You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#461295 - 03/09/18 07:01 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] performing solo with Biab
Loc: Gold Country CA
SteelScott Offline

Loc: Gold Country CA
I'm working up some Biab Backing tracks and would like some tips on playback for performance. I travel with my job and cannot work up a band

#461393 - 03/09/18 06:34 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: SteelScott]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

To get the best answers you need to provide more information about your performances. Do you perform from a fixed set list or do you respond to customer requests? Do you sing, dance, perform drama, play an instrument? Do you use a PA set, mixer, both?
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#462731 - 03/18/18 02:36 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: UK
Bob Calver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
I did this for years and some fairly general points.

As you are using BIAB you are probably generating songs in advance so you need some way of choosing and playing back on demand.

I have only just upgraded to BIAB 2018 from 2008 so all our stuff used to be midi only. It was easier to create in BIAB and edit in PowerTracks. We used a yamaha file player and a roland sc7 sound module fed straight into the PA. Both probably available on ebay or you could use a laptop with a soft synth like the edirol hypercanvas installed and play from PT or BIAB with the sound from the headphone socket going to the PA. BIAB - unless you freeze tracks generates the song every time you play it so if you want the same arrangement every time we found midi files created in BIAB then transferred to PT was the best way to go.

That was in the days of midi but these days BIAB sounds great with RealTracks that mean your sound is audio not midi. Save the BIAB track to an mp3 format and you can play it live. If you have a laptop save all the files to a single directory and then play with the default music player - again with a lead from the headphone socket to the PA. It's easy to select songs (the files will be in alphabetical order) and you have a modicum of volume control on the laptop (assuming it's close to the mic stand) without turning round to the PA. Obviously the same applies if you are using a mixer.

A much smaller 'rig' is an Ipod touch connected the same way. Trouble is when you play one mp3 the next file starts automatically which is a pain playing live. I asked the forum and the best way to solve that problem is 'one set list per song' which is a faff to set up but works fine on stage. Even the oldest Ipod touch will do and it's better to have a dedicated Ipod than the one you use every day. Ebay has used ones cheap.

I played in a duo so we could harmonise but solo, technology can help you. If you are a guitarist you plug your guitar and mic cables into a Harmony Singer 2 pedal which then has outputs for the mic and guitar signals. The pedal listens to the guitar chords and adds a suitable harmony to your voice.

Of course if you are using mp3s then you can record the harmony part in BIAB, RB or PT and sing along live with your own voice behind you. And don't forget BIAB now has oohs and aahs you can use as backing.

Hope that helps

#463827 - 03/23/18 08:32 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: SteelScott]
Loc: Florida
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
I do a lot of solo shows. I don't use BIAB for cover songs but I do use it for my originals. I've found the easiest way to play tracks for me is to export my tracks as a .wav or .mp3 file and play them in iTunes. I have a playlist of all my backing tracks and I can drag and drop them into whatever order I want to do. It's also easy to navigate using the space bar to play and pause, and the right arrow key to advance to the next song.

www.sammycountry.com

#463846 - 03/24/18 02:32 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: SteelScott]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Hi Samuel. What do you use for covers? Music minus 1 or midi?
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#464245 - 03/26/18 02:37 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: lambada]
Loc: on the edge of the sandbar
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

Loc: on the edge of the sandbar
I've performed with biab backing tracks a few times
I play instrumental guitar (jazz, blues, rock, bluegrass, country)over biab arrangements.
Mostly covers, a few of my own.

I try to limit the biab backing tracks to bass,& drums.
Sometimes I add a chording instruments (keyboard, guitar, accordion) but usually cut the volume on those. I don't want too much backing if you know what I mean.

Most of the time I can get a decent arrangement with just biab.
Sometimes I use real band. Infrequently I use Apple Logic Pro X
I'll admit the endings sometimes are a bit abrupt. I could do better.

But at this point I'm just trying to get 50-100 tunes I can play melodies for and a chorus or two of solo.

