Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#531424 04/04/19 03:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On A Dime

We often mention how much we like open airy mixes based on a small number of tracks…well please allow us to completely contradict ourselves grin This mix is an attempt to be somewhat “in your face” but not smashed against the ceiling. And the track number counting all the bits totaled 14 which way exceeds my comfort zone. It’s somewhat a departure for us but it was fun and we hope you also find some fun in it. And, yeah, yet another 12 bar silly ditty from Bud for Janice and Peter to riff on!

Thanks to Peter for the guitars and joining in on the arrangement. And a shoutout to HearToLearn for steering me to the snare sample. Additional thanks to friends for preview comments and as always to PG Music. Oops, and Bud thanks Janice for the photo.

We appreciate your time to listen and comments are always welcome.

Janice: arrangement, lead and background vocals / Rode NT1 > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro X / Nectar 2
Peter: solo guitar/rhythm guitar tracks, arrangement and mix
Bud: arrangement, mix and mastering

Bass: RT 1012: BluesRock / Waves CLA Bass Rider / Waves CLA Bass

Piano RT 1591: BluesRock / Neutron 2 / EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim
(comped from multiple regens)

Rhythm Guitar RT 1585: TexasBluesRockShuffle

Drum Kit: RD BluesRockShuffle / Waves CLA Drums

Snare: Ludwig 600 sample / Neutron 2 eq module / Waves CLA Drums

Additional drum bits (kick and cymbal) tracks: Waves CLA Drums

Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic Channel EQ > Waves LinMB > Ozone 8 Imager/Limiter > Izotope Tonal Balance

© 2019 B. Merritt / J. Merritt / P. Fulham

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Great!!! Love the count off and intro... Another tremendous performance by Janice with some really cool layers of background vocals.

The mix is BIG and CRISP - really fills up the room!

Peter is smoking hot on guitar here...

Just an awesome production - Loved it!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome!

like a tank driving thru a solid wall...unstoppable

Peter, I hear some SRV influence, sounds great

super mix, perfect vocals

a nice uplifting experience, love the answering vocals

it rocks!

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
More comments will follow in the next few days. I'm normally not comfortable commenting on mixing (specifically EQ) as it's not a strong point of mine. Right now, I would be REALLY uncomfortable with that being my ears still have that "I just stepped off a plane" muffled, and popping feel to them from a cold.

That being said, there are some things I can definitely comment on...and one that might surprise you (he said baiting them to read on. wink

The problem I see is when I see those three names I always have both high and low expectations. The high expectations come as the result of your previous songs. This can be great; but I feel it's unrealistic to think someone can necessarily maintain that level of writing, performance, and production. SO...I lower my expectations to be fair. I guess I still don't need to do that though AGAIN, you hit the high bar. I don't get it. There are a few people on this forum that continuously do that; and you are 3 of them...on one song! You're not playing fair. smile

Writing-obviously perfect for the style. It's say so much by knowing what not to say. That's leaves only what needs to be said. That is the heart of this music.

Performance-perfection for the style. It's shows talent and restraint, with a very nice nod to "I could do a lot more; but the song doesn't call for it. So these are what I choose." And they are RIGHT ON! Great choice of RB's, the vocals are memorizing, and the guitar is to die for. All of it is sooooo good!

Arrangement-Well, it's like you know what your doing.! It's not 3 bar blues or anything. lol wink

Production-Again, not commenting on EQ; but the rest of it sounds really good from what I can tell. I'm not sure if I'm hearing distortion or not. It's bothersome for me not to know; but maybe someone else could fill us in. Using that number of tracks can be daunting but everything fits really well without bumping into each other. NOT easy! I really like how you made everything fit so well. VERY convincing.

"The snare"-special mention here of the snare. I think it really defined the 2 and 4 very well AND didn't seem like it was "just added." It sounds like it fits right in to me. Well done!

The Unexpected-I actually really like what you did for the photo for the song! What a cool picture! Coordinating the jeans and the text color with the black and white photo looks fantastic. If you wanted to make the text pop a bit more you could add a drop shadow or stroke...but I would keep it subtle if you do. Anyway, something about that color combination works really well; and seems to be a great a visual representation for the song and style. Are those blues jeans Janice is wearing? There may be a song in there somewhere. smile

Here is my thought for your next song. To level the playing field; I vote for you next song Janice plays all of the instruments (a minimum of 5...so you don't pull a "she's on spoons"), can't use BIAB, and you two boys have to sing it! Thoughts?

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Great!!! Love the count off and intro... Another tremendous performance by Janice with some really cool layers of background vocals.

Bob

Bob, we couldn't ask for a better review. You mentioned all of our objectives and we much appreciate it!

J&B

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi there J&B + Peter.

Loved the whole thing from the count-in to the fabulous over-the-top ending.

That band is really flying and the mix is superb up LOUD on my monitors.

Well, Janice just excels at this stuff, so no surprise that she produces another
faultless, emotive and spirited vocal.

Peter's guitar work is fabulous - imaginative and exciting whilst still being in control.

Bud - your mixing is now as professional as Janice's singing! What better complement could I offer?

Great stuff, team.

ROG.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Fabulous... simply fabulous...
I really look forward to hearing your collaborations...
Wow!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Awesome!

it rocks!

