Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So new neighbors moved in behind me a few weeks ago. They have a mixed breed dog about the size of a golden retreiver which they tie to the fence with a short LEASH, throw food on the ground when they feel like feeding him and a big metal bowl water dish that is sometimes filled with fresh water. I've only seen them let him off the leash once to run around the yard. They are gone so much I thought the toys on their back patio were staged to make it look like someone lives there.

The dog has no shelter, he can lay down, stand up and move around maybe 2 feet if that much. Sometimes he cries, not all the time - most of the time he just lays there. And what they don't know is - that part of their yard floods and I mean FLOODS when it comes a big rain. He was out there in a short lived thunderstorm today so he's probably laying in mud now. When it rains heavy like it does here - it is going to get really weird.

I just don't get people who do this. If they don't want a dog why don't they just give him away to somebody that'll treat him decent and take proper care of him. I don't want any hassles or retaliation from calling animal control on them. And the way their yard is shaped they've got him where none of the other neighbors can see what's going on but us.

We had the same situation with the people on the side of us years ago when their dog almost died because their 10 yr old son who was supposed to be responsible for the dog tied it with a leash to their fence out in the hot summer sun with no water. We called on them. They were fined and had to pay a big vet bill. That family abused so many more dogs in different ways after that and were reported over and over by neighbors. And she's a successful professional who sells insurance. They'd just get another dog and sometimes more than one like the dogs were disposeable - I've never seen one family go through that many dogs and mistreat them all.

It got so bad with them that the lady who used to live behind me (where the new couple moved in) had a screaming fight with her yelling you're supposed to love your dogs and take of them or don't have any! Finally, after years, thank God, they have no more have animals. It was an emotionally draining awful experience that I never wanted to go through again.

And now - here we are - with this new to the neighborhood young couple - with three small kids I'm told - I've never seen anybody but the young man who's the father I assume - moved in and have tied up their dog behind my music room - as far away from their own house as they could get - where nobody can see how they neglect him or hear him cry but us. I can't believe it.

Oh and the dog goes crazy barking every time me or my husband walk out in our own backyard. I guess he's been treated so badly for so long he won't let us get near. So we can't even give him any water. It's a pathetic situation.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Report it

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
That is so sad and makes me very angry. Also I understand your reluctance to risk being targeted if you report them and they find out.

I would recommend the following,

- Compose a nice ANONYMOUS letter with paragraph #1 warmly welcoming them to the neighborhood.

- But in paragraph #2 state that their treatment of their dog is inhumane and absolutely unacceptable and while you understand they probably have their hands full with their family this is no excuse for mistreating a dog. Further state that you will wait 7 days but if this situation does not improve in that time you will file a complaint against them. Stress how much you would prefer not to have to do such a thing.

- Mention that you live down the street and cannot even imagine how hard this must be for the neighbors directly behind them (this is a little dishonest but could help protect your anonymity!)

- Mention that several of the neighbors have noticed the dog's condition and wondered if it was going to improve.

- Finish in paragraph #3 by repeating the warm welcome. You might even say you are sending this anonymously because you do not wish to embarrass them or hurt their feelings but you are deeply concerned about the dog's well-being.

- Be sure to type or print on your printer both the letter and envelope and send from a public mailbox with no return address on your letter or envelope.

Wait 7 days and then report them anonymously if conditions have not improved!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Report it today. No leeway. The dog is suffering. A letter will not change a heart that cold.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Report it today. No leeway. The dog is suffering. A letter will not change a heart that cold.

Bud

I agree wholeheartedly. Sending them a letter would only accomplish escalating the situation without helping the dog.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Use the anonymous letter to report them.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Bud

I agree wholeheartedly. Sending them a letter would only accomplish escalating the situation without helping the dog.

My thoughts exactly.

I would suggest that you not be influenced by old neighbors situations to this couples situation. This may be their first dog and they could be as stupid as they appear. With both adults gone a lot it's likely they both work. A young couple, both working and with 3 kids does not usually make for a good home for a dog. Determine the circumstances before launching...

I'm not sure if you're venting or seeking advice but your situation is quite common and I've had some experience on occasion to address solutions as I've trained and studied dogs and their behavior for years. I've got a CDT from a national dog training school and had some really competent mentors.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Many people are totally ignorant as the suffering they cause, to the dog and the neighbors the narcisstic syndrome today is very common. Many young people especially with their hands full, working, kids, the reality of life has finally set in that it's not going to be easy. I'm not sure you could educate, awaken them with a letter, although there are always possibilities. Yes, if they know who you are they'll probably view you are the complaining, pesky neighbor.
It seems that it's not going to improve and it's definitely affecting your life, so I would say you have no option but to rip the bandage off quickly. Might be good to send the letter, so that it appears to come from down the way rather than you, don't mention the seven days, just go ahead and report them immediately. That way they get a "big" wake up call.

Last edited by Belladonna; 03/26/19 04:10 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's really hard when it's your next door neighbor, because, well regardless of what you do, they're still next door.

Josie, do you know what your local ordinances regarding the keeping of dogs are? For example, here in Escambia County Florida, the requirements are:

Quote:
It is unlawful for any animal under the age of 6 months to be tied, chained or tethered outdoors. Animals over 6 months of age can be tethered providing all of the requirements of the county ordinance regarding tethering are met.

It shall be unlawful for any owner or person in possession of an animal and who confines the animal outdoors on private property to tie, chain or otherwise tether an animal that is over the age of six months except when the following conditions are met:

The animal is in the visual range of the responsible party or the responsible party is located outdoors with the animal;

The tether shall:
  • Be a minimum of 10 feet in length or at least five times the length of the animal
  • Terminate at both ends with a swivel
  • Not weigh more than 1/16 of the animal's weight
  • Be fastened on one end to an overhead pulley/running line

The overhead pulley/running line shall:
  • Be at least 15 feet in length
  • Be no less than 5 feet above the ground
  • Be secured on each end to a fixed location
  • The tether must be fastened on one end to a properly fitting body harness or buckle-type collar made of nylon or leather.
  • The tether shall be free from entanglement or other obstructions at all times.

