Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Dave, don't get me wrong...if these "artists" are able to convince starving musicians to pony up $997 for their "secrets" then they certainly have mad marketing skills! Of course this is nothing new! From the beginning of time humans have been trying to convince other humans to give them their money in exchange for the secret to success.

I recall a recent true story I read in Modern Archeology Quarterly...

Thag claimed he was an excellent woolly mammoth hunter. The best in the land! But rather than hunt woolly mammoths Thag decided he preferred to share his super secret woolly mammoth hunting techniques for the low, low price of 997 cowry shells (and stay safely inside his cave.) He told great stories of Scramp, a neighboring hunter (that no one had heard of) and how ol' Scramp was killing 326.7% more woolly mammoths since subscribing to Thag's course. And, a very small number of people, from the local seaside community of Gull Able, signed up for Thag's course. They did not ever report the kind of results Thag promised but Thag insisted they didn't follow his plan properly. When woolly mammoths started to become rare, legend says the locals boiled and ate Thag.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

John,

I have been struggling for 3 months to come up with an idea for a novel that I can sell to Netflix that will produce a period piece that will run for Six Seasons.

I was at a loss.

No more.

Thag

Gotta run. Thanks. You are the Wizard man. Everything they say true.

Wait, Netflix is calling. Really gotta go now.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Thag

Just be sure to credit Gary Larson for the name. Oh and send me 997 cowry shells.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Looking at one of her testimonial poster's, Taylor Mesple's older videos were getting 20-50 views and his newer ones have thousands. 50-60 thousand plus. Something must work - Could it be her collaboration with The Starmaker Machine?"

Old Taylor Mesple is running his own racket. wink

https://taylormesple.bandcamp.com/backstage

"For $225/year, you get everything above, plus:

Each year you subscribe at this level, you will also receive a PERSONALIZED ONLINE HOUSE CONCERT where I perform for you online for 45+ minutes. It will be clear in both the things we say during the concert and the decorations around the musician(s) that this is YOUR concert in your honor and that we are performing for YOU. "Bob Fest" could be the title, just saying... This will be open to the public to watch online, but you will be the reason for the event and the title of the show will have your name in it. The online platform we use allows attendees to chat in real with one another and tip the musician(s) performing (I might have special guests!) We might even sing a song for you or to you, or take a special song request. Show will be at a mutually agreed upon day and time. You will get to chat with me privately after the show via Facetime for a short while. You can invite your friends over to your place to watch the concert and be a part of the Facetime call if you'd like."

As thrilling as that offer seems, I'll have to pass. I'm saving up for my annual NSAI dues. grin

Regards,

Bob

$225 is not even a fraction of prices some Dad's paid my Son in Law's DJ business for silly nonsense stuff at their daughter's wedding...... He received that much for a Gobo with a Calligraphy letter to shine on a wall... As a serious matter, I'm in David's camp on the legitimacy of this entrepreneur's free advice. First, It's all you need and the math works and second, it follows the advice my brother told me over and again for years. Third, I'm the one that introduced her to the forum.

If someone is marketing $25 worth of product and can't sell a thousand units in a year, ....... as MarioD famously states, YMMV. But if they can, that's $25,000 and is more than your friendly McDonald's server or part time Walmart greeter is pulling in all the while working far more hours.

Do what you're passionate about even if it's whittling wood and luck and fortune may one day come your way. Can anyone say Duck Dynasty?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
W
Expert
Expert
W
Yes, Charlie... you are probably right... I was a bit quick with that statement. There were many "bad" records in the old days too, but there are many more songs published today than in the 70s/80s, which makes the amount of recently published "bad" songs quite overwhelming. smile

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Locally for me and available to you via streaming, is an obscure little FM radio station that is absolutely addictive for song analysis, obscurity and a library of songs inspired and written toward the 'In the Style of..' genre of music. In a span of 10 minutes you will hear three of the most obscure songs followed by one of your all time favorites. A lot of famous artists find their way to this station via side trails they took during their career steering away from the Pop genre where they are massive stars to Jazz, Blues and other genres that were major influences on them when they were young and just starting their career in music.

I would like to have a listen to the stream from that radio station... what's the name of it?

Also, I have never seen the movie you mentioned so I will check that out too.

Thanks,
Will

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Will,

Do a web search on the movie and right after do a web search on the term "Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars". Between the two, you'll learn a lot about how the music business worked until the British Invasion came along.

