Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hey Peeps,

I am co-writing with some good country writers now, and I need some suggestions for a good style, or styles, or even a track list, that would mirror this Luke Combs song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2a9fgPI_PI

(She Got the Best of Me)

I have all of the Xtra Styles except 6 and know my way around with other stuff pretty well, but most of what I am finding sounds almost "too good" for what I need, if that makes sense. It is so good, and so rhythmic, it can be distracting from the lyrics for demos--so I am looking for just a few good styles and "bands" I can add my own acoustic to that will work as a generic song-pitching style. Good basic pounding drums, like this track, and a straight ahead but modern sounding acoustic. Again, the Luke Combs song is a reference for the style I am after. Just something to set vocals to, and not get too flashy.

Anyone got any recommendations on tracks that would make a good band, or styles they like that are close to this?

Hope this makes sense!!!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I sent you an SGU.

Tempo 75

RealTracks in style: 1827:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 3231:Guitar, Electric, Background CinemaHeldHighDarin Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1947:Mandolin, Rhythm PopModernGrooveAndy Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120 - SET THIS TO "HELD" in the Picker - It is not for the solo - it is for "big held chords in the chorus"
RealDrums [in Song:ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

Begin with just Acoustic, drums and bass.
added the mandolin later in the verse (for more flavor)

The Big Chords (solo guitar held) get added in the chorus. And the steel.
The CinemaHeldHighDarin czn be added later in the chorus for more of that "new sound".

Key of E.
Capo 4th fret and play

C G Em7 D

over and over and over...

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I think it needs a snap track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9iox7jH1g

Regards,

Bob

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
David-Will you be able to share your demo here? I would love to give it a listen. Excited!

Floyd-I think that would be a great place to start. Very good advice.

Bob-I saw this a few weeks back and was counting the days until someone here mentioned that video. You all eat that stuff up. I guess go back to a snare drum; because THAT hasn't been done? That guy isn't their market anyway. But at least he knows his market. People like you. smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Floyd!!!!!

You are da man!!!

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Bob,

Can you record some snap samples at 90 BPM, 100 ads 120 and send them top me?

Thanks man!!

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hey Caaron,

I can let you listen but I am not sure I will post all of these.

I have found some co-writers and what I am looking for is something for pitch sessions, that I can tweak and use over and over. Just for a beautiful voice (not mine) to sing over.

They don't want nothing too fancy or distracting for a song pitch as I am sure you know.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
"Bob-I saw this a few weeks back and was counting the days until someone here mentioned that video. You all eat that stuff up. I guess go back to a snare drum; because THAT hasn't been done? That guy isn't their market anyway. But at least he knows his market. People like you."

Nice.

I've never had to avail myself of the "Ignore" function before, but in your case it's appropriate.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Caaron,

I can let you listen but I am not sure I will post all of these.

I have found some co-writers and what I am looking for is something for pitch sessions, that I can tweak and use over and over. Just for a beautiful voice (not mine) to sing over.

They don't want nothing too fancy or distracting for a song pitch as I am sure you know.

smile

All good. I sort of figured you can't; however didn't to miss out if I was able to. I totally respect that.

I'm sure you will do great. Lean heavily on Mr. Jane. I get a feeling he is fairly familiar with LC's catalog.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Nice.

I've never had to avail myself of the "Ignore" function before, but in your case it's appropriate.

I think you are taking what I'm saying wrong.

There's a segment of the population that LOVES anything that is anti-current country radio. You've expressed yourself as being one of them before...as have many others here. I can completely understand where the guy that did the video feels the same way AND was smart enough to put it into a video that got 2 million plus views. I'm sure it will continue to climb too. Brilliant in my book.

I'm simply stating that the music in the video really wasn't created for people like him or you. His video is though! When I saw it, I said to my wife "I wonder how long it will be before this is posted on the forum. Many of them love this kind of thing."

I hope that makes sense. Done explaining myself.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I guess go back to a snare drum; because THAT hasn't been done?

David-I happened to think with how I worded everything this may have gotten lost. I was being sarcastic BUT truthful as well. That song has pretty straight forward drumming. There really isn't much in that song that doesn't lean to a more traditional sound and doesn't give in to the "snap/clap" country Bob was referencing.

