#524282 02/13/19 06:44 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
Dave Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
What is the difference between running using the computer's administrator id and running BIAB as administrator?

Why do I need it at all? Why does BIAB need admin privileges?

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 02/13/19 08:22 AM.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Dave #524289 02/13/19 07:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran
A very good question. I don't recall this being asked before. I'll give it a try.

I believe that running a single program as Administrator would be no different from running Windows using an account with Administrator privileges. I could be completely wrong about that.

In the specific case of BIAB, Dr. Gannon has said that he does not run BIAB using administrator privileges. However, he runs the Windows version on his Mac, so I don't know how that affects the question.

For those of us running BIAB normally on a PC using Windows, I think you do not have to run BIAB As Administrator. And I do mean, just BIAB. I think, and this could be completely wrong too, the problems start to occur when other programs are involved that support or are called by BIAB. People using virtual instruments or plugins often report that their problems are fixed when they run As Administrator.

As far as I understand Windows, and I've been doing this a very long time, from the beginning and before, it does no harm to run As Administrator. Do you have a concern about doing so?

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 02/13/19 08:22 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Dave #524298 02/13/19 08:15 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Dave
What is the difference between running using the computer's administrator id and running BIAB as administrator?

Why do I need it at all? Why does BIAB need admin privileges?

Matt's assessment is pretty much accurate.

Even if you are logged on as an administrator, programs only run with standard privileges unless you approve them to run with administrator privileges via the UAC prompt. This is User Account Control, which is a security feature added to Windows several years ago.

Programs need to run as administrator if they need to do certain things like make changes to the registry or copy files to System or Program Files folders.

The Band-in-a-Box *installer* does run as administrator (it associate file types, writes files to Program files, etc.), however the Band-in-a-Box program should not normally need to be run as an administrator. I don't usually run Band-in-a-Box as administrator myself.

However, sometimes while troubleshooting a specific problem it is useful to eliminate the possibility that the problem is a permission issue. For example one scenario that sometimes comes up is that a certain DX/VST plugin might require admin privileges (child processes inherit the privileges from Band-in-a-Box), but I don't think that's too common. There might be some other issues that running as an administrator prevents, but I personally haven't encountered them and don't have a list. It seems to be more anecdotal, that people recommend running as administrator because they tend to have fewer problems on their system...

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 02/13/19 08:23 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Dave #524305 02/13/19 08:44 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Thanks
I have a non administrator (dumb user) account set up for running most of my regular stuff, including BIAB. But I know that often the one of the first things that is asked by PG's support staff is "did you run it with administrator". For me the answer is probably no.

So other than running the installer, I should be able to run without admin most of the time.

Thanks - I'll just go my merry way as a dumb user.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Dave #524311 02/13/19 09:14 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting thread.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Dave #524316 02/13/19 09:34 AM
Expert
Expert
Thanks
I have a non administrator (dumb user) account set up for running most of my regular stuff, including BIAB. But I know that often the one of the first things that is asked by PG's support staff is "did you run it with administrator". For me the answer is probably no.

So other than running the installer, I should be able to run without admin most of the time.

Me as dumb user think it has to do with permissions and file/disk access. All sorts of access issues happen with some programs (and especially some installers) needing access to usually protected folders, like the 'start menu' folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\. I often use 'Take Ownership' to overcome these, even running as Administrator. F.

Dave #524328 02/13/19 10:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks

1: Yes, interesting thread.

2: I think that Windows automatically adopts Administrator privileges for installer files. By this I am referring to properly constructed MSI Microsoft Installer files, produced by programs such as Installshield etc.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Dave #524338 02/13/19 11:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting.

I always run BIAB using "Run as administrator". I know that that was required for Sampletank.

Just now, I tried turning it off to see what happens... this is what I did and what I experienced...

1. Open BIAB64 (without "Run as administrator")

2. Load a song.

3. Generate -- it played fine.

4. I then clicked on the "X" in the top right corner to close BIAB and got the below error. (The error also appeared if I used "File | Exit".)

5. I tried the same sequence of events with BIAB 32-bit and the same problem occurred.

After getting the above error, the only way to close BIAB seems to be using Task Manager.

When I start either version of BIAB and follow the above procedure with "Run as administrator" active, there is no problem closing the program.

On further investigation, the error occurs with closing whether or not a song was generated/played.

I run BIAB from the D: drive.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
closing error.JPG (16.47 KB, 204 downloads)
Last edited by Noel96; 02/13/19 05:04 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #524340 02/13/19 12:07 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I run BIAB from the D: drive.

Is that a USB drive? What happens if you rename your log folder and try again... does that change what happens?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Dave #524368 02/13/19 02:51 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Permissions permissions & permissions ..

Running as Admin eliminates a lot of these issues, which is why it is suggested often.

Just my thoughts.
Do you NEED to Run as Admin .. I dunno, depends on many system settings
Can it hurt to do so .. probably not in my experience with PG Products.

