Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#522855 02/06/19 05:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I haven't been very visible on the forum lately for a variety of reasons... but I'm on today to say that a friend from the PGMusic forum stopped by to visit yesterday as he passed through NC.

You all know him as EDDIE1261, the musician from Ohio who sometimes collaborates with ROG.

We reached out to JIM FOGLE to join us, but he already had plans for the day. He got to talk with Eddie on the phone for a while as we drove around town seeing the sights, so he was still involved in the visit.

I'm fairly introverted, and it generally takes me a while to warm up to people, but with Eddie it was like we were old friends picking up where we left off years before. Conversation flowed easily, and his dog (Scruff) got along magnificently with my daughters dog (Pippy)... so there was no down side at all.

We pretty much spent the whole day talking about BIAB, the forum, song writing, playing in bands, and old girlfriends. (mostly Eddie's)

Anyway, a note to Eddie: You and Scruff are welcome here any time! I appreciate your willingness to stop and visit!

A note to everybody else: If you ever have an opportunity to visit other forum members... go for it! You already know one another from years of daily conversation on the forum. Meeting them in person is the natural progression of friendship.

Y'all have a standing invitation at my house if any of you pass through NC on the way to somewhere else. Just let me know when you're coming, and I'll have the lights on.

I had intended to take a selfie with me and Eddie, but never got around to it. Eddie took a few of himself and Scruff from one of the lookouts on Pilot Mountain... maybe he'll post it later in this thread.

His visit did a pretty good job of reminding me about the user showcase, so hopefully I'll spend more time there in the future listening and commenting on the songs

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Sounds like a fun day for you guys. I know I've always enjoyed my visits with you Pat. I'm sure Jim is sorry he missed spending face time with you both. Thanks for sharing.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for sharing Pat! I still remember when you, Donny and I did a Skype session a few years back. Was very enjoyable.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And to return the favor, Pat is a very insightful, intelligent guy whose sens of hospitality was amazing. A friend had arranged a free stay at the Extended Stays hotel chain, a perk of his being a long time employee of that chain. Well, I am mobility impaired (very bad right knee) so I asked for a 1st floor room. They said they could accommodate me. But the pet rooms, for some MORONIC reason, are on the 3rd floor. (WHY put pets on the 3rd floor knowing they have to go outside for bathroom breaks?) Now, my dog is blind and old, and those 2 flights of stairs are not even within the realm of possibility for her. I have to carry her up and down any more stairs than the 4 she knows from memory here at her home. So I thought, okay, I'll see how this looks. I would have needed to make 4 steps up and down those stairs to get moved into the room. Pat graciously offered, and I gladly accepted, to bring up what I needed to stay overnight. After giving the dog some food, she always goes outside immediately, meaning I had to carry her back to the 1st floor so she could pee, then back up again. When she finished, he again offered to let me stay at his house, and I accepted his offer. I went into the office to check out and he cleared the room for me. This is really a good guy right here. He didn't have to do any of that, and he did it without thinking twice.

Then we got to his house, and his Pippie took about an hour to warm up to my Scruff. About an hour into the visit, I looked behind where I was sitting and Pippie was sleeping in her bed, and Scruff was on the floor with their faces less than a foot apart. 2 mellow dogs. I couldn't tell if Pippie sensed that Scruff is blind or not, but he seemed to be kind of helping her find the potty spots outside and such.

This was in addition to a quick overview of the city should I choose to move down that way. And I might. Because....

You know how you really love Brussels sprouts because you have never had anything but Brussels sprouts, but then you try broccoli and when you go back to Brussels sprouts you realize they kind of suck? After spending time in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, then coming back to Ohio, I realized that Ohio really the Brussels sprouts of states. The weather here is awful 7 months a year, the roads, by comparison, are bad when compared to those southern states because they don't get the weather beating the roads up north get. With nobody here, why wouldn't I move? Even if I went to a place where I know absolutely nobody, the 4 friends I do have here I don't see that much and we communicate mainly via text and email. They can text and email if I am elsewhere, right?

So I am going to start doing more intense research about some southern areas. Even the places that are hot in the summer, well, I live inside NOW, so.....

Last edited by eddie1261; 02/06/19 10:25 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm very disappointed I was not able to meet with Eddie and Pat. It was nice of Pat to reach out by both private message and telephone to remotely include me.

Both Eddie and Pat are fascinating people. Even with Pat holding the cellphone to Eddie's ear I could tell they were having a good time together.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ain't it good to find out that the folks on this forum are cool folks in person and not axe murderers?

