Options
Index
#531371 - 04/03/19 05:56 PM [User Showcase] Lullaby for Evelyn
Loc: Columbia, MO
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Lullaby for Evelyn

Over the holidays I was sitting watching our baby granddaughter, trying to entertain her with my guitar, and this little pattern picking ditty came out of my noodling. It had no words. I just called it "Evelyn's Song".

But a week or so later I did come up with some words.

A week or so ago I had a solo babysitting gig with Trenton (her big brother) and Evelyn and I got to sing her to sleep with this at bedtime, standing in their dimly lit living room, just rocking back and forth. So she's heard it. :-)

Took me a while to get around to putting it all together. For one thing, it's one thing to play a ditty on a guitar, it's another one to get it squared away and played in time so that we can add other instruments. Turns out you have to be, you know ... good -- to do stuff like that. So I had to get better at the ditty.

I did. And I figured maybe I ought to record it while she's still a baby. :-) The other two have grown grand kids have grown so fast.

Kind of leaving this one a bit plain and raw for intimacy's sake. It is heartfelt.

So me on the fingerpicking. I added a shaker, bass, and very VERY quiet piano. I edited the shaker/conga track and took out the congas. I just wanted shakers.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Lullaby for Evelyn
File:Lullaby for Evelyn.SGU

Style is _REMIND.STY (Reminds Me Folk Ballad)

RealTracks in style: ~~2478:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 2917:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryFolk8thsMike Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:ShakerEven8ths: a: Shaker b: ShakerEven8ths

Edited by Phil Leith (04/03/19 05:59 PM)

#531391 - 04/03/19 11:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: France
Chris37 Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: France
Hi Phil,
This a very nice lullaby with a hypnotic sweetness.
Simple but effective and touching.
Christian

#531458 - 04/04/19 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A very nice little lullaby for your granddaughter...
That's one of the nice things about the digital age...
We have tools to capture the images & sounds of our children as they grow up...
Mine often enjoy getting on my computer just to peruse the history & songs I've categorized throughout their lifetimes...
It was work but now they can go back to their birth & see what they were doing each month through the years...
And hear the songs I sung to them... like "A Your Adorable", "Baby Face", etc.

#531464 - 04/04/19 10:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Simple but effective lullaby, although I didn't fall asleep wink I could imagine this been played in a western movie at a campfire. Great playing and vocals. Good that you mentioned that piano is mixed very low, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

Janne

#531482 - 04/04/19 12:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey there Phil, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Very pretty sounding. Well done!

#531552 - 04/04/19 11:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Tangmo Offline
Journeyman

Extra fine lullaby quality. I liked how the simple melody repeated over different changes. Mix sounds very warm and intimate.
BIAB 2019 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#531555 - 04/05/19 12:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Nice work Phil. Also good work on the production. Rob

#531581 - 04/05/19 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Phil,

A really sweet lullaby. Well recorded - the vocal sounds terrific. And a nice mix.

Well done.

fj

#531584 - 04/05/19 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Hi Phil ...

Sweet is an often over-used word, but I think it applies in spades here. What a beautiful tune for her listen to when she's a bit older. Nice done - perfect mix. wishing you the best ...

Alan

PS: I was in your neighborhood on Tuesday and Wednesday - Jefferson City and Bloomfield. My former wife passed away and I had some legal matters to tend to.

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#531585 - 04/05/19 05:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Deleted - double post. Duh!!!

Edited by Al-David (04/05/19 05:51 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#531623 - 04/05/19 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Cool inspiration for the song. Nothing more special that watching your granddaughter grow up filled with special moments like this. Loved the song..

#531749 - 04/06/19 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Why thanks, everyone! Just wanted to share it. Yup, Lullabies are simple by their nature, and if they're not sweet, especially if you wrote it for your own children or grandchildren, you probably need to go get some help :-D

#531793 - 04/06/19 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This is such a cute lullaby! Thanks for sharing the story of its creation with us!

#532455 - 04/11/19 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a sweet tribute to your grand daughter smile A really lovely tune for sure. Nice and easy on the ears, and very pretty and delicate.

Thanks for sharing!

#532462 - 04/11/19 10:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
That is simply wonderful and something that can pass down through your family's generations.

We enjoyed everything about the production!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#532969 - 04/16/19 09:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW, beautifully done!! Nice sentiment, lovely music, and a GREAT vocal! Love this!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29901 Members
61 Forums
59289 Topics
500341 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Raunka, Trishmarcus7, joer, Carpo71, JIMJ

29901 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Icelander 142