The one exception being there are some reverse white noise builds before some of the changes that you may want to consider if you are pitching. You want to give yourself ever advantage. You could consider something like a reverse snare; or possibly cymbal.

Hope that helps in some small way.

That song actually has a fair amount going on it it; if you don't half-arse it.

Best of luck on your venture. It sounds exciting and we are all routing for ya!

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Caaron,

As yet another example you might relate to:

In addition to other people I am working with, a woman came into my songwriting meeting last night and she said she LOVES country and listens to it six hours a day. She told me that the James Taylor type stuff I did last night was "pretty" but she liked country country and wanted to know if I wanted to write some country country with her. I asked her to to send me a list of her top twenty favorites, and I actually love a lot of them. There is some great stuff out there. Luke Combs is great. And he's from the mountains of North Carolina.

So I immediately asked her to co-write a whole bunch of stuff that celebrates country, and people who love country like her, not make fun of it, because I have a wild suspicion that if I just let her write the lyrics based on the kind of songs and performers she LOVES and I just write the chords and tweak the song (which I love to do) then people in Nashville who LOVE country might say:

"Well, Mr. Snyder, of course you can see the Wizard! You never said you wanted to see the Wizard! I thought you hated the Wizard. But if you love the Wizard, well come right in!"

That is the experiment I am running, among other similar opportunities.

In other words, I nod my head with deep reflective listening at the people who say they hate modern country, but for my time management purposes, I am going to co-write country with the girls who are in love with it.

Make sense?

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
David-you totally get it; and I understand what you are saying. To me, it sounds like you are playing it smart!

A few years back (ok, more than a few) Berklee was teaching writing classes and included a section on how to make the "star" believe they were more involved with the writing process than they were so that they really felt it was their song. I'm sure that was going on LONG before it was being taught in class. lol

I agree with the Luke Combs stuff. I think he relates to a broader base than many of the artists. He's a good ol' boy with some great music; if you ask me. I've seen interviews with him; and you can't help but like the guy. He's earned it; no doubt.

David's off to see the wizard! The wonderful wizard of (sorry if I type more I might run into copyright issues. wink

I'm very excited for ya man! Keep the stories and any updates you have on your path comin'.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Caaron,

As yet another example you might relate to:

In addition to other people I am working with, a woman came into my songwriting meeting last night and she said she LOVES country and listens to it six hours a day. She told me that the James Taylor type stuff I did last night was "pretty" but she liked country country and wanted to know if I wanted to write some country country with her. I asked her to to send me a list of her top twenty favorites, and I actually love a lot of them. There is some great stuff out there. Luke Combs is great. And he's from the mountains of North Carolina.

So I immediately asked her to co-write a whole bunch of stuff that celebrates country, and people who love country like her, not make fun of it, because I have a wild suspicion that if I just let her write the lyrics based on the kind of songs and performers she LOVES and I just write the chords and tweak the song (which I love to do) then people in Nashville who LOVE country might say:

"Well, Mr. Snyder, of course you can see the Wizard! You never said you wanted to see the Wizard! I thought you hated the Wizard. But if you love the Wizard, well come right in!"

That is the experiment I am running, among other similar opportunities.

In other words, I nod my head with deep reflective listening at the people who say they hate modern country, but for my time management purposes, I am going to co-write country with the girls who are in love with it.

Make sense?

smile

run that experiment.... I'm curious what the powers that be, the guardians of the gates, would say. Let me know how that goes.

And.... I really, really, need to make the effort and set the time aside to get back to a few of the meetings this year.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/18/19 05:49 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I watched the Luke Combs video. Then I watched the Snap Track Video. They sound pretty much the same to me.

Yes, one has perhaps a drum kit, but there's nothing interesting going on. The beat is just about the same.

Caaron, now might be the time you want to ignore me as a modern country hater. I wear the arm-band proudly.

The prevalence of the old-school RnB snap-track in the supposed country songs is downright funny. I think the guy that made the video is on-point, except he points to Luke Combs' song as being refreshingly different than the snap tracks. Just listen to Luke Combs' "Houston We Have A Problem" - there's the drum machine for you with the listless snap-track beat.

