You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#527075 - 03/02/19 12:21 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

Hi,

This is just one of the many ways of improving your playing skills using BB, plus it is fun. This is mainly aimed at learning how to play lead lines over a piece of music for people just learning.

1. Find a real track you like and load the demo song. Better if it is not too fast.
2. Put it in the key of C. It will just be less trouble to think about.
3. Listen to the whole song.
4. High lite and loop the first two to four bars so they play over and over.
( lets assume a chord progression of |C|A minor|F|G| for example)
5. Go from the most simple to the more complex.. just play the root note of each chord on the first beat of each measure first. Then the root and the octave.
6. It is critically important that you play in time no matter how simple or complex. Turn on the metronome if it helps.
7. Start a line on the root note of the chord and end where it sounds good to you.
8. Go find out why it sounded good. For example did you end on a note in the C scale? Was the ending note one of the notes in the chord?
9. Play some really bad sounding notes and figure what and where they are and why they sound bad. If you can not figure it out ask some here.

So...what does this teach you?

Where the root note of a chord is on the guitar. Learning the fret board,
Where the octave note is in relation to the root.
Do this for very long and you will start to see patterns on the neck.
Without much understanding of music theory what notes sound good together.
The importance of landing on certain notes when the next chord arrives.
How to play lead lines over a chord progression.
The fact that it is less important what notes you play if you start and end on the correct notes.

Other things you should have hanging on your wall and it does not matter if you currently understand this or not...you will sooner or later.
Major and minor scale charts.
Circle of Fifths chart
Chord charts for guitar
Photo of your favorite band or guitar player

All this is much less trouble to do than to explain. lol

Cheers,

Billy

#527084 - 03/02/19 01:27 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a try. I've started each of the last several years with the goal the particular year I will concentrate on learning better guitar skills. Each of the last several years I've never started. This year may be the golden goose with your instructions.

Thanks for posting.

#527121 - 03/02/19 03:55 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

Hi Charlie,

I hope you find it fun and useful. It may seem pretty elementary to an accomplished guitar player. I think it may be more difficult than meets the eye to play very slowly in exact time. Even simple stuff can and does present challenges for anyone.

I still struggle with identifying every note on the guitar neck. Yes, given a second or two I can figure it out. That does not get one very far as tempo increases.

I was using HSBEV Demo (All Real Tracks Country with Held simple Bass). Key of C 85BPM.

As it has a pretty classic Key of C progression, it is easy to play and understand and stays in key.

After messing around with the root note starting points I described, one can go on to use notes from several common scales to form melodies.

C Major Scale C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

Chords in C major..C,Dm,Em,F,G,Am,Bdim Just so everyone understands, these are the chords that only contain the notes in the C scale

G Mixolydian G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G (Same as C major, just starting on G)

A minor pentatonic A,C,D,E,G

A Natural Minor Scale A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A Also called the relative minor of C major

As you look at the scales and chords above, it is apparent they all contain the same or sub sets of the same notes.

Another thing that happens when doing this sort of thing is one becomes able not only to recognize the note name on a certain fret but correlate the name and position with the sound. At that point your hand knows just where to go to make that sound and you don't even have to think about it.

Sorry, I did not mean to get to deep into theory....lol

I remember a concert piano player who lived above me in France. She use to practice twice a day for one and a half hours. She would always start out with simple things slowly and progress to crazy fast complex stuff.

I put some sheet music from Robert Johnson on her piano one day. It was scary what came out of that piano. I felt like we must be standing at the crossroads and the devil was about to show up any second now....lol

Cheers,

Billy

Edited by Planobilly (03/02/19 03:56 PM)

#527134 - 03/02/19 05:33 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

So here is a little sound bite of what I was talking about. C,Am,F,G
Single notes, Root and octave, three or four note solo starting on the root, slightly more complex solo stuff, Screwing up the timing towards the end...lol

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/simple-solo-ideas

Cheers,

Billy

Edited by Planobilly (03/02/19 05:38 PM)
Edit Reason: To dumb to get it correct the first time

#527268 - 03/03/19 04:15 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Thanks for providing the sound bites. They are helpful. I hope I can post some progress in the not to far future using your suggestions.