Charlie,

Put up a link to the radio station stream please.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey David,

All kidding aside, I agree with you that this lady has some valuable info to share. Here is another person I follow who has been successful at this...Heather Dale. If you have 10 minutes or so check out her TED Talk "How to find a tribe that loves your art",

https://youtu.be/f7tO-8PIR9s

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
94.9 The Surf FM Radio

For those requesting the Radio Station Stream, here you go. Enjoy and find you some good BIAB songs to copy. wink

From the Home Screen , I had to click on the All Time Beach Music Top 40 Button and the Listen Live Button is on the upper left.

Will, I'm sure you will enjoy "That Thing You Do".

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
JohnJohnJohn,

I've had a good time 'meeting' Heather Dale. Thanks for posting the link. Her ideology closely mirrors Leah McHenry's and Heather gives more detail of her success using a system that is fun and lucrative without fame.

Here is another favorite Micro Niche artist that I've followed for years and unfortunately he passed a few years ago. His niche in songwriting is that he's a great storyteller and plays guitar in Open D tuning. He also developed a large following in teaching basic home recording using Presonus Studio One. His tutorials were the first I ever found on YouTube. He focused on beginners and intermediates and let the advanced "take care of themselves".

Here's my favorite song of his and I think is a good example of how he puts a story together. Simple and effectively I think.

"Melissa" by Guthrie Thomas

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

This is very cool John, thanks.

Songwriting
S
S
Ha, that wasn't what I was expecting to read.

I've read similar stats. It's the same in most aspects of the music industry and even in most professions; a small minority earn most of the money.

I guess that's why it really helps to love making music, if it was done purely for the money I'm sure there would be a lot fewer songwriters.

Congrats at being in the top 1% though David. wink

Hello hi. My songwriting guide (feedback for improvements welcome).
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
In 2017, around 1.51 million acoustic guitars were sold in the United States.

Taken together, 2.6 million acoustic and electric guitars were sold in the U.S. last year, up 300,000 from 2009, according to the National Association of Music Merchants.

A little under 40,000 pianos were sold last year.

All of this was in just one year. Assuming the same sales for the last ten years we have something like 26 million new guitars being put in the hands of a mix of want to be to really good guitar players.

How many of those wanted to write a original song to make money? Who knows. There is also the group who acquired an instrument before that ten year period.

So...take that out world wide and you have hundred of thousands or perhaps millions of people who are trying to write a song.

A few of those people are really good at it and have the right connections with the right stuff at the right time.

Is it possible to make money playing/selling music? Yes, thousands of us have done that. Could you send your kids to university on that money? Some but not many could.

Can anyone who is "unknown" write a hit song on demand to be played by someone who is "unknown". No, no one knows what will become a hit based solely on the music.

You do have a pretty good chance of writing a hit song if you have written some in the past and the artist is current and in his prime. Yes, Bernie Taupin comes to mind. What was that piano players name??...lol

On the other hand I remember this guy...

Lawrence Wayne "Wild Man" Fischer (November 6, 1944 – June 16, 2011) was an American street performer known for offering erratic, acapella performances of "new kinds of songs" for a nickel or a dime each on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.[1] Most of his life was spent homeless or institutionalized, and he later became regarded as "the godfather of outsider music"

Sorry, I lived in LA much too long...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/02/19 07:41 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Shaun in this whole discussion. If music making for money is like taking part in a lottery with a winningchance of 0,000001%, you better spend your money in a real lottery. BUT... if you like making music, concentrating on that will probably gives more satisfaction than 'winning' some bugs while doing a lot of concessions to your music.

Unless of course your name is David, the richest songwriter BiaB ever had. ;-)

If I want to become a successful songwriter in the Netherlands, I have to write lyrics in Dutch and make Hip Hop music. Both I realy don't want. Stupid? I hope one day my songs become that niche. If not... bad luck, but still happy (enough.

Thanks,
Hans Berkhout

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hans,

It's true man.

When I saw my streaming sales on Spotify last month, I bought a third home in your neighborhood.

Why don't you come over and we can all get rich.

Do you know Max Martin by any chance???

wink

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Her goal was to reach one thousand people that will purchase her album of the Micro Niche genre along with some other accessory such as a T-Shirt or Coffee Cup. The Album and souvenir will sell for $25.

