Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Colin,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Your take on this is by far the most different of anyone so far. It is another example of how wide the range is in final outcome starting with the same tracks.

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Hi Guys,

I saw the neurologist today. Not really good news. High probability of Parkinson.

So....I am a bit distracted.

Aw man, sorry to hear that. I've heard treatments have improved so hopefully there are a number of things that will be able to help you. I'll be prayin' for ya!

Being distracted is totally understandable; and I highly doubt anyone here would judge you for a second.

Quote:
I have no issue with anyone changing any part of this song. That is I guess what could come next. We figure out how best to mix what exist. We then can make a decision that there may be better arrangements.

You don't know me well enough to know that I just hear things differently. I love to tinker. It really has nothing to do with me thinking I can do something better; just differently. I hear certain effects here and there that I would do; that would probably not be all that great. However, they would be fun for me to possibly try. smile

Quote:
To make this into a team effort we would have to agree what the general outcome should be. What kind of song is this? Screaming rock with screaming guitar? More of a metal vibe? Is it ever going to be played live with a three or four piece band? Does the music fit the message?

I really thought the fun in this was that it was however people were hearing it. NOT forever to try to mix it the same way. Different people hear different things. It's really to hear what people are doing with the tracks you provided. Not really adding anything. Getting creative with what IS provided. And I'm sure everyone would agree they are thankful for you doing that!

Quote:
There are obvious issues with my tracks other than mixing.

1. My drums were unacceptable.
2. The bass line was just "OK"
3. The lead guitar line had too many notes out of time and a few "wrong" notes.
4. There is nothing really wrong with the vocal. Yes there are some pitch issues and places where the phrasing could be better. It is a rock vocal, not "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Everyone has Melodyne/Autotune so small issues with the vocal can be fixed.
5. I am OK with the lyrics but that is just my subjective opinion.
6. The song is too "mechanical", everything repeats every 12 measures. There should be some kind of bridge to address that issue.

If anyone thinks they can sing a better vocal, play a better guitar lead or redo any track, I think that would be fantastic. Post you tracks and I and most likely others will mix them. This has already turned into a BB forum song, a wide area collaboration, which I a super happy to be a small part of.

Welcome to the world of recording. Everything you listed is actually fine with me. It adds to the "listen what so and so did; verses the other so and so." Don't get down on your tracks. I know I like them!

Btw, was that you on vocals? If so, you really have a great voice. I like your tone A LOT!

Quote:
Thanks,

Billy

No, thank you! You started the whole idea and were very generous in what you have provided. I think there is a lot of appreciation for what you have done. Many here are listening and just not participating. This is great content for the forum. It just took a spark from you...and I guess fanning that fire. So...Thank you! smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. The health issues are just "stuff". Not to worry. Life is not dangerous it is terminal, no one ever made it out alive...lol

I am a big fan of collaboration in any form. It is what I like about playing in a band. It is a team effort.

I have enjoyed listening to the various mix versions to date. It has given me some education in what is possible that I may not have considered before.

The vocal was done by Dan, a friend of mine in London, England. The vocal would have been slightly different if he was here in Miami at my house. He only had a very general idea of what I was looking for. Another vocal will be done here locally when the guys in the band have the time. I have no ability to sing that style of music. Backing, perhaps but not lead.

This song started out as just messing around with the new 2019 BB. It has taken on a life of it's own. It continues to be a fun little project. Who knows where and how this may get played.

There are songs that friends of mine have written that I play. They are not always aware that I or anyone else is playing their songs. Some of them are not even still alive. I might say "this one is for Joe" no one at the gig knows who Joe was....but I do.

Songs very often get passed around in a very strange manner. Someone sent me a email from China, Mongolia to be exact telling me how much they liked one of my blues tunes. How does someone in China find a completely unknown person like me. Well, yes it happened because of soundcloud, but what are the chances of that.

It is getting late here, in more ways than one....

Best to everyone,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
here,s mine I did not change any stems I tried for a live sound https://www.reverbnation.com/fmmandfriends/song/30578577-planobillys-siber-space thanks that was fun eric

Nice job with the background vocals on that, Eric...they really shine here...

Originally Posted By: ColinMc1
Hi Folks,

Saw this thread earlier today and thought I would also give it a go as I enjoy the production side of music, as well as making music - both of which I am looking to do more of. Here is me version of Cyberspace:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66z6uqwdpxubsnp/Cyberspace%2010%20WLM.wav?dl=0

Used Superior Drummer 3 (Tracker) for Kick & Snare, mixed the tracks (in Cubase Pro) to provide some space in the tracks, and used some wave modulation to create a synth / rhythmic effect on the guitar chord track.

Enjoy

Colin - those drums work well - I thought they could use a bit more reverb - but, a great BIG sound. Nice pumping bass, too. And the vocals sit nicely in the mix. Well done...

Now....just waiting for HTL.... smile

W
Expert
Expert
W
What a great idea for a thread and a community project. I really enjoyed listening to the different mixes and reading your thoughts about it.

There are so many talented people here!

Will

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Billy,

I have been out of town most of the past 2 weeks. How open are you to a re-imagining vs. a re-mixing? I see some have added and swapped out parts altogether, so I'm wondering if you are up for an altogether re-do?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rockstar

For sure I would like to see that happen.
I am away from the computer but will be back in a bit

Billy

EDIT: Actually I have been thinking it would be really nice to have other peoples take on this. Feel free to redo this as you like.