Anytime I see 'Access is Denied' I immediately check the related permissions next.
Not much else causes this error. smile
You can grant access to specific users, but generally the Admin user has access already.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Noel96 #524377 02/13/19 03:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

I seem to recall you are running Windows 7, is that correct?

What is your UAC setting? (In Control Panel type UAC or User Account Settings)

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Dave #524390 02/13/19 05:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Andrew,

Drive D: is a partition of my hard disk (not a USB drive).

I renamed \bb\data\logs and the error no longer exists. Thank you.

Where do the log files now write if the "log" directory is no longer in action? (Should I make a new one?)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hi Noel,

I seem to recall you are running Windows 7, is that correct?

What is your UAC setting? (In Control Panel type UAC or User Account Settings)

Trev

Hi Trev,

Yep, Win 7 here. My UAC setting is the second one up (the option immediately below "Always notify").

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Dave #524393 02/13/19 05:18 PM
Expert
Expert
With persisting permission issues sometimes i use to edit the particular folder's or file's security settings (via right-click properties). Sometimes i have to manually add my user name (in my case administrator) and give it 'full control' to files, folders & sub-folders. If that doesn't work i use Tweaking.com's 'Windows Repair AIO' to reset permissions. UAC i use 'off', too many errors. F

Noel96 #524407 02/13/19 07:54 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Andrew,

Drive D: is a partition of my hard disk (not a USB drive).

I renamed \bb\data\logs and the error no longer exists. Thank you.

Where do the log files now write if the "log" directory is no longer in action? (Should I make a new one?)

Regards,
Noel

I would expect the log file to be created in the Data or main bb folder. If you create a new Logs folder, I think the file would in fact be saved there now without error, because I expect the new Logs folder to inherit the permissions of the bb\data folder automatically. The question is how did your original Logs folder get created with the restrictive permissions... I don't know.

I guess it's safe to say that running the program as an administrator has the benefit of avoiding this type of issue all together. It seemed to me that the advice is sometimes overused, for poorly understood problems that could have a completely logical explanation. But yeah, I suppose oddities like this are less likely to happen and to interrupt your workflow, which is a good thing..

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Dave #525179 02/18/19 04:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Andrew,

I have had been running BIAB with "run as admin" turned off since you mentioned the above.

However...

...today I went to rebuild Stylepicker and the error shown below popped up.

When I exited BIAB and restarted it in "run as admin." mode, Stylepicker rebuilt fine.

If this is also a permissions error, I'm not sure how it might have arisen. I'm running the compressed version of BIAB installed on my hard drive. These folders were first created over 10 years ago and I've been installing new versions of BIAB over the top of them since then. (When I've changed computers, the files and folders have been transferred to new hard drives always maintaining the same structure.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Dave #525190 02/18/19 07:23 PM
Expert
Expert
The manual needs a "Windows for Dummies" chapter .... The clever ones not needing it can always throw it out the window ... however:

Out the Window.jpg (21.98 KB, 120 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
In my experience Access Denied messages (for end users) are almost always permissions related (99% +).

However, before assuming it is a PGMusic programming issue, you need to consider whether you've installed/ran *anything* else since the last PGMusic install.

I know I can write an app that, if you run or install it, I could change your permissions settings on various drives/folders. Rarely necessary, but whether it happens or not is left up to the programmer's discretion.

Even if the programmer's test computer running the code hasn't had the same effective permissions changes, some other (user's) computers may have. Often difficult to detect on a user machine without remote access.

That said, I agree I've seen 'Run as Admin' suggested in the Forum at times where it appears to not be the obvious answer .. but it does eliminate a lot of odd issues where permissions 'could' be the problem.
And it really doesn't hurt to try this for PGMusic problem solving (a certain trust factor)
I would be less likely to try this solution to solve an issue with an unknown software I downloaded, but here it's pretty safe to suggest, in my experience.
I've never seen any PGMusic products appear to do anything that causes risk to the system; I guess that was kinda my point. For PGMusic products it likely won't hurt to try, but use this advise wisely in other situations with other software.

I'll try things here I may not try with other software.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Dave #525337 02/19/19 10:15 PM
Expert
Expert
Regarding permissions: these tools are to me to be a necessity especially regarding a permissions reset to default, rebooting to safe mode is built in to it, as is SFC:

https://www.tweaking.com/

Still a problem: use this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

Noel96 #525452 02/20/19 01:21 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
If this is also a permissions error, I'm not sure how it might have arisen. I'm running the compressed version of BIAB installed on my hard drive. These folders were first created over 10 years ago and I've been installing new versions of BIAB over the top of them since then. (When I've changed computers, the files and folders have been transferred to new hard drives always maintaining the same structure.)

I don't know either. Were they created under Windows Vista? You could change the permissions/ownership settings of the folder, or just keep running BB as admin and forget about it, like you have been for the last 10 years. cool This is a good example of a problem that running the program as admin fixes. cool

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195