Does anyone get these to work? I create them in the list,
but they never work.

It baffles me how anyone could compose without this feature
working perfectly.

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Could you provide any further information on what steps you take to create them in the list etc, and how you then attempt to implement? That might help to get a clearer picture of the problem.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Substyles to me are the differences in sound that are marked by blue or green indicators. Green is generally ‘busier’ sounding than blue. If that’s what you mean, then yes, they work fine.

If they don’t work for you, then try Return to Factory Settings.

If that doesn’t work, then we need to know what style or specific RealTracks you are using.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Substyles to me are the differences in sound that are marked by blue or green indicators. Green is generally ‘busier’ sounding than blue. If that’s what you mean, then yes, they work fine.

If they don’t work for you, then try Return to Factory Settings.

If that doesn’t work, then we need to know what style or specific RealTracks you are using.

THANKS for replies guys. but I'm not sure were on the same page.

1 RIGHT CLICK ON part marker

2 Pick ANY STYLE from biab,

3 Save as substyle. eg: e/f

4. Select substyle of choice at measure.

5 Biab doesn't acknowledge selection.

Doesn't work for me , 2018

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KGU 2

THANKS for replies guys. but I'm not sure were on the same page.

1 RIGHT CLICK ON part marker

2 Pick ANY STYLE from biab,

3 Save as substyle. eg: e/f

4. Select substyle of choice at measure.

5 Biab doesn't acknowledge selection.

Doesn't work for me , 2018

I couldn't follow those steps. Presumably for Step 2 you mean pick any letter for a SubSytle. You can't select a STYLE directly from those menu items, or did you mean select the Define c/d option for step 2?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-02-14_16-10-28.jpg (41.58 KB, 291 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Hi,

yes sorry, DEFINE C/D.

But after C/D is defined, then E/F option available, and all through the alphabet, apparently, become available.

But as I say, selecting what you define is the problem for me. It seems super buggy.

Like once it took my C/D but then wouldn't , etc, etc.

K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Did this ADVERTISED feature, EVER work? I'm guessing no.

But, if so, I will gladly use a different version/ year that proves me wrong.

I will even buy 2019, which to date had zero features
which interested me.

Last edited by KGU 2; 02/15/19 02:23 PM.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< Did this ADVERTISED feature, EVER work? I'm guessing no. >>>

It's always worked. But, they are called MultiStyles not SubStyles.

Some Biab Styles are multistyles and normally have 4 style changes or you can create your own custom multistyle. A multistyle can contain up to 24 multistyles.

You can find Biab created multistyles in the Stylepicker by filtering your search with the + sign. A search on my system yielded 898 multistyles.

To learn how to create your own custom style, in BIAB Help\Help Topics\Topic Search\multistyles

Hope this helps.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I think it would help if you listed some style examples. Tell us the main style of your song and the styles you're trying to use as substyles. There could be a couple things going on.

There aren't too many styles that were created with more than two dedicated substyles, but there are some... one example is _BOSALT+. This style has multiple substyles defined in the style. We made several similar styles and combined them into one.

What *you* are doing is defining the substyles in the song, starting with a style that only has two (A/B) substyles. so presumably you're trying to find similar sounding styles that could be used in different sections of your song.

Note that styles vary in how distinct their A and B substyles are. With RealStyles (all RealTracks) it's typically the Drums that are the main difference.

You can likely accomplish what you want without messing with substyles - You can make changes at any bar for example (F5) choosing different styles and instruments, muting instruments, etc.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<<< Did this ADVERTISED feature, EVER work? I'm guessing no. >>>

It's always worked. But, they are called MultiStyles not SubStyles.

Some Biab Styles are multistyles and normally have 4 style changes or you can create your own custom multistyle. A multistyle can contain up to 24 multistyles.

You can find Biab created multistyles in the Stylepicker by filtering your search with the + sign. A search on my system yielded 898 multistyles.

To learn how to create your own custom style, in BIAB Help\Help Topics\Topic Search\multistyles

Hope this helps.

THANKS your the first person who called them multi.
But creating multi styles seems super confusing. I made
some, saved them, But then style search can never find them.

K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
I think it would help if you listed some style examples. Tell us the main style of your song and the styles you're trying to use as substyles. There could be a couple things going on.

There aren't too many styles that were created with more than two dedicated substyles, but there are some... one example is _BOSALT+. This style has multiple substyles defined in the style. We made several similar styles and combined them into one.

What *you* are doing is defining the substyles in the song, starting with a style that only has two (A/B) substyles. so presumably you're trying to find similar sounding styles that could be used in different sections of your song.

Note that styles vary in how distinct their A and B substyles are. With RealStyles (all RealTracks) it's typically the Drums that are the main difference.

You can likely accomplish what you want without messing with substyles - You can make changes at any bar for example (F5) choosing different styles and instruments, muting instruments, etc.

Hi,

yes I now saw that pre made substyles is very limited,
unforunately.
So I then went to option of just finding any style I like, naming it, and saving as a style. But so far
I cant retrieve them in style searches.

