Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ok, I have been using BB for just some few years, and I love it.. But lately I am more in to Karaoke production then ever before and I have som gigantic projects coming in..

I know most of u guys are using BB for backing track, witch should be basically the same... BUT, probably with out the LYRIC part..

A while ago I invested in SmartScore song edition, to make midi files or XML files from PDF scores.. This works badly with BB for 2 specific reasons;

1. SmartScore Song Edition can read both chords AND lyrics correctly from a good quality PDF score.. BUT BB overlook Chords in Midifiles, so correct chords in the Midifiles exported from SSSE does not matters.

2. Alternative 2 is XML files. BUT, XML files reads ONLY one channel, so hell of a job to splitt it to several channels..
This makes me almost regret I bought SmartScores at all...

So, I am looking for a DAW that would be perfect for what I want to produce.. NO NO NO, NOT RB please...I have tried it enough, I feel. And same frustration EVERY TIME...

I while ago I started trying Reaper. So far so good. But the limitation here is the lyric AND the chords, as far as I understand.. OR, Am i wrong here? Have not tried it that much yet...;)

I also purchased Reason a while ago, but because of the HUGE download, I have not get it downloaded yet, so I have no idea if that would serve me better?...;)

Any suggestions ?

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Expert
Expert
Leo, I’m not sure if it is a DAW you need. You might need something that actually creates (generates) karaoke. One of the old guys in our village has something that plays karaoke and allows him to make some edits but I’m not sure how far that goes. However, Cakewalk by BandLab is free and in that you can edit both video (a bit) and audio as I understand it. I know you can import a video track.

I had a chap come and see me this week he wanted to edit some karaoke files he had. In one case he needed to change pitch and rebuild the file. I simply had him use RiffStation to extract the audio from the file and change pitch then use MovieMaker to put it all back together. He had another needed slicing up to remove bits. This is hard without the right tools but I used the AVS4You video editor took a few minutes but was ok for what he wanted.

I had another chap came to me with the video of a song but wanted words on the screen. Once again I used the AVS4You Video Editor. Getting the timing right was the trick.

I’ve used the same with family movies and music. I went to the Netherlands to see where I was born. Had a BBQ with a bunch of cousins some of whom play music so a movie of folk and edited the music to make it more presentable. Extracted the music using AVS4You. Cleaned it up in Sonar and put it back.

As I’ve said before horses for courses.

Have fun
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 02/15/19 09:12 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Personally I would try Realband I have used it to that end with pretty good results.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No DAW is necessary. I've used Windows Movie Maker in the past. There are many tutorials on YouTube similar to == This ==

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
But lately I am more in to Karaoke production then ever before and I have som gigantic projects coming in..

So do you want to output to Video Karaoke ?

Quote:
I while ago I started trying Reaper. So far so good. But the limitation here is the lyric AND the chords, as far as I understand.. OR, Am i wrong here? Have not tried it that much yet...;)

You can get the lyrics and chords in Reaper but not something you can render to video.

You should be able to Render to Video in Karafun.

Can you screen capture the big lyrics window in BB with Active Presenter (free) https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=524412#Post524412

Last edited by Pipeline; 02/16/19 08:38 PM.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

So do you want to output to Video Karaoke ?

Yes, and I use already Karafun for that, thank's to all the great help from you...;)

You can get the lyrics and chords in Reaper but not something you can render to video.
Yeah, I'm working on that right now...;) But that works also pretty well in BB. Could it be possible to replace the color in the BB Big lyric window, with an Image? If those color background there is just an image in a folder somewhere, it could be possible to change it?

Can you screen capture the big lyrics window in BB with Active Presenter (free)
Yes, after reading that post the other day, I did download it, and so far so good for capturing my screen...

I also found a work around for my other problems mention in my post.. I convert the PDF sheets to BOTH XML and Midi.. Then I take in the XML files first, so that I have the chords right.. THEN I import the channels I need from the midifile.. (Mainly the melody track) So no need to try to separate the melody track out from the XML imported tracks....Learned that one from Noel...;) There IS a menu in importing XML to select only ONE channel, BUT, after selecting only the ONE I want, a message coming up, saying; "The "Load all tracks to Melody" setting is enabled. All tracks (including unselected ones) will be loaded to the Melody track" So WHERE do I disable THAT ??? How do I import ONLY ONE track to BB from a XML file ??? THAT would help me a lot to know...;)

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If it's importing all tracks to the melody you can just show the channels separately and delete the midi on that channel by selecting all notes and delete.
EDIT: I just tried it on your xml, uncheck Import All To Melody then select each channel and delete the notes, melody was on ch9 on that xml.

