Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

Floyd Jane had suggested that we should have a contest to figure out how best to mix this Rock song.

Here is a link to the raw stems/tracks. Please advise if there is any issue with the tracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dtkdhe0dij57dd8/AABBWL72gE18iwTwaynVDefea?dl=0

Here is a version with little to no mixing. As you can see I have little skill in this area!!!

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/cyber-space-final3

Feel free to mix as you see fit. It would be cool if you could keep track of how you mix this, what FX's you use, ect, for a later discussion. After mixing and posting we can all listen to see what we think.

Thanks,

Billy

EDIT: Key of E 120 BPM

Last edited by Planobilly; 02/28/19 06:04 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome, Billy!

So that everyone knows... I've downloaded these... it is simple to do - the Download button in Dropbox (upper right hand corner) will download the entire folder as a zip file - 230M. It will extract to 488M (they are WAVs).

The download is really fast (for me anyway) - less than a minute.

The stems all line up perfectly in the DAW (Studio One, for me).

So, quick and easy to get started...

I also check replacing the drums. You can bring up BIAB, set a tempo of 120 and about 105 measures - and any generated RealDrums line up perfectly...

Last edited by floyd jane; 02/28/19 06:41 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I assume that everyone would know but just in case...

The song is written in four bar segments. Starting at measure three.

|E|E|E|E (this is a E power chord riff)
|D|A|E|E
|D|A|E|E

As this repeats, you can also see this as 12 bar segments.

The song is 103 measures long. There is a four measure fade at the end.

If the guitar solo will not fit over your version I can replay the solo or you can play the solo yourself as you like.

I also put this together in Studio One 4.

Floyd....you should not have let me know you are using Studio One!!! I will be bugging you with questions!!! Ha Ha lol

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd....you should not have let me know you are using Studio One!!! I will be bugging you with questions!

Same here!

I just DLed the folder and hope to get at this soon.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
First of all I just had a listen, good song!

I’ll give it a go if I can find the time, I’ve never tried to mix someone’s else’s song before so it will be good experience, and also fun.

I guess we just post the song links as part of this thread?

Veteran
Veteran
I'm looking forward to hearing different interpretations!
Y'all feel free to knock this one...

My mix of Planobilly's Cyber Space

I swapped out the drums for RockHardEven8. I dropped a Studio One preset on that - called S1 Drumgroup - the one I use all the time - includes a multiband compressor and EQ.

The bass got another preset "Funk Bass" (compression and EQ) that gives some definition.

I bumped up the high EQ (a shelf) on the lead guitars to give them "some sheen".

The vocals (and harmonies) are cool. That boy can sing! I added the usual compression, EQ, delay and reverb (a bit more delay and reverb than I usually use). The harmonies all got a Nectar preset (Rock Classic (group)).

The rest was just panning (guitars and harmonies) and setting volumes of tracks relative to the others... mostly to bring out the vocals and the drums and the bass (I don't think I got the bass "fat" enough, though).

These type songs (Hard Rock with screamin' guitars and vocals) ARE harder to mix (I think) - especially for those of us who don't do them (usually). My ears are shot for a while... smile

Veteran
Veteran
Great version! I like what you did. A combination of subtle moves can make a big difference. Plus I like the new drums.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with! I'm curious to hear the results.

Cheers,
Ember
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Floyd, Great job!!

I had to leave for a while today.

I find I can not listen to this style of music with a headset on for too very long. It is a lot of work to mix this sort of thing. Even worse on stage live!!lol

I have to redo the lead guitar line at the end of the song and get it off the vocal.There are two guitar notes that have to come out at 3:08.

I am going to try to duplicate what you did in Studio One. I own that DAW and Sonar Platinum.

A question about drums in general. I assume there is no way in BB to have drum kit pieces split out on separate tracks. What if you wanted to put some reverb on just the snare or EQ to change the tone?

Also, I know how to multi track drums in Sonar but I have not quite got a handle on the same process in Studio One.I know how to do it but find it odd not to see a track.

I am going to try out the S1 Drumgroup.

Thank you very much for taking the time to mix this.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Does it have to be using PG products - because I have fallen in love with ToonTrack EZDrummer, and I would be going that way for drums if I had my choice.

Veteran
Veteran
Can I redo the lead guitar part if I keep it close to what the original is playing?

Nothing wrong with what is there now, just want to have some fun smile

EDIT: Actually after thinking about it for a minute it's better if I didn't, not a true comparison to see how different people mix if the guitar on mine is different.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 03/01/19 02:30 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Does it have to be using PG products - because I have fallen in love with ToonTrack EZDrummer, and I would be going that way for drums if I had my choice.

My opinion - since this is really Billy's show - is that using EZ Drummer would be fair game, since Billy stated early on that he was not satisfied with the drums (that is why I replaced them). And... it is a mix, so not really a PG-Music-product thing (most the tracks ARE from BIAB). I, for one, would love to hear you do a mix...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Can I redo the lead guitar part if I keep it close to what the original is playing?

