Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#515702 01/06/19 06:11 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Repeated lockups - messages of corrupted files - can't save. How are you guys getting anything done in BAIB64 2019??

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
Journeyman
To be honest, because of the droning (stuck) MIDI note problem, I've given up on it until this is fixed. Bummer.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, that is it for the BIAB64, ya it works but it is buggy as hell and I can't get anything done in it. So I am going to try the BIAB32 and see how it goes.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Switched to BIAB2019 32 bit and was able to wrap up a small simple project for a forum member in 45 minutes - sweet. No lockup out of the gate for me here.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Ive only ever used the 32 that came as standard until now.Over the weekend I set up 64.Im not using the midi side just RTs and so far I cant see what the difference is.Maybe thats why.
Wendy

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Now that I've settled down with the 32-bit version it is just like every other upgrade...program still quirky (but in predictable ways) and a bunch of awesome new RealTracks and styles! I'm done wasting time on the 64-bit version and unfinished VST.

With that said...a HUGE THANK YOU to folks like Pipeline and RobH and others who continue to alpha test the VST and share its problems with PGM! If it ever gets fixed it will be in part due to your diligence and we will all benefit!

A
A_R Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Repeated lockups - messages of corrupted files - can't save. How are you guys getting anything done in BAIB64 2019??
I can't speak for everyone but for me the VST and 64 bit EXE are not stable enough to consider using. If I released software in that state to any of my clients there would be no chance of them signing off on it for me to get paid, unless I was being paid in increments and an early beta release was one of the scheduled milestones.

Veteran
Veteran

Dan,

I haven't had any of these problems.

I know that you've probably done this, but just in case it slipped through the cracks... Have you set BBW64.EXE or the start-up shortcut to "Run as administrator"? When I read "can't save", that is usually a sign of this setting's absence.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
[quote=MusicStudent]I know that you've probably done this, but just in case it slipped through the cracks... Have you set BBW64.EXE or the start-up shortcut to "Run as administrator"? When I read "can't save", that is usually a sign of this setting's absence.

Regards,
Noel

Yes. Thanks for asking.

But look close at the error message, in this post
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=515427#Post515427

it is trying to save a 2Meg file of only midi data? That is nonsense. Here is what I concluded - BIAB has never handled VSTs well in the past and it does not at the current time. Do some work, yes, but none work well.

I guess I forgot this for a short time caught up in all this 64bit hoopla. So I just need to return to my prior workflows to get the job done regarding midi sounds. I know we all want to do more in the box, but the reality is it will not replace other tools which are out of the box.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you are having issues with 2019 you can try running 2018-520 until 2019 is working better
look in C:\bb\Data\Backup\bb2018_backup and list it by date modified
copy and rename the latest one it should be 520 and paste into C:\bb
bbw 2018 520.exe and run.
You should get all the new RTs RDs

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
bb2018-520.png (27.19 KB, 249 downloads)
bb2018-2019-Tracks.png (194.61 KB, 243 downloads)
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's Pipeline, that is good to know.

This tread has a unique title so I should be able to find it easily if it comes to that. grin

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
...program still quirky (but in predictable ways) !

That is cute, mind if I steal that phrase? grin

Journeyman
Journeyman
If you are having issues with 2019, you are SOL if you did like I did and upgraded to the same directory that my more or less bulletproof copy of 2017 resided in.

I find even 2019's 32-bit version to be buggier than I want to put up with and I'm kicking myself now for having installed 2019 into the same directory as 2017. And no, I don't feel like reinstalling 2017, so I'll just put up with it and hope PGM works through the bugs fairly quickly.

Journeyman
Journeyman
My two cents.

Over the years, I've noticed that the forum is full of posts about bugs when a new version of BB comes out. It takes a few months for that to settle down. In spite of that, many people rush to buy as soon as the software is available.

So two thoughts come to mind:

1) The software isn't that expensive at full price considering what it does once it gets working properly. So was the discount worth all the trouble you are having?

2) Jford, Noel, the Fogles, Matt and a few others seem to have fewer problems with new versions. I think they know some things most of us don't and that shows in the solutions they give the rest of us. And many thanks for that.

Perhaps it would help the rest of us to study their computer specs and how they set up their files. Do they have a dedicated machine that does not get Windows Updates? Do they turn their wifi off and use a different machine for other tasks such as e-mail? Why are they so successful? Or maybe they just read the instructions more completely smile I don't know what it is, but there is a difference between these folks and the rest of us. I would like to know what it is so I can adopt their practices.

