Print Thread
Go To
#522434 02/04/19 06:29 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
After extensive testing, I discovered it's NOT my trusty behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD audio interface that's been the cause of my audio problems, so IT MUST be a software setting. I've had the interface disconnect for the last couple of weeks and there's been no problem till this afternoon. I'm using the realtek HD audio drivers at the moment and THIS happened a few minutes ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4xyzqujv97amsn/Untitled%20Song.MGU?dl=0

I'd be delighted if anyone could crack this issue once & for all, I was about to start looking for another PC, even though this one's only a couple of years old

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Graham, I played this file on both 32 and 64 bit BiaB versions and there were no problems. Maybe you could post an audio version?

Also what is your video card? I have read where some Nvidia drivers were causing audio problems. Also are your audio or video cards sharing an IRQ with some other software? IRQ interrupts can cause problems.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Mario, it's the Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 [Display adapter]

Last edited by furry; 02/04/19 07:08 AM.
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wonder would a video card solve the problems ?

Have just done a major update on the graphics drivers I'll find out soon if that'll help

Last edited by furry; 02/04/19 07:32 AM.
Off-Topic
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Furry,

No, a video card won't help. That's only needed for video editing and gaming.

I'd check your Power Settings in the Windows Control Panel, that caused stuttering for me in Ableton Live when I first built my current computer.

Click the Start button in Windows 10, select Control Panel, and click Power Options.

Change Advanced Power Settings

Click Change Plan Settings next to the power plan you're using for your PC and then click Change Advanced Power Settings. Expand the Processor Power Management listing and then expand Minimum Processor State. Change this setting to 100%.

Please let us know if this doesn't do the trick, or if it was already at 100%.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
This is a common issue in Win 10 unfortunately without a common cause (except Win 10 do a Google search for audio stuttering on Win 10 you’ll get pages of guff and hundreds of “sure fire fixes”. I have been lucky to largely avoid the stuttering by following the stuff I have added before.

My laptop (which is a little underpowered) I use when performing. It started cutting out even simply playing song very little happening. I looked at the disc drive led it was hard on. Looked at the tasks nothing other than system stuff running but disc at or near 100%. I went through and turned off wifi, Norton, Windows Defender and more importantly Windows indexing (none of which I need during a performance). I got shy of ALL UNECESSARY Windows additions. (I have done similar on my main PC except for turning of the antivirus.). Note there are many programs running in the background sucking up CPU cycles, generating network I/O and causing the disc drive to run. The thing that really creates a crunch is Windows update. Always comes when you least want it.

Do not assume because you don’t use stuff that it is not running. Some clown at Microsoft understands your needs and potential interests far better than you do. You get what they want not what you need.

It takes time to sort it. There is a few things on the Web on stuff to turn off or delete from your PC. There have been a number of similar things on the forums.

See setting up your computer for music production https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X9U3PcpmYBE Or articles such as https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to-optimize-your-windows-10-pc-for-music-productionmidi

All the best
Tony

Edit added links

Last edited by Teunis; 02/04/19 01:18 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HI
Yes indeed Kents advice is good worked for me in the past.
I am sure mine was set to that, but I think one of windows updates set it down to 10%
So I went from a working to none working situation over night, so always worth a check if trouble after an update.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Furry,

No, a video card won't help. That's only needed for video editing and gaming.

I'd check your Power Settings in the Windows Control Panel, that caused stuttering for me in Ableton Live when I first built my current computer.

Click the Start button in Windows 10, select Control Panel, and click Power Options.

Change Advanced Power Settings

Click Change Plan Settings next to the power plan you're using for your PC and then click Change Advanced Power Settings. Expand the Processor Power Management listing and then expand Minimum Processor State. Change this setting to 100%.

Please let us know if this doesn't do the trick, or if it was already at 100%.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Kent it was a 5 % No wonder it was poor, many thanks for the input

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
This is a common issue in Win 10 unfortunately without a common cause (except Win 10 do a Google search for audio stuttering on Win 10 you’ll get pages of guff and hundreds of “sure fire fixes”. I have been lucky to largely avoid the stuttering by following the stuff I have added before.