You can chroma key the background color out of the big lyric window, I think Reaper has a chroma key, once you key out the background you put an image or video in the track below and it will show thru leaving the chords and lyrics that are another color.
EDIT: there's also an option to have chords in the lyrics.

Last edited by Pipeline; 02/17/19 03:44 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is a still but you can use video:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-Karaoke.gif (402.22 KB, 135 downloads)
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
If it's importing all tracks to the melody you can just show the channels separately and delete the midi on that channel by selecting all notes and delete.
EDIT: I just tried it on your xml, uncheck Import All To Melody then select each channel and delete the notes, melody was on ch9 on that xml.
Oh, thank's a lot again Pipeline.. This I was not aware of.. Totally overlooked that option.. BUT, when that is said, there is something there that DOES NOT work the way it is supposed to? The right-click menu, comes up whit an option to select the different tracks, and chose between ALL BB tracks.. I tried that, and could not make that work.. It imported just a few bars of the songs then.. Tried it on 3 different XML imports... SO, PG MUSIC; Is that suppose to be working for the import of of XML tracks??? If yes, HOW? If NOT, why is it there as an option?????

You can chroma key the background color out of the big lyric window, I think Reaper has a chroma key, once you key out the background you put an image or video in the track below and it will show thru leaving the chords and lyrics that are another color.
EDIT: there's also an option to have chords in the lyrics.
Thank's for the suggestion Pipeline.. But I think to run the lyric in Karafun, with just green background, for chroma keys, gives a lot of more option to how the lyrics behave...;) Except, the including of chords.. BUT it can be done, by manually insert the chords in brackets as part of the notebased lyric.. More work, but looks better...;) I just wish PG Music, would be willing to develop the BIG lyric windows with more options, like image or video-background, centering of the lyrics, insert of Guitar/piano/Leadsheet windows, available video performance, as background, ect, for us that produce songs with lyrics.. That would LIFT UP BB to a new level, and making BB as a perfect tool for "learn to play videos", for instance...;)

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
The right-click menu, comes up with an option to select the different tracks, and chose between ALL BB tracks..

Not sure where you mean, piano roll ?, can you give me a step by step. I'm just using Tyven-tyven-skal-du-hete-Enak.xml

You can save the chord sheet to video but only with bar based lyrics, you could chroma key the notation video, not sure if you can change the lyrics and chord color so you would chroma key the black out and you would have a bouncing red notation dot above the lyrics. Not sure if there's a setting to scroll up ?

I will go and give it some thought and get back to you with any ideas.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can chroma key the chord sheet,
in the Render dialog set it to scroll ahead
now when you put the the rendered chord sheet video in Reaper or another free video editor app you can crop it so it only shows the first 2 rows of bars,
in Karafun set the lyric position down a bit to allow for the 2 rows of BB chords.
You can actually have another video Track in KaraFun layered behind the lyrics so you could use the cropped down to 2 rows chord sheet video and set it up the top or down the bottom of KaraFun's lyrics.
So you will have the chord sheet highlight timing and the lyrics highlight timing.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Not sure where you mean, piano roll ?, can you give me a step by step. I'm just using Tyven-tyven-skal-du-hete-Enak.xml
Ok, I open a XML file.. It has 5 tracks, all marked with blue by default, and says; Destination track 5, Melody.. I unchecked the "Load all tracks to melody.. Then I go to track 2, rightclick on it and select destination track Soloist, then follow by selecting Bass, drums and Guitar for the rest.. The result is a 2 bar song.. U can try it whit a score that has more then 2 tracks from here;
https://musescore.com/sheetmusic

You can save the chord sheet to video but only with bar based lyrics, you could chroma key the notation video, not sure if you can change the lyrics and chord color so you would chroma key the black out and you would have a bouncing red notation dot above the lyrics. Not sure if there's a setting to scroll up ?
Me neither...;)

I will go and give it some thought and get back to you with any ideas.
Thank's a lot Pipeline, for always be so helpful..

