Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#524031 02/12/19 05:04 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was thinking about this February songwriting thing, fawm.
I have no desire to do this but thought I’d try a quick write.
So I decided that the first intriguing phrase that I came across
reading a news piece I’d make my song title. There was something
on House Of Cards, the Netflix series. I’ve never seen one minute
of this show but I thought it sounds like one of my songs already.
So, house of cards, it needs an action verb, falling like a house of cards
because we know it’s a fragile setup. So the hook needs three chords
and will be the pay off line in a four line verse. I wrote down a few
rhymes with cards, the most interesting to me, guard, yard, and heart.
Two of the four lines in the three sections are mostly already written,
I just need to fill in the descriptions. The setting - the same old dirty town,
it’s the first thing that comes to mind, off and running.
I’m writing about a drama that I’ve never seen, it’s wide open.
The pop singer in my head comes up with the bridge
And if da DA da then da da da da da da
wtf da DA da then da da da da da da (make that last line longer)
I could write maybe two or three of these a day, is it good? I don’t think it’s as
good as letting an idea or song live in your head for a few days, giving you
time to be your own critic or come up with a better version.
Nothing against the FAWM writers, if it sharpens your tools, then good.
It was fun, writing a new one always is. Thanks for listening, comments
are welcome even if you disagree with everything I’ve said here. It’s OK
Nobody’s right or wrong about songwriting. (write backwards)

[Link no longer valid]

House Of Cards
© 2019 Kenny Leverett

Same old dirty town
Where everybody loves to drag you down
Holding to the same old guard
And falling like a house of cards

No one looks you in the eyes
Once you know their petty lies
You’re a chained dog in the yard
And they’re falling like a house of cards

And if you’re standing still
You’ll only get left behind
Where’s it written in stone
That we can never change
We can never change our minds

Listening to the same old song
Even when you know it’s wrong
Train comin’ thru your heart
And you’re falling like a house of cards

And if you’re standing still
You’ll only get left behind
Where’s it written in stone
That we can never change
We can never change our minds

There’s a train comin’ thru your heart
And you’re falling like a house of cards

Drums FunkHalfNoteSync
Bass 2260 Electric FunkyGroove60s
Guitar 362 Acoustic Strumming
Guitar 636 RootsRockDirty (Held)
Guitar 1689 PopPromiseGrittyA-B
Fiddle 624 Soloist George
(still featuring the winter head cold/chest cold vocals)

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 08/28/20 09:52 AM.
44kfl #524054 02/12/19 06:50 AM
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
You've created a good song on short notice...
I know it would be well received at FAWM
I enjoyed the rock feel you envisioned & created in this tune...
But I always enjoy your work...

To me the challenge of FAWM is not to write 14 songs in a month...
Many of the song writers on this forum would be able to churn out 14 songs in a week...
To me the challenge is to write 14 songs that fit the prompts someone else gives you...

Here is last week's prompt...
"WEEK 1: Clothing. Write a title/chorus that involves an article of clothing.
Examples: “These Boots Are Made For Walking” by Nancy Sinatra, “Long Black Veil” by Lefty Frizzell,
“Green Shirt” by Elvis Costello, “Raspberry Beret” by Princ

Here is this week' prompt...
Week 2: Chromatic Tune: Write a song around a chromatic melody or riff.
Examples: “Creep” or “Just” by Radiohead, “Make Me Feel” by Janelle Monaé,
“Sophisticated Lady” by Duke Ellington, “Born to Run” by Bruce Springsteen.

Others may not have any trouble coming up with 3 or more songs to meet the week 1 challenge...
But for me it was a challenge to come up with 5 of them & the 1st one really sucks out loud...
So far I've only come up with 1 song that meets the 2nd week's "chromatic" challenge...

Challenge yourself to write 3 or 4 songs for each week's challenge...
3 or 4 songs about "clothing"
3 or 4 songs with a "chromatic melody or riff"

At least for me, doing is indeed a challenge...

Jim
†=☮&♥
44kfl #524059 02/12/19 07:06 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Jim,
Thanks for the listen and kind words

I appreciate your insightful explanation of some things that I didn't really

know about fawm. My thoughts are, the title and subject of a song really

need to strike a chord with the writer or how can you expect them to resonate

with anyone else. Now I know that you could write a passionate song about clothing

(Dolly Parton, My Coat of Many Colors) and that writing something with a chromatic

progression might make you come up with a song that you'd otherwise have never written.

Follow your heart, see if you really have something to say, try not to be a hack.

Write when you are moved to write. Again, I'm not against any of this,

if we have 100 million songwriters knocking one out every day then someone's bound

to strike gold. Right?

44kfl #524062 02/12/19 07:16 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hey 44kfl, great work on this! The arrangement is a pleasure to listen to and the chord progression is very nice. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Very captivating lyrics, its always nice to see where the inspiration for lyrics comes from. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Joe
44kfl #524075 02/12/19 07:43 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Kenny,

I know a lot of people who need weeks to come up with a song and the results are nothing compared to your House Of Cards.

I like the idea of just picking up a more or less catchy, funny or weird phrase and build a song around it, because this fuels your fancy and can take you to places you'd otherwise would have never been - I wrote a lot of my songs that way.

But you bet it always took me much longer. And I wouldn't dare to claim they were half as good as this one... I like it from A - Z.

Stefan

44kfl #524105 02/12/19 11:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny,

I don't care how long it took you or how you got it down on paper...this is simply GOOD songwriting. Song craft. Some folks "got it" (some don't) - YOU "got it" in spades. (And it seems to gets better with each song!) And it is not just the words and how they are put together, but also the melodies and the perfect cadence of how those words fit and "fall on the ear"...

