39 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:04 pm
This isn't particularly a bug but I am almost certain it is a program error. The mod matrix sources offset defaults to -100/-200 instead of 0. It is a bipolar parameter that seems to default in a unipolar manner. I assume this is a mistake.

To reproduce...

1. Open an initialized program in Halion.
2. Navigate to the edit/zone tab.
3. Scroll to mod matrix.
4. select any mod matrix source.
5. Hold Ctrl and click Offset. At this point the Offset will go from 0 to a negative value instead of centered.

---------------
Re: MOD MATRIX Offset default BUG

#2 Unread post by Gerrit Junge » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:13 pm
Hi abject39,
I'm able to reproduce it here. Its now in our Defect-Tracking-System and listed as Bug-ID "HALLY-7733".
I hope we can provide a fix for it soon.

Thanks for your report and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

============================================================================
About a steinberg registry-fix called d2dfix.reg:

----------------------------------------------

New Issue!

#3 Post by Fantacyzer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:02 pm
Since 6.2 there is a new issue: when the d2dfix.reg is activated (Intel HD graphics), cascaded sub menus are not shown. For example - click on modulation matrix "Source" and you'll only see a list of the main menu entries, no indicators of sub menus. Futhermore the selection hook of selected menu entries is not shown.

Obviously the menu font has been changed. The new font ist rather unreadable and probably leads to the above described problems. The previous menu font was perfect - why had it been changed?
--------------------------------------

Re: UI Glitch Query

#4 Unread post by Gerrit Junge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 am
Hi Fantacyzer,
we had to change several things for a better HiDPI support. I'm able to reproduce it here. Its now in our Defect-Tracking-System and listed as Bug-ID "HALLY-7728". I hope we can provide a fix for it soon.

Thanks for your report and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Gerrit Junge
Senior Quality Engineer
VST Instruments
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

====================================
Moral, there are some bugs with Halion, probably Intel graphics related.
F

Veteran
Veteran
I am confused about your post Fiddler - what are you trying say with that post of posts?

Since the crash we, or at least I am talking about,ONLY occurs in BIAB 64 bit, it does NOT, repeat does not, occur in 32-BIT BIAB (yes JBridged to 64 bit). So I would suggest it is something that PG side of the house needs to dig into before looking at Steinberg for a cause & solution.

(and I am no Steinberg fan boy - nor am I a PG "basher."))

Larry

Expert
Expert
Only that there are (more) problems with Halion Sonic (&SE) related to f.i. intel graphics. Steinberg is in the process i think of overhauling graphics in relation to HDMI. Cubase 10 seems loading so much faster compared to 9.5. And that Gerrit Junge is the Halion Sonic man there .... if HS is updated we might see some fixes, and BIAB might not be the problem, only maybe in relation to graphis etc. Read somewhere that if you have a graphics card with an assignable Hardware Acceleration option, one can better switch it off.

Veteran
Veteran
Haven't looked at this or used Halion with BIAB since last post here and last report to PG back in Mid Jan.

Finally got a reply from PG today (they've been busy with other thigns ) they (Kent) says it's all fine on their end.

So I fired up 64-BIT BIAB and switched VSTi to Halion 6, been playing with new Sampletank 4 MAX and remember I use 32 bit BIAB, I have no issues with anything at all that way and I'm a big believer in: "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

In any case, at least with current BIAB release 622 PG Kent is correct - I cannot seem to crash BIAB using Halion 6 and only change was which release of BIAB I am using.

So I suspect OP probably has no more issues either at this point??

Good Luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 03/03/19 06:19 PM. Reason: typical dlsylixa and fat finger typos

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199