Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#529126 - 03/17/19 04:32 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: South Carolina
Rob Helms Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
that's the way it is here. I actually got a ton of work done in MTS, but since I grew up on cakewalk, I liked that type of process. I found it though in studio one. I had bought version 2.65 and then downloaded cakewalk by bandlab found it very familiar. but after extensive testing I still liked studio one better so I upgraded to version 4. I still love MTS but the flow in S1 suits me and I prefer it, just like you prefer Sonar/cakewalk what it really boils down to is how each person works.
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, BiaB 2020, Realband, Studio one 4.6 Pro, Melodyne editor, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Akai MPK mini, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#538354 - 05/27/19 04:39 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Gulf Stream(nc)/Sonoran Desert...
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

I read through all the posts on this thread and don't think I found a single person mentioning Logic Pro X.

Can't help but wonder why?
Perhaps the change of OS from Win to Mac?

Its certainly a professional level DAW widely used.

I have a copy of it and was considering it for use as my DAW.
Costadelmar sunglasses
KotoBuki high carbon left handed Sashimi knife

#538356 - 05/27/19 05:03 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Expert

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
I read through all the posts on this thread and don't think I found a single person mentioning Logic Pro X.

Can't help but wonder why?
Perhaps the change of OS from Win to Mac?

Its certainly a professional level DAW widely used.

I have a copy of it and was considering it for use as my DAW.

I thought Logic Pro X was Mac only, if so, that would be why it does not show up here that much. A lot of people swear by Logic Pro X.

Edited by Teunis (05/27/19 05:10 AM)

#538361 - 05/27/19 06:00 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

Indeed it is Mac only.

I still run both Win and MAC os machines at my house.
Even run BIAB win on my mac under parallels sometime when traveling.
Costadelmar sunglasses
KotoBuki high carbon left handed Sashimi knife

#542654 - 06/24/19 05:55 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
.. Looking at Reaper's interface, despite the stated flexibility, it doesn't look like a virtual mixing board, which is something I value in RealBand, and something I don't think I'd want to lose. ..

rharv put me onto this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199434
I thinks it's the same mixer in his avatar.

there's Imperial https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183627

and there's Triton themes https://tritonreaperthemes.webs.com/free
the list goes on.. and to get the chords from RealBand to Reaper you can use ReaTrak

Attachments
triton.png

#542843 - 06/26/19 03:17 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:
rharv put me onto this ...
I thinks it's the same mixer in his avatar.

Indeed it is.
If I turned you on to something it must have been a good day. smile

#543050 - 06/27/19 10:29 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warren Keller

A couple of things that bother me about RB, is that although you can group multiple channels to a single subgroup, you cannot record a mixer move on the combined fader, nor, to the best of my knowlege, can you easily automate a whole song fade-out.

Thanks for your time and consideration of this!

Warren, you've gotten all the standard comments about many different DAW's which probably mean nothing to you at this point. They're all good, they're all bad, they're all just OK depending on who you ask. Bottom line they will all get the job done.

What I want to ask you is to list exactly what you think RB won't do. Here you listed two, the subgroup record mixer move thing I think is correct but the automatic fade out is easily done using Audio Effects>Gain Change. In that window you can set an automatic fade out however you want it. Folks will say they need another DAW because they can't get RB to do what they want but many times that's not true they just haven't figured it out yet.

Having said that other DAW's certainly can have more and better features than RB does but define what's meant by "more and better". I personally find RB is perfectly capable of doing everything I need but that's for me, maybe not for you which is why I'm asking you to list the things you think RB can't do that you really need.

I completely agree with you, having to learn a brand new DAW can be a real PIA.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#543063 - 06/27/19 12:01 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: jazzmammal]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

All DAWs have pluses and minuses. No DAW will do everything. You just have to pick a DAW that not only does most of what you want in a DAW but also fits your workflow.