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/16/19 10:57 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thank you Billy for allowing us to share in your creative process.
this was my Saturday evening project this weekend. smile

I used all of your original files.

I approached it by trying to make each section sound a little different.
The intro i stripped down to feature the beautiful lead guitar.
...and i featured that drum fill track each time that it comes in.

I chose to do a fade in and fade out at the beginning and end of the song.
...and to build up instead of starting with all of the instruments.

Mutes and automation were used to bring in and out the various parts as needed.

I played live tambourine at the ending.

The drum loop at the start and end i programmed in Cubase's Groove Agent SE.

Also, used Groove Agent to play the added snare hit and ride cymbal.

T-Racks classic compressor was used on most tracks.
All other effects are Cubase stock effects. ( Reverbs, delays,chorus, flanger, EQ, chopper, step filter, saturation ).

here's the link:
Cyberspace-Robsmix

thanks again for sharing this!

peace!
-rob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rob,

What a very cool mix you have come up with!! Without any doubt this is the most unusual mix to date! I really like the concept. Cool stuff!!

It is a bit late here and I have a 8 AM Dr appointment. I only got to listen once. I will listen to this in more detail tomorrow after noon.

I never dreamed that that so many people would take an interest in this. Thanks to everyone who has been involved.

Thank you Rob for taking the time to mix this.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

Thank you for your generosity. This has been a fun thread to follow. This forum has some talented and inventive members!

For those that enjoy songwriting, mixing or mastering challenges check out +++ Mix Challenge.Com +++.

Mix Challenge is in desperate need for audio material. So if anyone has older material they would like to hear remixed or new material that needs a second ear this is a great website to try.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the link. I took a look but don't quite have it figured out yet. Who decides which mix is the winner?

I have at least a hundred songs with all the stems. I could send raw stems . It looks like many people have send stems that have been pre mixed which makes it hard if not impossible to remix.

I will try to take a bit of time to understand the site better.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Billy,

I would like to kill two birds with one stone. I want to take your lyrics, and re-imagine the song in the style of one of two artists whose production aesthetic has been discussed at length here on the forums over the past year.

Take your choice - would you like this song re-imagined in the style of:

1. Luke Combs
2. Ed Sheeran

?

Which would you prefer?

Whichever you would prefer, I want to take it on as a challenge. It might take me awhile to do it, as I am again traveling for work about 50% of the time over the next month.

Note: I currently use no PG Music products, so I won't be able to provide style information. Neither of these artists have anything particularly difficult to play as far as I can tell (slide guitar will be the most challenging thing I think in reproducing these)

Drums will be EZ Drummer.
Everything else will be me, except if I use some loops for drums - Luke Combs producers use quite a few electronic and rock sounds in his drums. Hurricane is one such example.

Why do I suggest this?

Your lyrics are dealing with very current topics. The style used in your demo, though at one time was modern and you executed quite well for that sound, sounds to my ear, to be about 30 years old. 80's era rock. The two things; lyrics and the sound; seem out-of-sync to me. I think you did a great job on your song, but I want to see the possibilities about doing a cover of it AND demonstrate production and arrangement of what I hear in one of those two artists.

I probably won't use the same chord structure exactly, but I'll try to stay true to it as much as possible and the melodic range, so you can replace my scratch vocals with your more powerful vocals.

I may call upon the assistance of some PGers here for some instrumentation. For example, I don't currently have access to mandolin and I only can pull off those 2 finger chords when I've played in the past or little deedle-ee-dee melody bits.

How does this sound to you?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rockstar,

You are welcome to use the lyrics any way you like.

Mat or I neither one can sing modern country and certainly can not sing like Ed Sheeran.

Feel free to re-imagine as you like.

The musical idea came from John Lee Hooker 1962 Boom Boom Boom and ZZ Top La Grange 1973.

If I were to do another style it would be with a young female singer and one acoustic guitar in a minor key and put the controversial lyrics back in the song and not post it on this forum.

There are a lot of phone songs...Luke Bryan - Light It Up comes to mind.

I assume anything is possible, but these were written as rock lyrics.

Cyber Space

You Look So Cool
You Look So Hot
Are your Just
A Cyber Bot?

You Make Me laugh
You Make Me Cry
You Make Me Sad
And I'm Wondering Why

I'm Living Here With You
In Cyber Space
---------------------------------

Your On My Phone
Your In My Head
Facebook Telling Everyone
I'm Dead

You Make Me laugh
You Make Me Cry
You Make Me Sad
And I'm Wondering Why

I'm Living Here With You
In Cyber Space
----------------------------------

You always know
Just What I Need
Hear Me Cry Out
On The Twitter Feed

You Make Me laugh
You Make Me Cry
You Make Me Sad
And I Wonder Why

I'm Living Here With You
In Cyber Space
----------------------------------

I can't live
without my phone
don't you dare
leave me alone

You Make Me laugh
You Make Me Cry
You Make Me Sad
And I Wonder Why

I'm Living Here With You
In Cyber Space
------------------------------------

You Are So Cool
You Are So Hot
I'll Never quit you
No Matter What

You Make Me laugh
You Make Me Cry
You Make Me Sad
Now I Know Why

I'm Living Here With You
In Cyber Space

Have fun whatever you do!

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,404
Members38,491
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE, Nancy Gochnauer
38,490 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184