Nothing wrong with what is there now, just want to have some fun smile

EDIT: Actually after thinking about it for a minute it's better if I didn't, not a true comparison to see how different people mix if the guitar on mine is different.

Again, my opinion - because it is Billy's show - I think changing the drums (and perhaps the bass?) would be "okay", but the guitars - especially the lead - should remain - as you state - for comparison purposes.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guys,

Please feel free to use what ever you like. I have EZDrummer and addictive drums and session drummer and one or two others. I would actually prefer to use one of those because of the greater amount of control. I think the drum line from BB that Floyd used is is OK. The only issue is there is no way to control each separate piece.

If anyone wants to create another version by playing a new guitar line, that would be really fine with me. Perhaps if you do that you should make two versions. One we can compare for mixing purposes and a all together different one. That would not be the first time someone here has reworked one of my songs.

I don't like the drums I used. I had in mind to get the drummer in the band to play something in his studio at some point in the future. I am not in love with the bass line. If we only change the bass line and drums, the song will remain more or less the same. It will still be a screaming rock vocal/guitar song.

As far as the lead guitar line goes, most likely every time I play this song I will play a somewhat different lead.

All of us here like PG products or we would not be here to begin with. I think all would agree there is no good reason to use them exclusively. I did not write down what I used out of BB. But for sure the bass track, one rhythm track. I think all the other guitar I played. I used Addictive drums. The vocals were done by Dan,a friend of mine in London, England. Future vocals will be done here live in my studio using the guys in the band.

I have to go to the the Dr. Be back in a bit. Don't ever get old..lollol

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
S
S
Looking through the net I found a vid that demonstrated how to add vocal tracks. He was using BIAB 2018 which had some files named Vocal Ooh,s and Vocal Aah,s. I am using BIAB 2019 and I cannot find these files anywhere. Any suggestions

Veteran
Veteran
Well, that was fun! I normally spend three days or more on a mix, here is the result of three hours including building the drum track:

My mix of Cyber Space

I used EZDrummer2 to build the drum track, and ran it through CLA Drums

Bass is processed with CLA Bass
Rhythm guitars are processed with CLA Unplugged and CLA Guitars, and I did some panning
Lead guitar is processed with Neutron2

Main vocal is going through CLA Vocals and a de-esser.
Background vocals are panned and routed to a separate bus that has it's own instance of CLA Vocals (different settings)

Mastered with Ozone8.

I didn't listen to floyds until I finished mine, didn't want to be influenced by what he did. His is much different!

Anyway, I had fun doing this, great idea!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dave,

Great mix!! I like the drums the best of any yet. We will see what Rockstar has to say if he decides to jump in with EZDrummer.

After listening to "What Could I Do" and "The Blue Line" it is obvious you are a really good guitar player. I have not had the time to listen to all your stuff yet. At first glance, I think we must like many of the same things musically...B3, Gary Moore!!

Now I am really wanting to hear a lead guitar part by you!!!

This has been an eye opener for me. I hope I can figure out how to implement some of the sonic ideas I am hearing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to deal with this.

Cheers,

Billy

EDIT: After listening to this a few times it is obvious that there are to many imperfections in my lead guitar line to be "fixed". I will play it again and perhaps others will play a line of their own.

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/01/19 08:02 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
steviered

The files you are looking for are real tracks under vocal. You can select the style button filter string "vocal" category "show all" and this will take you there.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is how this idea got started.

1. I listen to John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom Boom" many times in my life.

2. I listen to ZZ Top La Grange a zillion times. I assume Billy got the idea from John Lee Hooker

3. I wanted a heavily over driven riff that was something like that but did not copy John Lee or Billy

Here are the three riffs. John Lee, Tim Pierce, and me.

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/how-cyber-space-started-track-42/s-3o1j4

The basic music was written before the cell phone idea came up.

So aside from the issues of mixing, a lot of other thinking went into creating this song so far. I have no idea yet if it is a keeper or not. First of all, it is not finished. To a great extent it is not me who will decide if it will get played in the future. My job is to write songs. Others have to decide if they are any good or not.

Cheers,

Billy

EDIT: If you want to hear direct rip offs listen to Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/01/19 09:21 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Cyber Space

This is my version. I used all of the original stems and the only change I made was to eliminate a small portion of the final guitar part. This allows the song end with vocals.

Magic sauce:
1-all drum parts = Waves CLA drums
2-Bass = Studio One Pro compression
3-all guitars = Waves REDD17
4-all vocals = Waves JJP Vocals, Waves Vocal Rider, a touch of Breverb
Master buss = Studio One Pro EQ and compression.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Mario,

Cool mix. This changed the song from a screaming in your face Rock tune to something a little more musical and subdued.

It is pretty amazing how different the same set of stems can turn out as a function of mixing.

Thanks for doing this. I for one am getting a education in what is possible.

Given the fact that there are many imperfections in the original stems,I think if a thousand separate people listen to each mix it would be hard to predict which one would be liked the best.Even if the obvious imperfections were fixed, it would be difficult to guess what non musicians would think.

It appears that Studio One is liked by more than a few people.

Thanks,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/01/19 11:54 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,422
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185