Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi all
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
There does not seem to be any integration with control surfaces for midi.
Even for using simple midi learn or choice of controller for say standard midi controllers for mixing like cntr 7 vol, 10 pan, and the mute and solo buttons.
It would be nice to have hands on hardware for even the basic mixer track functions in BIAB when using midi styles, and melody and soloist.
Many of us have midi controller keyboards that do a lot more than send midi note data
My own has 8 sliders, 8 buttons for mute, and solo, 8 programmable rotary continuous controllers, and 8 drum pads. Then you can have multiple pages of each .
Auto map compatibility would be nice but mid learn would be fine.
Can’t understand why we don’t have it. Or have I missed something?

Mike
48 key version shown I have the 61 same functions.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
nov inp 61.jpg (108.02 KB, 306 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 04/05/19 05:48 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike.

I started asking for this more than 15 years ago for my Tascam FW-1884. I now use a Behringer X-Touch. Neither works with BIAB.

The important request here is that BIAB should support the Mackie Control protocol; then all of these devices could work.

Note there is support for the old Frontier Design Tranzport (or at least there was; I haven’t checked in BIAB 2019 64-bit). This was something of a MIDI control surface as far as transport control. Pretty neat, actually. But not what you want.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Of course the Frontier Tranzport is no longer sold, so unless you have a legacy version, that BIAB capability is pretty much OBE.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Originally Posted By: jford
Of course the Frontier Tranzport is no longer sold, so unless you have a legacy version, that BIAB capability is pretty much OBE.

Did this device connect with midi connections or usb?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
USB. There was a remote transmitter with about a 30-foot range on a short cord that plugs in to USB. [The only connection point on the unit itself is for an optional 1/4" footswitch.]

The software hasn't been updated since 2010 or so, and it was only 32-bit at that time. That indeed makes it OBE (Order of the British Empire?).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks. I was curious as the Tascam DP-24 (the first generation model with midi ports and CD) had some elementary midi control capability and it had me wondering if it was possible it may work with BIAB through a midi connection.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Just in case there is any confusion, OBE = Overcome By Events

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
I think I just had an out of body experience.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
That indeed makes it OBE (Order of the British Empire?).

For EU inhabitants: Our Brexit Experience ...

Veteran
Veteran
I still have a Tranzport and it's so basic and limited as to be useless to me.

In addition to many requests over the years for this I would add touch screen control to that. Hey, they finally did 64 bit so maybe a hardware controller interface and touch control could be coming too. Anything to make Biab not seem like it's an antiquated 30 year old piece of software would be good. It's not like these things are something new in the digital audio world...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Now that over 2 years have passed and we now have a lot more tracks available, have things changed? Is there some integration now with standards like Mackie ot HUI control interfaces?

“Musicians”: UltraPak 2024
DAW: StudioOne Pro 6.5
"Instruments": VSTs and REs
Notation: Notion 6
Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
Mic: RØDE NT1-A
Controller: Panorama P6/KAWAI VPC1/Atom
Veteran
Veteran
I still have a Tranzport also, but haven't used it with BIAB in many years. A decade or more. It was really only a start/stop remote.

Uncle Paul, no, BIAB 2022 has not changed to permit this. A few of us did have a discussion with the developers and I raised this directly. We did get an acknowledgement to revisit the Tranzport code and see if it might be adapted for the Mackie standard. I have a Presonus Faderport 8 and it would be amazing to use that in the BIAB mixer!

Note that BIAB 2022 did introduce the volume automation concept and that is a precursor to having a Mackie-type MIDI control surface work, so I take that a a hopeful sign. No promises, of course.

Expert
Expert
I have been looking into Bome MIDI Translator as something to process BIAB MIDI output, but it could be used to process control surface input.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/05/22 07:57 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, that Bome MIDI Translator takes me way back. For awhile, it was popularly used for controlling SONAR. I'm pleased to see it is still being updated. I took it off my PC when I stopped using SONAR.

Veteran
Veteran
Feel free to discuss or support +++ this year's request +++ in the wishlist forum.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Feel free to discuss or support +++ this year's request +++ in the wishlist forum.

This topic has revived with the above latest 'wish' posted with no elaboration to any pro's to substantiate anything other than it being a 'wish'. It's better to discuss it here rather than interfere with the wish itself.

I need more information before I can support the wish so far. From the perspective of how most users complete a song, and with the primary use a generated BIAB track has in a song project, there's very little benefit or advantage that a control surface adds to the development of a BIAB track.

For instance. "Now that over 2 years have passed and we now have a lot more tracks available, have things changed? Is there some integration now with standards like Mackie ot HUI control interfaces?"

OK. Let's the discuss the benefits. We now have single channel volume automation. Why do we need an 8 channel X-Touch?
It still makes more sense to me to export a BIAB track flat, centered and dry to a DAW that can use all of the features and tools of the X=Touch rather than start/stop of an expensive device.