Her goal is to sell 1000 of these units over the next year.

1,000 X $25 = $25,000 yearly income.

Did she have production costs, printing the CDs through a service or are they home computer burns? Are there CD sleeves with art work? How much does each mug and shirt cost to produce?

The first 2 questions are variables, but home burned CDs vs CDBaby burned with artwork sounds kind of cheesy to me. And those mugs and shorts aren't $0 to her unless she also does ceramics and screen printing.

Only point being that it isn't 1000 x $25. Reality is $25 less expenses. So it's likely more like 1000 X $13-$15.

Wish her well with her dream though.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Yes, she is talking about gross income and of course there are expenses. As you allude, expenses are malleable and somewhat controllable. Her point is exactly as stated; 1,000 units at $25 is a gross amount of $25,000. The $25 product can be a single item or consist of multiple items to generate the $25 sum. It's just an example but it's to show how uncomplicated it is to generate income from music without being a star. Even if she fails to reach her goal of 1,000 and only makes sales of just over half that amount, 636 units at $25, the $15,900 will match the gross income of a McDonalds Production Manager's gross national average salary of $15,896. The point is one can make an income off music the same as they can making hamburgers.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/17/19 09:42 AM.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
It's just an example but it's to show how uncomplicated it is to generate income from music without being a star. Even if she fails to reach her goal of 1,000 and only makes sales of just over half that amount, 636 units at $25, the $15,900 will match the gross income of a McDonalds Production Manager's gross national average salary of %15,896. The point is one make an income off music the same as they can making hamburgers.

This is true in the same way saying any kid can grow up to be president is true. Granted, making 15k in music will be an easier accomplishment but it is still highly unlikely the vast majority can pull it off. And for sake of argument let's say you do manage to do it once, what about next year and the year after, etc.? Unfortunately there are far more people willing to pay for a Big Mac week after week, year after year than will ever buy your $25 music package even once. I admit it might be possible but it is more like lottery than working at MickeyD's! At least the clown pays regularly and on time and if you don't work out there is another one 10 feet down the road!

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< This is true in the same way saying any kid can grow up to be president is true.>>> No, not the same at all. Since the creation of the US, there have been only 44 people achieve the status of President. (Grover Cleveland was President twice and Trump is number 45) In 2016 there were a total of 26 candidates on the ballot. 24 had no chance of winning. The opportunity to run for president only comes up every four years. The opportunity to run on any presidential election has limits and requirements that not every kid will grow up to the circumstance of meeting the presidential candidate requirements. The odds of a musician creating and releasing a record that becomes a hit song are astronomically better than any random child growing up to be president.

My late brother (a successful musician and producer) made his living his entire adult life in the music business. He made it clear to me that one only has to manage to have a huge hit once to ensure a lifetime income that the person can live off of. Plenty of people actually earn enough money in music to live comfortably but are unable to manage money in a way to keep it and spread it out over a lifetime.

<<< far more people willing to pay for a Big Mac week after week, year after year than will ever buy your $25 music package even once. >>> True. You also have to sell 6 big macs for every CD. It's impossible to find a 10 year old big mac for sale at any price. However, it's not unusual at all to find a 10 year old CD, Vinyl album, or even older still available to purchase today. The Beatles Sgt Peppers album released in 1967 is still widely available at all of the music media outlets. That's 52 consecutive years it has been available world wide to purchase if you wanted to. If you kept your CD current with whatever media format for audio is, your CD content could be available for purchase for 50 + years too. There are literally hundreds of thousands of recordings released over the last 50 years and more still available. Is it common? Not for the less commercially viable releases but not unheard of either.

I'm as ordinary person as exists here on the forum and I sold a song that had set dormant for 44 years to a record producer that's received two Grammy nominations since 2009. To be honest, the sell price was more than the entire album sales did back in the day. The bottom line is your CD has zero chance if you don't put it out there but it does have a greater chance of earning you substantial income than your child has of one day becoming president....

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
your CD has zero chance if you don't put it out there but it does have a greater chance of earning you substantial income than your child has of one day becoming president....

And neither is any more likely than winning the lottery!
laugh

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Now J3, how quickly they forget.

Just go back a few years man.

Remember, remember...the poppies will put you to sleep, you will wake up, turn on the t.v., and...

BAM.

It could happen to you dude!!!!!

smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,741
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191