Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#521663 - 01/31/19 02:01 PM [User Showcase] You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife)
Loc: Columbia, MO
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Tomorrow is our 27th anniversary (Feb 1). I wrote this song and recorded it for her for our 25th anniversary, but now I'm polishing it up for my album.

You Are My Song (Vicki's Song)

YouTube Video: Your Are My Song (Vicki's Song)

I did all of this before I got Band in a Box in Reaper (My DAW of choice), and I did it to the best of my ability, recording a rhythm guitar track and a pattern picking guitar track played by yours truly. I played xylophone on it, too, and it took me many, many takes to get it right because I do not really play xylophone.

I faked the bass track by shifting the rhythm guitar track down an octave and putting a low pass filter on it. Not too bad. And I'm rather proud of my midi drum track I programmed every beat - to sound exactly like what I wanted. I used the VSTi plugin MT-PowrDrumKit by Manda Audio.

It was basically all monural, I hadn't panned it at all. It was a pain to get the volumes of the tracks adjusted so that it didn't all sound like one big muddy mess, I think because of the lack of panning. And my original vocals were not up to what I'm capable of now. So I panned everything, added ONE Band in a Box track (I looked so hard for something that fit the feeling of the song, this is all I could find but it did the trick), "1593: Fiddle, Background Pop 16ths Ev 065". I actually generated two different arrangements and used some of both in it.

And I re-recorded all of the vocals except for my "Ooooh" tracks.

The original lyrical inspiration was the realization that the best things in my life, our kids, their wives, and our grandkids ... and of course her ... she is the center of all that. "Everything that's good in my life revolves around you". That line just popped into my head. It sounded like Peter Cetera singing it (it did!). But I don't. I did throw a little tribute to him in there in the backup vocals the first time I sing it. Subtle. But it's meant to mimic his style and a bit of his sound.

It has also occurred to me that ... yes, more women find me attractive now than they did before her -- but that I wouldn't be the guy they are attracted to if it hadn't been for her. She gave me space, supported me, and allowed me to develop social skills and talents along the way. I owe it to her.

The rest of it -- well when I think about what my life was like before her, how she basically rescued me from a life of depression and yeah, frankly lonliness. I had a fairly socially sheltered childhood and I had crappy social skills through college. I met her basically at the end of my college days. She was the single lady downstairs with two young boys, who eventually became mine.

She saw something good in me and allowed me to develop. And, well, here we are, 30 years later, married for 27 of them. What can I say?

It's about ready to re-present to her tomorrow. Well she knows I've been working on it. She can hear me through the door in the studio. But she hasn't heard the new mix. It's way better.

You Are My Song
(Vicki's Song)

I was alone and lost
And tossed across the open ocean
A message in a bottle
Longing to be found and opened
Wounded, weary, wandering
Burning in the salt of my own tears
From chasing after butterflies
For so many years

You came along like a melody ...

Now you are my life
You are my song
You are my love

Without you by my side
To help me find my way
I would never have become
The man I am today
Living, loving, learning
Laughing in the face of my old fears
I'm running with the butterflies
After so many years

You came along like a melody ...

Now you are my life
(You came along and the message is a song to be sung to your melody)
You are my song
(Put 'em together and you have a love letter that was written for you and me)
You are my love
(Now it seems you're the answer to my dreams
'cause everything that's good in my life revolves around you)

Without you by my side to help me find my way
(You are my life)
I would never have become the man I am today
(You are my song)
Living, loving, learning - now everything that's good in my life revolves around you
(You are my love)

Edited by Phil Leith (02/01/19 09:25 AM)

#521680 - 01/31/19 03:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Very, very, very good...
Dripping with honey...
A nice 27th anniversary gift indeed!

#521763 - 02/01/19 03:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
LOVE this one Phil, your wife must have been thrilled to bits

#521788 - 02/01/19 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: furry]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Thank you. Furry!

She cried. Tears fell all over me.

Happy cry.

