Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
This has never happened to me before. At first I thought it was a Build 619 thing (which I have other issues with, but that's for another thread). So I launched RB and I'm getting the same issue (ran as admin, ofc).

The really odd thing as the various meters and stuff in the plugins indicate that they are receiving a signal...so it's not like the whole chain is somehow being bypassed. :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think you mean it still plays with a VSTi in the Melody track ?
The Melody track always uses the default synth so you need to move the midi and VSTi to another track.
But in RB this wouldn't be the case so not sure whats happening ?
Maybe you could elaborate more.
Below is what I thought was the issue until I saw your whole heading.

Do you mean VSTsynthfont64 as I get that with a note stuck on ?

I tried updating https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=525054#Post525054

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=522940#Post522940

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth you can have 4 instances if you are running other apps at the same time. https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I think you mean it still plays with a VSTi in the Melody track ?
The Melody track always uses the default synth so you need to move the midi and VSTi to another track.
But in RB this wouldn't be the case so not sure whats happening ?
Maybe you could elaborate more.
Below is what I thought was the issue until I saw your whole heading.

Do you mean VSTsynthfont64 as I get that with a note stuck on ?

I tried updating https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=525054#Post525054

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=522940#Post522940

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth you can have 4 instances if you are running other apps at the same time. https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I mean when I try to load (or, to be more accurate, successfully load) MT-Power Drum Kit in the drum slot I see the kit, the name of the plugin replaces "none" in the line of 4 nones in the mixer's plugin tab but I hear the old drums.

Similarly, I try and load Hybrid 3 on a string track, and the VST launches but I still hear the DXI strings and none of the VST's sounds (I just reinstalled BiaB and reset to factory, I haven't even bothered w/ Reasynthsoundfont64 or whatever it's called).

TBH, I've had so many headaches this year that I stopped using the program for the last few months but maybe I'll address those issues in other threads...

It's a shame, I used to use this program so much last year, and this year it's been one thing after another. I've just about given up, but decided to give it another shot today because I LOVEHATELOVEHATELOVEHATELOVEHATE this program!

Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 02/19/19 02:14 AM.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried returning to an earlier build to see if that solves the problem?

A couple of times over the years, a new update hasn't worked properly for me and I've just downloaded and installed the previous build. Doing this sets BIAB back to that build.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Hi

Yes indeed Noels advice is a sound idea . Because you are not certain quite where and when the problem occurred and the many fixes you have tried since, it is best to roll back to a version that worked for you last year . then you need to check that it still works as expected with your Pc build today.
If all is well now try to update to the new version over the top, plus the latest update. It may just be that when you done this last time it installed over a corrupted old version or may have happened during the install so you are working on a bad base.
Just my thoughts,
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
In RB
First, maybe try the Make All BB tracks regular tracks option (right-click - Track option)
When they change, they will not have Blue track names anymore, if they did.
Then it behaves like RB instead of BiaB. Some RB functions only happen on regular RB tracks, as I mentioned; the Blue BiaB tracks continue to try to emulate a more BiaB behavior.

If you opened a BiaB file in RB, the tracks may be acting like BiaB tracks and not as expected like with other RB files.
After changing them to regular tracks, use Save As (to a SEQ file format) to preserve your original BiaB file.
Then work with the resulting SEQ file in RB.

After that, how exactly are you loading the plugin?
I'd normally right click the track and assign to a different VSTi port, then assign the desired synth to that port in the resulting popup.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi DeaconBlues,

Do you still hear the default synth's sounds if you mute the Audio track?

Wondering if you have a WAV render of a previous version of the song playing on that track, and that's what you're hearing.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Expert
Expert
It's not very clear to me in the OP if the problem is audio or MIDI here, but if it's MIDI related: some runaway MIDI controller left behind? I found a program change occasionally i couldn't remove with BIAB's pianoroll editor. Usually the fix is to erase/reset the track completely, or even to import the MIDI file in a proper DAW where you can manhandle the data.

Funny one for the Halion Sonic users: if you leave Local ON active in Midi options, you'll get some low level 'bang a gong' sound like a bed spring when file playback starts with BIAB.

