Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
My poor olde Roland Tricapture is getting past it. (Should take it back it’s only about 15 years old) I have had several drops in volume or the guitar cutting out. Give the USB a wiggle it usually works again but I don’t trust it.

I use the interface to plug my guitar into the laptop then use Guitar Rig or TH3 and blend it with the various tracks I have made using BIAB for live shows. The output of the audio interface plugs into my little PA (also other PAs when doing some shows)

I have also purchased a MIDI foot controller so I would like to add MIDI ports (albeit I have a UNO MIDI to USB device.)

Looking about both the PreSonus 24C and the Focusrite 214 have the ports I would like. The PreSonus is quite a bit cheaper and in my opinion has better giveaways but I know very little about PreSonus. Focusrite have a really good reputation.

What do you recommend.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
I have no knowledge of the PreSonus, so can't help you with that.

However I have been using the 2i4 here for a few years now and I can tell you it is a very good interface, I love it. Perfect for recording both vocals and guitars (line and instrument level inputs).

EDIT: Maybe this will help: https://www.careersinmusic.com/best-audio-interface/

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 04/28/19 12:53 AM.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< I use the interface to plug my guitar into the laptop then use Guitar Rig or TH3 and blend it with the various tracks I have made using BIAB for live shows. The output of the audio interface plugs into my little PA (also other PAs when doing some shows)

I have also purchased a MIDI foot controller so I would like to add MIDI ports (albeit I have a UNO MIDI to USB device.) >>>

Well, first, I'm fairly knowledgeable with Presonus hardware and software. I've also owned a Focusrite 18i20 unit. Presonus hardware: Interfaces: 22vsl, 22, 44vsl, and currently have the Presonus 192 but also still have my original 22vsl in service. I've had an AR22 mixer, 16.4.2 Studiolive mixer. Other hardware: V-Tube Preamp, 2 Eureka Channel Strips and an original single channel Faderport as well as the Faderport 8 Control Surface. There may be more but that's the list off the top of my head. Software, I have Studio One 4 Professional and the 192 uses Universal Control for access and control of the internal 192 DSP chip.

Some thoughts about Presonus.

If you use Presonus software, their hardware may have some neat perks between that software and hardware combo. Integration between Studio One and the Presonus hardware devices is very intuitive as well as adds a lot of useful control and convenience.

I have experienced rock solid performance from Presonus hardware. I've had one issue with one unit that was a B-stock purchase 10 years or so ago.

If you buy any Presonus hardware unit, choose one with X-max preamps. They are above average, quality preamps. The 24-c unit you are considering has X-Max preamps. The X-max preamp on today's $149 unit is much better than the single preamp that their $900 Eureka channel strip had when it was originally manufactured.

However, at the top of my post, I pulled a quote from your post. Some other thoughts I had about your situation.

You may want to consider on improving not only your studio setup, but simplifying and improving your live gig setup as well. You can do that by upgrading to a digital mixer/interface rather than just an audio interface. That upgrade will provide potential benefits you may not have ever considered for your live performances like adding a click track to add additional 'live' recording sections to play in sync with your live playing. It will provide more channels and routing to add additional devices for playback, MC, midi control of devices, audio and video and also lights. You can record a stereo mix of your show or with some models record a multitrack of a show. But the real payoff and improvement can come from the built in operating system (OS) and effects included. Here's an example why. Behringer's lowest priced, lowest featured Stage Box Digital Mixer has the exact same OS and effects/features as their top of the line, $2,300 Behringer X32 40-Channel, 25-Bus Digital Mixing Console. It's limited only to account for the reduction in input/outputs between the two units. Performance wise, there would be no difference between you using a full sized X32 for your current gig setup and the Behringer XR12 four pound stage box. There are several different models offered to accommodate the specific needs of a band or studio regarding routing, otherwise they are all the same except for scale. Behringer (and other manufacturers) also sells a traditional mixer, Behringer Xenyx UFX1204 Mixer and USB Audio Interface with Effects, with similar routing but everything is hardware control rather than total software control.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Dave, I looked about on other sites there are opinions either way. My use is very simple and even if it does not work out I can always take the QuadCapture off my desktop and swap things about. So I decided to go with the PreSonus which is way cheaper and comes with Studio One Artist not that I need yet another DAW but I thought I’d have a play and see if I learn more. The Studio One Artist is over half the price of the PreSonus 24C interface if purchased alone. This is a hobby and if I spend 100 hours on it, it works out cheaper than milk.

Tony

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Charlie, my needs are very simple. I could have probably just purchased a delay pedal and plugged into the PA and just come out of the audio out but over time I’ve found what I had works great with very little thought.

These days I live in a retirement village in a unit on a major road. It is so noisy I don’t bother even trying to record anything. I just do the odd gigs at various nursing homes and within the retirement village. I came here to retire and either gave away or sold my gear (ended up having to buy some more). Unfortunately the poor old Tricapture is becoming very sloppy in its USB port so I don’t trust it. I like everything to be fairly reliable hence buying a new interface.

The PreSonus 24C comes with Studio One Artist. That is what swung the deal for me. A new toy to play with. However, I can’t see Studio One being a replacement for Reaper or Cakewalk for me at this stage. I understand both Reaper and Cakewalk pretty well for my uses.

Thanks for your advice. I always regard your comments as well founded not only by thought but also your experience.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
This is a hobby and if I spend 100 hours on it, it works out cheaper than milk.

Tony

You made me smile with that one smile Same deal here, I do it just for the pure fun of it.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Originally Posted By: Teunis
This is a hobby and if I spend 100 hours on it, it works out cheaper than milk.

Tony

You made me smile with that one smile Same deal here, I do it just for the pure fun of it.

As do I!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,574
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199