Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes it should be working for you. I looked back in the RB Update history all the way back to 2009 and nothing mentioned abouted fixing nodes issues except minor typo stuff, nor do I remember anything during Beta testing as far as I remember.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Maybe there is something deeper in the idea that it has something to do with Midi.

Just curious. Did you try my actual test which takes the volume to zero with comments in the recording saying the volume is zero at that time making the playback in wav such that you should not hear these comments. On the contrary small adjustments that are typical with a recording are easy to miss if you are not looking for them. This is why I did probably 12+15+9 = 36 recordings and never noticed it until I made a fairly larger adjustment. Actually the real reason I noticed it to be honest was because I was fixing my terrible guitar playing at the jam because I had no warm-up and I also changed my technique and I am listening unusually carefully to it. In short I have become an extreme fuss buss as of late regarding these recordings. I had made maybe a -9 drop in one node and a +3 rise in another node and the difference was just barely enough for me to notice it and dig farther. If all one is doing is +3 and -3 and one is not unusually sensitive one won't notice it. You really do have to take the node to absolute zero to make the test easy. Why make it hard so you have to strain to listen to it and spend a lot of time on it? Makes no sense. My test takes maybe 5 minutes and it is a no Brianer to know it is not working (as it should be).

Not only that support told me they can do remote fixing if it is a serious. If they did this test they could run my test and be 100% sure it is happening (actually I could send the .seq and mp3 files through regular email so they would know 100% for sure it is happening by recognizing my voice on both recordings). Again 5 minutes to do this test and I already have the .seq file to save that work so my estimate is probably about right. Why not? It should not be happening. Why is it happening? Valuable info for them I would think.

Lastly once I decided to look for a different product I will install it on my 3rd machine to see if I get the same result. This assumes that I do not loose a BIAB activation since I am happy with BIAB. Three machines with the same bad result? That is highly unlikely to happen right? Speaking of BIAB as an aside I have had BIAB song file downloads for "Jazz Jam Club" members for a while but I just introduced BIAB chord window images as a way for them to get the chords from any of the 7 Hal Leaonard song books I have if I put a song out on the Jam Schedule that is not in a more common song book. There are a few reasons to use the BIAB chord window image for this but one is to encourage them to buy BIAB (the hope being if they see all the buttons they might get interested).

Looking for a different product with my list of 15 items should not take to long. Make up a list of 15 requirements, send a boat load of emails out to forums and sales people. Assign a weekend to each positive response (sorted best to worst of course). I should have my answer for each product by the end of the weekend. If need be I will do it in the summer when the jamming dies off.

Back to tax. Got to get it done tonight :-)

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/11/19 10:43 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John,

It doesn't read like you're using many DAW like features so you may be able to get by with a computer based recording program like +++ Audacity +++. Audacity works with audio only, there is no MIDI involved. So it's essentially a computer based digital audio recorder. The program can record as many tracks at one time as your audio interface and drivers allow. Best of all, the program is FREE!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi Jim,

I have an old version of audacity. I don't really know my version very well so maybe the latest version could match RealBand. Without your input I would no have considered it but thanks for the idea. IF I do send out my requirements I will include them.

I just got an idea. I could send my RealBand sequential file out to my club members and ask them to read it in and use the save as to create the wav file and find out the result and their system specs and real band version etc. Maybe I can find one that gets my problem with win-7 service pack 1 and another with win-7 service pack? that does not. If that is the solution I will have enough reason to put up with a weekend without that computer while it slowly gets the service pack installed. IF someone has win-7 with service pack #1 and it works on their machine then at least I know that is not the cause.

Maybe Micrsoft will provide a download the the service pack only when they stop supporting Win7. I could download it to My old WinXP machine which I only use for backups, transfer it over and install it in maybe 20 minutes. If that was possible I would do that in a finger snap.

One member uses Ableton live. I am betting it could match the Realband node function. Garage band maybe. My impression is there are tons of them that put RealBand to shame but for my limited needs if RealBand can do these node volume adjustments I just don't need that kind of horse power.

It just seems very weird that it does not work and I have to send the output to another computer as a work around to get the node function.

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/11/19 04:06 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John, there is only a service pack 1 for Windows 7, so you can't go higher. That being said, Windows 7 goes end-of-life in January 2020, after which there will be no more security patches (feature patches ended a while back). I'm in the same boat, as I run Windows 7 on my laptop (didn't go to Windows 10 on it because HP didn't provide proper drivers for either Windows 8 or 10). I can run 10 (and probably will come January), but only get a generic video driver and HDMI doesn't work for when I try to connect my laptop to a TV, nor does the fingerprint reader. But I digress.