BTW.... I was less than 2 hrs down the road. You're welcome here any time as well and I have moved from the small town. I'm out here on 28 acres of wooded land. Much better for hiding the bodies..... for my dog to find of course.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Ain't it good to find out that the folks on this forum are cool folks in person and not axe murderers?

BTW.... I was less than 2 hrs down the road. You're welcome here any time as well and I have moved from the small town. I'm out here on 28 acres of wooded land. Much better for hiding the bodies..... for my dog to find of course.

FWIW, Herb... I did think of inviting you, but I wasn't sure how long Eddie would be in town, and that's a pretty long drive (seemed longer than 2 hours when I drove it). Plus, I don't think you are retired yet, so I figured your ability to get away on short notice would be minimal. But... we did think of you. David Snyder too.

One of these summer weekends you should host a jam session and let whatever forum members who can make it pitch tents and camp for the weekend <-bad sentence structure, but hopefully not so bad the point is lost

We could call it HERBFEST

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's the selfie with Scruff from when me n' Barney headed up to Mt Pilot.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Guys,

Glad the trip went well. If it had been just that bit closer I'd have joined you.

One of these days.....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was fortunate to have Pat and Mario visit my cabin when I was giving a concert. It really is a joy to meet others from the forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So, when is Herbfest? May? And what kind of participation would it take t go from Herbfest to Herbstock? LOL!!!

Last edited by eddie1261; 02/07/19 04:24 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

FWIW, Herb... I did think of inviting you, but I wasn't sure how long Eddie would be in town, and that's a pretty long drive (seemed longer than 2 hours when I drove it). Plus, I don't think you are retired yet, so I figured your ability to get away on short notice would be minimal. But... we did think of you. David Snyder too.

One of these summer weekends you should host a jam session and let whatever forum members who can make it pitch tents and camp for the weekend <-bad sentence structure, but hopefully not so bad the point is lost

We could call it HERBFEST

Herbfest.... hummmmmm ....... bring your own herb? I like that.

Interesting idea for the open invite to forum members to come and hang out and jam.

I do still run the business but it's slowed down a bit... kinda let things go and that's fine.... I call it being semi-retired. I can often move my schedule around to accommodate the things I want to do. As long as I have the money to pay the bills and do what I need and want.... life is good. Today for example..... play with the features of the new 2019 BB and then pull about 500 feet of wire to the gate for grid power and video intercom so I don't have to run out and open the gate for visitors. I also want to get into the path in the woods and work on grinding more of the smaller brush and clean that up.... so much to do and so little time.... especially when you are a professional at procrastination like me.

edit: glad you did think of me and Dave. No problem.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/07/19 05:20 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

After spending time in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, then coming back to Ohio, I realized that Ohio really the Brussels sprouts of states.

I spent about 4 years in Ohio. I think after you spend a little more time traveling that you will come to realize that Ohio is actually the Haggis of the States. ;-)

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
I spent about 4 years in Ohio. I think after you spend a little more time traveling that you will come to realize that Ohio is actually the Haggis of the States. ;-)

And "Haggis of the States" is paying it too big of a compliment.

As I have lived here my whole life, I rarely went anywhere else. Until I went to the south, just for those few days, I didn't realize how angry and racist it is where I live. Blacks hate whites, white hate blacks, and everybody hates Mexicans. There are fights here every day for no other reason than somebody starts some mess with somebody else for no apparent reason.

In North Carolina, I met a decent sized handful of people. Likely 80% of them happened to be black. One guy, my age, saw my plates and said something like "How you doing? Getting out of that awful weather for a while?" And I ended up talking to him for about 10 minutes. And everywhere i went people were friendly. South Carolina as well. Florida i wasn't in long enough and I was visiting family so I didn't do much but hang with them.

What FINALLY dawned on me was that the black people I met were SOUTHERN first, then they happened to be black. Everybody overall was a lot nicer than the people up here. (Possibly why I myself have the "edge" I do. I am ALWAYS ready to throw the gloves down. And at almost 68, it is not the time to be throwing the gloves down!)

My biggest concern about moving from here is the unknown as far as neighborhoods and safety. I live in a ghetto now. I don't want to sell my house, buy another, move down there and find I moved to a ghetto there. This little week long journey made me aware of some things. As I entered South Carolina I had this sense of "This could be home" immediately come over me. Of course I was on 77 South and not in the neighborhoods, but I just had a sense. Some place like Rock Hill-ish would be great. Stay inside when it's crazy hot, and no 2 feet of snow that lasts a week. The snow I left here last Friday just finished melting away today.

So, perspective.

