You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#521632 - 01/31/19 10:23 AM [RealBand] Separated drum tracks?
Loc: Ottawa
Antho1965 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ottawa
So I am wondering if there is a way or availability to separate the drum tracks?

So each drum on it's own channel...

I love the drums in BB/RB but when recording and mixing it would be nice to be able to have some separation so one could change the levels, eq and effects for each drum piece.

I currently have a bit of a workaround by adding the same drum track to my mix and compress it to make the snare pop as I find that it sometimes gets lost in the mix.

I know there is an option to use MIDI drums and I do have the tools for that...

Any ideas?

#521643 - 01/31/19 11:29 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

That's something we have been asking PG to do for some time now. Yep... I'd really love to get control of the snare and the kick in particular.

Until they actually do this..... I have to use multiband compression and selective EQ to manage the mayhem.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#521646 - 01/31/19 11:45 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Loc: Carmel New York
Rob Helms Offline
Veteran

Or use midi drums, and drum VSTi3 these are really good and give a lot of options.
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2020, Realband, Studio one 4.6 Pro, Logic Pro X, Melodyne 4 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus Faderport 8, Komplete 49 key controller.

#521707 - 01/31/19 05:20 PM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
2bSolo Offline
Journeyman

Antho,

I like the idea of using EQ and I've done that. You can also find the drum you want in the track, then copy it to a separate track. There are also separate hits at the end of the RD files but I haven't figured out to use that yet; I can't seem to find them.

If you are willing to use midi drums, it's not hard to do. I don't know your work flow but you can start in BB or RB. I start in BB because the Notation Editor seems to work better (bigger screen and I can hear the notes as I am changing them).

Once I get the drum track close, I move the entire song to RB. I get the drums exactly the way I want them. Then I assign a drum VST to the track. I have two VST (Westwood and MT Power Drums) and each one has a mixer. I make sure I don't have EFX on the drums at this point. I solo the drum I want and then create a WAV file of the track. The WAV file has only the drum that was solo'd. I do that for each one.

This gives me a snare track, a kick track, a toms track, a cymbal track, an overhead track and a room track. That seems to
be plenty to work with.

Maybe you already knew all this but just in case you didn't.

2b

#521732 - 01/31/19 07:36 PM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Rob Helms Offline
Veteran

You can also pop the drum track into a DAW like studio one, use detect transients and then drop it into melodyne slice up the diffent drums and drag them to different places in the screen then let them fire midi notes and use a drum VSTi

Jpettit has a great video on this
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2020, Realband, Studio one 4.6 Pro, Logic Pro X, Melodyne 4 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus Faderport 8, Komplete 49 key controller.

#521776 - 02/01/19 05:24 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
I have the DR 008 drum sampler that came with sonar 2.5.You can just add those files at the end of the RD folders.The hard part is finding the sampler.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#521806 - 02/01/19 07:42 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

once you start to think out of the box, you get lots of ideas. Then it's a matter of testing them to seef they work and how easy it is to do this in a working project. Some things work but take so much time and effort it's not really worth doing.

Ideally..... find a really sweet part/track done by Realband or Realdrums, extract the parts into individual instruments... hats, tom1, tom2, kick, snare, etc.... convert to midi and use a really nice sample set with individual tracks.

Come on... that's not asking for too much now is it?

I really don't want to spend a lot of time isolating everything and doing all the work..... I just want it to work with as few clicks as possible.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#521836 - 02/01/19 01:26 PM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Rob Helms]
2bSolo Offline
Journeyman

That's sounds like a cool feature. Thanks, Rob.

2b

#521840 - 02/01/19 01:47 PM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Expert

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
In BIAB 2019 many of the RealDrums tracks can be exported as midi then pulled into a DAW to be used with Midi drum samples. Simply export as midi. Mario will remember which. Off memory those that are underlined at the top of the BIAB screen.