BTW a list of controllers on Bob Norton's site with some useful advice: http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Noel,

I did not know you could roll back to a previous build this way. I will try this if nothing else in the comments below works.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rharv
In RB
First, maybe try the Make All BB tracks regular tracks option (right-click - Track option)
When they change, they will not have Blue track names anymore, if they did.
Then it behaves like RB instead of BiaB. Some RB functions only happen on regular RB tracks, as I mentioned; the Blue BiaB tracks continue to try to emulate a more BiaB behavior.

If you opened a BiaB file in RB, the tracks may be acting like BiaB tracks and not as expected like with other RB files.
After changing them to regular tracks, use Save As (to a SEQ file format) to preserve your original BiaB file.
Then work with the resulting SEQ file in RB.

After that, how exactly are you loading the plugin?
I'd normally right click the track and assign to a different VSTi port, then assign the desired synth to that port in the resulting popup.

Thanks Rharv,

TBH, I have only uses RB in the past for the multi-riff function, and was just trying it now to see if I have the same issue with MIDI VSTs as I did in BiaB.

I've been loading plugins w/o issue since I originally purchased the program in 2014 and 2015. In fact I made a couple of YT videos on organizing and loading up your plugins in BiaB, and how to identify the proper file paths for 32 bit vs 64, as well as a video about using Minihost Modular as a plugin, so I'm pretty sure I have the basics down. This is a bug of some sort.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi DeaconBlues,

Do you still hear the default synth's sounds if you mute the Audio track?

Wondering if you have a WAV render of a previous version of the song playing on that track, and that's what you're hearing.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Thanks Kent, but this is a fresh install, these are yellow (not blue) MIDI tracks, and I'm loading up fresh demos from the Stylpicker, so no audio track was created for these.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
It's not very clear to me in the OP if the problem is audio or MIDI here, but if it's MIDI related: some runaway MIDI controller left behind? I found a program change occasionally i couldn't remove with BIAB's pianoroll editor. Usually the fix is to erase/reset the track completely, or even to import the MIDI file in a proper DAW where you can manhandle the data.

Funny one for the Halion Sonic users: if you leave Local ON active in Midi options, you'll get some low level 'bang a gong' sound like a bed spring when file playback starts with BIAB.

BTW a list of controllers on Bob Norton's site with some useful advice: http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

The problem is definitely MIDI, (I mean I guess you could call it audio in some sense in that I'm hearing the wrong audio at the end of the day, lol).

To clarify. I have a bunch of regular MIDI tracks from a MIDI style (not even a MST in sight). I click on the first [None] on the drum track. I have MT Power Drummer, or Hybrid 3, or Helm, already added to the list. I select one of those. The VST pops up, I select a preset. I press play. I hear the same sound that I heard as I did before I initially loaded the plugin--even though the first of the 4 [None] boxes indicate that the plugin is, indeed, loaded in.

Expert
Expert
If it's related to Midi FILE IMPORTS; some files are stuffed with all sorts of data no one needs .... read my post above?

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
If it's related to Midi FILE IMPORTS; some files are stuffed with all sots of data no one needs .... read my post above?

I did read your post above (did you read mine?). It has nothing tot do with imported files. I'm having these issues with BiaB style demos on a relatively fresh install.

The problem only cropped up w/ the latest build, as I mentioned in the OP. I'll probably just end up rolling it back...

Veteran
Veteran
This is an interesting thread as I am not having this problem with my 64 bit BiaB. I'm sure you are doing this but just in case are you forcing the MIDI channel? I always do this, usually channel 1 for each different VSTi.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
DeaconBlues ... already tried the cleanup? factory reset? I usually have one default VST, Halion Sonic, sometimes sforzando ... so about these others mentioned i have no clue ... maybe you can pinpoint the culprit by soloing, or removing one by one ...

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
DeaconBlues ... already tried the cleanup? factory reset? I usually have one default VST, Halion Sonic, sometimes sforzando ... so about these others mentioned i have no clue ... maybe you can pinpoint the culprit by soloing, or removing one by one ...

Cleanup: Check.

Factory Reset: Check.

Soloing: Check.

As I mentioned earlier, it appears that a rollback will be required. But what really baffles me about this is that I'm the only one who seems to be having these problems with the latest build :-(

Veteran
Veteran
You're an experienced user so please excuse the dumb question. Do you have your midi styles set to automatically substitute Real Drums for midi drums?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Does your VSTi Plugins window look something like this?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you are not using the default synth maybe just set it to midiOut.dll so you get no sound.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195