• The animal shall have access to potable water, shelter and dry ground at all times.
  • An animal shall not be tethered while sick, injured or in distress.
  • An animal shall not be tethered outside during a period of extreme weather, including, but not limited to, tornadoes, tropical storms or hurricanes.
  • Multiple animals must be tethered separately.

Personally, I would just call animal control and let them know what you found. My experience (but it may not be the same everywhere) is that they will not tell your neighbor who filed the complaint. If they are in violation, they should at least do the minimum to come into compliance. If that results in a fine or more, then they should have looked at the ordinances before taking on dog ownership. That's on them, not you.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here is the Facebook page we set up for our two pups (Charlotte Ann and Bella Donna) at Sisterhood of the Traveling Curs. Charlotte is a Black Mouth Cur and Bella is a Black Mouth Cur/American Bulldog mix (as best as we can tell, as she came from the Escambia County animal shelter with very little documentation - we saved her about a day before she was to be "sent off"). Charlotte is a rescue, also - we got her from the Alabama Rescue Foundation (at the "ARFanage"). Bella is a week away from her two month recovery from torn ACL surgery and will be able to run free off leash again. We luckily have enough property (0.6 acres), fully fenced, so there is plenty of room to run and play. They are crated at night (which they consider their sanctuary) and we keep the crates in the family room so during the day, the doors are open and there is always dog/human interaction, with lots of lap time and play time and bone chewing time and rope pulling time and, well, you get the idea. They get a 40-minute walk in the morning and again in the evening.

There is just no excuse for just leaving your dog out and unattended all the time. They are social animals, and so solitude is just going to make things worse.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
REPORT IT!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I ran outside when I saw her with one of the kids finally giving the dog water and leftover boxed chicken. I was nice, told her we were glad to have their family here. I was firm told her all the stuff that they were doing which was against the law and cruel to the dog. I tried to be understanding but not accepting of her excuses. I kept pointing out that all dog owners face those same problems and have to figure them out and this wasn't the way to do it - which is why there are laws. I also told her other people wanted me to report them but I wanted to talk to her first and give them a chance to fix it.

We talked a while. I suggested things to address her concerns about the dog, warned her the dog was going to be in water if it rained hard and she was going to be in deep doodoo if that happened. Told her about seeing her dog out there with a thunderstorm going on yesterday laying in the mud. And I repeated several times that paying fines and vet bills wasn't what I wanted them to wind up having to do. She said the dog is seven years old and used to be an inside dog until her husband developed allergic rash. And I tried to get through to her how important exercise is for the dog and how much like a two year old they are in needing to run and play.

Last thing I asked her was when would they have a dog house for the dog and she said this weekend so we'll see. And she said she'd have a bowl for his food by tomorrow.

I hope I got through to her - I tried my best. I think she's a young working mother, overwhelmed, ignorant and the poor dog got lost in the shuffle. Still, he deserves and is going to get better treatment one way or the other.

I want to thank each of you for the wise counsel. It helped me a lot.

I just pray they follow through.

@John - The Sisterhood is so cute! Lucky dogs!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie - Let us know how it works out in the end. When I'm out walking my dogs, I am amazed at the number of off-leash (yet they have tags) dogs I see. As you said, I just don't get some people.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+1 John.... Keep us in the loop Josie.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I thought you handled it very wisely and tactfully. Hopefully, they are the kind of people who will follow thorough and get it resolved. I do feel for young families who have a lot on their plate, but they do need to take care of the essentials.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sundance thank you for being aware and compassionate about the concerns you have for the dog.
You have done the right thing and addressed your worries directly to the owner, hopefully they will take it onboard.
Please don't just let this fizzle along for any length of time if the owner does not provide the basic food, water, shelter and exercise after a few days I would, and have done, reported it to the relevant authorities.
Animal welfare comes first excuses a poor second.

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1104. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I'm really glad you spoke to them and that it seems like you got through to her! Hopefully the pupper will be OK.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Leftover box chicken will kill the dog

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The next morning they had put up a run - zipline tether - and a bowl of food along with his water bowl. He of course turned the food bowl over but at least he has one. smile The dog looks a lot happier not stuck in one spot. They're supposed to get a doghouse this weekend.

Scott, My eyes probably got big as saucers when I saw that leftover chicken. All I said while watching him scarf it down was, what do you feed him? She said purina - the chicken was a "special treat" til her husband got home with dog food. I was relieved he didn't choke.

I didn't say don't feed him leftover chicken. I had so much to try and get through to her, I didn't want to go too far. I think she was already feeling frustrated and scared. I didn't feel like it was a good idea to go any further than I already had. A person can only take in so much upsetting information at a time. I was concerned she might not hear me at all if she felt she totally lost face.

My husband and I were really happy to see that zip line tether up the next morning.

She knows I'm watching and if they don't follow through I'll report them. I hope I don't have to do that. I'll update.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, congratulations to you for the way you handled this. It appears that your contribution has delivered excellent progress to this situation.
Great job.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<<
My husband and I were really happy to see that zip line tether up the next morning. >>>

That's a good solution. I hope it's a long one. wink

"Leftover box chicken will kill the dog.": "My eyes probably got big as saucers when I saw that leftover chicken. All I said while watching him scarf it down...": "I was relieved he didn't choke." I'm assuming here you are referring to chicken bones and not chicken meat, correct?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195