==========

SECOND METHOD

Yes Ive used f5 before, the problem I have is
HOW DO I EDIT THIS NEW STYLE, ONLY TO PLAY AT THE
BARS I WANT?

I just added a style at say bar 100. IT seemed to
work, but the minute I tried to change the guitar to
a different real style, In the mixer, { didnt like the first one }

IT CHANGED THE GUITAR, AND SOUND FOR ALL THE PREVIOUS
STYLES, totally wrecking the whole song.

??

thanks

K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
To reiterate,

it appears to me,----- the f5 method ---- forces all your style choices to use basically the same 7 instruments/ instrument performances !

That is a horrible , absurd reduction from the lush original styles!

Last edited by KGU 2; 02/15/19 05:05 PM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:

So I then went to option of just finding any style I like, naming it, and saving as a style. But so far
I cant retrieve them in style searches.

If you made a new style, you can load it in using File | Load Style (F9). Or do a 'slow rebuild' of the StylePicker window. This adds third party / user styles (it takes longer to do that than it does to look for PG Music styles, which is why it is called a slow rebuild). After the slow rebuild, your user style should show up in the StylePicker. You should save the style in the bb\Styles folder. (The StylePicker is improved in 2019 with respect to User styles, in that you can edit the meta data (long style name, description, etc.) via the StyleMaker and that data will display in the StylePicker.)

Quote:
HOW DO I EDIT THIS NEW STYLE, ONLY TO PLAY AT THE
BARS I WANT?

In the Edit Settings for current bar dialog (access by clicking on a bar and pressing F5), under "Style Changes at this Bar", click either the .STY button (to open StylePicker), or the Open button (to load any style from disk). The style will start playing at that bar. Click on the bar that you want it to go back to the previous style on and change it back.

Quote:
I just added a style at say bar 100. IT seemed to
work, but the minute I tried to change the guitar to
a different real style, In the mixer, { didnt like the first one }

IT CHANGED THE GUITAR, AND SOUND FOR ALL THE PREVIOUS
STYLES, totally wrecking the whole song.

You can change the style as I described... this changes ALL instruments (RealTracks/Drums) at the same time, because a style is a collection of instruments. If you want to just change ONE instrument press either the RealTracks or RealDrums button in the F5 dialog. This allows you to change instruments on each individual track, while keeping the Style the same.

If you only want an instrument to play during certain bars, you can use the drop-down menus in the 'Instrument Changes at this bar' section to mute and then later in the song unmute an instrument. There is another way to mute instruments. In the Chord sheet window enter the chord symbol followed by a dot (this rests all instruments) followed by the first letter of the track(s) you want to exclude from the rest.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Andrew, this info would be a good item for the Tips and Trick section.

K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
thanks Andrew.

First I had a new problem. NO AUDIO on first four bars.
Huh?

So I factory reset everything, which totally messed up my drivers. Went to Microsoft GS wavetable drivers. seems
to work.

F5 is finally working now. IE: allowing new styles
without wrecking the previous, or post styles. Never
worked before.

HOWEVER, there is a new problem.

why are only YELLOW midi tracks showing in the
mixer and playing?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
why are only YELLOW midi tracks showing in the
mixer and playing?

Do you mean you only see yellow tracks in the mixer? This would be because the current style only has MIDI tracks and no RealTracks (green / audio).

Or do you mean that you see both yellow and green tracks but can only hear the yellow ones. This would mean that you are only hearing MIDI and not audio.
You should go back to the Driver Setup dialog, and select "Use DXi/VSTi synth". Choose the Coyote Wavetable DXi synth if it isn't selected already.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Ok, Im having the SAME problem I always have.

IF you change the STYLE on F5,

it CORRUPTS ALL THE OTHER STYLES IN THE SONG!!!!!!

And you cant / back delete out of it.

INFURIATING!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KGU 2
IF you change the STYLE on F5,

it CORRUPTS ALL THE OTHER STYLES IN THE SONG!!!!!!

And you cant / back delete out of it.

I have BIAB 2019, and this is working for me. The below link is to an AVI file showing BIAB playing a chord sheet where I've changed the styles at bars 9, 17 and 25 (this is shown as a red line under the bar numbers).

Test file - video of chordsheet including style changes (link)

Every thing runs smoothly.

To delete any of those style changes, I simply place the cursor on the bar where the style change occurred (i.e. bar 9, 17 or 25), open bar settings (F5) and then press "Clear Style" as shown by #1 on the top image below.

If I want to get a summary of where the style changes are, I press "Print Summary" (#2 on the top image below).

When I pressed "Print Summary", BIAB gave me the summary of style changes shown by the lower image.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
K
KGU 2 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
hey Noel96 - thanks so much for running this test.

Yes , yours certainly appears to work.

I will examine it all tomorrow, and report back.

Veteran
Veteran
Also notice the "Reset All Bars" and "Reset Bar" buttons adjacent to the red outline in Noel's screen shot.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195