It's not the drums that are better in the Luke Combs video he uses - Combs' lyrics are just a little bit more interesting than the last 10+ years of bro-crap-rock of cutoff shorts and pickup trucks and parties in the woods or down by the river. However, in 'Houston...' it's like he is just name-checking country culture checklist points.

But quite honestly, country got crappy WAY before snap tracks. Snap tracks have been crappy for decades no matter what the genre. The crowning clever thing that the snap track video guy did was put one over top of Allison Krauss' vocals. Almost, just almost, makes her sound like crap. And the guy writing to his pastor over a slow-jam snap track - that is quite creepy; not just because his point that the snap track is the fodder of seduction songs from 30+ years ago, but that this made it past all the gates of review and potential rejection at the record company. Was ANYONE listening to the lyrics? Or were they all slow-jam dancing in the review room as they listened?

As for great storytelling, mainstream country lost it's way decades ago. There have been some clever lyricists in country recently; one that is easy to recall is Kasey Musgraves' Space Cowboy. That chorus line is one of the best turn of meaning in a phrase in ANY music that has become popular in a really long time. It makes me smile each and every time I hear it. But, dang - it's so rare in all of pop music, let alone country which did use to stand for storytelling.

So much of modern country is just plain manufactured schlock replaying the same old stories. The stuff on the fringes is the only interesting stuff. I'll take Junior Brown telling about trouble with the law over Keith Urban's haircut every time - at least he can rock the tele/pedal/whatever that thing is that he plays. Some of what Junior does just tickles the funny bone, all the while taking virtuosity - not unlike the great Roy Clark.

The bro-rock pickup truck theme is as old as 1992, and maybe older than that. I'm pointing to Chattahoochee (sp?) by Alan Jackson. The beer party in the woods theme goes back at least that far. At least that song wasn't warmed over rock, but the lyrical theme is there. Maybe someone here more drenched in the genre can point to an earlier example than Chattahoochee?

The problem goes way beyond country however. It's all music that is tracking on any billboard charts in the top 100. You could take any genre and do the same kind of analysis that this guy did in snap track prevalence in what is now called country. It's all going to have commonalities that stand out the way factory manufactured music works.

For example, the music that I play the most live - modern worship - which charts just as high as these other genres these days - has a really disturbing trend primarily amongst some of the female singers - it's called indie girl accent or something like that. It's where words like Jesus, which most Americans pronounce something like 'Gee-Zuhs', accent on the first syllable. Well, indie girl accent turns it into an exercise of using every possible dipthong that is available, so it becomes 'Gee-ah-zoo-iss'. The word 'Good' becomes 'Goo-uh-eed'. It is all over recorded modern worship music. There's one girl, Lauren Daigle, who sounds like Adele - which is both good and bad, but she does these ridiculous dipthong exercises on so many vowels, that it distracts from the meaning of the lyrics. Adele does it some, but not as noticeable as what is happening with LD's voice.

You can hear the indie girl singer pronunciation with any of the singers on American Idol or The Voice, where the judge says something like 'you took that classic song and made it your own'. It sounds like a cat meowing.

Oddly enough, one of the persons who has been likely most ridiculed for this is not a female singer, but male pop star Sean Mendes.

Here's a scholarly article on indie girl voice with all kinds of examples:
https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/10/dialect-dissection-indie-girl-voice.html

Copycat behavior of ridiculousness is not limited to modern country snap tracking. It's everywhere, and has been part of pop since pop became a thing. Think of how silly doo-[*****] all sounds the same. Or the prevalence of the straight, non-vibrato 'aaaaah' harmony vox of Elvis' 'Hound Dog' days. Tapping guitar solos of the 80's after Eddie started it. Snare drum sounds of 80's music. Press-roll snare after Coldplay made it popular. Farty tuba basslines in Banda music. It goes on and on.

Now, one thing I did learn that I had never noticed before by watching snap-track guy's video: Dolly Parton could play a gut-string guitar with inch and a half long fingernails on her FRETTING hand. That's impressive! I had never noticed that before. I don't know about you, but my classical guitar has a table-top flat fretboard, and I'm not sure I could fret the correct note EVER with nails that long without just a little bit of radius.

