Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The original Jay and The Americans group.

The recordings released by Jay and the Americans were top notch recordings featuring excellent songs, great arrangements that included a large number of background instruments and excellent studio production. Unfortunately, what you heard on the radio or from a recording was not what you saw or heard during a concert.

The performance was sponsored by a student assembly and held inside a college campus auditorium. The stage was large enough to comfortably hold a 50 person concert band. This evening the stage held three persons, with no stage props or even the curtains partially closed to make the setting more intimate.

There was no announcer, opening act or closing act. The curtain opens to an empty stage and three people walk to the middle of the stage. One carries an electric guitar in one hand and a small wattage amplifier in the other hand. The second person has a microphone stand with corded microphone in one hand and a trumpet in the other hand. The last person had a hand held corded microphone.

First the microphone stand and guitar amplifier are set down on the stage. Then the guitar and trumpet player gather around the microphone stand while the third guy holding a microphone positions himself in front of the other two.

Without any type of audience acknowledgement they begin singing with the guitar strumming. And so it goes from one song to the next with the trumpet occasionally bleating out three or four notes.

Except for the singing a word never was said from the stage. No song introductions, no group introductions. No movement even. They just stayed rooted in place where they first stopped. When it was over they picked up the amplifier and mic stand, turned and walked off the stage.

Weird, a waste of time, effort and money are the only ways I know to describe it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The most disappointing show for me was Kenny Chesney at the Walnut Creek Amphitheater in Raleigh NC.

The sound level was borderline painful and that was in the lawn seats back behind the high dollar seating area. It was so loud, and there was absolutely no bottom end. In fact, I thought the show was starting with one of those songs where the bass lays out and comes in on the chorus.... but the chorus came and went, same with the second verse/chorus.... into the second song.... I realized that the bass player was in fact playing but I couldn't hear the bottom..... an hour plus with high dB levels and no bottom to speak of. I ended up setting down on the blanket and that dropped the dB levels a bit.... I spent most of the show setting on the ground wondering if the sound guy actually had any clue how painful it was and how bad it sounded.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/21/19 04:30 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My worst concert was Huey Lewis and the News. I had seen all the MTV videos where they jumped around and seemed to have a great time on stage. But when I saw them in concert, they all just stood in one place, sang like they didn't want to be there, the sound was muddy as heck, and the warm-up band (can't even remember the name) was better than they were.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'll be sure to miss the new Woodstock 50 concert. Like Elvis there can never be another original Woodstock.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
My worst concert was Huey Lewis and the News. I had seen all the MTV videos where they jumped around and seemed to have a great time on stage. But when I saw them in concert, they all just stood in one place, sang like they didn't want to be there, the sound was muddy as heck, and the warm-up band (can't even remember the name) was better than they were.

It would make an interesting thread to talk about the time you went to a concert to see the main band, and the no-name warmup band went on to become well-known in their own right.

For example, I went to a concert at Carowinds' Palladium in Charlotte NC many years ago. I think the headline act was Chicago.

At the time I had never heard of the warmup band: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
George Jones... yes, he really didn't show up. :-)

...Deb

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HI
WELL for me what should /would have been the best was a live concert by Tangerine Dream. Became the worst!!
The content and the gear were outstanding with synths and sequencers as big as a double decked bus and a mixing console that filled half the stalls.

However it was the most uncomfortable evening I have ever spent listening to music.
Due to painfully high sound levels and in particular heart stopping bass levels from sequencers at very low frequency close to the human heart rate. This had the effect of felling like it was caving your chest in and made breathing difficult.

I have to give the guy on the mixer his due after a while he caught on to the fact that a lot of the audience was suffering discomfort and he did trim it down a bit.
But it was frightening while it lasted and left me gasping for breath.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 03/21/19 06:07 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Many years ago I went to a Shadows concert. The warmup act was exciting and interesting to listen to. As for the Shadows musically they were perfect in every way, but, one could say cold. So much so, listening to a Shadows record and looking at a photo I think would have given me a warmer feeling.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Steve Vai. Punishing the mains, fully clipped. Left after 3 songs.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I just remembered another one...

