Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Oh no Bud, no way, I have a new novel to post.

WAR AND PEACE:

My Life in the BIAB Forums

By David Tolstoy Snyder

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mr.Tolstoy, only if you do it in form of a song and post it here, in User Showcase. Please do not diminish, original writings of your great ancestor*. You are young and full of energy, you can do better than just 587,287 words! (had to google that one).

+1 for moving this topic elsewhere.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Unfortunately I have to disagree with Eddie on his assumption the Users Showcase is a strict songwriting forum for several reasons. First and most importantly, his definition is so restrictive there are some of my original songs that didn't qualify to be posted. I have had several forum members 'cover' my original works and they released the song here in the Users Showcase. Other forum members have done the same with other forum members. By every definition, these songs are covers and do not qualify under Eddie's restrictive code. A cover is not constrained to a commercial hit song. I am aware that in the past some forum members have corroborated with friends or family and used BIAB to create the instrumental backing tracks of their song and posted these on the Users Showcase with the writers permission. Again, this falls short using Eddie's narrow and restrictive interpretation of proper use of the Users Showcase.

Second, It has been my understanding the entire time I have been a forum member that if one had all the rights to a song, it could be posted in the Users Showcase. Over the years, several members obtained legal license to commercially and privately record and release copyrighted material and some of those releases made it to the Users Showcase. When it has been questioned in the past, every time, inclusion of the license number was sufficient to stop any assertion the song was either improperly or illegally posted against standing Users Showcase regulations.

Third, it is my understanding the entire time I have been a forum member the Users Showcase is a song forum and not a songwriting forum. It is to showcase members use of PGMusic software in their music production. There are at least three other forums on the PGMusic site that direct focus more toward unauthorized covers of copyrighted material or songwriting subject that buttress my position in my opinion. My assessment is that Eddie's assumption and decision the Users Showcase is a songwriting forum is incorrect and not supported by the listed regulations nor past enforcement and acceptance of posted songs.

Fourth, public domain songs have always been considered the BIAB artist has all rights to the song and publishing them in the Users Showcase has been accepted the entire time I have been a forum member.

Fifth: Eddie posted this in the wrong forum......

Sixth: It's not my "code". I didn't write that rule. I read it. It's the forum's rule. Line 1. I believe in following the rules. And that's why I brought it up.

Apparently different people have different rules, or immunity from following posted rules. That lucky dozen or so who are in the clique can do whatever they want, The rest of us lowly users have to follow the rules. Particularly the rule written on the very first bullet point of the forum. I thought the clique thing was over for me when I left high school 50 years ago.

But I am out of the discussion now. If the mods want to kill this thread I have no problem with that.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Eddie,
it is important discussion. People suggested moving it to proper forum section, not deleting it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I do mostly covers of other people's songs but I won't/don't post them in User Showcase. If this topic is directed at me then I will exit stage left and ride off into the sunset.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Eddie,
it is important discussion. People suggested moving it to proper forum section, not deleting it.

Plus 1

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I do mostly covers of other people's songs but I won't/don't post them in User Showcase. If this topic is directed at me then I will exit stage left and ride off into the sunset.

Please don't...

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don, I'd far rather you stayed . Eddie, why do you wish to upset people and keep getting back up ? If you are so annoyed with all the cover songs, then just don't bother coming to visit the forum. Problem solved. I also totally disagree about a clique being on here. Sheer poppycock !

Last edited by furry; 02/26/19 12:06 AM.
Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
I just want to hear what everyone is doing musically...
So don't get your feelings hurt...
Don't get upset & leave...
Just share your musical ideas with me & others who want to listen.

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I rarely post on the user showcase, so maybe I should keep my opinion to myself. But I have been on this forum long enough to see a lot of water flow under the bridge, a lot of conflicting opinions and the occasional clarifying ruling by PGMusic.

All of the "official rulings" I've ever seen have been quite permissive compared to the user suggestions leading up to the ruling.

If I had to describe in a nutshell all of the past official rulings, they'd all boil down to "Have fun, but don't do anything illegal"

The purpose of the user showcase, I believe, is in its name: SHOW us what you are doing with PGMusic products.

Some people are writing original songs, some are interpreting public domain works, some have purchase a license to make it legal for them to post a cover. The way I see it, if what you are doing is legal, its OK.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

The purpose of the user showcase, I believe, is in its name: SHOW us what you are doing with PGMusic products.

Some people are writing original songs, some are interpreting public domain works, some have purchase a license to make it legal for them to post a cover. The way I see it, if what you are doing is legal, its OK.

