Print Thread
Go To
#526205 02/24/19 07:17 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Front Range Sunrise

Huh. Guess I never posted this one. At least I can't find any sign of it on the forum. It was one of my first BIAB-assisted productions. Guess I just shared it with Bob Buford via messenger. And here I was all excited to show you how I've improved and stuff.

At any rate, when I was first playing with BIAB, this was my first original of mine I'd played with. And BIAB produced this great lick in a solo track that I loved with the song, but I decided I needed to speed the song up a bit. Which I ended up doing by 5 BPM.

This was before I realized that BIAB re-generates tracks. So I lost it, sort of, and I was never happy with the resulting song. It's also before Bob beat into my head to make something interesting happening in all parts of a song if at all possible.

Well I kept trying different ways to get BIAB to produce any sort of similar "solo" (I think it's Jason Roller on some fingerstyle acoustic guitar), and the resulting song lacked some of the sparkle I wanted. Could not come up with anything even close, so I abandoned it. That's about when the song "Alive" came out of nowhere and I turned my attention to that one. Probably why this never got posted.

It turned out I had an old version of the song in reaper with the track I wanted at 120 bpm, and I now know how, in Reaper, to change the tempo without changing the pitch. So I rescued the "solo" I liked!!! Now I'm happy.

This is basically the same production with vocals re-done and the rescued solo added.

And I guess you've never heard it before. Here it is.
===============================

Front Range Sunrise
Phil Leith/Walking Bird Music

Front Range Sunrise
Open up my eyes
To another summer Rocky Mountain morning
Tall pine trees are callin' me
To come and join the day
Lace up my boots
I'm up and on my way
Steep trail up a mountainside
Break through trees to open sky
I feel a part of everything I see

Cool breeze in my face
This is not a race
The journey is my only destination
Waterfall is beckoning
Spilling from a hanging lake
Splashing stream leads me every step I take
Glacier valley open wide
Walk the edge of the tall divide

[break]

Cracklin' fire fairies fly
And dance with the stars in the open sky

Front Range Sunrise
Open up my eyes
To another summer Rocky Mountain morinin'

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Front Range Sunrise Good To Go
File:Front Range Sunrise BB Tracks.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 125, Length (m:s)=3:06
No intro. 95 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 95. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _CMPFBLF.STY (Campfire, Fingerpicked)

RealTracks in song: ** N/A ** ~2479:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 110
Loop in Song: Drums\BrushesPop8ths
RealTracks in song: ** N/A ** ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ** N/A ** 2511:Violin, Background PopEvenHigh Ev 120 (1TrackStringQuartet)
RealDrums [in Song:ShakerEven8ths: a: Shaker b: ShakerEven8ths

Backstory

I love the mountains. John Denver lives on in my soul. I remember camping in the Sierra Nevadas as a very little boy, and the mountains have been in my blood ever since.

After growing up in Missouri with nary a real mountain in sight, I went to the Rockies when my wife had a conference in Denver. I took the week off work and went with her and drove in the mountains every day that week and it was like going "home". It was truly a religious experience, and I vowed I'd be back to the mountains at least once a year.

I haven't completely kept that promise but I've done a fairly decent job, considering. I've climbed a few 13'ers and 14'ers, and done my share of camping in the Front Range Rockies, which are my favorite.

This song is a portrait of my early experiences camping out there, waking up early every morning and zipping my tent open to that glorious sight ... mountains all around me and a full day to spend in them.

One line in the song is snagged from a line in a John Denver song "Seasons Suite" ... "I feel a part of everything I see" ....

I had to borrow it. There's just no better way to put that feeling.

Oh, I want to explain the "Fire Fairies" line ... my best bud and I were around a fire one night with the kids, and he's a storyteller. As sparks flew up into the dark sky, he worked those in, calling them fire fairies. I liked the description. Couple summers later we were out in the Rockies camping with the kids and we brought it up again. On the crystal clear nights you get in the dry summer air at 8,000 feet, away from any big cities, the stars are brilliant. And the imagery of the sparks flying up above the fire, and from our perspective, up into the stars, this line was added to evoke the standard evening campfire that goes with a camping trip in the mountains.

Plus it brings the song to the end of the day, after having started with the sunrise, and then to bed, in anticipation of another summer rocky mountain morning.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Very finely crafted song...
I can feel the John Denver influence which permeates your "Rocky Mountain morning" lyrical images...
Your song also reminds me of my own experiences in those mountains...
Breathtaking does not quite describe it...
But your song makes a far better description...
Thanks, I enjoyed listening to your song!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really nice work, especially for a first creation! I agree with Jim above - I'm feeling the John Denver inspiration here, which is never a bad thing in my books. Your voice is strong and memorable, and the chords progressions are top notch. Nicely catchy without being overbearing.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done, Phil.

It does have a JD vibe to it.

Good vocal and well mixed.

fj

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Floyd. Hey, I wanted to let you know I just bought your album last week through Amazon and I have been enjoying it thoroughly. Your lyrics and stories are so cleverly done. It's in the vein of Jerry Jeff Walker and a little Jimmy Buffett, for starters, but definitely all "Floyd Jane". A lot of fun to listen to!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the memories. We used to mountain bike on the front range...and deeper into the mountains.

You well captured the JD feel but it is tempered with very nice touches of your personal approach.

It's well written, performed and mixed! And enjoyable.

J&B

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Phil, thanks for sharing this! The different elements really glue well together and the vibe is very appealing. The lyrics are quite fun. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
very nice

strong descriptive writing, I feel the presence of John Denver

nice arrangement, well chosen instruments

good straightforward vocals

a pleasure to listen to,

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely tune and vocal. One of the benefits of living in Alberta is the Rockies are only a stones throw from here. I can totally relate to the lyrics. Well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Some of the imagery of this song give it an almost fantasy-esque element to the song that I really appreciate. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you muchly, everyone, I am starting to feel pretty good about this project.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Another nice tune!! Kind of a John Denver vibe. Pretty melody, and the band is just right. Nice!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,505
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195