Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< Is there a universal simple setting that would separate two things (BIAB mixer / Halion mixer) into independent sources for future songs? >>>

Not setting but setup, yes. Use the BIAB VST/Halion VST into a DAW and port each track from each VST individually to a track and output to your interface. You could also accomplish the same with a digital mixer with a multitrack interface. The Behringer XR18 would give you 18/18 in/outs for $500. Each track would be independently controlled by its software and you'd control the outputs, Fx's, levels, panning, mixing and routing with the mixer. Similar results can be obtained from a Control Surface such as the Behringer XTouch but you'd still need a separate audio interface to control everything.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Charlie,
Thank you.
this is not about porting to DAW or controlling them in sense "riding" things in live studio rig.
I want to audition select realtracks and compare with midi tracks from imported midi side by side, before rendering tons of wavs, going back and forth between programs.

As I mentioned, it is possible in BIAB (tested!) but very cumbersome. The logical and smart thing would be to open up BIAB mixer to make it more versatile for real tracks and midi.

If this happens, the simplest way would be assign one stereo mixer track as a BUS for monitoring things that come from VST. Get the sound you are after and then render/export to individual wav files to do the mixing in DAW in one step.

I think it is a better approach than involving hardware or exporting huge amounts of data per song just for auditioning purposes. I guess if it is not there, it is a valid item for feature request.

Misha.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< I think it is a better approach than involving hardware or exporting huge amounts of data per song just for auditioning purposes. >>>

I agree. Although the mixer is a one stop hub, in my case, it takes a lot of real estate and is not a permanent fixture in my studio making set up and tear down along with space, so it's not used very often. The situation would be the opposite in a permanent installation.

The mixer is not source dependent and audition options are one, the other, both are neither, all without any latency issues. A good mixer with good Fx would also expand your opportunities to test Fx's side by side without any additional set up. I was looking at your particular issue in the same light as Noel96.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

I believe the present limitation is Band-in-a-Box is limited to one midi port and 12 of the 16 channels are assigned.

One solution would be to add multiple midi port capability to the program. Even if one midi port is added all the present midi port one channel assignments could be maintained internal to the program while opening the remaining midi port one channel assignments and an additional 16 channel assignments on midi port two.

Pipeline uses utility programs to accomplish his goals but having multiple midi port capability built-in is a much more elegant solution than creating workarounds.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (144.47 KB, 173 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jim,

Another solution would be to have an A/B switch for the one MIDI port BiaB has now. The default could be A, as it it now, and B would be all 16 channels open for MIDI, MST, Rts, RDs or any combination of them to be used at the users discretion.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim, thank you for elaborate response!

Quote: "Even if one midi port is added all the present midi port one channel assignments could be maintained internal to the program while opening the remaining midi port one channel assignments and an additional 16 channel assignments on midi port two."

If I understood you correctly, that one extra port, I assume visually an extra mixer channel? That would act as independent midi bus, hosting 16 MIDI channels from VST or such?

P.S. Oh, how I wish this would be a two way communication with developers. If I am not mistaken similar feature(s), (of opening mixer) were requested for years. Not sure what is keeping developers from engaging in conversation?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Mario! Thank you for joining in!

Was just thinking about you while I was typing previous message! I remember you had good idea about this, but could not remember what exactly you proposed smile

I think the BIG question is how to get developers involved? Send them Flowers? Chocolate? Beg? Explain? Demand?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Ideally Options > Preferences (Ctrl + E) > MIDI Options > MIDI Settings could be expanded to include a second button called MIDI Port Settings.

MIDI Port Settings would have 20 MIDI channel settings to reflect the four midi channels not used in the default port and the 16 new MIDI port channels. Change the original port MIDI channels from their defaults and the selections available in the MIDI Port Settings four default port midi channel number selections should reflect whatever unused channels remain.

The twenty MIDI channel settings would be assigned to internal and external connections that would includes: 1) 8 permanent mixer channels, 2) 8 floating mixer channels, 3) available USB ports, 4) User defined A, 5) User defined B.

Mario,

Emulating a hardware A / B switch is innovative but limiting. As you described A / B switch emulation it would allow MIDI use within BiaB or direct all MIDI data outside of BiaB. That all or nothing approach eliminates any hybrid options like use of a VSTi in one or more tracks while also using external hardware.

I don't know how easy or difficult adding additional midi port capability is but other softwares

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (174.83 KB, 166 downloads)
Last edited by Jim Fogle; 01/14/19 04:40 PM.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario! Thank you for joining in!

Was just thinking about you while I was typing previous message! I remember you had good idea about this, but could not remember what exactly you proposed smile

I think the BIG question is how to get developers involved? Send them Flowers? Chocolate? Beg? Explain? Demand?