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Ok I was using the xml you uploaded it was only showing 1 track.
So I saved a BB midi style to xml and opened it unchecking all to melody
and set each to it's own track, it ONLY imported one track with partial midi so I will post that in the bug forum.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Karaoke-xml.png (26.65 KB, 99 downloads)
BB-musicxml-import.png (72.65 KB, 99 downloads)
BB-musicxml-import-separate-tracks.png (92.14 KB, 98 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is the other way:

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
This is the other way:

Wow ! ! ! That is just soooo much better and neat.. You DID it ! For the millionths of time; PG Music; See and take hold of this guy, and make us all happy ! ! ! ! This is what makes me love this forum and the responds we get here.. But, sorry to say; I can't , for the best in me, say the same about PG Music as such.. I mean, here I am, posting a PROBLEM, a BUG? And who is here to look into it??? Not PG Music, but other enthusiastic USERS ! ! !! That don't have a dime in benefit from it.. Doing it just out of a GENUIN INTEREST in the software it self ! and THAT is what makes me come back here.. OK, SOMETIMES you surprising me by showing up.. But is that sufficient? I mean, how many of the staff members are actually USING BB ??? And IF, are you never running in to problems that we, the other users are running into???? Ok, I think I have to stop now, before I am "Boiling over"...;) Thank's a lot AGAIN Pipeline, for making my day...;)

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
But, HOW did u do this in BB?? Because in Karafun, this is what we can do easily all the time....

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
But, HOW did u do this in BB?? Because in Karafun, this is what we can do easily all the time....

You can chroma key the chord sheet,
in the Render dialog set it to scroll ahead
now when you put the the rendered chord sheet video in Reaper or another free video editor app you can crop it so it only shows the first 2 rows of bars,
in Karafun set the lyric position down a bit to allow for the 2 rows of BB chords.
You can actually have another video Track in KaraFun layered behind the lyrics so you could use the cropped down to 2 rows chord sheet video and set it up the top or down the bottom of KaraFun's lyrics.
So you will have the chord sheet highlight timing and the lyrics highlight timing.

If you think you could use something like that I will work out the easiest way to do it, I think Reaper also has a crop video tool http://reaperblog.net/2016/01/video-processor-presets/
It's basically just the video render from KaraFun then the BB chord sheet video cropped to the top 2 bars and overlayed on the KaraFun video, in the BB Video Render dialog set it to scroll ahead that way the current bar is always at the top.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
If you think you could use something like that I will work out the easiest way to do it, I think Reaper also has a crop video tool http://reaperblog.net/2016/01/video-processor-presets/
It's basically just the video render from KaraFun then the BB chord sheet video cropped to the top 2 bars and overlayed on the KaraFun video, in the BB Video Render dialog set it to scroll ahead that way the current bar is always at the top.
Yes, I could use something like that.. I have Movavi video-editor, so I don't have to learn another one to crop and to chromakey..

What I need to make work for my upcoming project, is to have BOTH a piano window, a lead-sheet AND a guitar window up same time.. to video-capture that... I can do that in BB. BUT, the problem in BB is that the Piano and Guitar window is playing the same track.. I can't make the Piano Window play/display the melody track, SAME TIME as the Guitar window display the HELD guitar chords for instance.. SO I try to find a workaround for that.. The project involving a new kind of karaoke for elementary schoolkids, that COMBINE, learning a song, when, same time, also see, and possible learn, how the song are played in piano and guitar, and what notes and chords are played on the respective instruments.. This has, as far as I know, NOT been done before in the musical/song education of kids...

SO, if you know of some VST that I can plug to any track, then I could possible use that as a workaround..

The lyric window is useless, because of the problem mention earlier in another post, that takes in the lyric, bet each word, tripled or quadrupeds... But, Karafun does a good job, so I am satisfied with what I can do there..

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can use a piz midikeyboard.dll
https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads
get the latest pizjuce 64 and/or 32
load MiniHost into the piano track and load midikeyboard.dll into that and load a virtual instrument also that you send the midi out to.
The green is midi in/out and yellow audio in/out.
Drag a connection between them, right click to remove, drag up/down for level.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394808#Post394808

Just set the midi channel to the same as the piano.

I will look at https://www.movavi.com/videoeditor/

BB_Piano-Guitar-Lead.gif (315.71 KB, 66 downloads)
VSTi-Force-Midi-Ch.png (122.57 KB, 67 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That all seems to work ok in movavi.
Render the Karafun.wmv and BB chord sheet.avi at the same aspect and size.
Crop the chord sheet to show only the top 2 bars then double click the track and position it at the top or bottom.
It's good it has chromakey if you want to key any colors out.

movavi-video-editor.png (497.79 KB, 63 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195