Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
HI ALL
I can’t think of a better place to ask this question as I know many of you will have strong views on this.
What is the difference between real country music and modern country music and where does it merge.
Is it dependent on the instruments used or the lyrics, style of music.
Would I be right in thinking that Hank Williams , Hank Snow, George Straits, George Jones, Alan Jackson, Patsy Cline, etc are what you would call Real country
So what is modern country example ?
And where do you put folks like Slim Witman.
Sure this will bring forth a host of opinion.
Look forward to your thoughts even controversial ones.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I think more than anything else that it's just perspective and personal opinion. I wouldn't say modern country is any less real. I would say, at least in my opinion, it's more accurate to say traditional country versus modern country. I think what makes something more "traditional" is country that follows the classic stereotypes, where modern can have some of those traditional elements but still plays around and experiments a little bit and brings in something new or unexpected.

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 04/06/19 08:06 AM.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
I really don't have personal answers for this discussion...
But I'll be curious enough to check back to see where folk place Slim Whitman in this discussion wink
He had a unique & not unpleasant voice but I wouldn't know what category to place him.

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Many of us in the forum are old enough to remember when the Opry banned drums from stage because they weren’t “country”. Flat and Scruggs broke up in part because Scruggs wanted to introduce electric bass into their music and Lester thought that wouldn’t be Real bluegrass. I think I’ll leave this dog lie.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Many of us in the forum are old enough to remember when the Opry banned drums from stage because they weren’t “country”. Flat and Scruggs broke up in part because Scruggs wanted to introduce electric bass into their music and Lester thought that would be Real bluegrass. I think I’ll leave this dog lie.

Keith,

You may be interested to learn that Randy Mason, Brent's brother, is the house drummer at Ryman Auditorium, home of the Grand Ole Opry.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The responses to your question should be interesting reading. First do you mean live or recorded music? My answer is geared toward recorded music because it's the recording publicity people and media programmers that stick genre names on not just recordings but also the artists and entertainers. Those decisions determine how artists and their recordings are marketed.

To me it's song arrangement, instrumentation, how tracks are recorded and how a recording is mixed and mastered as much or more than the song or artist. (Note: for this conversation I'm treating vocalists as instruments. A good vocalist will adapt and embellish to fit into the song production.) Modern artists can and do record real country but it sounds different than the recordings of decades ago. However, many real country artists have released modern country material without success since they have a difficult time developing a feel for the songs, arrangements and production. Even when they do succeed many times the listening audience is not accepting of the change.

Real country music, versus classic country music, has its roots in genres now called Old Timey, Bluegrass, Blues, Ragtime, Rockabilly, Hawaiian, Western Swing, and Folk. Current country music adds elements of Rock, Pop, Rap, Funk and Hip Hop into the mix.

Genre labels can be very loose as numerous examples demonstrate. Classic country artists Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash are in both the Country Music and Rock & Roll halls of fame. The Charlie Daniels Band is enshrined in the Country Music Hall of Fame. Singer/Entertainer Charlie Rich burned the card announcing John Denver as Country Entertainer of the Year on an award show broadcast on live television. Charlie Rich believed John Denver was a pop artist, not country.

Four good examples to listen to as a positive demonstration of production changing everything are the artists Don Williams, Conway Twitty, Johnny Horton and Jim Reeves. (Interesting non related side note, did you know heart throb singer Michael Bolton began his career as the lead singer of a heavy metal band?) Each of these singers re-recorded songs they recorded early in their career and it's the re-recorded version that is more well known.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
[
Keith,

You may be interested to learn that Randy Mason, Brent's brother, is the house drummer at Ryman Auditorium, home of the Grand Ole Opry.

I didn’t know that Don. As much as there has been resistance in some parts of Nashville to change in the genre, what makes money and what the artists want to play is what determines what is heard. I can’t tell you how many times I introduced more modern country songs into my act and heard my wife call out “Stop playing that Heavy Metal” while I was practicing.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
It is all "real".

For a good understanding of what "Modern" country is just look at pop/rock from 10-20 years ago and add a country twang to the vocals.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
It is all "real".

For a good understanding of what "Modern" country is just look at pop/rock from 10-20 years ago and add a country twang to the vocals.

So true, John 3x.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How long is a string?

I think Ember summed it up well.

Country Music has gone through so many evolutions and revolutions that to put a demarcation between the end of one style and the beginning of another is IMO hardly possible. Plus the question is a bit loaded as it implies that modern country is not “real.” Were one to actually define real I think whatever the definition one would find elements of it in today’s country and Americana. Maybe not topping the charts but available if you look.

Bud

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: KeithS
[quote=Don Gaynor][
Keith,
I can’t tell you how many times I introduced more modern country songs into my act and heard my wife call out “Stop playing that Heavy Metal” while I was practicing.

Traditional country, hill music, was transformed by AM radio,
Grand Old Oprey, (the Mecca,) the record business, in that order, incrementally. Rock and Roll, Rockabilly, and Southern Rock in the 60's, becoming more bluesy and daring both in subject matter and performers public personas. I think modern entered the picture first as crossover then as a genre directed at broadening the audience. That was about 1) sales and 2) the shrinking world.
Just a casual and impartial observer, speaking.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t know a single thing about this genre (came to be educated) so I don’t have anything to offer except a joke I remember hearing. In traditional country, your wife and dog leave you. In modern country, your dog comes back.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
How long is a string?

