Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Just messed with some newer RTs sending them to my DAW. Too many holds once again are not found, and some chord errors also appear it seems. Just gave up my current project using BIAB .... Toontracks EZkeys is sometimes even a better option for finding some suitable backup style ...

BTW i spent some time finding missing holds myself, but as there is only an occasional indication of matching hold numbers of similar RTs in the RT picker list, and no list published by PG regarding hold numbers with any description of them, it's no easy job. I guess skipping (half) a year updating BIAB until a proper RT update with all fixes comes out might save me at least a lot of irritation.

Now i realize that it must be tons of work hours, and the pricing of BIAB seems quite reasonable, but still ... grrrr. F

Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes I'm extremely fed up since my original post on the missing holds, 2 Dec 2018.

At that time I got a speedy response from some of the forum gurus that all will be well since:
"In the past, shots and holds for most of the new Realtracks have arrived after the release of the new version."

I can't see any logic behind this thinking.

Then in January we had a rather ambiguous response from Andrew of PGM suggesting that all would be well in the next patch.

Now it's The latter half of February and we're still asking!

Vintage

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

The holds fix I mentioned was added to the Band-in-a-Box patch shortly after I mentioned it. The issue was that some of the new RealTracks were not assigned holds and this was fixed. All of the actual holds wave files etc. are already present from the beginning. It's true that not every RealTracks has a dedicated hold file, and this has always been the case. Mostly this is RealTracks like Sax that don't need them.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Andrew, just searched for missing holds for about 5 RTs i wanted to use, found some, most to do with acoustic guitar, piano, pedal steel. A lot seems to be fixed since my earlier post about holds and BIAB 614. But at least not all were fixed with the 619 update, and sometimes it can be nice if you have a filling or end note/ chord with an instrumental piece, so saxes and choirs should be on duty too.

So i fixed about 10 myself recently, a lot are not there still:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB 619 HOLDS MISSING 01.jpg (482.28 KB, 268 downloads)
BIAB 619 HOLDS MISSING 02.jpg (483.92 KB, 268 downloads)
BIAB 619 HOLDS MISSING 03.jpg (468.89 KB, 268 downloads)
BIAB 619 HOLDS MISSING 04.jpg (476.25 KB, 268 downloads)
Apprentice
Apprentice
Andrew,
Due to my initial disappointment with RT Holds and other 2019 issues I have used BIAB infrequently to date. When I have used it with arrangements containing holds, I have avoided new RTs, so I should have checked before sounding off today.

I am pleased to see that the holds I need are in place, but I found some other issues while auditioning those RTs that interest me:

3130 Mandola - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3129 Mandola - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3127 Mandola - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3126 Mandola - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3150 Mandola - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3148 Mandola - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3094 Fiddle - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3093 Bass - No sound.
3090 Guitar - No sound.
3180 Guitar - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3138 Resonator - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3139 Resonator - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3136 Resonator - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.
3137 Resonator - Plays on holds only, no sound in "normal" bars.

Vintage

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
A way with the nice mandolalas i found, is using the jazz it up function, then they work. Alas, you'll have to cope with major 7 or 6th chords then ....

D
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
D
Hello,

We were unable to recreate the issue of only the holds playing and not the normal bars. We were able to recreate the issue with RealTracks 3093 and 3090. They will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

If the holds are working and the normal bars are not it would seem to us that the issue does not lie with the holds but something else. It may be possible there is an issue with the song file that you were using to test the holds. What I would suggest is loading the demo song for one of the RealTracks and then right clicking on any chord and select 'chord settings' or press Alt + F5. Change the chord to a shot or a hold in this window and see if it works. You can try this with one chord or with a few different chords. Try this with any of the RealTracks that you had an issue with and let us know if the issue still occurs.

Thanks,
Dave

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dave, thanks for advice, Mandola 3148 played from the demo, but not for only a few chords played in my used songfile.

Solution: 'Force track to simple arrangement' in Track Settings was active; switching that off EUREKA ! Maybe a fix for that is somehow possible? It's kind of confusing ...

