Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
How can I get horn parts from a .mid file to sound more human? All of the horns starting and stopping exactly together, with no change in dynamics, etc., makes them sound like a keyboard part. Surely there is a way to randomize the enterances and exits by a few midi clicks from each other, and set a decrescendo/crescendo to work on long notes to sound like a section.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Funkifized
How can I get horn parts from a .mid file to sound more human? All of the horns starting and stopping exactly together, with no change in dynamics, etc., makes them sound like a keyboard part. Surely there is a way to randomize the enterances and exits by a few midi clicks from each other, and set a decrescendo/crescendo to work on long notes to sound like a section.

Oh, abso-frikkin'-lutely it can do this!

The breadth of sophisticated options you have in this regard are dizzying. Check out the section titled something like "Intelligent Humanize of Melody/Soloist Track" under Chapter 10 (Working with MIDI).

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Take a look at pages 97 through 101 of the 2019 RealBand User Manual for a very good overview of RealBand's MIDI editing tools with descriptions about how to use each one.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Except I'm not trying to humanize the melody in BIAB, I'm trying to humanize horn parts in a midi file in RealBand. I'm not seeing anything that's helpful in this regard.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing you are. I don't see anything that is helpful at all in this regard. One problem is the horns are all on the same track. I don't know if they can be randomized in contrast to each other unless they're on different tracks. The manual is no help with this stuff.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Except I'm not trying to humanize the melody in BIAB, I'm trying to humanize horn parts in a midi file in RealBand. I'm not seeing anything that's helpful in this regard.

Here are a few suggestions:

1-have each horn on a separate track

2-nunge each track either slightly forward or backward. Do not move them so much that they are not in sync. Make them sound more like a chorusing effect.

3-for woodwinds add a little up pitch bend at the start of a few notes. Start the pitch bends a little lower and then bring them to pitch. Vary the depth and ending points of each woodwind track. Occasionally do the same for the horns.

4-add a little vibrato to some tracks. You can do this via the pitch wheel but some sound sources allow you to do this with the mod wheel.

5-add some volume changes to each track. Add crescendos and decrescendos where appropriate.

Some sound sources have individual horn/woodwind nuances assigned to specific notes.

Also how are you inputting these tracks? If by keyboard a breath controller is perfect for adding volume changes. I use an Akai EWI-USB wind controller. This way I can control the volume and pitch bends simultaneously.

I will gladly help you in any way that I can. Just PM me as I rarely view the threads here.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing you are. I don't see anything that is helpful at all in this regard. One problem is the horns are all on the same track. I don't know if they can be randomized in contrast to each other unless they're on different tracks. The manual is no help with this stuff.

Huh?

Maybe we need to revisit your original question
Quote:
How can I get horn parts from a .mid file to sound more human?
The tools to edit MIDI tracks are described on pages 96 to 101 in the 2019 RealBand user manual.

While RealBand does have a MIDI event list editor (see screen shot) it is limited as compared to the MIDI event list editor in Band-in-a-Box. In BiaB you can filter by channel and then copy and paste each channel to an unused track in RealBand.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (164.35 KB, 88 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If your horn parts are just a stacked chord on the same MIDI channel on the same track assigned to some brass instrument patch, then yes, you are going to have a lot of difficulty getting it to sound good.

As already stated, you need to separate out each of the parts into their own tracks and using separate MIDI channels (at least for synths that respond to specific channels).

Then you can start making changes on an instrument-by-instrument basis.

One thing you can try is to save the chorded horn part out to a MIDI file, then bring that file into a notation program that supports splitting out the parts from a chord. As I recall, Finale does this (but it's very expensive); however, I think I saw that MuseScore might do this as well (but have never tried it - a Google search seemed to say that it could). That way, you can get the parts separated into different tracks/channels. Bring it back into RealBand, assign your instruments, and make the changes as suggested here. It takes a lot of work, but the result should be worth it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don't use RB so I have to ask this question.
Does RB allow you to separate a MIDI track by notes? If so he then can assemble a track with what he thinks are the trumpet notes, sax notes, trumpet #2 notes etc. This technique is one that I use to separate drum kits.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I don't see anything on p. 96-101 that talks about changing the attack of notes, nor changing the dynamics, especially in parallel with other notes.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
One way dynamics can be (crudely) limited is using the Data Filter.
You can set a MIN/MAX setting for the velocity of a MIDI track based on a given channel and note range.