#527295 - 03/04/19 03:08 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Ohio
DSM Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Ohio
Timing is everything. Even the wrong note played at the right time is better than being out of time.

I mostly use BIAB as backing tracks.

The above suggestions are right on.

...Deb

#527311 - 03/04/19 05:51 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

Being able to place a note consistently at an exact place is one of the most important skill set one can acquire. I practice with a metronome. I also practice with just a drum track. When I get tired of that I practice with a backing track of some kind.

Band In A Box offers a lot of control with backing tracks of your own creation. You can make them as simple or complex as you like. I sometimes loop only one or two measures with the same chord and play various lead lines over that. I also put on a demo song, usually at random, and play the chords. This forces me to learn chords I don't normally play.

I find it amazing how difficult it is to play precise note values. Try playing 16th notes in time at 120 BPM. This is one of the common standards required for graduation from a place like North Texas University.

Fortunately we have a community here that is very supportive and no one is likely to take exception to my inability to play well. That makes for a very comfortable learning environment.

Cheers,

Billy

#527377 - 03/04/19 01:01 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
Thank you for taking the time to writes down those thoughts. I have wondered sometimes what might be out there in the BiaB universe of learning to play guitar. Indeed, it takes me back a few years to a coffee shop scene where a younger man used to set up and play jazz guitar to BiaB backing tracks. Some of us were playing in bands. We were fascinated and used to joke, Band in a BOX, is that it? (Casting furtive glance at drummer) From that humble origin begins a a journey.....
One of things that keeps it going is the adventurous spirit of the PGM Co. and the musicians attracted to this forum. By that, I mean, keeping options open ended, avoiding being overly critical, and eagerness to sieze the opportunities to expand the development of musical horizons as they come up.

Edited by edshaw (03/04/19 05:09 PM)
TASCAM Digital deck

#529576 - 03/20/19 05:34 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: How to use BB to improve your guitar playing skills [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

I started on classical guitar when I was a kid and play scales with ami on my right hand as opposed to a pick. When I teach guitar I am REALLY BIG on scales, precision and accuracy at the point of attack when the fingers hit the string. Also practicing until the left hand falls off, practicing over, and over, and over. You have to master those scales. I find that a certain point you see the "math" on the fret board and then it lights up in your head. After that, you don't really need to think so much. I love to find a good progression, plug it in to BIAB and just let 'er rip. So much fun.

Your exercises are great. I will take them a spin next time I am on a jamathon.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

PG Music News
Learn More About the Redesigned Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker!

Wow - how much do you LOVE the redesigned SongPicker in Band-in-a-Box® 2019?!

The SongPicker within Band-in-a-Box® accesses the folder of your choosing for easy opening of all your favorite songs, or song files purchased from a third party or shared by a friend, member of your band, etc.

Now, with this redesigned feature, you can view the chord progression for your selected song without having to open it in Band-in-a-Box® and can copy the information from this window right into a TXT file!

The new progress bar is a great visual aid when you're updating the folder - for instance, if you load the ENTIRE Band-in-a-Box® folder, that's over 15,000 songs - and it's nice to see the progress/confirmation on screen. Not that you'll be waiting long - since the SongPicker now builds lists faster!

Plus, there's so many filters added - searching for the song you want has never been easier!

Click here for a detailed write up on this redesigned feature, or watch the Video - SongPicker Overview.

TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2015 Sound Bytes Review!

Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows was released on December 2014, and added GUI enhancements, support for 64-bit VST Plugins using jBridge, the ability to Load & Play videos PLUS save your song as a video... and more!

Check out the candid Sound Bytes review of Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows here.

Band In a Box grew up and became very mature software, offering a whole new world of possibilities – and we all just missed the progress, thinking that it is still the old toy that we used to know.
-A. Arsov

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Chord Options

Learn more about the Chord Options within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Watch the video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 625 Now Available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 625 Now Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 is included in this patch.

