Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
If I need to reinstall my OS for some reason (upgrade, corruption, drive failure, a dreaded virus, etc...) what should I save from the C Drive (if possible) before reinstalling the OS so my BIAB keeps it's activation.

I have multiple computers at my house (2 desktops and a laptop for traveling) so I have used all 3 activations and cannot afford to loose one.

After you reinstall your OS you would need to activate BB again. This should not use up another activation because it is the same computer. However, you can contact us to get an additional activation if you need.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
We have seen an increase of links in emails, especially commercial. If it is something like "Staples Preferred Customer," I usually bite. Now, though, it seems like everyone wants to include a link.
The thing that has saved me, by reminding, has been gmx.com email feature that stops that practice dead in its tracks. New Years Resolution -- no more unknown clicking, regardless.
I also think google avoidance is a good idea.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Be interesting to see what/which SW (BB - probably not, iLok SW, Steinberg SW, and others) thinks I have a new "machine" when I swap out CPU's on same MoBo later this week and whine about needing to re-authorized

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Be interesting to see what/which SW (BB - probably not, iLok SW, Steinberg SW, and others) thinks I have a new "machine" when I swap out CPU's on same MoBo later this week and whine about needing to re-authorized

Larry
You forgot Windows. Microsoft will probably want to activate with that major a hardware change.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Notes,

You are truly a man after my own OCD heart.

In every way.

smile

Thanks.

But I confess, not in every way.

Only in the things that seem important to me. smile

Data is important to me because it is impossible to replace.

---

I used the life boat/life jacket analogy because I used to own a sailboat, and I also worked on cruise ships for 3 years.

If the boat/ship you were on was in distress, you can't stand on the front lawn and watch your ship disappear.

So when anyone boarded my sailboat I showed them where the life vests were stowed and made sure they knew how to use them.

When working on the cruise ship, I located where the life boats and rafts were. Every crew member did. But I took it upon myself to learn where the extra life rafts were and how to launch them.

It's a matter of life and death.

---

On the gig I bring all my self-produced backing tracks on a computer. I have a second computer booted and ready with duplicate tracks on it at all times. If something happens to the first computer, all I have to do is switch the USB to Audio Interface to the spare computer and the show goes on. I've had to do this twice since 2002, and the customers never knew anything was wrong.

My wind synth can cover any parts if my sax, flute, or guitar breaks on the gig, so I bring two wind controllers and duplicate sound modules. I've never had to use the spares, but if I do, it will save the gig.

---

I'm even more careful with the data my customers give me.

When you buy something from Norton Music, there is no option to save your credit card info for future use. Why? If it isn't saved in my shopping cart, there is no way someone will be able to hack it.

I don't download credit card numbers to my office computer, and I store my customers names, addresses, and e-mail on an encrypted, external drive. It's only connected to the computer when I need it. If it isn't on-line, it can't be hacked.

Even if someone breaks into the office and steals the external drive, they will have to guess a very, very, very long password key to get a physical and e-mail address and know which encryption software I use.

I just feel that's my responsibility. If one of my customers gets hacked, it won't be because of me.

---

But for things that don't matter I am pretty relaxed about them.

Hopefully I have the wisdom to know the difference between what is necessary and what is not wink

I think as far as my data is concerned, I have that covered.

Insights and incites by Notes.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
1) Log off when finished.
2) Right click on links.
Select "copy link address."
Paste in browser, click after removing
redirects and IDs from the address.
3) Running multiple browsers can help keep them away.
4) Set CC Cleaner to run on browser close.

Last edited by edshaw; 01/11/19 02:15 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: edshaw
We have seen an increase of links in emails, especially commercial. If it is something like "Staples Preferred Customer," I usually bite. Now, though, it seems like everyone wants to include a link.
The thing that has saved me, by reminding, has been gmx.com email feature that stops that practice dead in its tracks. New Years Resolution -- no more unknown clicking, regardless.
I also think google avoidance is a good idea.

There are more and more quite official looking websites appearing, usually short lived, with all the logo's etc. From especially fake web shops, banks etc; be aware, they're after your credit cards, login codes and worse. And at times they get hold of your email address and passwords due hackers activities on poorly protected websites. If you're worried about your email, check here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been getting a lot of spam lately telling me my account has been hacked and wanting me to pay them in bitcoins.

They say they have been filming me with my computer's camera while I was watching inappropriate comment and if I don't pay, they will expose me.

Well, first of all, I don't have a camera on my computer, secondly I read about this scam a couple of months ago in PC Magazine, and thirdly, there was another thread here some time ago from people who got this scam before me (I think Joanne Cooper gave us the first heads-up - thanks).

There are a lot of people out there that want to part you from your money. Doing it via spam is easy because it doesn't cost them hardly anything. They buy a list of e-mail addresses, send out zillions of spams, and if one in a thousand recipients are fooled, they can make tons of money.

It's good to be aware, to never click a link in unexpected e-mail, to ask your friends before clicking a link, to have a good AV app on your computer, to add MalwareBytes to your protection, and to keep full backups including some older ones.