Love the BAND!. The vocal is killer. Mix is excellent.

"There’s a train comin’ thru your heart
And you’re falling like a house of cards"

...not your run-of-the-mill lyric.

Excellent.

fj

44kfl #524107 02/12/19 11:29 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is such a good song for a "quick write". Really impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
44kfl #524113 02/12/19 12:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny

Really liked that - excellent melody, vocal and instantly ear friendly.
Great work - enjoyed the story about the writing as well.
Basically floyd said it all very well before me.

Peter

44kfl #524250 02/13/19 04:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I agree with Floyd. Just good songwriting, period, you just have that special gift.

Of the 40+ songs I have done with Christiane I wrote the lyrics for only one, and it was a painful process. Somewhat like I imagine passing a kidney stone would be like eek

User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey 44kfl, great work on this! The arrangement is a pleasure to listen to and the chord progression is very nice. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Very captivating lyrics, its always nice to see where the inspiration for lyrics comes from. Keep it up!

Joe,

Thanks for the listen and kind words

much appreciated

User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Kenny,

I know a lot of people who need weeks to come up with a song and the results are nothing compared to your House Of Cards.

I like the idea of just picking up a more or less catchy, funny or weird phrase and build a song around it, because this fuels your fancy and can take you to places you'd otherwise would have never been - I wrote a lot of my songs that way.

But you bet it always took me much longer. And I wouldn't dare to claim they were half as good as this one... I like it from A - Z.

Stefan

Hey Stefan,

Thanks,

we all write in different ways, I seem to do well with title-first

I appreciate your kind words

keep rockin' !

44kfl #524268 02/13/19 05:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny,

I like this a lot. To me it has a Tom Petty feel, which is just great.

You completely nailed the vocal and mix on this one...

Excellent!

Bob

44kfl #524287 02/13/19 07:09 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Kenny, Really good song. The title/hook was intriguing. This is my 3rd FAWM and I do enjoy it. I feel pretty good about my songwriting process, so don't really need to do FAWM, but I find the people inspirational and I like to see the creativity, what they come up with and how, just as you have explained in your song. I find that very interesting. I find it true that writing from a prompt for me is not always successful. My best songs have come from a really good title that inspired me and something that connected with my life experience. However, professional writers write everyday and they have to write for various projects and be good at it and maybe it's not something they relate to. I remember one long time songwriter, his name escapes me, but he always said "Some people say songs should strike like lightning, so its good that lightning strikes for me every day at 9:00 am". I like that. For me it's like a gym work-out keeping the muscles toned and stimulating the grey cells, so that when you do get that great inspiration, you can do a song justice. I watched that video posted here the other day about the musician who wrote over 4,000 songs and had access to great bands and only about 15 or so of his songs got in the top ten on the charts. I think probably a lot of those over 1,000 written were probably really good songs, but there's so much out there these days. But the point is he wrote a lot of songs and I'm sure they weren't all from inspiration, for him it was a work week.

Another thing I've learned from FAWM is that it gets me outside of my comfort zone. It stimulates me to try something I've never thought of or a genre I've never considered. I learn something new that someone else is doing and it expands my horizons.

Love a lot of your lines and the imaginary they produce. Good vocals and the rock style really fits the emotion of the song. You nailed it!! Congrats.

Last edited by Belladonna; 02/13/19 07:14 AM.
44kfl #524451 02/14/19 03:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny, you have an infectious groove here. Like a lot of your other stuff it so easy to listen to. The melody is familiar but it is also new at the same time. The connect the dots lyrics are just open ended enough to keep the listener engaged. Another winner,Tom

44kfl #524458 02/14/19 05:26 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
As others said - this is really impressive for a quick write! Sometimes the ideas just flow and it happens quick, and this is proof that can end up in a solid tune. Love the groove on this one, and the prominent vocals almost demand your attention. Nicely catchy, but it also has a bit of ruggedness to balance it out.

Great work and thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
44kfl #524510 02/14/19 09:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Kenny !:))

One of your absolutely
best I´ve heard so far !:))
Wonderfully great music so
delicately performed and
produced ! I truly liked it !

Cheers
Dani

44kfl #524561 02/14/19 02:41 PM
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi Kenny,

I have to say that you are an EXCELLENT song writer. This song just rocks! And your vocal shines...

Really, really enjoyed listening to this! And I will listen to it again tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing,
Will

User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Kenny,

I don't care how long it took you or how you got it down on paper...this is simply GOOD songwriting. Song craft. Some folks "got it" (some don't) - YOU "got it" in spades. (And it seems to gets better with each song!) And it is not just the words and how they are put together, but also the melodies and the perfect cadence of how those words fit and "fall on the ear"...

Love the BAND!. The vocal is killer. Mix is excellent.

"There’s a train comin’ thru your heart
And you’re falling like a house of cards"

...not your run-of-the-mill lyric.

Excellent.

fj

aaahhh, I worked hard on that introduction

just kidding of course,

You always have the nicest compliments, it is much appreciated

Tho we write differently, you inspire to come up with the next one

and try to make it just a little better than the last.

even tho I know I may never reach your level of excellence

44kfl #524586 02/14/19 05:57 PM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Kenny,

For something you kinda put together without thinking . . . well, very cool—nice Petty feel to this one. The vocal really works with this one. Very impressive given your approach to writing this song. Well done!!

Best regards,

Deej

44kfl #524596 02/14/19 09:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes I think artists make terrible judges of their own work, because the see the craftsmanship and compromises that went into something, instead of being able to objectively observe the final result.

Love the Tom Petty groove, nice write, enjoyable listen.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199