Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Looking for a passive way to combine the outputs of 4 synth modules.

My old Samson MPL1204 Mixers are getting old and cranky (http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/mixers/mpl-mixers/mpl1204/).

I have spares, and repairing them is a bother. I pull one out, send it to the repair shop, put a spare in. It doesn't happen that often, but it's getting more frequent, and I don't want it to fail on the gig. I lost one channel, and I have one unused channel. That was a close call.

So something new is in order.

There is no small 12 compact mixer that I can find that has 12 true channels. Both the "Alesis MultiMix 12R Rackmount Mixer" and the "Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1202FX Rackmount Mixer with Effects" are really 10 channel mixers with the last two channels stereo. The Behringer looks better because it has balanced outs, but I'll be short one channel with no spare.

So I thought of this solution. I have 4 synth modules that take up 4 channels in my mixer.

I'd like a passive way to mix the outputs of 4 mono synths (1/4" phone jacks/plugs) to one channel. I don't need volume, eq or anything like that. Just a way to mix them together without creating an impedance mismatch or anything else I may not know about.

Someone must make one. I'm searching sites but am having any luck. Perhaps I don't know what it's called.

Thanks.
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
What you're looking for is called a line mixer. Whether one is your best choice will be determined by your total input needs at a gig. There are likely better solutions. what are your total inputs and outputs through your entire PA set up for a gig? Mics, line in's, Synths, Keyboards, etc.

But if you're sold on the 4 mono input to single output

Behringer Micromix MX400 Line Mixer

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/17/19 10:39 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Charlie. It looks like it'll do the job.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you’re not summing to mono, and you keep everything at line level by using a small mixer, I can’t think of any other issue.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have this.
It has 8 inputs (which can be used as 4 stereos),
and it can be used with 9v battery.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-mm-242-4-channel-mini-mixer/630434000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwonm54-O4QIVBozICh10oQDyEAQYAiABEgJbGPD_BwE

Obviously, not top of the line, but does the job.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you all for your help.

I found the schematics to build one with a project box, phone jacks, and 4.7k resistors. It took a couple of hours to build, and it works!

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

I found the schematics to build one with a project box, phone jacks, and 4.7k resistors. It took a couple of hours to build, and it works!

Notes

Glad you found one.

Short story.... in an earlier band..... we used a passive radio shack 4 ch mixer. It cost like $12 brand new and we plugged in several high impedance vocal mics to use in a very basic PA. It worked pretty well.... we finally got the money to get a real mixer.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Notes

If you take time to watch my BIAB Testimonial video, you'll see a slide of a Lafayette kit that was schematically the same mixer you constructed. That kit launched my lifelong home recording hobby.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

That's cool Notes! I bought a 4 channel headphone amplifier kit about 10 years ago and soldered/wired that together. Was a fun project.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<...snip...>

If you take time to watch my BIAB Testimonial video, you'll see a slide of a Lafayette kit that was schematically the same mixer you constructed. That kit launched my lifelong home recording hobby.

Unfortunately watching anything is out of the question now. I live too far away from the end of the fiber optics, so when the weather is good, the best I can get is DSL lite, and when it is rainy and windy I can't watch anything because I don't have the patience to wait for the endless buffering.

March has been windy and rainy, which is unusual, it's usually the dry season. But nothing is like it used to be - climate change is definitely real around here.

It's the price for living in almost paradise.

There is a 15 mile stretch of road with a 2 mile wide lagoon to the east, a slim barrier island separates the lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean. To the west is a protected wetland/wildlife preserve. Most of the lots are more than 50 and up to 200 acres. The only side streets are fewer than a half dozen short dead-end spurs that owners subdivided before zoning in the 1940s. I live on a half acre lot on one of those spurs.

Because the lagoon is salt water there is a lot of corrosion on the cable. Because neither the telephone nor CATV cable passes many homes per mile, there isn't a return on their investment to upgrade or even maintain.

I have wired ATT Internet which is terribly slow. My neighbor has Comcast CATV and to him it seems it's out almost as much as it's on. I chose more reliability with slower speed.

I could go with satellite but with all the salt spray, and no guarantee of connection by the dish people, I decided to stay with the wired connection.

The good part...

I'm 32' above sea level, with a micro-climate, warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. I get an occasional bobcat, sand-hill crane, gopher tortoise, fox, and other wildlife in my half acre, and because of the prevailing trade winds, the air is the cleanest in the lower 48. Plus, there is never frost on the ground, it never gets that cold.

Our little dead end street is very friendly, we all know each other, and we all watch out for each other. There is a true sense of community on our hill. And being 32' above sea level, we are the only spot in the county that doesn't need flood insurance. We're only about 10 minutes away from the rest of the town so everything we need is close by. When we come back, and pass the wetlands preserve, we know we are in the paradise zone.

So when the weather is either very windy or very rainy I don't do videos on the Internet. A small price to pay for a great place to live.

Notes

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I still can't get cable where I live. I'm 23 miles from the nearest Walmart. I've lived within a mile of where I stay now since 1968. I've lived in the same house located on the family farm since 1978 and in a mobile home on the same spot for three years prior to building my home. I bought the family farm that surrounds me years ago and I'm the fourth generation of our family to live here on the farm. In the surrounding woods (and oft times in my yard) are deer, turkey, bobcats, squirrels, rabbits, quail, mourning doves, ducks, red fox, grey fox, coyotes, opossums, raccoons wild pigs and on very rare occasion, bear. I've never actually seen one but one was killed here on the farm in 1954 and one was spotted out on the highway about two years ago. And the year before that a friend hit one on the highway.

