Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Folks.

Can somebody tell me what is this chord: Bb1+8 and also this one:F1+5 ? and how do I write these to BIAB chord grid?

Thank you!

Misha.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha,

I have never in my life seen that type of chord notation before.

All I can think of is that the notation is relating to intervals (or scale number). With this in mind...

(1) Bb1+8 could mean two Bb notes that are an octave apart played together

Editing a BIAB midi track would allow the user to create a chord where octaves play together. I don't know of a simple chord notation that can be entered into BIAB that will do this.

(2) F1+5 could mean F (the 1, tonic note) played with C (the note a perfect 5th above -- which is also the 5th note of the scale)

If this is the case, in BIAB F1+5 would be entered into BIAB as F5 (a power chord that only consists of the tonic and fifth without the third; i.e. F5 = F-C and no A).

Where did you see this notation? I'd like to read some background about how it came into being.

If my above theory is correct, then it's possible that it is a modern form of figured bass. In the days of Bach and Vivaldi, figured bass notation consisted of the written bass note being used as "1" and then the notes to be played above it were written as numerals that indicated the distance between the #1 note and the other notes. For example if 46 (vertically aligned) was placed under a C it would mean to play C+4+6 = C-F-A.

Here's an article on figured bass...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figured_bass

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
^
Rustyspoon#

to repeat Noel's question :

Quote:
Where did you see this notation?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: w
^
Rustyspoon#

to repeat Noel's question :

Quote:
Where did you see this notation?

I am interested also. I have been reading notation a long time and I have never seen this. I searched the Internet and came up with nothing also.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I thought I’d seen any kind of music notation there is.

How about a picture of the music?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I've seen Bb-8va or F5+8va (usually with the + or - as superscript) meaning play an octave lower or higher, but never in the format you've presented.

Yes, a screen capture would br great.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
I know these two types of chords above.
You may find them in the hardware arrangers. These chords are recognized by the H/W arrangers to get 2 single notes with an octave gap for the X1+8, and the tonic and the fifth note for the second one, matching the standard X5 power chord.

Reach for excellence
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It is part of vArranger script for chords. Noel was right from start and John-Luke is correct. about arrangers. It was not in the manual, so I was a little bit confused. I have asked about this, and got an answer on another forum after it confused Noel smile

1+8 means octave only, for example notes C4 + C5
1+5 means quint only, (chord without third) for example C4 + G4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

So with the knowledge above, I assume it is not possible to have real tracks play these in BIAB?

Misha.

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 03/02/19 10:35 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB can play power chords.

It cannot, to my knowledge, be told to play unison octaves unless you do that in the melody or soloist tracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Thanks for the added information. As Matt mentions above, and what I mentioned in my first reply, the power chord can be played in BIAB. Just enter X5 (where X is the chord).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB can't play octaves in the chord grid, because by definition, it's not a chord...it's a note (well the same note an octave apart).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
BIAB can't play octaves in the chord grid, because by definition, it's not a chord...it's a note (well the same note an octave apart).

I'm so old that I was taught that a chord consists of three or more different notes! Two notes was harmony. So how in heck can a so called "power chord" consist of only the tonic and fifth of the scale?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Indeed, 'Power Chord' is a colloquial and excessive term, because we get only two notes so it is not a chord according to the standard definition of a music chord.
But now, it has entered in the usual language, so....

Re the 'X1+8 chord', sometines noted X8 : this 'chord' is often used in etheral movie music for examples.
Not yet available as RealTracks, but you can get it easy with MIDI : writing the full parts (2 notes) or playing with MIDI harmonies in the Melody or Soloist tracks.

Reach for excellence
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jford

I'm so old that I was taught that a chord consists of three or more different notes! Two notes was harmony. So how in heck can a so called "power chord" consist of only the tonic and fifth of the scale?

For those of us who have had formal music lessons, Mario is correct.

One note = a note
Two notes = and interval
Three notes = a chord

What some guitarists call a power chord is nothing but a root/fifth interval and IMHO should not be called a chord.

And what makes a fifth interval so powerful anyway? Are two notes more powerful than 3?

There is a precise language of music, which is learned when you take theory classes. When you erode the language you weaken the communication.

Insights, incites and a minor rant by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
It cannot, to my knowledge, be told to play unison octaves unless you do that in the melody or soloist tracks.

... or unless you create a style via the StyleMaker with just unison octaves, which should be an easy exercise.

Martin
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi all
Yes I agree we could argue all day over what we call these things but:
I soon learnt when I first started to tinkle on a piano that you could get a pleasant sound simply by playing every other note if working in C of course I know now that I was just adding a 3rd . I also found that I could thicken up the sound a bit by playing the octave.
If you play the C maj chord in the 1st position and add the octave 8 it seems to enforce the root. Also I am sure that many of you will have reinforced the root by playing it again an octave or 2 lower, say Cmaj chord around C5 reinforced by a C3or 4 maybe.
In a band situation this would be the job of say the bass player. But if you have only got a piano then it’s down to you.
So is a Cmaj +8 a power chord ??
While I am at it, as octave numbering can be a bit of a nightmare you may like to have a read of my article from my web site So that when I talk about note C5 you now which C I mean.

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/my_technical_articles2.html#octaves

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

What some guitarists call a power chord is nothing but a root/fifth interval and IMHO should not be called a chord.

And what makes a fifth interval so powerful anyway? Are two notes more powerful than 3?

I am a guitarist, so I can add some explanations.

When we refer to a power chord, it don't make any reference to the construction of the chord (the fifth interval) but to the physical reference of the sound, that is the loudness of the chord.
Indeed, power chords are always played on a guitar with many effects pedals - mainly distorsion pedals, fuzz pedals, overdrive pedals, etc...
So you get a very powerful sound. We use that in hard-rock music, metal music, even in pop-rock music ...
We are here very far from classic definition of the chords, we are also very far from the standard instruments (brass, woodwinds, harp, piano, etc): we are in the guitar world...

Reach for excellence
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Chord or interval...They are all useful smile
I am glad mystery is solved, and thank you all for contributing!

Misha.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195