There is nothing you can do to keep yourself 100% safe, but by being careful, you can minimize your risk down to 1% or less.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I've been getting a lot of spam lately telling me my account has been hacked and wanting me to pay them in bitcoins.

My son in law (ICT expert) says ignore those, >AND NEVER REPLY< ! You might set an autofilter and send them if possible automatically to your spam box.

I use 360 Total security paid for 2 years now, only 12$ per year; i never get them any more, and it has a lots of tools like only passing through the serious windows updates, a ransomware repair and blocker, a lot more ...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007

My son in law (ICT expert) says ignore those, >AND NEVER REPLY< ! You might set an autofilter them if possible automatically to your spam box. <...snip...>

I know, never-ever reply. I tried setting up a filter at my web host, but they keep changing their tactics to get around the filter. I just shift+delete when I see them.

I know it's just a numbers game. Sooner or later they will mail to a guy who watches p0rn and is gullible enough to send a few hundred dollars in bitcoin and the scammers win.

If we all were intelligent enough to never respond to spam and scam, it wouldn't be profitable, and would most likely go away. But that will never happen. So in the meantime it's just a PITA.

Last edited by Notes Norton; 01/18/19 04:13 AM. Reason: the auto censor - so I had to use a zero instead of an o

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
PS i listened to some of your fakebook demos recently; bought some Atari diskettes 25 years ago LoL. OK sounding stuff etc, but IMO not a real fakebook as with melody, chords and lyrics as i am used to buying in the past. I know, copyright issues, but most songs i don't know, and as such mean nothing to me without a melody at least ... You must have made them along a melody line probably, and threw it out later? F

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I totally understand Fiddler2007.

I tried getting the rights to the melodies but ran into stumbling blocks. Many copyright holders simply refused. The ones that agree wanted to charge up to $2.50 PER SONG to use the melodies.

I wrote back, "$2.50 per song? I can buy them in a fake book for a few pennies per song." and they answered, "So buy the book".

So for almost every one of my fake 'disks' there is a link to Amazon to buy the book. You can open the book, load the BiaB file and play away reading the melody from the book. Lyrics are also included.

It's the workable and affordable compromise. My fake disks have up to 850 songs in them, that would be about$2,000 in royalties at $2.50 each, I don't think many could afford that.

You don't have to buy the book at Amazon, many are available at book stores or your local Mom & Pop music store will be happy to order it for you.

There are a few fake disks that I offer that no longer have books, as they have been discontinued by the manufacturer. If you click the Amazon link there might be a used one for sale.

Also, they no longer are physical disks, but instant download files. I started calling them "Fake Disks" when they used to go out in the mail on either 5.25" or 3.5" floppy disks. The physical disks are gone, and I just don't know what to call them if I want to rename, so "disk" hangs on in title only.

But then we dial phones when the dial hasn't been around since touch tone buttons. We honk car horns when there are no more horns but some kind of digital noise maker. And so on. So virtual disks aren't too bad.

Amazon has some of the lowest prices for these books that I've found, which is why I direct you to Amazon. Barnes & Noble is often competitive, and there are other sources.

Personally, I like reading from the book as BiaB plays, because it's easier. The entire song is visible and doesn't have to do that change screen thing in BiaB. Just open the book start the BiaB file and have fun.

And to get back on topic, the physical books can't have malware or ransomware included.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
And to get back on topic, the physical books can't have malware or ransomware included

Se lets dump all computers, back to the 20-ies .... Or maybe buy some of your (faky?) fakebook collections and download the melodies elsewhere, not from you of course LoL. A server stationed on some off limits Indian Territory gambling grounds?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is good use for both old and new technology. The thing to do is to find out what combination works best for you in the situation you are faced with.

Because it's new, doesn't mean the technology should completely replace the old. In many cases they coexist nicely. Example: On the gig sometimes I use the acoustic sax (old tech) and sometimes the Wind Synthesizer (new tech) depending on the needs of the song. I even use the synth for sax parts on some songs because it's better for that song. Example: Acoustic guitars were not replaced but newer technology electric ones.

Opening a fake disk song in BiaB and reading the melody out of the book has its advantages, besides for saving thousands of dollars. In the book, the melody is usually available without turning pages. The BiaB screen updates and you can only see the number of bars that are displayed on the screen. On paper I can see the entire arrangement before starting to play, the DS or DC, the Coda, the repeats, and I also get expressive commands like ppp or ff, crescendos or diminuendos, words like dolce or sweetly, time signature changes, and other information lacking in BiaB.

There are those who love this arrangement better, and I'm sure some who wish the music publishers would allow melodies and lyrics to be put on BiaB at an affordable price.

There is more than one way to make music, and what is right for one, may or may not be right for another.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I find that Notes' fake book discs are really great. I use to type in all the chords to a fake book's song then site read the lead; I have the corresponding fake books. Now I just pick a song from one of Note's discs and site read in just a matter of seconds. It's a great time savor.

Sometimes I find a song that I want to do more than just site read. I am currently working on the song "Where or When". I am trying to play trumpet 1, trumpet 2, alto and tenor sax via my wind controller and adding a guitar part. It is a learning curve but a fun one.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195