Just be aware that come January you may have security concerns with your computer(s).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi John, thanks so much for responding. It must be fate :-) We have the same first name and you are the perfect person to do this test :-)

Maybe you can do me a giant favour and do the simple test for me that I made much clearer than the last time and which is attached to this post with a nice set of detailed step by step instructions. I had to copy the instructions out to a 2nd image so you can read them.

I assume you know how to run the nodes. Just in case others see this post who do not know how to use the nodes and who also want to try my exact test here is the video for how to use the nodes (probably better called "Volume Automation").

Youtube: RealBand Volume Automation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kKx5ThpSY&t=12s

As mentioned in an prior post my original testing method was far to slow and cumbersome. So I created a much better way and created a picture for how to do it which is shown below. This revised picture has the actual instructions.

Regarding the microphone part of the instructions if one does not have a microphone one could play 3 high notes, 3 low notes and the same 3 high notes (with a larger space between the sets of 3) as a way to make the audio wave form unique (so it is easy to figure out where to adjust the nodes down to zero volume) and (so it is easy listen to the .wav file and figure out where you are in the recording and if it has properly reflected the node adjustments).

Thanks,
John

P.S. If "volume automation" can not be saved to .wav with RealBand then this YouTube/Google search string is probably the best starting point for finding programs that can. String Search: "daw programs with volume automation" or "daw programs with volume automation review". If no program can do it then feeding the sound output to another computer would be the only way I can think of at least (I used it when I could not get RealBand to do it and it works but the volume is kind of low).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RealBand_NodeSettingImage.png (291.33 KB, 182 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 04/14/19 01:02 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If I have time this weekend, I'll give it a try on my Windows 7 laptop and let you know the results I get in RealBand 2019.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks John. IF you can't do it this weekend that is fine. No rush. I won't be doing any mixing again until after April 28th anyway. John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John B. - I should be able to test this in RB2019 this weekend. However, there are a couple of things I noticed. In the picture you posted, it was just audio tracks, so your MIDI settings (that you later posted) should not apply. Also, I noticed that you are using stereo tracks for what appear to be mono material (the wave form is all in the left channel of those audio tracks. Is there a particular reason for this?

John

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
jford,
I asked OP to post his MIDI settings because Nodes are stored as MIDI Events (to my knowledge).
If his MIDI was not sending correctly, these messages wouldn't happen. Just checking for an odd setting that could somehow be causing the OPs issue, since it seems so weird.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Node_MIDI.jpg (110.77 KB, 141 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jford
John B. - I should be able to test this in RB2019 this weekend. However, there are a couple of things I noticed. In the picture you posted, it was just audio tracks, so your MIDI settings (that you later posted) should not apply. Also, I noticed that you are using stereo tracks for what appear to be mono material (the wave form is all in the left channel of those audio tracks. Is there a particular reason for this?

Maybe the reason for "the wave form is all in the left channel of those audio tracks" is I was not aware of this and it sounds pretty good to me ear. To bring the .wav files in to RealBand I go to the windows folder where the song tracks are stored, delete the ones I know have no recording data, highlight all the remaining .wav track files , left click and hold on the top track that is highlighted, drag it to the top track of RealBand and release the left button. That drops them all perfectly into RealBand keeping the same name as in the windows folder. So these tracks coming in would be mono and RealBand is doing whatever. If it sounds good to me I don't question it. It is basically the same with the "save As" after the Volume Automation (node) changes. If it sounds good to me (or if it is not important that it be perfect) I am done. It is more or less the same reason I never really checked all the prior recordings before and never noticed the problem before. It is only because I am in the middle of changing my guitar technique (mastering a new technique) that I have become really sensitive to it and listening really closely to it. Translation, my guitar playing live without a good warm-up is below my standard so I redo my guitar playing part of the recordings after a good solid warm-up and listen very carefully to them now. It is in this hyper critical mode I am much more likely to notice issues like the node adjustments not getting written out to the .wav file. In a way I suppose you could call this "just in time learning". My test is a different attitude. Since I am asking others to donate their free time my test is designed to make it easy "meaning you do not need to be hyper critical and listening really hard to notice the issue".

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/13/19 11:14 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
John,
I have seen this problem before when I was first trying to use the 'nodes' to adjust levels with RB2017 ver7.

I used the Gain Nodes in db as you are doing and had all kinds of trouble with it not saving the set level. I contacted tech support in October of 2017 and they verified the problem. At that time they instructed me to use Volume nodes instead of Gain nodes. And that fixed the problem for me.

I'm now running RB2018 and the Volume nodes work perfect with RB2018 and Windows 7. It may be worth a try to use the Volume Nodes instead of Gain Nodes. The volume node levels range from 0 to 127 max.