I store all the wav's and mp3's on an Ipad for performance.
I use SoundCue on the ipad to map out the set and play the wav/mp3's. Its a good piece of software for performing.

Be sure to set the ipad/iphone in airplane mode before performing.

I pass the ipad/iphone speaker output through a whirlwind pcdi box and xlr cable to the board/pa.

Guitar goes to a Fender Vibrolux or Fender Mustang GT100.

I just purchased the bose s1 pro PA so I'm going to try to give that a whirl in the next gig or two just for the tracks.

Anyway, very interested in hearing how others handle it
macbook pro 15" Logic Pro X
Suhr Tele/PRS C24/Quilter MicroPro Hd
tanacom deep drop reel
costadelmar sunglasses
honda element (275Kmiles)
KotoBuki high carbon left handed sashimi knife

#522571 - 02/04/19 09:56 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: SteelScott]
Franko Offline

Showplay is a great program for playing live. Used it for years with my solo/duo set up. never had a problem.

#522881 - 02/06/19 09:48 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: SteelScott]
MarkusB Offline

If I'm using BIAB live, I generally export the audio from BIAB in a few mixes. I play keys, so I always mute the keys. I generate an audio file with drums+guitar, drums+bass, drums+guitar+bass so if I'm doing a duet with a bassist or guitarist or doing a solo gig, I have choices. I then use a program called Anytune (I have desktop and iPad versions) and create markers (intro, verse, chorus, ending etc.) within Anytune. This allows me to seamlessly jump to/loop any section in real time on the fly (very nice for when I or a guest soloist wants to solo for more than a chorus). I tried BIAB Conductor but couldn't get it to work well and reliably with RealTracks.

Because the audio exports from BIAB are the same but just mixed differently, the markers I create for one mix can be used for all mixes so I only have to do it once which saves time of course. With Anytune, I can see all the sections as the audio file plays through, I can also add lyrics to view and I can control it through MIDI using a pedal board like my Roland FC-300 or switches/buttons on my keyboard. I have found it a good companion to BIAB. I really would prefer to just use just BIAB iOS app for all of this so I don't have to do any of these extra steps, but currently the iOS apps are not as functional as Anytune although they are great for controlling BIAB remotely (Windows only though).

#522897 - 02/06/19 11:05 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: MarkusB]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

It's unfortunate Anytune is available exclusively on Apple products as your description of how you use the program is impressive.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#522912 - 02/06/19 11:33 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: Jim Fogle]
MarkusB Offline

Yeah, I agree. They "say" Anytune is coming to Windows and Android, but who knows when or if that will be. I actually own/use BIAB for Windows as well as Mac (started on Windows way back along with Sonar etc. but past 5 years have migrated a lot over to Mac) so whichever provides the functionality I need I'm fortunate to have that flexibility but I am probably in the minority. Many of my friends are on one platform or the other (mostly Windows/Android) so it's at least nice that I could recommend BIAB to all of them.

#523466 - 02/09/19 04:49 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: performing solo with Biab [Re: SteelScott]
Loc: South Carolina
RobH Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
I have maybe 100 song (covers) I can and have done with RB they are midi file that have been updated with RTs and Rds. I have maybe 20 songs in BiaB I have made more recently. I have used them as well.

However with cover songs I have started to work with an iPad app called Jamzone. You have to purchase the songs but they are not ridiculous in price I have collected around 110 so far new ones come out each week and they are pretty good kind of a multi track karaoke file you can change pitch, and turn off any track you want it also scrolls the lyrics and chords. I bought an iPad holder for my mike stand so I can reach it to start songs. The developer is active and response to suggestions. I ask for set folders and he added it pretty quickly.

For my sound I bluetooth the iPad to my Gemini tower (picture Bose tower for a better price) and plug my guitar and mic into the tower by cables. Pretty slick setup.

Edited by RobH (02/09/19 04:51 AM)
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29888 Members
61 Forums
59225 Topics
499917 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
maxnordio, Jetwoman, Bobby Watson, Broil, Pavlina

29888 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 132