Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
This one just kinda flew together - trust me, it doesn't usually come together this easily! I had a thought to do a Western Swing style song Saturday night, so I just grabbed my pen and started writing the first things that came to my head. In about 20 minutes, I had the words, so I jumped over to Band In A Box, and threw together a quick arrangement to go with the words. This program is so awesome, it only took a few minutes to identify what instruments I wanted, and then after a few regenerations, I had the arrangement ready. Dropped the renderings over into Studio One, and added vocals, and here we go! (I'm sure I probably overestimated your interest in how I wrote the song, but anyway... Here is Leave Your Blues At Home.) Hope you enjoy it...

Leave Your Blues At Home

Leave Your Blues At Home
©Stephen W. Young

You've had your share of trouble
And you don't know what to do
You see pieces of the puzzle
But you're looking for a clue
You say you're sad and lonely
You say you're feeling blue
You say you need some company
I can say I've been there too
If you need to get away
To rest your weary bones
You can come on down to my house
But you can leave your blues at home

I don't want to minimize
The things you're going through
But you're living in the shadows
You need a different point of view
It's time to make some changes
I know it's hard to do
You can rise above the ashes
You can see your dreams come true
You can take your stand for freedom
And you'll never be alone
But you can leave your blues at home

Please hear what I am saying
I mean no disrespect
I hate to see you struggle
But your song's not over yet
Start dancing to this happy beat
I'm sure you won't regret
Can't wait to see you smile again
I hope you won't forget
I'm always right here for you
Not throwing any stones
And you can leave your blues at home

Here are the RT's/RD's used...
RealTracks in song: ~541:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~1131:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm WesternSwingWarmA-B Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~815:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Western Swing Sw 190
RealTracks in song: ~1135:Pedal Steel, Rhythm WesternSwing Sw 190
RealTracks in song: ~1544:Fiddle, Background WesternSwing Sw 190
RealTracks in song: 818:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryClassicSwing Sw 190
RealDrums [in Song:BoomChickaSw^01-a: Blue Rods, b: Blue Sticks

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Stephen,
Really nice!
My view is, the best tunes are the ones that come easy. Probably much more chemistry behind that... Most likely it was "cooking" inside of you for some time and then arrived at the surface without a warning smile

Very tasteful, masterful work in capturing this beast in proper moment of time! Enjoyable both musically and lyrically.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I was a little worried you'd lifted too much Cash in the verse melody but you moved on from the similarity pretty quickly.
The hand claps REALLY help.
Nifty, crisp and up tune - good one!

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

I love this! You sound great doing western swing...

A great vocal, lyric and mix.

Nothing left to say - very much enjoyed!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hi Steve. I've found my best songs come together really fast. Love this tune its a throw back to the days of great music.
Every thing works well your band selection is spot on. Great vocals and production are excellent. Rob

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I love when a project comes together so seamlessly. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Steve, you have not overestimated MY interest in how songs get written.

This is a clever write and expresses thoughts in an original way that I (for one) have had, and also at times have heard directed at me with less art. Your voice always feels comfortable and un-strained, and this time was especially smooth sounding. Thoroughly enjoyed.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Always interested in the songwriting process that people use, so thanks for adding that!

Good song Steve, amazing to me that you could write those lyrics so quickly. The "band" sounds great, perfect choice of instruments, as does your vocal.

Enjoyed the listen!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

Great hook! The write has the comfortable, simple, said-just-right feel of a Hank Williams song. (That's a compliment, btw)

The swing production suits it perfectly and the mix is excellent. Strong vocal (as always).

Hard not to enjoy... chair dancing...

fj

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
An excellent Western Swing tune with a good hook...
All thats missing is Bob Wills voice urging you & the musicians along with an "Ah-Ha"...
Good job on this one.

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
From Bob Wills to Asleep At The Wheel we LOVE Western Swing! And, man, this is right in the pocket.

Two and a half minutes of pure joy.

You have an obvious real feel for this genre...guess being from Texas doesn't hurt smile

Janice and I have worked a bit with WS and always felt the WS RT's are some of the best.

Great band, vocal performance and write...the whole package.

Much fun!!!

J&B

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Steve, what a marvelous song I might say! Very cool you were able to create this in a short amount of time. Fantastic selection of instruments here and the mix sounds well polished too. The lyrics are quite fun. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"20 minutes" You've got to be kidding Steve! It takes me a couple of weeks to put some lyrics together! This is such a beautiful clean production! Your vocal is absolutely perfect! Great band going on in the background with excellent choices all the way around! Pro level all the way! I can hardly believe all the great material being presented by so many members of this forum community! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
P
P
Sounds great. Very nice mix with vocals and song. Especially nice with the doubling on vocals and harmonies at the end. I am considering BIB and keep listening to user songs to get a good representation of capabilities and this one stands out.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Steve, I love the sentiment in your lyrics. The song and your vocals convey the message perfectly.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent western swing!

a great write and delivered beautifully

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First thought.... Asleep at the wheel.....

Man, isn't it sweet when that happens? 20 minutes and you got a solid lyric idea.... a few minutes later with BB and you got the song. It doesn't often happen that way, at least not for me, but when it does.... it's like God is talking to me directly.

Loved everything about this song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really well done! I wouldn't have known it came together so seamlessly, but it's never a bad thing when it works out that way. Love the upbeat groove on this, and your vocals are top notch. Definitely getting some throwback vibes on this too - I can imagine it'd sound great performed live.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Stephen,
Really nice!
My view is, the best tunes are the ones that come easy. Probably much more chemistry behind that... Most likely it was "cooking" inside of you for some time and then arrived at the surface without a warning smile

Very tasteful, masterful work in capturing this beast in proper moment of time! Enjoyable both musically and lyrically.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks, Misha! I agree, sometimes the ones that come easy are a little more "inspired", and come easily out of your heart. I think that's probably what happened here. Thanks for your nice words!

Originally Posted By: rayc
I was a little worried you'd lifted too much Cash in the verse melody but you moved on from the similarity pretty quickly.
The hand claps REALLY help.
Nifty, crisp and up tune - good one!

Thank you, rayc! This style at this tempo will probably remind you of another rendering of this genre, most of the time. At least it does to me. This style was originally the "dance music" of its day. To me, todays' "dance music" also has a lot of similarity between each song. Tempo and beat run together, as in the Western Swing. Western Swing sure is fun, though (at least to me)!

Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Steve,

I love this! You sound great doing western swing...

A great vocal, lyric and mix.

Nothing left to say - very much enjoyed!

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob! Means a lot to me. I've always really enjoyed Western Swing, but this is the first time I've attempted to do it.

I wish my Dad were alive to hear this one. He was a musician (had a band that entertained the troops in WWII), and taught me the basics to playing the guitar (3 chords!). He actually met Bob Wills and hung out with him some while he was in Galveston for some gigs with the Texas Playboys. My dad was always very impressed with the music of Bob Wills. I think he would have enjoyed hearing me at least attempt to do this! smile

Thanks again for your kind words, Bob!

===

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Catchy feel-good song, great work in such a short time smile Arrangement and mix is so perfect that I'd actually like to hear this played on an old gramophone, just to get that authentic feel of times when life was simple but happy smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199