Summary of changes for build 625 (March 19, 2019):

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.13.5 (Mar 7) is included in this patch.

Improved: Faster program bootup.
Improved: The SongPicker has sorting added. Each column can be sorted in forward or reverse order by clicking on the column.
Improved: New buttons [Search] and [Search Again] in the SongPicker allow you to search for certain text.
Improved: In the SongPicker, pressing the first letter jumps to that song (using the sorted column). If you type more than one character (within 2 seconds), such as typing ba it will jump to songs beginning with "ba".
Improved: SongPicker Options window has "play when chosen" added.
Improved: SongPicker Options window has option to disable sorting (if you have a slow machine and more than 40,000 songs in a list, you might want to disable sorting).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might prompt user to re-activate their license. Users who are still getting a message such as "program can only used on one computer" at bootup, can repair their license with this small .exe.
Fixed: Noise and frozen playback problems when using SampleTank 3 on some computers.
Fixed: The Big Lyrics window would automatically open when opening a song that contained only section text events.
Fixed: RealDrums picker might crash if no RealDrums are selected.
Fixed: The letter R cannot be used in note based lyrics.
Fixed: Audio base tempo would not be applied until song was reopened or Audio Edit window open prior to playback.
Fixed: The SongPicker displayed a dark grey background after rebuilding.
Fixed: Various minor typos in StylePicker and Titles database as reported.
Improved: LD harmonica RealTracks will now work better over major chord progressions.
Fixed: Look Ma More MIDI .SGU demos were not loading from StylePicker.
Improved: Strings, Rhythm PopCountry Sw 120: gaps are filled more appropriately.
Fixed: RockEven16 Drums sometimes played an ending bar in the middle of the song in the B section.
Fixed: Various RealDrums transcriptions had issues with bars displaying incorrectly.
Added: RealDrums transcriptions
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob Ev16 11 transcription partially incorrect.
Fixed: _SONGBRD demo was at an incorrect tempo.
Added: RealTracks Transcriptions
Fixed: Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FastPowerRockQuinn Ev 160 - some chords incorrectly played.
Fixed: Synth, BellPad, Rhythm 80sPopMelodic Ev 120 was not playing back properly.
Fixed: Bass, Electric, PeruFestejo68 Sw 120 now plays m7b5 chords more accurately.
Fixed: Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPicked8ths Ev 165 and Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPickedA-B Ev 165 were playing a few incorrect chords.
Improved: Several acoustic strumming guitar audition demos.
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPopHardHighMurray Ev16 075 was playing incorrect chords in certain instances.
Fixed: Charango, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 and Electric, AndesHuaynoA-B Ev16 085 were not playing all chords
Fixed: A few RealStyles (e.g. _longing.sty) previously had parts on the melody track, and would therefore delete any existing melodies.
Fixed: _Arabian demo incompatible with localized BB versions.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Chord Sheet Display Options

Learn more about the Chord Sheet Display Options within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch the video.

You can also read all about Chord Sheet Display Options within our Online Manual.

Add Cellist Natalie Haas to Your Band with RealTracks Set 325!

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - RealTracks Set 325: Celtic Cello with Natalie Haas!

Watch the video demo of these RealTracks here.

RealTracks Set 325: Celtic Cello with Natalie Haas is available for $29 here, and is also included in the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition, or PlusPAK Upgrade. You can also purchase this RealTracks Set bundled with all the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 released Country RealTracks (Sets 320-328) in the RealPAK: Country 15 for $79.

Learn more about Natalie Haas here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Review!

Visit www.gearslutz.com and you'll find a recent (and thorough!) review of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

Band-in-a-Box has evolved into an expansive musical tool-set, able to aid both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical "talent". It's easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. An amazing program.
-Sound-Guy

www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1248525-pg-music-band-box.html

Summary
Sound quality: 5/5 Stars
Ease of use: 4/5 Stars
Features: 5/5 Stars
Bang for buck: 5/5 Stars
Overall: 4.75/5 Stars!

Forum Stats
29185 Members
60 Forums
57400 Topics