Apprentice
Apprentice
Dave D,

Loaded the song demos for several of the above RTs, no sound, but holds sounded when I altered some bars.
Also tried with Simple Arrangement off and on, no change.

Vintage

D
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
D
Hello Again,

Thanks for the test. That helps narrow down the issue. I think the next thing to do would be to send a frozen song file that is not working for you to support@pgmusic.com so we can have a closer look at what is happening. Please make sure that the file is frozen. If you need detailed instructions on how to do this just mention it in your reply and I'll give you instructions.

Thanks,
Dave

Apprentice
Apprentice
Dave D

Thanks for reply, will send Test files today.

Vintage

D
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
D
I figured out what your issue is. For each track that is not playing you have the track set to "Force Track to Simple Arrangement" under the individual RealTrack option. To fix this right click on the RealTrack name at the top of the screen or in the mixer and go down to Track Settings. Now uncheck the Force Track to Simple Arrangement option and unfreeze the song. When you generate the song again the track should play.

Let me know how this works out.

Thanks,
Dave

Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you Dave, that sorted the silence.

Fiddler referred to this in an earlier post, but I misread and looked in Song Settings.

However, it still leaves the question;

If all my tracks are set to "Force Track to Simple Arrangement" why are the above list
of RTs the only ones affected?

Thanks again
Vintage

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Fix them bugs ?

PS jut installed the 621 update ... the missing holds list from above seems to be still the same, among them some pianos, Joe Robinson and Brent Guitars, and accordion stuff. It seems the RT selection page loads a little slower than before, maybe i am wrong though. But if so any opinions or possible fixes ? ... there seems to be nothing missing using rebuild and fix.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Dave

As per your suggestion I unchecked "Force Track to Simple Arrangement" for all tracks then saved the file.

Today when I open the file, tracks have reverted to being checked.

Is this a global setting within BIAB or have I somewhere in the dim and distant past set this somewhere in the depths of the menus?

Ideally this should be set and saved on a per song basis.

(There are a number of settings that I feel would be more useful on a per song basis, but that's for a different discussion.)

Vintage

D
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
D
Hello,

The reason that these RealTracks are silent is due to the fact that there are no simple bars assigned for those particular RealTracks. We can look into this issue and maybe we can create a pop up message that lets a user know that since there are no simple tags the playback will be using regular chord progressions instead of silence.

As for the files reverting after saving I can not say for sure why this is happening. It's not happening on my end so it may be possible that you are opening an older version of the song file. There isn't an overall setting that would cause this issue to occur.

Do you open your song files from inside Band-in-a-Box or do you double click on a song file inside of Windows file explorer? There is no difference in loading a song with either option but it is possible if you are using Windows file explorer you are not opening the song from the same location you saved the file previously.

Dave

D
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
D
The 621 patch is from February 15, about 5 days before we addressed this issue, so it will most likely be included in the next patch update.

Dave

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
621 has been pulled back by PG due issues with it i understood ...

Apprentice
Apprentice
Dave,

Just as a test I reset all 7 tracks in the song I am working on, saved then saved again using Save As and a new suffix. There are no other copies.

Closed BIAB, then reopened and opened files from recently used list, all tracks reset to "Force Track to Simple Arrangement"

Closed BIAB, then reopened each file from Explorer, all tracks reset to "Force Track to Simple Arrangement"

Strange behaviour, but now I know the cause of the RT silence, a minor inconvenience, not a big deal.

Would be nice to have it fixed though.

Thanks for your help and explanation re the lack of simple bars in these RTs.

Vintage

Veteran
Veteran
Vintage,

I don't know if "simple arrangement" and "natural arrangement" mean the same thing in PG Music lingo but I do have an idea you may want to try.

Ctrl + E or "Options" > "Preferences ..." open the Preference window. Select the "Arrange" button to open the Arrangement window.

The choices for Natural arrangement are at the bottom of the window. Try different choices to see if any change the behavior. A screen shot is below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (182.99 KB, 38 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199