Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have quite a few and was wondering the proper disposal of these little treasures in history?

Thanks,

Veteran
Veteran
Good question, Danny. For the HDs, you could either a) reformat them and use as extra storage, or, b) use a magnet to permanently damage the media and throw them away. For the DVDs, scratch them up real good and throw them into the trash.

Silly, but that's what I would do smile

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
Reformatting doesn't actually fully erase data in the sense that it can still be retrieved with effort and expense. In the case of a hard drive, they do make programs that do multiple levels of erase. Or, a 100% reliable method is to take an electric drill straight through the platters.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Reformatting doesn't actually fully erase data in the sense that it can still be retrieved with effort and expense. In the case of a hard drive, they do make programs that do multiple levels of erase. Or, a 100% reliable method is to take an electric drill straight through the platters.

I agree, Matt. I was just approaching it from the angle that reformatting would be okay if you yourself would want to keep the media as additional storage space.

The drill is best if you want to throw them away, of course smile

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Don't just throw them away. Take them to a electronic's recycling center. We have one 7 miles away in Brockport NY.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
A nine pound hammer. smile

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Mario. If you wish to dispose of them, do take them to a recycling center. Much better than ending up in landfill. And better for the environment too!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
old dvds make wonderful bird scarers for boats to stop them s***ing onboard and for garden ponds in the uk to deter herons from eating goldfish and carp. glue two together with the silver side facing out and string fishing line through the holes.

they also make wonderful platters for mixing up small amounts of epoxy resin filler or adhesive!

Last edited by Bob Calver; 03/31/19 11:54 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Here in Pensacola, we have a "regional roundup" as they call it about every couple of months, where you can bring in old electronics (and other hazmat material) for recycling. Perhaps your locality has something similar.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, the word 'disposal' was used by the O/P in the subject heading so I guess that's what the intention is.
Recycle is better than landfill, any day. Erase the disk first if necessary, but please at least allow the item be recycled instead of dumped.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
i tend to use old biab drives for data backup, even getting one drive out of the USB case and put it internally in a laptop as 2nd one ..

Veteran
Veteran
I reformat the drives and use them for storage too.

As far as CDs are concerned, I keep them way too long and eventually trash them. If they were recyclable I'd definitely do that.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Expert
Expert
When working we used to destroy hard disk drives. We often used a disk “nuking” program that formatted the drive then wrote to the entire drive (and went through the process several times). I also would give them a good hard whack with a heavy hammer for good measure.

If we had a heap of drives to be done we’d nuke them using a electro magnetic process. We’d insert a heap of hard disks turn on the machine which hummed and buzzed making a frightful din but the drives were destroyed.

The drives were then put into a recycle bin.

For CDs we had a simple shredder that basically put holes into the back of the disks making unreadable. The CD was then broken. Note: it is the “painted” surface you destroy. Some paper shredders have a CD facility. I have seen folk gouge the front of a CD but that does nothing, it is the shiny stuff you want gone. (At home some were left hanging in the garden to scare birds).

For floppy disks or tapes (if you still have any) if they have not been stored in a good dry place they’re probably rusted to death by now. You can use a nuking program on floppies.

These were my experiences get shy of unwanted data.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A good reason to support this thread:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=518330&Searchpage=1&Main=74692&Words=downloadable&Search=true#Post518330

Directly to the topic, I would reuse these for backups... Or if I am not mistaken, Staples and BestBuy used to have recycling program.

Veteran
Veteran
Say I have an old CD copy of a discontinued software product. What good will it do to shred it? As afar as I'm concerned, not worth the effort. Now if it has my personal financial data on it, or the data of any of my customers, it gets totally destroyed.

I would think that if you wanted to send one of the old BiaB hard drives to a recycling plant, using one of those apps that write pseudo-random ones and zeroes hundreds of times over would be sufficient.

I've used this when giving away old computers. I have an app called "Eraser" and I use the maximum security options.

https://eraser.heidi.ie/

It's open source, free, and has a very good reputation with PC trade magazines.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
One of my accounts is a electronic recycle biz and they have a wicked HDD shredder. I was given the demo of this beast and I mean it will flat shred a HDD. eek

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
If there isn't a recycling center near you, you can look up ones on the internet that will allow you to mail disks in from anywhere in the country.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sorry my reply and of course gratitude for all the helpful answers are so late but I had a computer crash seconds after I asked the question. So a very belated thank you for all the suggestions, especially the funny ones!

Just FYI when I could not find a Nine Pound Hammer I decided to use them for file backups.

Again thanks for all the great suggestions.

Later,

Journeyman
Journeyman
Back in the day I worked for some folks who were pretty up tight about their data.

99 times out of 100 they just took a dewalt drill to them.
That's about foolproof

The only thing that passed muster with them for re-using a drive was Dereks boot and Nuke
https://dban.org/

Though not 100% guaranteed it works in the practical world, especially if you're trying to keep stuff out of the landfill.

While those PG drives are relatively small, and spinning (vice ssd) they are not without use to some folks.

Perhaps We could send all our old ones back to PG music for Re-use?. I must have a half dozen of them.
Some might even pay the postage. Or perhaps Pg might pony up the postage.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
...Perhaps We could send all our old ones back to PG music for Re-use?.
Deryk helped me out once with a sent in drive for a particular reason; but he sent me an other one in exchange, probably as putting new data on an old drive is just to much work and time consuming. The good thing was i did not have to pay import taxes once again over already paid for the same RT's that way from earlier years.

But i would like to see some download system for the NEW (larger AP) data. Probably only do-able if you have a fast internet connection and a torrent sharing peer to peer thing running; can be risky towards PGmusic as hackers might join the fun ...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,605
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193