I have been requesting that PGMusic open up all 16 MIDI channels for years.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Wishes, wishes...
Here is my amateur drawing of what would work for me.
16 channels about 9 dedicated for RT/RD (that can be also substituted for MIDI)
I think PG limited number of these, because by design (at time it was designed) average computers would not have pulled more, or they would suffer. I think expanding it to about 9 possible simultaneous RT/RD channels should not cause significant pain to render.

And a secondary, independent midi bus, which would not re-assign channels and all settings (volumes/ FX etc.) would happen within VST, only to have master volume be available as control from BIAB mixer.

Misha.

mixer.jpg (233.54 KB, 157 downloads)
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

I know you that you and Realband are not good friends and that's a shame really because what you describe above can be done in Realband without too much effort.

Realband combines all the backing creation and generation ability of BIAB and adds to that some DAW capabilities. It also allows for 48 tracks that can be either MIDI or audio.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha, you're essentially asking for what we have all be requesting for too many years to remember. Noel's tip about RealBand will pretty much deliver that now. Or... you can wait...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha, I think that in the early days of BiaB GM was the biggest thing to hit the music world. (Note that GM is General MIDI and not General Motors wink ) People were very happy to just put a song into BiaB, do some harmonies and/or play a MIDI guitar controller and come out with good results; good results being based on that era. They could also DL a song from the Internet and have it play. Those were big things back then and people did not have to worry about assigning channel numbers, picking VSTis, etc.

But in today's MIDI world that has all changed. People have learned how to do those things. With the advent of much better sound sources like Kontakt, SampleTank, UVI, and other VSTis that contain many layers of sounds GM went mostly by the way side. GM is still around but it is not as dominant as it was back then.

PGMusic is moving in that direction IMHO. With first HQ sounds, then SFZ, and jBridge and now a 64 bit and a VSTi, although still a work in progress, things are moving fast toward today's MIDI situation.

I still advocate for an A/B switch for MIDI channels with A being as it is today and B opening up all 16 channels for user discretion. YMMV

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Noel, Videotrack, Mario
Thank you for your replies!

Mario, I was thinking about what Jim said a few posts above and your idea of A/B switch.
It seems Jim's idea is more universal.
If lets say one more "universal" independent midi track is opened on the mixer that can host entire VST without "stealing" channels, that should solve A/B switch, but in a different way. Because in theory, you should be able to use your VST as an independent mixer and have as many channels as you wish, layering styles etc and they would not interfere with 7 channels that are internal to BIAB.

To make this happen, in my opinion, does not require much. As it is all there, but not logical. BIAB renders tracks from VST + BIAB, so even that is solved...

Or am I missing something?

P.S. I wish people who are interested in this would come to a consensus of something universal for different tasks and appeal to Peter Gannon directly with a worked out, balanced solution. A joined, detailed proposal / request from full time loyal supporters.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I guess, no one interested in my proposal... Of jointly figuring what would be a (more or less) universal approach and apealing this as a group...

obviously did not work for years the way it was requested...

A old joke comes to mind...

A guy is casting a fishing rod and a loud voice from above rattles the air:
-There's no fish here!!!
Guy looks at the sky and asks:
-God, is that you?
Voice says:
No, I am the manager of this swimming pool!

In any case, I think asking for this jointly, with a worked out solution might bring more fruit than individual requests.

Misha.

Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I haven't read all the posts as it's so long.
But I did download your BIAB ARRANGER.MGX and had a quick look, the Arranger midi tracks was a bit late and needed moving forward.

If you want to bring a lot of midi tracks into BB use energyXT Vst

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=518287#Post518287

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
pipeline,
thank you for testing! It seems that some of these midi files from vArranger have issues. But most are ok and are usable in BIAB. I accidentally turned this post another topic.... of having more channels on the mixer. Particularly in my case, an independent midi channel / bus would be very useful, which would let use VST as independent mixer. Essentially adding as many channels/ layers as your hardware would allow without interfering with real tracks or the mixer of the BIAB except maybe controlling VST master volume from BIAB mixer on that "independent" midi track.

I want to persuade people who are interested, to have a discussion and come up with something that would suit most and appeal as a group request to see if that will work. To my understanding similar individual "requests" were asked for years without success.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
... an independent midi channel / bus would be very useful, which would let use VST as independent mixer. Essentially adding as many channels/ layers as your hardware would allow without interfering with real tracks or the mixer of the BIAB except maybe controlling VST master volume from BIAB mixer on that "independent" midi track.

That's a pretty innovative concept. Good idea.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Charlie,
Thank you for words of support! It can solve some major problems when those extra channels are needed. Most of credit goes to Jim.

I am surprised this gets so little traction...

Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Have you tried MiniHost you can load it in the BB audio track or a midi track.
You can then load energyXTvst with a 64 bridging file and have a lot of midi tracks that send out to Kontakt.

Mac
Win

Full Screen

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196