Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Seems like this stuff will get done.

To Music Student, I have been where you are. I think all of us have. But in the end, we all agree that nothing does what BB does. So try to hang in.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I get so little time with my music. So when I do sit down I want things to work. Here comes another weekend and when I sit down .... problems.

Now I have to ask... Does the BIAB VSTi work with MIDI?? I just tried to put a couple midi super tracks into Reaper via the BIAB VSTi and all the midi tracks were rendered to audio??

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo

Perhaps it would help the rest of us to study their computer specs and how they set up their files. Do they have a dedicated machine that does not get Windows Updates? Do they turn their wifi off and use a different machine for other tasks such as e-mail? Why are they so successful? Or maybe they just read the instructions more completely smile I don't know what it is, but there is a difference between these folks and the rest of us. I would like to know what it is so I can adopt their practices.

Sorry, but there are a lot (and I mean, A LOT) of reproducible bugs in BIAB, some of them are being addressed by PG Music, some of them have been around for years. Sure that many issues reported here are due to user error, but many others exists no matter if you're using a dedicated machine, turning your Wifi OFF or how well you read the user manual.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I get so little time with my music. So when I do sit down I want things to work. Here comes another weekend and when I sit down .... problems.

Now I have to ask... Does the BIAB VSTi work with MIDI?? I just tried to put a couple midi super tracks into Reaper via the BIAB VSTi and all the midi tracks were rendered to audio??

Yes for some reason all MIDI is saved as audio. I have to remember to clear that folder every time I try the VSTi, which isn't much as I have had problems with it so I just use BiaB.

If you use the master to move from the VSTi to your DAW you will get audio. You have to move each track individually to get MIDI to your DAW, a real PITA for us MIDI users IMHO.

But Peter has indicated that they will work on getting the VSTi to work like other VSTis. That is select a sound source in your DAW and have the VSTi address it. When that happens I will be a happy camper. Until then I will continue to use BiaB drag and drop as I always have.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
If you use the master to move from the VSTi to your DAW you will get audio. You have to move each track individually to get MIDI to your DAW, a real PITA for us MIDI users IMHO.

Thanks Mario, I was hoping you would chime in as I knew you were on top of this. However.... even when I move only the midi track it only brings rendered audio. Maybe this is new with all the changes. But for me there is no MIDI in the BIAB VSTi. Or if there is, I can't find it. So does that make this a user error? crazy

But Peter has indicated that they will work on getting the VSTi to work like other VSTis. That is select a sound source in your DAW and have the VSTi address it.

When? grin

When that happens I will be a happy camper. Until then I will continue to use BiaB drag and drop as I always have.

You and me both. cry

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, how are you trying to move MIDI? I just did an other experiment with the latest updated VSTi and I could move MIDI, SuperMidi, and the MIDI from the RTs that have MIDI successfully to my DAW, Studio One Pro 4. I just dragged the little square by the track name to my DAW.

One major problem that I did encounter was when I dragged some MIDI to my DAW then decided to add another track via the VSTi, which was still open. It locked my system so tight that even Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't work. Thus power off power on and then it took a long time for the system to come up. So the only way to add to an already generated song is to open another instance of the VSTi.

{edit} - FYI - I am not on top of the VSTi usage. I will be using my old drag-n-drop BiaB method for my songs. But I can see where using the VSTi to add tracks to other old method generated tracks may be useful. I'll have to mess with that later.

Last edited by MarioD; 01/12/19 07:09 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sometimes guys I think we whine so much about little things. That we lose sight of the bigger ones. Just a few years ago if you wanted a home studio, you had to record and bounce tracks on a tape reel, and you really had to either play all the instruments or have someNow you can open a program and the darned thing will generate 5 tracks of beautiful wave file in under 5 minutes, 1 minute if you use the main program. These can be used, mixed diced and sliced to your personal taste. I include myself in this as well.

So you have to drag the midi track over individually how long does that take? Like 1 minute.

I also see a lot of conversation about the fact the plugin doesn’t do what the main program does. I do not believe PGM ever meant for it to have every feature the main program does that would be a seriously heavy VSTi.

I can see why some want rewire so the DAW can play in sync with BiaB. I’ll have to mull that over as to the need. It still seems better to me to drag your tracks and process them in the DAW.

All in all I think the plugin is a success after a few patches 90% of the issues are now solved. It works flawlessly in my DAW. Still a few issues to work out but it is very useful.

Don’t take this wrong I’m not chastising anyone just pointing out the facts. Funny thing is that in the 2 decades I have been messing with music software, participating in the forums at Cakewalk, PG, Multitrackstudios, N Track, and more. I have seen a pattern, something new comes out and immediately no one is happy cause it does meet their personal expectations. That’s not to say many of the issues are not real, just that we all want it to do something different and that makes it hard. I would hate to run a software company and try to make everyone happy that buys the product.

Let’s try to see the big picture here somemofmthenthings that have been on the wishlist are here and being slowly worked out.

Just the musings of an old music coot or loon for those Ca adia s in the room.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I think I see the problem.

When I open my all midi .sgu file in the VSTi, I see my yellow midi tracks and also see Super Midi Tracks are green (indicating they have been rendered or the app thinks they are audio and need to be rendered). When I generate the midi stay midi and I can drag them as midi, but the Midi super tracks stay green and are audio only.