Last edited by eddie1261; 02/08/19 03:30 AM.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
My favorite Ohio story came from a guy who moved back here from Tennessee to take care of his dying mother.

Folks were asking him how far he was from Ashtabula and wasn't Ashtabula within the arctic circle? For non-Ohio folks, Ashtabula is right on Lake Erie. They have their own weather patterns there.

I worked there for about 6 years. Ladies dress code was business casual and hunting boots.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

In North Carolina, I met a decent sized handful of people. Likely 80% of them happened to be black. One guy, my age, saw my plates and said something like "How you doing? Getting out of that awful weather for a while?" And I ended up talking to him for about 10 minutes. And everywhere i went people were friendly. South Carolina as well. Florida i wasn't in long enough and I was visiting family so I didn't do much but hang with them.

What FINALLY dawned on me was that the black people I met were SOUTHERN first, then they happened to be black. Everybody overall was a lot nicer than the people up here. (Possibly why I myself have the "edge" I do. I am ALWAYS ready to throw the gloves down. And at almost 68, it is not the time to be throwing the gloves down!)

My biggest concern about moving from here is the unknown as far as neighborhoods and safety. I live in a ghetto now. I don't want to sell my house, buy another, move down there and find I moved to a ghetto there. This little week long journey made me aware of some things. As I entered South Carolina I had this sense of "This old be home" immediately come over me. Of course I was on 77 South and not in the neighborhoods, but I just had a sense. Some place like Rock Hill-ish would be great. Stay inside when it's crazy hot, and no 2 feet of snow that lasts a week. The snow I left here last Friday just finished melting away today.

So, perspective.

Yep... I like the south. I'm thinking that Florida is kinda like the north in the populated areas due to all the resettled snow birds. The rural areas have snakes and alligators...and it's a humid hot all the time.

NC is a pretty cool place. There are areas you would not want to live.... such as in the cities. Pick a place where you can see the coming and going "welcome to our town" signs at opposite ends of the town. Small towns here rock. You're not a stranger for long and people know your name. we got hoodlums and wanna be gangstas.... just like anywhere, but they mostly hang out in the hoods of their towns and leave decent folk alone, because they know we have guns and will use them.

I'm thinking that if you're admitting you live in the hood now, and if you move here and DON'T move into a city.... it's gotta be better than where you are.... plus... you get lower taxes, warmer winters for the most part, friendlier folks, less winter snow, and you're only 2 hrs to the beach or the mountains in the central part of the state. ( And we have concealed carry )How can you beat that?

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah Herb. Twice a week a pizza driver gets shot for his pizza and the 20 bucks in his pocket. The thugs call in and order pizza to be delivered to a vacant house and when the driver comes up they rob and beat or shoot him. 3-4 businesses a week get robbed, cars are stolen every day. My general area is considered the hood, but my street is in the pocket inside of that has not had a crime in the 14 years I have lived here. The bulk of the crime is downtown as well as in a couple of very specific areas a few miles from me. And if you are at all streetwise you know what to look for.

Plus there's that whole concealed carry thing.....

I would mainly like to put this several months of awful weather behind me. I know there is snow from time to time in NC but it isn't 22 inches and it isn't accompanied by -2 degrees like what I left behind me when I came down south and it doesn't stay on the ground for weeks because it never gets warm enough to melt. Sure in the mountains.... I am not going to go all Grizzly Adams and line in the mountains. I wouldn't even mind proximity to a city, but for the most part I am home all the time and rarely go out anyway. Give me high speed internet and proximity to a Walmart and I am good. I just don't want to have to live with my head on a swivel because someone who hates me just because I happened to be born white will shoot at me. The north is THAT racist, and I didn't see it until I got away for a week.

So I am spending a good amount of time on real estate sites looking things over. I may have to make some concessions because of finances and budget, buy if I have to paint rooms and pull out carpets myself, so be it. There is a place listed in the Winston-Salem area right now that would do me very well, with a big fenced yard for dogs and enough solitude that I could easily live there. We'll see how this all plays out. I'd love to be down there somewhere by next winter.

Either way I'll come down for Herbstock!

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Sounds like you guys had quite the lovely trip! I have some friends coming to visit me from the states during the summer so I'm excited to have some adventures myself!

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Sounds like you guys had quite the lovely trip! I have some friends coming to visit me from the states during the summer so I'm excited to have some adventures myself!

please keep us posted on the adventures, Ember! We might not know your friends, but its always fun to hear about what other people are doing on their vacations

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM

I worked there for about 6 years. Ladies dress code was business casual and hunting boots.

...Deb

ha! Now that's funny!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200