See https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2019upgrade/chapter3.htm#drum-notation-support

Tony

Edit = added “in BIAB 2019”. Added link

Edited by Teunis (02/01/19 01:53 PM)

#521852 - 02/01/19 03:18 PM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

21 RealDrums now have drum notation which can be viewed by filtering "RealDrums with transcriptions" in the RealDrums picker. They are:

[*]Drums,AmericanaRoots16th^ [*]Drums,BluesRockEv^ [*]Drums,BluesRockShuffle^ [*]Drums,FunkHalfNotePulse [*]Drums,FunkHalfNotePulseTambo [*]Drums,FunkRock^ [*]Drums,JazzTerryClarke^ [*]Drums,NashBrushBalDbKEv16^ [*]Drums,NashClassicWaltzSw^ [*]Drums,NashCrossovrSw16^ [*]Drums,NashPopBallad^ [*]Drums,NashTrainEv16^ [*]Drums,Nashville128^ [*]Drums,Nashville2Beat^ [*]Drums,Nashville68^ [*]Drums,NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16 [*]Drums,NashvilleBrushesClassicShuffle [*]Drums,NashvilleEven16^ [*]Drums,NashvilleEven8^ [*]Drums,NashvilleOutlaw^ [*]Drums,NashvilleShuffle^

+++ Look at the middle of the webpage +++
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#521909 - 02/02/19 12:50 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

#521946 - 02/02/19 04:45 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Rob Helms Offline
Veteran

Good example last night I did a basic scratch track of a song using RTs. In the BiaB VSTi inside Studio one. The drums sounded pretty good. Over all the track bed was nice. After adding a very nice piano track I though, I wonder how it would sound with multiparty drums so I slid the midi track in from notation yellow icon drug over MTPower drums and activated all 8 output which created 8 tracks of drums kick, snare, hats, lo Tom, mid tom, hi tom, ride/bell, crash.

The end result was really good each drum now stands out especially the hats and rides. Now I can mix them with FX. I was very pleased with the results.

#521973 - 02/02/19 07:26 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Teunis]
2bSolo Offline
Journeyman

Is BB 2019 the first year to have this? I have 2016 so I assume it doesn't work there. Am I wrong?

2b

#521980 - 02/02/19 07:53 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

If you are asking about the ability to use VSTi's like some of the drum ones mentioned (using the new time code feature), it was added to RB the middle of last year if I recall correctly.
And with minimal fanfare for what it is.

#521983 - 02/02/19 07:58 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: 2bSolo]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Is BB 2019 the first year to have this? I have 2016 so I assume it doesn't work there. Am I wrong?

2b

Depends on what you mean by "this". smile

2019 is the first year PG Music has released drum tracks that includes transcription data. PG Music includes transcription data so drum notation can be displayed.

Users can also export the transcription data as a midi file. RealDrums typically have single hits of each drum instrument at the end of the RealDrums audio file. The hits can be used as audio samples in a drum sampler like +++ MT Power Drum Kit +++ to enhance the original performance by creating additional audio, remixing and adding effects.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#522229 - 02/03/19 06:19 AM [RealBand] Re: Separated drum tracks? [Re: Antho1965]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Yeah, the 'this' part kind of left me guessing also.

PG Music News
Rock Dojo... Top 5 Reasons Why Band-in-a-Box® Rocks!

Check out this nice review from Rock Dojo, Top Five Reasons Why Band-in-a-Box® Rocks!.

Brian, the founder of Rock Dojo, is a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac user, and couldn't be happier with the program.

It doesn't matter whether you're a guitar teacher or a student guitarist, Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) is must-have software to take your teaching practice or your playing to the next level!
-Brian Parham

Thanks for the great feedback Brian!

Band-in-a-Box® Delivery Explained...

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® for Windows or Mac directly from PG Music Inc., you can choose to download your order, ship your order, or BOTH!

Having your Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK shipped? Choose between DVD installation or flash drive installation during the checkout process. Purchasing the UltraPAK or UltraPAK+? These ship pre-installed on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

Don't forget, just because you're order is shipping doesn't mean you can't download it while you wait - you can locate your online order records in your pgmusic.com account, within the "My Products" section.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Forum Stats
32875 Members
68 Forums
66200 Topics
562344 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Stanciu, Patto, rafael pineda, MSiegel2020, northpointidaho

32875 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 170
VideoTrack 139