This is the same problem I reported for the save VSTs in BIAB. The VST on a yellow midi save but the VST on a blue midi super track does not.

Am I the only one who uses Midi super tracks?

Veteran
Veteran
RobH, what you said is true to a certain degree.

64 bit BiaB worked on my system from the git go. It did have a few problems for others but, as usual and as far as I know, they were quickly fixed by PGMusic. I knew going to 64 bits would have some problems but lets face it the transition was relatively smooth.

BUT the VSTi was a piece of crap from the git-go and definitely not ready for prime time. Lots of fixes for it have come out, again as usual for PGMusic, but it still isn't right for many people, including me: it may be OK for RT users but it is a disaster for us MIDI users. Peter has indicated that they will be working on it so it performs like a real VSTi for us MIDI users so I know it will be done sometime. Meanwhile it is useless for me.

Being an old timer I know that things will get worked out. But if I were a new purchaser that wanted this VSTi I would have gotten my money back and blasted the Internet about how bad it was. I just hope that one new user does that as I want PGMusic to flourish.

YMMV

PS - I wouldn't complain about generation time, although I will never understand why MIDI users have to wait for the wav generations when all we will do is delete them. I remember using computers with tape as the backup. Sometimes I would wait 20 minutes or so just to have an error in the last minute. Thus rewind and start over. Those were not the good old days!

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You are best to upload a screen shot or an animated gif.
This is what I get from a Super MIDI Track:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BBvst-SMT.png (87.49 KB, 144 downloads)
Expert
Expert
If this is audio generated from MIDI one can see even here that the exported audio levels are quite low .... As for audio exports the RTs tehmselves seem OK in the corresponding ReatTrack folders however. IMO a serious flaw making the VST useless for serious work. Why has this been overlooked beats me ...

Still, without leveling and normalizing options, and the long rendering times the 1.9.28. VST is still a mile or 2 off compared to BIAB itself ... although a tested mixdown was plm -3.5 dB peaking, OK for a pre master mix for external processing.

PS The mixed master track was a chaos of out of sync tracks .....

Moral is: NO MORE UPDATES please until the VST basics are fixed .... done enough beta testing.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
You are best to upload a screen shot or an animated gif.
This is what I get from a Super MIDI Track:

OK, since you showed me yours I will show you mine. Here are two pictures for the exact same .sgu file. BIAB 2019 V612.
1) BIAB 32 mixer
2) BIAB VSTi in Reaper

Just as I described the MST go from blue to green just by opening the VSTi,

Hold on just a minute, you are using the "standalone". That's cheating. This is about the VSTi in our DAW Host. All that other stuff (program linked to a program attached to an app...)is just weird.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.PNG (137.21 KB, 248 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 01/12/19 09:54 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
From my experimenting with the VSTi I found that dragging the master to my DAW I will get all audio: for some reason the VSTi wants to work in audio. For MIDI one must drag the yellow square icons just after the instrument's name to the DAW. That must be done one at a time. This works for SuperMIDI also. For RTs with MIDI you would click on the yellow icon that is on the right side of that track.

{edit} I see that you are using the fx version of the VSTi. I am using the regular 64 bit VSTi. That may be why you are not getting the yellow icon. Try the regular VSTi and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by MarioD; 01/12/19 11:04 AM.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is what I get with the same songs:

BBvst-MST-01.png (163.2 KB, 226 downloads)
BBvst-MST-02.png (163.35 KB, 226 downloads)
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pipeline based on your pictures my conclusion is MSTs appear only as audio and do not come over as MIDI

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario,
good catch, I don't for the life of me know why there are multiple VSTis. But So I tried the VST3 and same results as the VSTFX. No midi for MST. I tried the VST and if would not even open the sgu file.

Based on Pipelines pictures I would say we have a confirmed bug since no one can show me a picture where a blue MST does not go to green audio in any of the VSTs.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 01/12/19 12:37 PM.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I got it to work. Inserting a MST from the BIAB VST3 into Reaper. cry

Given that a MST can actually be used in the VST I have to acknowledge that my issues up to this point have been user error. For all I know the instructions are in the Manual.

However, since the work flow I had to discover to get it done is so convoluted, combined with the fact that no one else seems to be having this issue, I am not going to share it. I simply had to work too hard to discover this and for all I know I am the only one who knows this workflow therefore I may now have a competitive advantage with my music. wink

But if you really want to know, PM me and I will share privately. grin

Last edited by MusicStudent; 01/12/19 01:06 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
In fact, we intentionally try to discover them so they can be fixed: we try to break stuff.

Geez, I should be one of your beta testers. I'm extraordinarily good at breaking computer related "stuff." Dunno why, it just happens. Seems like if there's a problem it isn't me finding it, it's it finding me. IOW, I don't really have to look for stuff in order to figure out a way to break it. I just go on my merry way and, if it's a little shaky, I'll find a way to bring it to its knees in short order. And I'm just your regular run-of-the-mill user too.

Expert
Expert
Maybe these MIDI file export settings make a difference with saved SGU or MFU files for VST import?:

BIAB 2019 MIDI export.jpg (101.52 KB, 53 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195