Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Afternoon folks, I know someone here will know the answer to this smile

Are there copyright implications with quoting a line from someone else’s song?

Totally different melody, but a sentence used in another song. Rest of the lyrics are original.

Reason I’m asking is that my songwriting partner sent me back a demo of a new song we are working on, and one line from her lyric is a line used in another song.

Very easy to change the lyric if needed, but it’s a cool line and would be nice to use it if we can.

Thanks!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Dave, it's hard to say. Length of the line and how common/uncommon the actual words are, play a lot into it.

This may help?

The Law

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
K
K
Many modern artist are doing the same thing, though not sure about the technicalities. They call it sampling.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KennethSennet
Many modern artist are doing the same thing, though not sure about the technicalities. They call it sampling.

Sampling has come under much legal scrutiny lately. As with any activity sampling sort of flew under the radar until it reached a high enough level of popularity to be considered successful (feel free to substitute the term money maker for successful). Now many record labels, artists, artist agents and artist estates line up to sue on the grounds of copyright infringement anytime a recording containing non licensed samples even remotely becomes successful. Past recordings containing non licensed samples keep having their day in court over the same issue. There ain't no free ride and few free passes anymore but, if you own the copyright, that's a good thing.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guys, this has nothing whatsoever to do with sampling! That is not what I was asking about.

Thanks for the link HTL, very helpful smile We have decided to change the lyric in question.

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
These are just my personal thoughts, but you could always talk to a lawyer that specializes in the field. Then you'd know for certain, but there are probably some references online as well. I just don't know how true they would be depending on the source.

Cheers,
Ember
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

I'm sorry I went off topic.

I was trying to help KennethSennet understand that from a legal standpoint it most likely dosn't matter if you are copying lyrics or audio samples. As the lawyer noted in the link HearToLearn posted it's still copying.

Again, I apologize.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Absolutely no need to apologize Jim, it’s all good smile

Lyric has already been rewritten, it actually fits the song better than the quote.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Now I have to know what the line was!!!! smile

If it makes you feel better, I quoted a line from "New York, New York" in that Mr. Jay song and nobody called me out then or now.

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/10/19 05:05 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm glad Blue Attitude has answered his post to his satisfaction. However, I feel this is a topic of interest to many others for exactly the same question. I know The Rolling Stones was sued for a song as also was Led Zeppelin and Ed Sheerhan. I believe these suits were more for riffs or melodies but I'm sure a judge somewhere could apply it to lyrics of any song that was successful. I also know the Marvin Gay Estate is pretty suit happy if they hear anything that resembles any of Marvin Gay music.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
From what I could gather, the Ed Sheeran suit was pretty lame. The plaintiffs were trying to argue that the use of a chord progression was infringement. I haven't heard what happened in that suit, but that is draconian. The suit against George Harrison had more merit, but if musical phrases and chord progressions are "copyright-able" then new music is dead.

I think if I had a commercial song with an important passage that was very closely related to another, I'd have my people contact their people and work out something. If my hook was the same lyric as another person's hook and the lyric was "unique" and not everyday speech, then a plaintiff may have a point. If I included somebody else's hook that seemed like a "quotation" then things might be more iffy. Time for people to talk to people. "Hey, my client has a song that pays homage to your client's song "Breaking Wind". We'd like to avoid future issues and are asking your opinion."

Of course, I'd have to talk to my people to see if that was the right advice. And you should talk to your people before you listen to either me or my people.

Carry on.

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/10/19 08:14 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo

LOL! The line was "Summertime, and the living is easy" sung with a totally different melody.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
I'm glad Blue Attitude has answered his post to his satisfaction. However, I feel this is a topic of interest to many others for exactly the same question. I know The Rolling Stones was sued for a song as also was Led Zeppelin and Ed Sheerhan. I believe these suits were more for riffs or melodies but I'm sure a judge somewhere could apply it to lyrics of any song that was successful. I also know the Marvin Gay Estate is pretty suit happy if they hear anything that resembles any of Marvin Gay music.

Zeppelin was successfully sued by Willie Dixon for a couple of songs, actually settled out of court. In that case it was using his lyrics. In one of the songs, "Bring it on Home", the songwriting credit actually reverted to Dixon. The other song was "Whole Lotta Love".