Del
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi Del,

thanks so much and wow! Maybe this problem is not so weird after all :-) Your input is very valuable because that eliminates my concern that it might be my using Win-7 without updates causing the problem. I have to assume TechSupport does not remember your problems. I was not aware there such a thing as volume nodes versus gain nodes. I will pock around and see if I can figure it out. Before I get into the google searches etc I am starting to remember some of the things Rharv mentioned 1 or 2 years ago when I first felt the need to have RB store volume changes. I seem to remember it has the ability to remember adjustments I make to the volume sliders. Maybe that is what you are referring to. If so it would not be as nice since one can not see it.

Also since John Ford is going to be doing my tests on version 2019 it sounds like he will get a positive result (the node adjustments will copy to the .wav file). It will be interesting to see what his results are.

So I have a day off with my daughter visiting. While she does some work I have been pocking around with Audacity to see if it can do a visual volume automation. It appears it may be able to. I am about to try and confirm that. If it can solve the problem what I will do is look at the new BIAB features and see if they are enticing enough to make me upgrade.

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/13/19 02:28 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
John,
when you expand the track to set your node level, you will see a drop down box on the left side of the track. Click that and change it from 'Gain Nodes' to 'Volume Nodes'.

Del
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Skip that. I just found it Del. You are a genious :-) I will attach a 2nd picture to help out with this and delete the first one. Now i will see if I can apply my simple little test and get a positive result :-)

Originally Posted By: Del
John,
when you expand the track to set your node level, you will see a drop down box on the left side of the track. Click that and change it from 'Gain Nodes' to 'Volume Nodes'.

Once I click the initial drop down to show the horizontal node line I do not see an additional drop down box to switch back and forth with. I attached the picture. I am on 2016 version 10 now. I don't remember it being any different in 2016 version 7 which I just upgraded from. Did they create a special variant for you?

RealBand_Vol_Versus_Gain_Nodes.png (136.32 KB, 113 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 04/13/19 02:44 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hover over track 2 as shown in your image, until your cursor changes to a double arrow and then drag track 2 downward, then you should see the other drop down box.

Del
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks Del, I discovered it and updated my prior post but I guess not fast enough :-) I ran my simple test and the results were positive (see attached picture). Problem solved. Thanks so much for your help. Now the mystery is solved.

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/13/19 05:18 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm glad it worked for you John!

I struggled with this problem for several months before tech support told me about the 'Volume Nodes' option.

Apparently the 'Gain Node' issue I reported in 2017 is still hanging around for some users. Using volume nodes has worked flawlessly for me and I use it in most of my songs.

Del
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I respect your patience Del. I would have jumped ship very quickly partly because part of me loves to learn new stuff. I was actually starting to investigate Audacity tonight. I would much rather stick with RealBand since BIAB is a wonderful program and we could not have as many jams without it. Bottom line is being a good jazz guitar player is much more important to me than being a great sound engineer. It always will be. Anything to save me time is the highest priority and you saved me a boat load of it tonight. Thanks again. Best of luck to you in everything. John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Okay, here are the results of my testing.

I created a RealBand file using a RealStyle to generate a number of tracks. I then picked one.

I started with Gain Nodes. After bringing various sections down to zero and then back up, I tried saving that individual track using the numerous ways you can do that in RealBand.

1. Right click on track, from popup menu select "Track, Save Track to File"
2. From the top line menu, select "Edit, Track, Save Track to File" (essentially the same as #1.
3. Right click on track, from popup menu select "Save Audio Track As WAV"
4. From top line menu, select "Render, Save Track to File"
5. From top line menu, select "Render, Save All Tracks to WAV Files"
6. Mute all the tracks except the track in question, the from the top line menu, select "Render, Merge Audio to Stereo WAV"

In all instances except #6 ("Merge Audio to Stereo WAV"), the resulting file does not honor the node settings. For #6, it does. Of course, even though my original track was a mono track, I ended up with a resultant stereo WAV file.

I then did the same thing using Volume nodes and obtained exactly the same results.

So, my guess is that the other methods to save a track (#1-#5 above) is to preserve the original underlying WAV file with no processing. #6, however, does honor the nodes so that the rendered down file contains the audio as you hear it normally in RealBand.

I don't know if this was intentional implementation, but it is clearly the way RealBand works.

Another test would be to see whether effects achieve the same results. So I tried it with heavy reverb (since that's easy to hear). I obtained the same results as with the nodes. I only heard reverb when I rendered using the "Merge Audio to Stereo WAV". All other means of saving the track resulted in the dry version of the track with no effects applied.

Hope that helps (at least answer the question).

John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195