My impression from posts in the BIAB Forum is BIAB tracks are overwhelmingly edited and completed in DAW's. That makes sense and down grades midi controllers usefulness to generating tracks because most discussions present a DAW is the better choice.

It seems that BIAB is better suited and used primarily as a tracking tool rather than a mixing tool. Most discussions I've read treat BIAB's one track at a time process as rudimentary, crude and outdated in comparison to the modern DAW.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/30/22 02:22 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Charlie!

Keep BiaB as a backing track generator, sometimes with melodies, solos, and harmonies, and do your heavier work in a DAW.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
While I agree this function is better for most users in a DAW, let me make a case for adding it into BIAB.

1. BIAB used to support this concept with the Frontier Design Tranzport
2. BIAB 2022 has already added better control of volume curves
3. BIAB has already added many more tracks
4. Providing fader control of those volume curves is the natural next step

For anyone who may not know what we're talking about, with a MIDI Control Surface, you set the track(s) you want to record levels on (arming the track for automation) and then, as the track(s) play back, you ride the fader control(s) to adjust the volume. Once your volume curve(s) are recorded, the song will now play back with the adjustments of levels you have added. Any good commercial DAW can do this.

However:

I'm a composer and arranger, and I do orchestration. I am constantly tweaking my songs, so I don't do much post-production (what is best done in a DAW to produce a radio-ready mix). I just make composer demos that the bands I play in can learn from before we perform the music live. It's very likely that, after a rehearsal, I come back to the song to make adjustments. So, I want to stay in BIAB as long as possible. I have the audiophile version because I am more inspired by having the best sound available as I compose. The natural next step is to be able to use faders and automate the volume curves so I hear all the tracks in my songs as I want them, while I am still composing them.

OK, so the way I use BIAB maybe doesn't apply to a large number of people. I get that. And I'm no fan of feature creep. But if BIAB users had a MIDI Control Surface and could easily do volume automation, I'll bet they would find it very useful, even essential. The Mackie Control standard would be sufficient; all the popular brands can emulate that. You'll see in my signature I use a Presonus Faderport 8. For BIAB, it just sits there unused.

Thanks for listening.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
presonus-faderport_8-top02_big.jpg (533.2 KB, 4 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
The changes PG Music made in 2022 indicate that PG Music is trying to provide the tools a user need to keep a project "inside the Band-in-a-Box" for as long as possible. It is with that spirit in mind that I make the request.

Each track of the Band-in-a-Box audio mixer has controls for volume, panning, built-in reverb and tone. Some of each track's controls are more accessible than others. In particular, track tone controls are almost inaccessible to the point many users do not even realize the tone controls exist.

The main reason I like to use a surface control is because with physical controls I can concentrate on what I'm hearing, not on what I see. Try closing your eyes and use the computer mouse to change the panning of a track.

I see surface control as both adding value to the product and satisfying customers that want to use the feature.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Matt and Jim. I'm familiar with Control Devices and own or have owned several different brands and models of controllers and used others in live environments. If control surface capability is added to BIAB, I'll certainly embrace and use it. My earlier comments were made to learn more about how users will integrate into their workflow. As stated, what seems to be the current preferred method is to mix, edit, pan and level tracks in a DAW. It also appears controllers have limited appeal and benefit to BIAB from past experience and the lack of discussion and participation in the BIAB forums.

I agree with both Matt and Jim there's advantages to remain in BIAB as long as possible and in fact I complete my projects, those for fun and any serious project, solely in BIAB since around 2017 as far as I can determine. The reason I can do this is mostly my use of the Audio Editor, RealTrack Medley Maker, the Audio Track and the Artist Performance Track feature. The perception that BIAB was once limited to Seven Tracks and an Audio Track has never been a limitation or a barrier to publish songs consisting of dozens of instruments.

With these tools I can output a finished stereo mix indistinguishable from a DAW project and have as many instruments I want to include in my song, automate volume levels, panning and create professional grade smooth transitions, cross fades, fade in, fade out all with quality FX's like reverb, compression and eq.

My familiarity with both BIAB's advanced editing and mixing techniques and Midi Controllers make me lean toward the better work flow is to continue with BIAB for track generation and external DAWs and controllers to mix and automate these tracks.

In regard to Matt's tweaking, if it's limited to volume, panning, Fx, or EQ adjustments, there's no need to return from the DAW to BIAB for that task. If a track needs tweaking with multi riff or regeneration or even replacing an instrument or regenerating an entire song due to changing tempo, key signature , style or chord progression, there's no need for a midi controller. He has a controller and likely it would be convenient to his well established workflow but I don't know how that translates to the broader BIAB user base.

In regard to Jim's main purpose for a controller to pan a track with his eyes closed, I explained to him how to that in BIAB... wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200