Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#526073 02/24/19 03:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I may have done this but I am old and have no memory.

Can I ask for a headcount of who uses BIAB and who uses RB? I am guessing it might be as high as 90% using BIAB. Which would bring up another question of why they came up with RB if so few of us use it. I am glad they did, but when I see BIAB screen shots and the screen looks nothing like anything I have ever seen, I get nothing from that. I have had PG software for 10 years now and have still never even booted BIAB. I just prefer the DAW feel of RB.

I ask about this because it gets very difficult to try and take answers and suggestions from exclusive BIAB users and apply that to RB, and I am an exclusive RB user.

I don't see way to create a poll like on Twitter or I would have gone that route.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #526076 02/24/19 04:41 AM
Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I use both, if that's what you're asking.
Thanks!
LLOYD S

eddie1261 #526078 02/24/19 04:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use BIAB to put a song together, then port that to Pro Tools. I skip RB.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
sslechta #526079 02/24/19 05:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use BiaB but not RB. I sketch out a song in BiaB then drag and drop it into Studio One Pro 4.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
eddie1261 #526080 02/24/19 05:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As you know I use RB way more than BiaB. I still ask beginner questions with BiaB.

As for why they made RB .. they already had Powertracks.
As I recall it, the first thing they did was add Realdrums to Powertracks, which in itself made PT be able to do something other DAWs couldn't.

Then once Realtracks came into being it was a natural to add that feature as well. However then you needed the Realtracks that come with BiaB. So they added the feature and created Realband and then included that with BiaB. They left Powertracks as it's own product so it was still an affordable option.

Though it is not used by as many people as I expected to see use it when it first came out, Realband was one of the best 'New Features' IMO. Added a lot to the BiaB line of product.

I'm with you Eddie; the BiaB interface doesn't interest me, nor does the track limitation. If you've worked in a DAW before, the track count can feel pretty confining.

However if you are just tinkering around with chords and styles, BiaB does generate much faster, so you can get more done at that stage. But once I find a style that's close enough I go to RB before I ever really start constructing the song structure .. which reminds me of another thing in BiaB I never get used to; the default 'chorus' structure.
To me, one time through the intro/verse/chorus/turnaround does not equal a chorus. Plus I rarely end up with a song that is 3X through the same thing.

I'm more of a linear guy I guess.
I know I can 'unfold' it in BiaB, but there's still that track count thing.. and having to decide to keep take A or risk losing it and regenerate B. In RB I can have A B C D and E to pick through and comp easily.

Last edited by rharv; 02/24/19 05:23 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
eddie1261 #526086 02/24/19 06:11 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Eddie.

I came from an arranger keyboard / Cakewalk DAW mode , to BIAB .
It took a while to get used to this way of working, things like choruses etc and inputting the chords first. The notation entry threw me for a while but I love it now.
Normally I will start in BIAB and providing I don’t want more tracks for midi that may be all I need.
However being used to unlimited tracks I find my self porting to RB quite often.
Another reason is I like to be able to play the selected track voice thru from my controller keyboard just by selecting the track, so if I am editing trumpet track I hear trumpet.
I still use Cakewalk (now free from bandlab ) for some additional task and tweaks
Like running cal files to thin controllers, or maybe add a 3rd or 5th to a single note.
Also some nice FX like the reel to reel tape recorder emulation to take some of the digital feel out and return to that warmer analogue sound at times in the final mix.
Also some useful compressors and limiters for over lively tracks.

So a bit of a SwisKnife approach for me with each part contributing to the whole.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
rharv #526088 02/24/19 06:17 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I started with BB so that is what I am used to. I guess you can do the same things on RB.

I find BB to be more reliable than RB. I never have an RB session without some glitch. The other day RB just started zooming in all by itself and I couldn't stop it. The way it starts Initializing Accompaniment at random. The crashes. I don't have those problems with BB.

I don't think most people do as much Notation and Piano Roll editing as I do. Those functions are much better on BB.

So I guess it comes down to what you are used to and what you do.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
eddie1261 #526092 02/24/19 07:05 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Can I ask for a headcount of who uses BIAB and who uses RB?

I use both.

BIAB to get the tempo, chords, rhythm and arrangement locked in only.
I freeze those tracks when finished.