Thank God for the internet and fringe country as well as Goodwill stores where I have amassed my George Strait collection (never was a fan back in the day - but like Tom Petty, he's grown on me in my older age).

Old man rant over.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Now, one thing I did learn that I had never noticed before by watching snap-track guy's video: Dolly Parton could play a gut-string guitar with inch and a half long fingernails on her FRETTING hand. That's impressive! I had never noticed that before. I don't know about you, but my classical guitar has a table-top flat fretboard, and I'm not sure I could fret the correct note EVER with nails that long without just a little bit of radius.

Yeah, Dolly is pretty amazing I have to say. I really don't think there is anyone like her; and I think she is a combination of very intelligent, very talented, and a hard worker. I would also add in under-rated.

Quote:
Thank God for the internet and fringe country as well as Goodwill stores where I have amassed my George Strait collection (never was a fan back in the day - but like Tom Petty, he's grown on me in my older age).

Those songs haven't changed. You did. And...if I understand you correctly, you will be loving Luke Combs, and artists like him down the line. Just not when they are current? wink TOTALLY kidding. smile

Here's the thing, like what you want, hate what you want. That's totally your right and I would never tell someone what they should like. My problem isn't with that.

My problem is, and always will be that someone comes here and asks a question such as what this thread was, and people feel the need to not help, but instead weigh in with why they feel it sucks. Not helpful.

Start a thread and have at how much you hate any kind of music. Be my guest. But I really feel the spirit of the forum is if and when someone asks for help, it should be about helping.

Now if you or anyone else is trying to help David from going down the evil road of this genre of music; I would understand that more. lol smile

For the record, I don't think David is one that can't hold his own by any means. smile

Also, for what it's worth, you had some great points in your response. I did enjoy reading it.

Now I'm off to listen to Eddie Rabbitt's "Love a Rainy Night" and "Elvira" from the Oak Ridge Boys, to learn more of the great story tellers of the grand days of county. wink

...and now back to you David. How's it going so far?

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Well Caaron,

On the how is it going part, I asked if anyone had any good styles that they could recommend for song demos that would be uncluttered and not too "fancy" as a bed for some work I am doing with other writers.

We are in pitching mode and collab mode and we want some BIAB styles or track combination suggestions that are good for that. (Many styles are ingenious for production but are too fancy for pitching, as you know.)

The Luke Combs song was merely put out there as a reference of a solid, simple sound that works.

I got ONE response to the original question.

From Floyd.

His style will work well as a starting point (if you add or subtract parts) for any song from 75 to 110 BPM.

Thank you Floyd.

In the meantime, one young lady I have been working with has come up with a bunch of great song ideas we are working on, so I will have to spend most of my time working with her on carving these songs out and less time debating whether modern songs suck.

Caaron, does that answer it? Oh, I see it is time to go to church!!! (I play in a Praise Band too, Y'all.)

Peace out!!!!

"Hey son, if you hate modern church so much, why don't you go write your own church songs."

--George Frideric Handel's father.

"Ok I will!!"

--Handel

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
I agree in many industries there does seem to be a formula, especially if the process is fast and profitable, I would say selling music is not much different. Much as you or I may not like it, those songs must be making money. But playing in the game is hard and being an an arm chair quarterback is so easy.

Last edited by Belladonna; 01/20/19 07:17 AM.
Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Caaron and David, I guess it’s also about posting in this particular forum on Songwriting that kind of opens the topic wider.

David, you probably SHOULD do some of the demos with a snap track backing.

You can write songs. My understanding is that you’re trying to get Nashville folks to listen.

I would do the same exact song with a snap track and with some shuffle snare and press roll snare rhythm a third time around. Just the guitar and the singer and the snap track for version 1.

Maybe there should be a forum category called: help me mimic xyz using styles to separate out songwriting from demo producing?

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
It's easy to be an arm chair quarterback, so why aren't you out there playing in the game?

Hey Belladonna, I have to admit, I'm not sure who this is for?

Could toy please clarify? Thanks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195