The Data Filter is powerful if you can use it.
Most Edit windows offer the option to enable the Data Filter using a check box .. and a secondary one if needed.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have Finale. I've got the woodwinds separated into separate tracks into RealBand. There must be some way to randomize the attacks of each instrument, no? And apply a template type of dynamic change to long notes played by the horn section?

These were entered from a .mid file that I didn't initiate.

Last edited by Funkifized; 04/08/19 04:01 PM.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
This may or may not work. You could load each MIDI track into BIAB (instead of RealBand), and then use the embellisher feature to humanize each one, save it back to MIDI (use a different file name so you don't lose your original source in case you have to do it again), and then bring it back into RealBand. A little extra work, but it might do what you are looking for.

Other than that, you'll just need to probably bring up the piano roll editor on each track and slightly offset start/stop times for notes, as well as adjust velocity and/or volume accordingly.

For what it's worth, I also made a feature request to add the embellisher feature to RealBand, but I suspect it will be quite a while before we would see it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Funkifized your problem is you have a bad midi file. You're trying to put gold sparkled lipstick on that pig. Go to any one of the good commercial midi file sites and buy a proper file for five or six bucks. It's all about how the file was created. Good ones have all that built in.

If you insist on trying to fix it then RB is the wrong DAW for this. Other DAW's do have a built in humanizing utility with presets. RB will allow you to do it but it'a all manual labor done track by track and note by note.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well, the idea was to do my own file in RB, not have to buy .mid files from others.

And I'm not even seeing any way of doing this note-by-note. How does one edit .mid information in RB?

Last edited by Funkifized; 04/19/19 08:01 AM.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Aren't we supposed to be able to create and/or edit midi files in Real Band? It's a sequencer, no?

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm not seeing any such overview of midi editing tools.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Check the piano roll view (PRV), notation and/or the event list. All three will let you edit MIDI.

PS - I do not use RB so others will have to help you further. I know in my DAW, Studio One Pro 4, I use the PRV for virtually all of my MIDI editing. YMMV

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
You can edit in Notation or Piano Roll.

A few notes of caution about this.

1. Be absolutely sure you have all the chords, part markers and bar settings the way you want them before you start editing. Also, tempo and number of measures. In Song Settings, uncheck the box Create 2 Bar Ending. If you change any of these, your edits are gone.

2. Be sure you unfreeze the track you want to edit.

3. Freeze that track after you edit.

4. Keep all other tracks frozen.

5. Save the file. OFTEN.

I learned this the hard way, so take it from a fool who knows.

If you do these things, it isn't hard. Good luck.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If you want old school MIDI event editing, indeed use the Event List.
If you want finer control over what you are editing, enable the Data Filter when doing MIDI edits.

As mentioned the Notation and Piano Roll windows also offer editing options.
Yes, RB is a sequencer.
As such, even Audio tracks appear to be initially triggered by MIDI events in the Event List.

That's one reason I often suggest setting the Resolution as high as your system can handle reliably; more accurate Audio editing by virtue of smaller slices allowed in the Selection/Edit/Move options.

For some this may be no big deal, but here it is well worth taking advantage of when working with Audio .. with MIDI maybe not so much, but still technically allows more accurate edits. You can trigger a MIDI event with 1/3480 accuracy per beat as opposed to the 1/120 accuracy RB defaults to (and I think BiaB forces you to use).

Event List for Audio track and MIDI track shown below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
AudioEventList.jpg (26.94 KB, 35 downloads)
MIDIEventList.jpg (53.13 KB, 35 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 04/20/19 06:48 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195