After saving, I open in RB to add any number of real tracks solo instruments like axe/sax/harmonica, etc.
On my recent upload into the showcase I easily had 4 or 5 various lead tracks or instrument tracks of different styles before arriving at the Dire Straits choice.
I may spend more actual time in RB listening to and adding potential lead/instrument choices than I would in BIAB.
It can be a time vampire but it's worth it.
Once I've got all the tracks I need to work with in RB I import the waves/midi into Sonar X3.
That is where the ultimate decision making occurs and culling of tracks begins.

That's my path....carry on.

eddie1261 #526093 02/24/19 07:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

you should have posted this in two different messages, suggesting you forgot that you already posted it.
I would have been amused.

------------------------------------------------------
"Amuse your friends and they will always be your friends"

eddie1261 #526096 02/24/19 07:25 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great comments so far and I hope to hear more.

A few have mentioned how BIAB is faster to generate. I don't know why that even matters. Go to the bathroom, crack another beer if you are so inclined to do that... I mean, time? I have all the time in the world. 2 minutes vs 4 minute, so what? What else do I have to do that 2 minutes matters?

I find it so sad that we live in this microwave world now.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Pat Marr #526097 02/24/19 07:26 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
you should have posted this in two different messages, suggesting you forgot that you already posted it.
I would have been amused.

And you are......? grin

eddie1261 #526100 02/24/19 07:35 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use BIAB and export to Cubase.

I get why PG Music created Realband. It allows those who are just getting into music production to have everything they need to record a song. While it's a decent product I think most people who get into recording and producing music start out buying a DAW since it's the main software needed. Once they figure out how to use their DAW of choice they tend to stick with it instead of trying to learn something new. If they add BIAB to their arsenal they will probably just export the tracks to their DAW.

Another reason I think people tend not to use Realband is that other DAWs can be easier to use and have more functionality. While Realband has all the basic functions needed to produce a song other DAWs come with a plethora of more advanced plugins and tools to take your productions to the next level.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
eddie1261 #526103 02/24/19 07:52 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use both.

...Deb

eddie1261 #526105 02/24/19 08:07 AM
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I only use BIAB and I use it to create backgrounds for live performance and playing along with at home.
Being a Mac user I don’t even know what RB is and I don’t think I miss it.

eddie1261 #526107 02/24/19 08:30 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use both. They do different jobs.

So... if I write a song and use BB to give me a style I like.... such as hard rock, and it's a country song... I need instrumentation that the hard rock style does not give me in BB.

I normally get a few guitars, a bass and drums from BB.

But lets say I want steel guitar, fiddle, and dobro plus some nice B3 organ in the background. The only way I know of to get that happening is to open the file in Real Band and let it generate those tracks for me.

If you are totally content with the 5 tracks BB gives you, that's fine, but if you need more diversity in the final product, you should be using RB to fatten it up.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
eddie1261 #526108 02/24/19 08:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use BIAB to create the instrumental guts of the song (choosing a style, setting the key and tempo, typing in the chords and finalising the structure). Then I open the SGU in RealBand and record my vocals there. I also generate harmonies and do my arrangements (by cutting out instruments in some parts, generating new tracks, etc, etc.). I also do all my mixing in RealBand using Izotope products and iBridge.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
eddie1261 #526126 02/24/19 11:09 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi again Eddie

I must say it seems an expensive way to get REAL BAND to buy BIABox and then never use the main programme.
Just curious what version of BIAB and therefore Realband you have.
As Realband shares a lot of resources with Biab like real tracks / drums do you keep your BIAB up to date each year / (week at the moment,) and if so what version to you have as your base software to update .
Also realtrack up dates from time to time.
Or do you just have the basic pro edition plus some extra realtracks. As the basic core Biab program and the Realband program will be the same.
You say you are a ten year user but how up to date are you on both programs.
Just trying to understand your logic on this.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
eddie1261 #526134 02/24/19 11:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use both. Start in BIAB with chords and a few RT's, then over to RB for more tracks (multis and midi). It usually ends there but on some songs I take it further and go over to Reaper or Bandlab Sonar. I do most of the "work" in BIAB because it generates much faster and I tend to slice and dice styles and RT's.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
eddie1261 #526136 02/24/19 11:42 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use BIAB to pick styles, enter chords and set up the structure of the song. I then import it to Real Band, do the vocals, harmonies, etc. I have recently purchased Mixcraft8 as a DAW and the 2019 BIAB Ultra and am looking forward to using the BIAB as a VST through Mixcraft 8 where I will be doing the usual stuff I do in RB.

eddie1261 #526145 02/24/19 01:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB to RB to Reaper.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195