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
my 2 cents worth too

Most people have a multi purpose machine it searches the net, read emails, plays games and does music. That is always going to stretch the limits of what each can do. I use a laptop and yes it has to do more than audio. the best my system ever worked was when I had a dedicated desktop that was music only no other activities. This lappy was music only but my old desktop ate the buckwheat so.

Anyway later this year a new smoking music lappy will be mine and this old dawg will be for everything else.

Last edited by RobH; 01/11/19 06:37 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Expert
Expert
Well, for me the Price if worth a little Patience .... said the Pauper to the Prince.
Knowing PG the lot will run smoothly after some updates, and boy, they seem quick on the draw this year ...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Lucky Luke.jpg (231.57 KB, 160 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
My two cents.

Over the years, I've noticed that the forum is full of posts about bugs when a new version of BB comes out. It takes a few months for that to settle down. In spite of that, many people rush to buy as soon as the software is available.

So two thoughts come to mind:

1) The software isn't that expensive at full price considering what it does once it gets working properly. So was the discount worth all the trouble you are having?

2) Jford, Noel, the Fogles, Matt and a few others seem to have fewer problems with new versions. I think they know some things most of us don't and that shows in the solutions they give the rest of us. And many thanks for that.

Perhaps it would help the rest of us to study their computer specs and how they set up their files. Do they have a dedicated machine that does not get Windows Updates? Do they turn their wifi off and use a different machine for other tasks such as e-mail? Why are they so successful? Or maybe they just read the instructions more completely smile I don't know what it is, but there is a difference between these folks and the rest of us. I would like to know what it is so I can adopt their practices.

Good questions. I can't promise this is true but my impression is that the others you mention have a similar situation as mine, in that I do not take any special actions for BIAB. My music production computer is on the Internet, has WiFi near it, and does everything else including email and other non-music programs. True, I used to have my main computer dedicated to music, but that was more than a decade ago. One thing that may be different is that I have built all my own computers since the early 1980s.

We do know some things about BIAB you don't, that much is correct. The names you mentioned are volunteer beta testers. We had a chance to run the program before it was released Dec. 1. We also get to test updates before they are released (generally a day or two later). As far as reading manuals, I think that's probably accurate but I've been in the computer field since 1977 (as a comp. sci. professor) and I tend to wing it first, then read the manual. Others I suspect are more orderly than I am, but that's good to have a mixture of learning styles doing the testing. Overall, I don't think we have fewer problems than anyone else. In fact, we intentionally try to discover them so they can be fixed: we try to break stuff.

BIAB 2019 introduced two new features that were definitely out of the ordinary, changing to 64-bit and adding a VST Plugin function. I think this resulted in more problems than usual. However, the program is getting pretty stable by now, and the VST is closing in on meeting people's needs. It's an exciting time to be running these programs. For anyone who doesn't like this kind of excitement, then I agree with the poster above who advises waiting a bit. The sales prices are still in effect for another week. Someone purchasing now, six weeks after release, would admittedly have a better experience than those who purchased Dec. 1. But don't forget, many have been using BIAB without any problems.

I hope this helps a little.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert

I'd like to think that I'd never admit, that any computer program was killing me, but I do feel your pain...
Currently 2019 64bit is doing what I need it to do for me, and I'm happy...

I'm still having issues with the 32bit version on my laptop, but the 64bit vers is pretty stable, and both versions are rock solid on the Studio machine...

btw: the only reason I still need the 32bit program is for the ability to export individual generated Audio Harmony parts to my DAW...

Last edited by bloc-head; 01/11/19 07:21 AM.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Matt's assessment. I do read the manual pretty often (and less so use the help file). I suspect because of the length of time I've used the program, I know the PGMusic lingo and as such, know what to search for.

My computer is multi-purpose, as well (I've got three computers - see my sig line).

That's not to say there were not problems. I'm one of the first to notice that 64-bit BIAB started distorting when you deviated even slightly from the suggested tempo (even though not everyone had the problem), and worked long, hard, and persistently with both PGMusic and other users until PGMusic figured out the problem had to do with how the computer performed floating point math in calculating time and pitch shifts for RealTracks, and then fixed it. That was a real potential show stopper, but we stuck with it until it worked correctly. It just took patience to get through it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Before I retired, I use to do IT tech support at a University... 37,000 plus students.

I always liked figuring things out.

So, though this year was a bit buggier than most, I really don't mind. Folks at PG Music are great!

...Deb

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195