Edited by Phil Leith (02/01/19 06:50 AM)

#521789 - 02/01/19 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Jim]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Then I have succeeded! Mwaaa-haaa-haaa-haaaa-haaaaaa!!!

Thank you, Jim.

Edited by Phil Leith (02/01/19 06:50 AM)

#521793 - 02/01/19 06:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
I can see why your wife loves this. "You came along like a melody": This is the perfect line. For songwriters, a melody seemingly comes out of nowhere and is the most beautiful thing to us. The chorus is exceptional. I think you've captured the thoughts of all happily married men. Thanks!

#521801 - 02/01/19 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - this is a beautiful tribute, Phil smile I love the harmonies, and you can truly hear the sincerity in your voice on this song. Nicely catchy as well, and showcases a strong understanding of songwriting as well.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

#521813 - 02/01/19 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Thanks, I kinda am, Deryk :-)

#521855 - 02/01/19 03:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this Phil, very inspiring and capitivating lyrics. This very clearly evokes a mood. Well done!

#521916 - 02/02/19 01:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the touching story behind the lyrics. Really lovely song, beautiful melody and catchy chorus. I like the transformation from "chasing after butterflies" to "running with the butterflies"

Janne

#522009 - 02/02/19 10:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Cool tune Phil. Super vocal and backtrack. Well done

#522033 - 02/02/19 01:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Very nice and sentimental song.
Nice listening.

Sergio

Sergio

#522070 - 02/02/19 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
You did a beautiful job on this Phil! The programming on the drums was fantastic, you achieved an excellent sound and avoided the pitfalls so many face in trying to do too much or be to repetitive with fills and such! What I am most impressed with though is the vocal work! The lead vocal is very good....so smooth and resonates so well. The background vocals send this one over the top for my taste. I loved those suspended harmony parts in the chorus! Happy anniversary to you and your wife and congratulations on an excellent track! Thanks, Torrey

#522133 - 02/02/19 10:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Fantastic production from start to finish. Beautiful, warm, sung with feeling and just so well presented.

Vicki must be just so very happy.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#522203 - 02/03/19 04:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Phil,

Beautiful song. Nicely mixed and a very cool vocal.

Bob

#522243 - 02/03/19 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Phil,

A very nice song. Good arrangement and a good mix.

The vocals are exceptional.

Congrats!

fj

#522415 - 02/04/19 07:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

That makes me feel really good, Torrey, thank you. I *still* struggle with liking my lead vocals and I even know I've gotten a lot better. It's probably true with everyone here, I hear every little thing I think could sound better, while others just hear the music because they're not comparing it to what's in my head.

The harmonies ... if you've been following my stuff I'm big on that, always have been. Such a huge fan of The Beach Boys, Beatles, Crosby, Stills, & Nash, Mamas & Papas, the Byrds, the Hollies ... and the harmony has a lot to do with that. I also used them a lot before BIAB because I can barely play the guitar, much less other instruments, and so I filled a lot in with a lot of backup vocals and I think it's just kind of become my "style".

#522419 - 02/04/19 07:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Cool song

very nice vocals

good mix and arrangement

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#522568 - 02/04/19 08:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: jannesan]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Thank you, Janne ... from Finland, no less! I liked that turn of phrase as well ... it just flowed naturally.

I have to tell you, I live in the middle of the US, in Missouri. When I was a senior in High School, we had this Finnish exchange student named Johanna ... man ... easily the most beautiful girl in our school that year. Very nice young woman. Looked her up recently, she's an eye doctor in Helsinki today, and looks just as stunning at 55.

Sorry. "Finland". It's a "trigger" for that wonderful memory. :-)

#522685 - 02/05/19 10:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: You Are My Song (a power ballad for my wife) [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Excellent harmonies!

Enjoyed the listen.

J&B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32846 Members
68 Forums
66147 Topics
561655 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
AveryT, Hans Franz 12, Marik, midisynth, uhv14437@cuoly.c

32845 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 155