My laptop (which is a little underpowered) I use when performing. It started cutting out even simply playing song very little happening. I looked at the disc drive led it was hard on. Looked at the tasks nothing other than system stuff running but disc at or near 100%. I went through and turned off wifi, Norton, Windows Defender and more importantly Windows indexing (none of which I need during a performance). I got shy of ALL UNECESSARY Windows additions. (I have done similar on my main PC except for turning of the antivirus.). Note there are many programs running in the background sucking up CPU cycles, generating network I/O and causing the disc drive to run. The thing that really creates a crunch is Windows update. Always comes when you least want it.

Do not assume because you don’t use stuff that it is not running. Some clown at Microsoft understands your needs and potential interests far better than you do. You get what they want not what you need.

It takes time to sort it. There is a few things on the Web on stuff to turn off or delete from your PC. There have been a number of similar things on the forums.

See setting up your computer for music production https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X9U3PcpmYBE Or articles such as https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to-optimize-your-windows-10-pc-for-music-productionmidi

All the best
Tony

Edit added links

Thanks Tony, hopefully Kents' suggestion should help

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI
Yes indeed Kents advice is good worked for me in the past.
I am sure mine was set to that, but I think one of windows updates set it down to 10%
So I went from a working to none working situation over night, so always worth a check if trouble after an update.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I reckon Kents' suggestion is spot on as this was happening in my old pc as well

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Folks, if your looking to read that bandzoogle article, try this link instead:

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to-optimize-your-windows-10-pc-for-music-production

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
cheers Jeff

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
After extensive testing, I discovered it's NOT my trusty behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD audio interface that's been the cause of my audio problems, so IT MUST be a software setting. I've had the interface disconnect for the last couple of weeks and there's been no problem till this afternoon. I'm using the realtek HD audio drivers at the moment and THIS happened a few minutes ago.

So, when someone mentions stuttering and latency..... the first question in my mind is what driver are you using?

The only driver that I use is ASIO and a quick search of the interface didn't show that it uses ASIO. It might but I didn't find it.
Realtek HD is a very basic driver that's designed to play your mp3 files and YouTube video music. It's certainly not the best choice for music like we do.

Of course, your settings matter but the driver matters more.

So... can your interface use ASIO? If it can, load it and then adjust the settings as needed.

I'll almost bet that if you do a rendering for export of the finished file, the rendered file will be perfect since there's no need to get everything to the speakers in a timely manner. Latency and stuttering are a symptom that the program, generally due to the driver and settings, is not able to keep up in real time, so it starts to drop and hesitate and delay the audio from the tracks. You hear the result. Try ASIO if the interface supports it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Audio drivers are available for Realtek chips but you've got to do some digging.

Normally you'll acquire the audio driver through the computer motherboard manufacturer. The Realtek website offers drivers but recommends you use the driver supplied by the motherboard manufacturer as that driver will be optimized for the motherboard audio system, not just one chip within the audio system.

Another consideration is Realtek manufactures multiple chipset series that handle just audio or audio and other multimedia.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to RealTek's current list of audio drivers.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the info guys, I've taken Kents advice for now and checked to see what the processor power was. Windows had decided 5% was enough for me so I maxed it up to the 100 %. No problems using my behringer interface and asio drivers and I had biab running for about 3 hours. So Kent, and everyone else thanks for the fantastic inputs

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Graham, you might also take a look at my post today on processor power settings in the Help/Tech SOS forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Graham,

I'm glad that did the trick!

This is a surprisingly common issue, I can't imagine why 5% is the default on so many machines. When I replaced my old 2010 MacBook Pro (Intel Core Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM) with a desktop featuring a 6-core i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM, I didn't see any improvement in audio performance, thought my MOTU interface was defective until I found this setting.

Cheers!
Kent
PG Music

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Graham, you might also take a look at my post today on processor power settings in the Help/Tech SOS forum.

Thanks Matt will do

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Graham,

I'm glad that did the trick!

This is a surprisingly common issue, I can't imagine why 5% is the default on so many machines. When I replaced my old 2010 MacBook Pro (Intel Core Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM) with a desktop featuring a 6-core i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM, I didn't see any improvement in audio performance, thought my MOTU interface was defective until I found this setting.

Cheers!
Kent
PG Music

Thanks Kent, I think it's a disgrace they're allowed to interfere with settings on a personal pc

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
Thanks for the info guys, I've taken Kents advice for now and checked to see what the processor power was. Windows had decided 5% was enough for me so I maxed it up to the 100 %. No problems using my behringer interface and asio drivers and I had biab running for about 3 hours. So Kent, and everyone else thanks for the fantastic inputs

Turn it up.... that was easy

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200