Kenny

That description alone is worth the time that went into this! As a rock guy we even more appreciate your comments. Thank you...a lot.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really hot stuff, great rocking rhythm and powerful vocals. And what a solo, I can smell the guitar strings burning across the ocean smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nice work JB, I admired the overall vibe on this. This is beautiful and rhythm is easy to follow. The guitar is crunchy! Keep it up!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You all are hard to keep up with! You present something here about once a month on average I guess, and one thing I know for sure is that it is always going to be top level stuff!! From the guitar work to the mixing and especially the vocals! I know you could be throwing something out there every couple days if you wanted to, but I appreciate the fact that you take the time to get it right every time!!! I admire and respect you people more than you know! You along with Floyd and Tom along with a couple more set the standard for this forum and you have many fans out here!!! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 04/04/19 10:59 AM.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Janice & Bud & Peter....

I can only echo what others have said.
Good stuff....and the kind of music/tempo that I tend to write and lean toward.

Not a genre I expected from you two and it was a pleasant surprise. smile
Well done in all aspects.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/04/19 08:26 PM.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
"In your face" is a great way to describe this song, and I mean that in the best way possible! It's really well balanced so that even though it's a very powerful song that it's not so overpowering that it's overwhelming. Really great job! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice groove you guys. Enjoyed this a lot. Some great guitar work. Thanks for posting. Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The song sizzles so much, the frying pan doesn't need any fire. I enjoyed this much. Keep cranking out these great ones!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice&Bud + Peter. Great collaboration!
More of that "discomfort" zone and contradictions please!
Bud, will rephrase your previous Moto: Do not stay plain, it's a trap!

Really cool stuff, feels like being in a live joint. Everything sounds wholesome, like delicious loaf of bread from the oven.

Probably a matter of taste, but I would prefer solo guitar parts to stand out more. To me, feels a bit "even" in mix. (Please do not hate me for this comment smile )

Congrats to all of you!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
More comments will follow in the next few days. I'm normally not comfortable commenting on mixing (specifically EQ) as it's not a strong point of mine. Right now, I would be REALLY uncomfortable with that being my ears still have that "I just stepped off a plane" muffled, and popping feel to them from a cold.

That being said, there are some things I can definitely comment on...and one that might surprise you (he said baiting them to read on. wink

The problem I see is when I see those three names I always have both high and low expectations. The high expectations come as the result of your previous songs. This can be great; but I feel it's unrealistic to think someone can necessarily maintain that level of writing, performance, and production. SO...I lower my expectations to be fair. I guess I still don't need to do that though AGAIN, you hit the high bar. I don't get it. There are a few people on this forum that continuously do that; and you are 3 of them...on one song! You're not playing fair. smile

Writing-obviously perfect for the style. It's say so much by knowing what not to say. That's leaves only what needs to be said. That is the heart of this music.

Performance-perfection for the style. It's shows talent and restraint, with a very nice nod to "I could do a lot more; but the song doesn't call for it. So these are what I choose." And they are RIGHT ON! Great choice of RB's, the vocals are memorizing, and the guitar is to die for. All of it is sooooo good!

Arrangement-Well, it's like you know what your doing.! It's not 3 bar blues or anything. lol wink

Production-Again, not commenting on EQ; but the rest of it sounds really good from what I can tell. I'm not sure if I'm hearing distortion or not. It's bothersome for me not to know; but maybe someone else could fill us in. Using that number of tracks can be daunting but everything fits really well without bumping into each other. NOT easy! I really like how you made everything fit so well. VERY convincing.

"The snare"-special mention here of the snare. I think it really defined the 2 and 4 very well AND didn't seem like it was "just added." It sounds like it fits right in to me. Well done!

The Unexpected-I actually really like what you did for the photo for the song! What a cool picture! Coordinating the jeans and the text color with the black and white photo looks fantastic. If you wanted to make the text pop a bit more you could add a drop shadow or stroke...but I would keep it subtle if you do. Anyway, something about that color combination works really well; and seems to be a great a visual representation for the song and style. Are those blues jeans Janice is wearing? There may be a song in there somewhere. smile

Here is my thought for your next song. To level the playing field; I vote for you next song Janice plays all of the instruments (a minimum of 5...so you don't pull a "she's on spoons"), can't use BIAB, and you two boys have to sing it! Thoughts?

We are overwhelmed that you would take that much time and thought to respond to our song. It was a labor of love, fun and learning...and reading your comments make it exponentially even more worthwhile.

As mentioned in the post thank you so much for the snare advice and for directing me to that on-line source. You saying, from a drummer's perspective, that the snare did not sound "just added" has given me a LOT of encouragement to continue my quest to learn more about drums. And as a LONG time bluegrass picker that is a position I never thought I'd be in!

Regarding your nice comments on the mix, after receiving some excellent advice and counsel on it, I afterwards struggled with the mastering -- trying to get it as Kenny described in his post but without going over the top. I finally tweaked Waves multi-band compressor to a point that I felt reasonably comfortable with it.

And, hey, yet another thanks for mentioning the photo of Janice. That was taken at our fav B&B last year. I'll try your font suggestions!

We hugely appreciate your support.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Yeah, this is BIG. Sounds like a song to close out a big concert show with everybody on stage. Loved the listen.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Bob

Thanks Bob - needed to play some hot guitar to keep up with the smoking hot vocal.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Awesome!

it rocks!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny a tip of the hat to Stevie, and the 7#9 chord before the turnaround certainly gives the progression the SRV feel.
Appreciate the comments and feedback.

Peter

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195