I went to a classical music concert which was great.

Guest performer was William Shatner singing "Rocket man."

Yes, I have seen this classic live!

...Deb

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Fleetwood Mac concert at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh, January of 1974. My girlfriend and I had seats in the third row center. The band comes out on the stage and plays their first song, and the whole way through I’m trying to pick out people that I should know and do not see a familiar face. When the first song ends, I screamed out at the top of my lungs, “Who the F*** are you guys?” and one of them says “We’re Fleetwood Mac!” No they weren’t. Turns out Fleetwood Mac’s manager decided that he owned the name, and when he couldn’t get the real group to go on tour, he hired a whole new group to go own tour as Fleetwood Mac. I was so mad that I demanded my money back....and got it.

There was also the concert from Hell which might have been July of that same year, or the year after. That one was at Three Rivers Stadium and featured Todd Rudgren, The Band, and Eric Clapton. The concert was shortly after the 4th and people still had left over fireworks that they brought to the concert. Folks who were up in the stadium seats kept lighting fireworks and throwing it down onto people seated down on the field, and at the performers on the stage. Rudgren performed during the daylight hours and had a canopy over him to keep the sun off. The fireworks ignited it at one point and the concert had to be halted to put out the fire. When Clapton came on after dark, one of his backup singers received an eye injury from a firework that exploded in her face, and Clapton himself was dodging fireworks that were being tossed from the front row at him. At one point, he took off Blackie and had to be physically restrained from jumping into the audience and tussling with his tormentors. There were about 80 people taken to the hospital that night with fireworks injuries. I was embarrassed for Pittsburgh that night.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Fleetwood Mac concert at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh, January of 1974. My girlfriend and I had seats in the third row center. The band comes out on the stage and plays their first song, and the whole way through I’m trying to pick out people that I should know and do not see a familiar face. When the first song ends, I screamed out at the top of my lungs, “Who the F*** are you guys?” and one of them says “We’re Fleetwood Mac!” No they weren’t. Turns out Fleetwood Mac’s manager decided that he owned the name, and when he couldn’t get the real group to go on tour, he hired a whole new group to go own tour as Fleetwood Mac. I was so mad that I demanded my money back....and got it.

There was also the concert from Hell which might have been July of that same year, or the year after. That one was at Three Rivers Stadium and featured Todd Rudgren, The Band, and Eric Clapton. The concert was shortly after the 4th and people still had left over fireworks that they brought to the concert. Folks who were up in the stadium seats kept lighting fireworks and throwing it down onto people seated down on the field, and at the performers on the stage. Rudgren performed during the daylight hours and had a canopy over him to keep the sun off. The fireworks ignited it at one point and the concert had to be halted to put out the fire. When Clapton came on after dark, one of his backup singers received an eye injury from a firework that exploded in her face, and Clapton himself was dodging fireworks that were being tossed from the front row at him. At one point, he took off Blackie and had to be physically restrained from jumping into the audience and tussling with his tormentors. There were about 80 people taken to the hospital that night with fireworks injuries. I was embarrassed for Pittsburgh that night.

Hummmmm.... Fleetwood Mac playing a mosque.... that should have been your first clue.

Fireworks.... yep.... Went to a show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Back in the early 70's. Johnny Winters was the headline. The newly formed Foghat was the opener, followed by Poco. People on the second level were tossing firecrackers down on the first level seats. Foghat asked them to stop.... they didn't. Poco came out with their country sound and steel guitar.... the idiots in the crowd were throwing trash and the fireworks on the stage. Poco stopped in the third song, put their instruments down and walked off stage. The Emcee came out and blasted the arses who ruined the show by . JW came on a bit later and played a great show with his new guitarist...Rick Derringer.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200