I thought How Long was a Chinaman grin grin

(Sorry, now back to the main program...)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi all

Well some interesting replies
Mind you I often wondered how those cowboys rode a horse and played a Guitar and sang at the same time!
I guess for me I am a bit stuck in shall we say older country music and artist that I grew up with some even on a wind up gramophone.
Chet Atkins, Hank Snow, Patsy Cline, and others that I mentioned earlier.
Then later say Jim Reeves, Dolly Parton. Kenny Rogers, and so on.
I can see that it has evolved along the way from Blue grass, Honky-tonk and what I loosely term cowboy ballads.
With many crossovers along the path, artist as well like Taylor Swift.

Some one once said to me that country music was all lying dyeing, cheating and crying,
Full of lost lovers dead or lame horses or dogs all in all a miserable lot.
Oh and don’t forget the railroad and trains.
There is a whole lot of good stuff out there, that’s for sure for any taste,
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have to say this is easily one of the most respectful conversations around this topic I've seen (here or elsewhere).

There is a lot I could say here; but there are hints of what I would say in much of what has already been said; some in previous posts on the forum as well.

I think Floyd sums it up pretty well when saying more traditional country is all about the story. Modern country is more like a slogan based style of music.

I very specifically said "modern" and not "current" when saying that. There are actually many more traditional country songs that are currently being made. They may not get as much radio play; but some of them do. I guess it's what you look for.

From what I've seen; many times when comparing the two time frames of music; they compare extremes. They will take some that is REALLY traditional and compare it to something that is VERY pop country. Very seldom will they take a traditional country song from years back and compare it to a traditional country song of today. They also seem to forget some of pop country form "back in the day." I've never figured out why people do that.

Usually in this discussion someone posts the video of how "all" current country sounds the same. Unfortunately they used pitch and time alterations to make that happen. People who don't normally listen to that style use it as "proof" of how it all sounds the same. I truly believe you could pick pretty much any period of time, do the same thing they did, and make a similar point. I'm not arguing that it doesn't sound similar...but that's what genres are. lol

Speaking of genres; I would say countries current state is pretty diverse. Bud on the forums described Americana as "One Big Tent" with many sub-genres within that tent. I would agree. I also think that applies to rock music and country. There's just a lot going on in music right now.

This subject couldn't be more timely for me. I was driving this morning and had on, at least I thought I did, a local country radio station. I heard a little bit older song I like; but wasn't really paying attention either...until the next song came on. It was, I thought, a pop song. It sort of sounded a little like a current boy band type of sound that my daughters listen to. My first thought was "I thought I had a country station on; but...oh wait! It is a country station!" It's a song I started hearing over the last month and it's a Thomas Rhett song. I missed the intro; so I didn't know it was a country song. lol wink Anyway, here is the song...

Incidentally, Thomas Rhett's real name is "Thomas Rhett Akins." He is the son of the country singer Rhett Akins. His dad's name also happens to be "Thomas Rhett Akins." His dad went with "Rhett Akins"; and he went with "Thomas Rhett" to differentiate himself.

Here is one of his dad's bigger songs...

He was more of a mid-90's country guy. He still writes a fair amount; and much of it for and with others.

So country surely has different and aspects to it. I think the change is great. I also think the traditional is great.

I've always looked for appreciation in any music. If I don't like it; it doesn't mean "it sucks."

Anyway, production varies wildly. Some of the current stuff is VERY produced; others more "raw." Between the two; I would say there is much more produced though, overall, on the radio.

Believe it or not; the subject matter of the songs are still pretty similar. It's the delivery that has changed. There is still a lot about love; loss, drinking...what you would expect. I'm glad no one has brought up (until me now) "sugar shaker" and "bed of my truck." The first wasn't used much at all; the second was very much a theme...just pick ups in general. But I think that's always been.

Very good thread you started. I get where people may not like the genre. I never understand where someone would have problem with someone else liking it. smile

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/07/19 09:43 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent post HTL!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are some excellent observations here.

Thomas Rhett is an interesting example of where modern country is progressing. He's college educated, writes many (maybe all) of the songs he records. Because the songs he sings are about the lifestyle of twenty somethings his audience can easily relate to him and his songs.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Thomas Rhett is an interesting example of where modern country is progressing. He's college educated, writes many (maybe all) of the songs he records. Because the songs he sings are about the lifestyle of twenty somethings his audience can easily relate to him and his songs.

Actually he's involved in the writing. He has a GOOD number of writers he works with. One of which, is his dad. smile But, yes...many of his songs pull from life experiences.

Usually, in country music...actually, a lot of radio music...if someone is talking about a song they wrote; there are other writers involved. The funny thing is; I'm frequently surprised at how many will say "Oh I know" but don't think that's the case with the songs THEY like. Funny how that works. That being said; country at least mentions the writers fairly often and even give awards to them. That impresses me.

Producers...now that's a different story. He's worked with a number of them but really gravitates towards Dann Huff and Jesse Frasure. Dann's the man.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My opinion:

Modern country (which I differentiate by calling it Nashville) has more sophisticated harmony than traditional country music.

IMO Nashville music has evolved from country to pop music, mostly rock, but in with country accent or style.

I'm not passing judgment on which is better or whether it is right or wrong, just differentiating between the two.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A quote in Rolling Stone mag regarding the ACM awards.

"The through-line of the broadcast, however, was the forcefulness with which this year’s ACMs leaned toward country traditionalism. Singers like Chris Stapleton (“A Simple Song”) and Luke Combs (“Beautiful Crazy,” featuring Amanda Shires on fiddle) favored balladry more than usual, and the genre’s fondness for old-time religion also came back into play.”

Modern? Real? What goes around...

Bud

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,779
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189