They were also sued by the estate of Randy Wolf (Randy California) for the chord progression and arpeggios used in Stairway to Heaven, identical to a short section of the instrumental "Taurus" by the band "Spirit", however that was unsuccessful.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Here's a bit about the Ed Sheeran lawsuit. In was in relation to a song by Australian Songwriters.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/ed-sheeran-hit-with-plagiarism-lawsuit-from-australian-songwriters-20180112-h0h8no.html

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

The line probably would have been OK.

The music was written by George Gershwin who died in 1937 and the lyrics were by DuBose Heyward who died in 1940.

According to Google, the current copyright in the USA is 70 years after the death of the last composer in the case of a joint work (if I understand things correctly). Since 1940 + 70 = 2010, the work is out of copyright. This principle is most likely reflected in trade agreements between other countries.

That said, as Pat Pattison once stated at a seminar I went to too... "Never be afraid to throw out pet lines, there's always something better waiting in the wings that wants to come on stage". I always keep that in mind.

What's interesting about your situation and copyright is that you'd be governed firstly by Canadian laws and Chris's lyrics would be governed by firstly by German laws. I have no idea how that works!

I'm looking forward to hearing the song!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I have a friend that saw four lines of a poem written on a small rock in a gift shop with credit for authorship listed as anon. He used those four lines as lyrics in the second verse of a song. It's obvious the words are from the poem. It's a fairly long poem but the first verse is quite famous and quoted in many different formats. I've always advised to change those lines but he hasn't felt the need to do that.

Is it Plagiarism or Inspiration?

Here is a posting of the poem and how a funeral service instructs a family can adapt and personalize it for use in a specific funeral.

"This is another very popular and flexible poem with words that are easy to adjust, lines can be added or removed, a name could be inserted to make it more personal and all religious references could also be removed if required."

"If tears could build a stairway
and thoughts a memory lane
I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again"

Funeral Helper

But then today, I found this post by Ann Parlett:
Poem Author

Of course there's the story of Lennon and McCartney setting in front of a framed Victorian circus poster from 1843 that John Lennon purchased from an antique store and transformed the poster wording into song lyrics. This authorship of Lennon/McCartney is similar to me to the unknown author of the poem above. (that would be my defense anyway);)

How many songs from the 50's-60's talked of the girl putting on her red dress to party? How many songs say I love you? Every country song today plagiarizes pickup trucks, beer, country girls, acoustic guitars, tractors, guns, riverbanks, country roads, cowboy hats, boots and either George Jones, Merle Haggard or Hank Williams.

This topic actually tracks closely my latest non-published project that will likely go as far as my last 10 or so non-published projects but I think it could generate some interesting conversation. I may start a new thread so as to not disrupt this one.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

LOL! The line was "Summertime, and the living is easy" sung with a totally different melody.

Ok, then. In the legal sense, that may have been "okay" to use for reasons Noel explained above. But that line is too recognizable to "copy" in a creative sense. The only real setting I personally would see that line being other than "copying" is if it were an obvious reference, or should be perceived as an obvious reference--law or no law. Context is key.

I think you probably did right to change it, and I'm glad the change works better.

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/11/19 10:10 AM.

Songwriting
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Perhaps I'm wrong but...
I think you will only be sued if you make tons of money from a song that has a plagiarism smile...
The rest of us will be blocked or be asked to remove the offending song.

Jim
†=☮&♥
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Jim is correct. You can only be sued for damages. If you caused no loss of revenue for infringing, or did not otherwise damage the value of copyrighted work, what can they "get" out of you? If you've had no revenue, they'd have a hard time proving you deprived them of revenue by infringement.

Other damages can be claimed against artists and publishers (including this forum, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.) that are just not worth the hassle. I'd want my legal team to have as little to do as possible.

My greatest financial hope for my music is that some big name act steals enough of my stuff to make suing him a good career move. wink

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/11/19 11:37 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
My greatest financial hope for my music is that some big name act steals enough of my stuff to make suing him a good career move. wink

Nice plan! Hope it works out for you smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195