The farm grows cotton, rye, wheat, soybeans, corn and tobacco. There are four different varieties of grape vines, pear trees, an apple tree, a peach tree, fig trees and pecan trees.

I had one of the first satellite systems in the area back in the 1980's and tried Hughes net years ago. Now I have DirecTV and Netflix on my iPhone.

We're far enough inland to avoid the salt spray and the tourist traffic.

There are two ponds within walking distance of the house stocked with fish by the neighbors that own them. I live just a few miles from two rivers that are marvelous for fishing and boating and canoeing.

And generators, I have generators. I have generators because we are always the last road in the county to get lights back on after a storm or hurricane. We don't have gas lines out this way so I have a large farm/industrial propane tank that's just about 400 gallons for my tankless gas water heater, gas logs and gas stove/oven. I'm on deep well water and have a dedicated generator to run the water pump and other ones tied into the house wiring.

For entertainment, we set on our large front porch and watch traffic not go by....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

For entertainment, we set on our large front porch and watch traffic not go by....
I enjoyed that line, Charlie. Lucky you.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
<...snip...>And generators, I have generators. I have generators because we are always the last road in the county to get lights back on after a storm or hurricane. <...>

We need generators as well (I have two).

When hurricanes visit our state they take down the power grid. The electric company restores the power to the greatest number of people in the shortest amount of time. It's the right thing to do for two reasons (1) it gets the most people back in service and (2) for the power company it gets the most meters spinning - they don't make money if the meters aren't spinning.

Because we live in a low density area, along the coast where the power lines get the brunt of the storm, and with big lots and almost no side streets the power company passes the fewest homes per mile of cable, we are the last to get restored. After a 'cane we are typically without power for 10 days.

In 2004 we had 2 'canes and a tropical storm. We bought a lot of gasoline that year wink

But I prepare for the storms. The good thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming. Stock non-perishable food, draw and store plenty of drinking water from the well, fill garbage cans with water for flushing, put the storm shutters up, pick up loose debris in the yard, and fill plenty of gas cans to feed the generators.

I've been through quite a few of these storms, and thankfully never had to rely on a government hand out.

Your farm sounds great for people who like that kind of thing. The idea of lots of land around me sounds good, but being away from the ocean does not.

Notes

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
In 2004 we had 2 'canes and a tropical storm. We bought a lot of gasoline that year wink

I've been through quite a few of these storms, and thankfully never had to rely on a government hand out.

Your farm sounds great for people who like that kind of thing. The idea of lots of land around me sounds good, but being away from the ocean does not.

Notes

My local area has been completely devastated by 3 floods since 2015. Both nearby towns have less than 50 residents unaffected, less than 5 churches remain and less than 10 businesses have reopened. My place was slightly affected in 2016 due to the huge quantity of rain and the farm ditching couldn't handle the runoff quickly enough for a few hours but we are far enough from the rivers the actual flooding hasn't been a factor. No government assistance needed here or insurance either. I've given some thought to converting the generators over to LP and run them off the big tank or more likely draw off the tank to fill 20 lb tanks as needed.

On a sad note, two people were in a vehicle that was swept away by rushing water that had washed out the roadway and drowned just a few miles from my home back in October. In that same storm, a friend of more than 30 years and his wife were killed by fumes from a generator placed too close to the interior of their home. I know several families that lost their entire homes and belongings in both the floods of 2016 and 2018.

Regarding being close to the ocean, it's all perspective. I'm as close to the ocean as I am to Walmart...

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/22/19 02:01 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, unfortunately nature can be deadly.

Living in Florida for most of my life, when I decided to buy a house, I chose high ground (for Florida). The Eastern Sand Ridge. This minimizes the danger of a storm. I also would never live in one of those 2x4 frame houses that the developers bribed commissioners to let them build here. The pre-1970 building codes were the best.

The wind is a problem in hurricanes but the water is a bigger problem, and these people from 'up north' who were conned by unscrupulous developers to buy homes in what was formerly a swamp have the most problems. Folks on the barrier island have a problem with storm surge, as much as I'd love to live on the island, I know better.

And yes, being either close to the ocean or far from 'civilization' is a matter of perspective. I like the ocean. I lived near Lake Huron and Lake Superior for a while, but it wasn't the same.

I like getting out to the country, where population is sparse or even the closest thing we have left we could call wilderness, but I always want to live by mother ocean. This year I spent some time in the Australian Outback in a camper van and really enjoyed it.

In Florida we have both, they are a few miles apart in distance but worlds apart in lifestyle. In the east it's a boating culture, in the west, ranching. I like visiting my ranch friends, but I like living where I can smell the salt water.

The selection of music changes as to where we play too. Out west it's more country, near the beach more Caribbean. It's nice to be able to put on different musical 'hats' and express myself in different ways.

Insights and incites by Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well as a follow up, I decided to keep repairing the Samsons, and pack my 4 channel passive mixer in the spare parts case. That way if a couple of channels fail, I'll be able to combine for synths into one, and save the gig.

I put 3 in the shop. Mostly bad solder joints. I suppose it's from doing one-nighters; extreme temperature changes and vibrating in the rack almost daily. One had a worn fader (I bought that one used so who knows how it was treated).

I talked to the repairman, and he said they are basically very good units, and with no computer components, would be serviceable for years to come. Most of the parts can be replaced with common off-the-shelf parts, and they would probably give me more life than a newer unit with custom components.

So now I have 4 up and running and another in my studio that I can use in an emergency. They don't fail often, the last time I had one in the shop was 2003. I've had three fail since then and it worked out to less than $20/year to keep them running.

Not a bad deal, I spend much more than that on reeds and guitar strings.

Insights and incites by Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,735
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191