I personally think that a DAW that fits your workflow is more important because DAW updates may contain things that you want. Plus all DAWs have workarounds, even RB.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#543096 - 06/27/19 03:47 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

#543106 - 06/27/19 04:21 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

I just found some info I didn't know about. I like the Keyboard Corner forum since I'm a keys player. Just 10 days ago the moderators were able to buy out and revamp the entire Music Player Forums network including Guitar Forum, Lowdown (bass) Form, the Keyboard Corner AND something new they incorporated Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio and Stage Forum. He talks a lot about DAW's and just by reading his comments on this stuff you pick up interesting things about the various DAW's like one thread asking is Pro Tools dead? This thread I'm posting is about Sonar but it also has lots of tidbits in it about other DAW's specifically Studio One:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2994239/is-sonar-still-relavent#Post2994239

I suggest you read some of the other DAW threads in the forum Warren because there are so many hidden gotcha's or great features that he talked about depending on what you specifically are looking for.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#543286 - 06/28/19 06:26 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Craig has been around a long time. I red him and learned all I know about midi from him via Electronic Musician magazine.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#543343 - 06/29/19 10:12 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Ohio
DSM Offline
Apprentice

I keep thinking I am going to purchase a DAW until I realize that Audacity is doing everything I need.

Free is good until I grow out of it.

...Deb

Edited by DSM (06/29/19 10:13 AM)

#543429 - 06/29/19 06:33 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

I use Audacity for editing audio a lot. I find it easy to use and accurate.

The problem is Audacity doesn't accommodate midi so you can't use it to create audio from midi and soft synths.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#543475 - 06/30/19 03:00 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
DSM Offline
Apprentice

I have not taken the midi plunge, yet, other than to see if it basically worked on my computer.

I got a Focusrite (and some other sound equipment) to install for a friend who has had some very serious health issues. He does work with midi so I hope to learn some things from him.

...Deb

#543628 - 07/01/19 06:20 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: silvertones]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Craig has been around a long time. I read him and learned all I know about midi from him via Electronic Musician magazine.

I'm in the same boat John. Used to read that one a lot as well as Keyboard mag.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2019, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#543639 - 07/01/19 06:42 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: sslechta]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Craig has been around a long time. I read him and learned all I know about midi from him via Electronic Musician magazine.

I'm in the same boat John. Used to read that one a lot as well as Keyboard mag.

The boat is getting crowded! I use to read Electronic Musician and Keyboard magazine also.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#543653 - 07/01/19 09:04 AM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: Warren Keller]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

So... you're looking for a full featured DAW that is easy to learn. I ran into limitations with RB right at the start. So I never really got into using it but instead stayed with the cakewalk line. I started with MC 4 on a new Dell laptop that I still have, and it still runs MC4. I then transitioned through MC5 ( I won that on in a contest by CW) into MC6, (that one was given to me as a power user by CW) and then they offered me a no-brainer crossgrade to Sonar X1 that I could not refuse. I have been using X1 ever since.

Originally, before I settled on using Cakewalk I'd tried a few of them in the past. I bought an interface that came with the LE versions of several different DAWs. I ended up going with the Cakewalk line of DAWs and have stuck with it ever since.

It handles audio and midi well, supports most all of the VSTs on the market, and comes with a bunch of things that make it easy to work with.

Yep.... Bandlab is giving you the big full flagship version of Sonar for free. As I recall it was over $350 back in the day for this version. As I understand it, this is a deal with no strings attached. Like BiaB it has a lot of stuff in it that you will probably never need or use. So you learn what you need to know to run the DAW and do what you need. It does allow the use of automation of volume on all the channels and busses including the master.
Once you learn it, it's easy to use.

I've been a caker for well past a decade. Probably closing in on two full decades now.... I started with Cakewalk Pro 8 which ran on Win95. I will continue to use Sonar until my DAW computer dies. Then I'll figure out what I need to do in order to upgrade to something more recent and in 64 or 128 bit.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#543691 - 07/01/19 05:10 PM [RealBand] Re: DAW Recommendations [Re: DSM]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DSM
I have not taken the midi plunge, yet, other than to see if it basically worked on my computer.