+1 Nicely said.
There some amazing covers/arrangements/public domain items that had been posted to Showcase. I do not want to see them gone!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

One way to achieve owning all the song rights is when you are presenting your interpretation of a public domain song, i.e., not copying another version.

Regarding the PD it is challenging but assuredly possible to research whether or not a song is in the PD and for which country that applies to. For every PD song we have posted here I did extensive research to determine that it was actually in the PD and that, consequently, we would own all rights to it. The result of this research was the production of PD songs that we have had licensed by Mood Media with no ownership issues.

I'm not trying to be didactic or self-righteous...just presenting our decision and perspective and I intend no disrespect to anybody who differently interprets the above. PG Music's leniency is obviously their prerogative.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure if this point has been made before, but some people simply CAN'T compose music even though they may be damn good musicians and arrangers. My view is that it would be a real shame if those who CAN'T compose aren't allowed to show off their talents. Even those of us who DO compose frequently get a mental block and can go for weeks or even months without being able to compose, I found myself in this situation last year and due to illness and just not having the mental capability I was months not composing anything.
So I say we need some kind of leniency on this matter.

I apologise to you Eddie for getting a bit harsh I havn't been in the best of health myself for some time and I get wound up quite easily.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I think Bud came closest to the correct answer. But, not close enough IMHO! smile The first rule says this,

Quote:
The songs must be originals, no copyrighted or "cover" songs. You must have all of the rights to the songs.

This seems totally unambiguous to me. And it seems PGM went out of their way to make it so. The first part of the first sentence says it all. If you didn't write it you cannot post it. You cannot cover any song, public domain or otherwise and have that be an original. Furthermore, if you wrote it but transferred rights away then the second sentence prohibits you from posting it.

Sundance pointed out that Peter Gannon himself indicated it is OK to post links to covers in the "I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube". So...problem solved! If you wanna post a cover put it on Youtube and link to it in that forum. If you have something you wrote and you still retain rights to then post it in the showcase.

By following these simple rules you are ensuring that PGM does not get in any trouble for licensing violations.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Just to continue that thought...why would PGM discourage posting public domain songs in the showcase? Simple! Not everyone will agree or understand or do their due diligence to ensure a song is in the public domain. Also, what might be in the public domain in your country may not be in another and this is an international website. So, if PGM allowed public domain covers they could be assuming some level of responsibility for policing it. And it is far easier for them to simply say originals only.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A big ole FWIW: I don't consider a PD song production to be a "cover." Why? Because as PG Music states you must own all of the rights. And with your interpretation of a PD song you own it in toto. You can license it as yours and do whatever you wish with it. Millions are played everyday and posted on YouTube, etc., with no issues.

PG Music's comments on covers is certainly understandable; however, unlike SoundCloud and other sites PG Music is not "hosting" the songs posted...they are only posting a link to them. Their approach encourages users to use BiaB to create songs and be creative with their product. And it has certainly worked for us! All our years in bluegrass bands we played either covers or PD songs. Were it not for BiaB we would not be writing now. Thank you.

As far as what is the country of origin goes regarding the PD that's interesting. One might argue that it is where the host, e.g., Soundcloud is located? I don't know. For us we always use the USA laws which are by far are among the most stringent in the world.

For us, if PD songs were to be banned about 25% of our catalog would have to be removed smile Not to mention that many of our blues or traditional bluegrass songs are so obscure in origin we've gone to great lengths to give the story behind them. Hey some of them date to the 1700's like the reggae version of Pretty Polly we did.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
By definition - Public Domain "the state of belonging or being available to the public as a whole, and therefore not subject to copyright."

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I don't consider a PD song production to be a "cover."

But your interpretation of an existing song is still in violation of the very first thing they say, "The songs must be originals". Maybe PGM does not care but I wonder why they said "The songs must be originals" if songs that are not originals are acceptable?

I'd like to hear from PG or someone authorized to resolve this. We can only be as accurate as their statement. And their statement is pretty clear.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If I register, i.e., copyright my version of a PD song I consider it original. As much as somebody who uses exactly the same complex chord progression of a song and calls it his or her own . Yep, I know progressions can’t be copyrighted. FWIW, With our PD songs we invariably change the chords and the lyric. I think PG Music has amply demonstrated liency regarding the use of PD material.

OK that’s my story and I’m sticking with it! smile smile

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
If I register, i.e., copyright my version of a PD song I consider it original. As much as somebody who uses exactly the same complex chord progression of a song and calls it his or her own . Yep, I know progressions can’t be copyrighted. FWIW, With our PD songs we invariably change the chords and the lyric. I think PG Music has amply demonstrated liency regarding the use of PD material.

OK that’s my story and I’m sticking with it! smile smile

It's a cover! laugh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195