Options
Index
#531371 - 04/03/19 05:56 PM [User Showcase] Lullaby for Evelyn
Loc: Columbia, MO
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Lullaby for Evelyn

Over the holidays I was sitting watching our baby granddaughter, trying to entertain her with my guitar, and this little pattern picking ditty came out of my noodling. It had no words. I just called it "Evelyn's Song".

But a week or so later I did come up with some words.

A week or so ago I had a solo babysitting gig with Trenton (her big brother) and Evelyn and I got to sing her to sleep with this at bedtime, standing in their dimly lit living room, just rocking back and forth. So she's heard it. :-)

Took me a while to get around to putting it all together. For one thing, it's one thing to play a ditty on a guitar, it's another one to get it squared away and played in time so that we can add other instruments. Turns out you have to be, you know ... good -- to do stuff like that. So I had to get better at the ditty.

I did. And I figured maybe I ought to record it while she's still a baby. :-) The other two have grown grand kids have grown so fast.

Kind of leaving this one a bit plain and raw for intimacy's sake. It is heartfelt.

So me on the fingerpicking. I added a shaker, bass, and very VERY quiet piano. I edited the shaker/conga track and took out the congas. I just wanted shakers.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Lullaby for Evelyn
File:Lullaby for Evelyn.SGU

Style is _REMIND.STY (Reminds Me Folk Ballad)

RealTracks in style: ~~2478:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 2917:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryFolk8thsMike Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:ShakerEven8ths: a: Shaker b: ShakerEven8ths

Edited by Phil Leith (04/03/19 05:59 PM)

#531391 - 04/03/19 11:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: France
Chris37 Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: France
Hi Phil,
This a very nice lullaby with a hypnotic sweetness.
Simple but effective and touching.
Christian

#531458 - 04/04/19 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A very nice little lullaby for your granddaughter...
That's one of the nice things about the digital age...
We have tools to capture the images & sounds of our children as they grow up...
Mine often enjoy getting on my computer just to peruse the history & songs I've categorized throughout their lifetimes...
It was work but now they can go back to their birth & see what they were doing each month through the years...
And hear the songs I sung to them... like "A Your Adorable", "Baby Face", etc.

#531464 - 04/04/19 10:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Simple but effective lullaby, although I didn't fall asleep wink I could imagine this been played in a western movie at a campfire. Great playing and vocals. Good that you mentioned that piano is mixed very low, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#531482 - 04/04/19 12:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey there Phil, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Very pretty sounding. Well done!

#531552 - 04/04/19 11:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Extra fine lullaby quality. I liked how the simple melody repeated over different changes. Mix sounds very warm and intimate.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#531555 - 04/05/19 12:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Nice work Phil. Also good work on the production. Rob

#531581 - 04/05/19 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Phil,

A really sweet lullaby. Well recorded - the vocal sounds terrific. And a nice mix.

Well done.

fj

#531584 - 04/05/19 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Hi Phil ...

Sweet is an often over-used word, but I think it applies in spades here. What a beautiful tune for her listen to when she's a bit older. Nice done - perfect mix. wishing you the best ...

Alan

PS: I was in your neighborhood on Tuesday and Wednesday - Jefferson City and Bloomfield. My former wife passed away and I had some legal matters to tend to.

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#531585 - 04/05/19 05:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Deleted - double post. Duh!!!

Edited by Al-David (04/05/19 05:51 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#531623 - 04/05/19 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Cool inspiration for the song. Nothing more special that watching your granddaughter grow up filled with special moments like this. Loved the song..

#531749 - 04/06/19 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Phil Leith Offline
Apprentice

Why thanks, everyone! Just wanted to share it. Yup, Lullabies are simple by their nature, and if they're not sweet, especially if you wrote it for your own children or grandchildren, you probably need to go get some help :-D

#531793 - 04/06/19 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This is such a cute lullaby! Thanks for sharing the story of its creation with us!

#532455 - 04/11/19 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What a sweet tribute to your grand daughter smile A really lovely tune for sure. Nice and easy on the ears, and very pretty and delicate.

Thanks for sharing!

#532462 - 04/11/19 10:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
That is simply wonderful and something that can pass down through your family's generations.

We enjoyed everything about the production!

J&B

#532969 - 04/16/19 09:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lullaby for Evelyn [Re: Phil Leith]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW, beautifully done!! Nice sentiment, lovely music, and a GREAT vocal! Love this!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Bar Settings

In Band-in-a-Box®, F5 or Edit | Settings for Current Bar will open up a new window allowing you to adjust the number of beats per bar, apply tempo changes and patch changes, or apply a different Style, and even choose harmony changes to your Band-in-a-Box® song!

Watch the video that explains this feature.

Read more about Bar Settings: Windows | Mac

A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac

In May 2009, we released Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac to the world, unleashing automatic REAL accompaniment to the MacIntel community!

This highly anticipated release brought with it RealTracks, RealDrums, the Audio Chord Wizard, Audio Rendering, MultiStyles, an updated GUI, and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2009 Introduction Video for a blast-from-the-past! Watch video...
(This is an easy-to-follow explanation of RealTracks & RealDrums that even a seasoned user will enjoy!)

We had also made a video highlighting the advanced features released with Version 2009: Watch now

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Forum Stats
33072 Members
68 Forums
66619 Topics
566828 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
chiefegod, guapeton, scrocco, semolinapilchard, ghyslain