I got a Focusrite (and some other sound equipment) to install for a friend who has had some very serious health issues. He does work with midi so I hope to learn some things from him.

...Deb
Deb, learning a new topic while helping someone is a great way to learn. It's a win win!
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Just Got Better!

All our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows users will be thrilled with the enhancements added with the latest FREE Update (build 715)!

The program stability is vastly improved, with fewer possible crashes, BeStPlain chord font support has been added for additional chords, mid/xml/mxl file import has been tweaked to better handle certain cases (e.g. ties, zero duration drum notes), there is improved the stability of the audio chord wizard, and more.

Plus, hundreds of RealTracks files have been enhanced and improved with simpler options for RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks, smoother transitions, updated RealCharts and Hi-Q RealCharts, improved transcriptions, and revised endings! Check out the full list of RealTracks and other Add-on improvements with build 715 here.

We didn't stop there – the VST DAW Plugin is also updated with this patch, adding TONS of enhancements and a new Shortcuts file feature! Now you can easily zoom within the Plugin, smoothly drag tracks, use the P hotkey to toggle between part markers, transpose chords to "natural accidentals," the scrolling has been improved, and more!

Read the detailed list of enhancements included in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 715 for Windows or download it here.

Using the Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Pro or MegaPAK? Upgrade to the UltraPAK today to get the most out of the latest build 715!

Holiday Hours - Happy Easter!

Our Easter Weekend hours are:

Customer Service:
April 10 - Good Friday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8)
April 11 - Saturday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)
April 12 - Easter Sunday: Closed.
April 13 - Easter Monday: 6:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)

Technical Service:
Closed April 10-12 (Will re-open Monday, April 13 at 10:00AM PST)

All of our hours list here.

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - MultiRiffs!

This feature was initially offered with the VST DAW Plugin, and now it's available directly in Band-in-a-Box®! MultiRiffs allows you to quickly generate 7 variations of either a portion of the track (which would generate 7 variations of "Riffs" of a four-bar guitar solo), or the whole song with 7 variations that are generated to play different material at all times.

Read all about this feature here, or check out our New Features Video (46:00) to see it in action!

Interview: Aaron Short & PG Music's Tobin!

Check out Aaron Short's LIVE interview with PG Music's Tobin!
Click here to watch.

This was recorded LIVE at 1pm PST, April 8, 2020.

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser

Don't forget about the new Feature Browser added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac! (and Windows)

This feature is GREAT to help you locate a feature within the program!

How does it work? Access this feature by clicking on the [?] button on the main screen of the program or pressing the / Enter keys on the Chord Sheet. This dialog lists many features of the program and allows you to browse them, find the feature by text filter, read descriptions about the feature, find how to launch the feature, access to the online information or video about the feature, and do more.

Examples of a few situations where this feature is helpful:
-You know about a feature but don't know how to find it. Just type a part of the feature name and you'll see the hotkeys, menu, and toolbar info on how to launch it. For example, if you want to launch the Chord Builder but don’t know how to do it, type "builder" in the text filter, and you will quickly find the Chord Builder.
-You are exploring available features for Band-in-a-Box. For example, if you are a guitar player, type the word "guitar" and you'll see what's available.
-You prefer "one-stop-shopping" and would like to launch features from the same dialog.
-You are learning the program and like to browse or watch videos about topics you're interested in.
-You can't remember hotkeys and want to review them.

Read more about this new feature here, or watch the video.

Don't Wait to Start with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac - Download Now!

Want to get started with the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac right away?

Order now and start downloading Band-in-a-Box® 2020 right away!

Place your order before April and up to 50% off of your upgrade! You'll also receive a Free Bonus PAK full of amazing Add-ons, which you can upgrade to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks)!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac packages page for all the purchase options available.

Having your order shipped? Your PG Music Inc. online account will list your purchase under "My Products" - you can download while you wait!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

Forum Stats
31626 Members
65 Forums
63456 Topics
537206 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
SteveCrutchfield, ajsmith02, Pitahongan, Zlowhand, Randy Jenne

31626 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 212
Matt Finley 210