Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello

I entered my chords and it plays.

Now I want to enter a melody into the melody track (or any track)

I get as far as the notation window and I can see the notation for the drums, bass, piano...

The melody has improvisation marks on it.
I want to enter / edit there but I have no luck.
Even after watching the videos.

Right clicking (as shown in the videos to enter notes) does nothing.

The documentation is also elusive and for 2019 just mentions enhancements.

Doe anyone know how to get this going perhaps?

Best regards
Bernt

Band in a Box
Latest: ULTRA 2020 (734) on Win 10
And: MEGA 2020 (720) on Windows 7

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bernt,

It sounds like your melody track might already be in use with a Realtrack or and existing melody.

Melodies can be entered on either the Melody or Soloist tracks but they need to be empty for that to happen.

If a Realtrack is present on the Melody track, you will be able to see it in the mixer.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
The Notation Mode is for reading. Go into the Editable Notation Mode.

If you enter or edit notation on any track besides the Melody or Soloist, Freeze the track or BIAB will overwrite it in the next song regeneration.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
In addition to Noel's excellent advice, presumably you have turned on Editable Notation Mode?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-05-12_06-24-56.jpg (67.95 KB, 198 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Videotrack’s graphic shows what I was talking about. Let us know if this isn’t the solution.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ok,
Thank you all! I have progress.
But so far, it appears that the notation editor has some problems.

For example,
I entered an F by clicking it in place. Then edit the note by right click->edit note. I then make the F a sharp.

Zoom, the F became an E instead of an F#!
That problem seems repeatable.

I am also struggling with extending the notes across more than one bar. It seems to auto change that every time I add notes to the second bar.

Maybe there re some tips 'n tricks I need to learn for this?

Regards
Bernt

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
The note editor is a little unusual but once you get the hang of it it is quite practical.

Notes are essentially all created to a long length and then shortened to adjust to meet the next note placed on the stave. You can further shorten a note by adding rest(s) at the appropriate location.

Don't use 'Force Accidental' to change the F to an F#. Edit and change the note value to a Gb. It will then show correctly (depending on the key signature of course).

This video may also assist:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-05-13_10-58-10.jpg (138.03 KB, 160 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Also, for the note to flip,I’m wondering if you have a transposition in effect?

Veteran
Veteran
Matt, I tested and placed an F on the stave then edited the note and selected 'Force Accidental' to a Sharp and it caused the note to show as an E, as the O/P had described. I suspect that was what was occurring. Selecting Gb instead worked fine.

Veteran
Veteran
Yikes.

EDIT: I'm not yet convinced. See my comment below.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 05/13/19 04:26 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yikes.
Yes, it wasn't the result I expected either !!!

Veteran
Veteran
OK, let's explore this in more detail.

I'm using the latest Build 628.

In a fresh song, key signature of C, I enter an F (natural) on the editable notation.

I right-click on the note, Edit Note, Force Accidental, Sharp. I get E#.

That's right; that's enharmonically correct.

Next I right-click on the note, Edit Note, change Note using the arrow controls to F#. Force Accidental still says Sharp. I get F#.

That's right.

Next I right-click on the note, Edit Note, change Force Accidental to Auto. The F# in Note changes to Gb. That's annoying, but it still works.

Then I change Force Accidental to Sharp. The Gb turns to an F#. This is a bit mind-bending, but it works.

So, tell me the problem step by step that makes something NOT work. And tell me the key signature of the song, whether any transposition setting is in effect, and the chord at that point.

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I use the shift, Cntl, and Alt buttons as I enter the note. If you hold down these keys as you add the note it will make it sharp, flat or natural depending on which key you use. It's fewer key strokes as well

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, BIAB gives you many ways to do some things.

Dave, are you experiencing a problem as described above?

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I haven't had a problem - at least not yet. But again I haven't had to use it recently.

I just tried it again and it definitely works.

Last edited by Dave; 05/13/19 06:47 AM.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
OK, let's explore this in more detail.

I'm using the latest Build 628.

In a fresh song, key signature of C, I enter an F (natural) on the editable notation.

I right-click on the note, Edit Note, Force Accidental, Sharp. I get E#.

That's right; that's enharmonically correct.

Next I right-click on the note, Edit Note, change Note using the arrow controls to F#. Force Accidental still says Sharp. I get F#.

That's right.

Next I right-click on the note, Edit Note, change Force Accidental to Auto. The F# in Note changes to Gb. That's annoying, but it still works.

Then I change Force Accidental to Sharp. The Gb turns to an F#. This is a bit mind-bending, but it works.

So, tell me the problem step by step that makes something NOT work. And tell me the key signature of the song, whether any transposition setting is in effect, and the chord at that point.

You seem to be doing what I did but you have different (correct) results.
I started with an F and making it sharp resulted in an E which is wrong.

I am not aware of any transposing. I simply started afresh and entered the chords.
It plays the chords correctly at the correct pitch.
I did not enter any signature either so it should be just C.

I gave up last time I did this.
Reason was that I was not able to extend the notes to the correct length of 1 and 1/8 bar.
Every time I added a note into the 2nd 8th of the second bar (after the extended note), the duration of the extended note (1 + 1/8) changed automatically and I was not able to fix it.

Regards
Bernt

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. You answered two of my questions. The key signature is C and there is no transposition in effect. How about the third question: what is the chord at the point you enter this note? I’m just trying to figure out why our results are different.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sorry for the delay.
I can confirm the chord to be C.

The attached picture shows what I am struggling to enter.

20190515_170054.jpg (756.62 KB, 21 downloads)

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
I’m not seeing a problem within that image. The first note?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: berntd

For example,
I entered an F by clicking it in place. Then edit the note by right click->edit note. I then make the F a sharp.

Zoom, the F became an E instead of an F#!
That problem seems repeatable.

It's not quite clear what you try to express via 'I then make the F a sharp'.

Maybe you tried to have an F dispayed as E# via clicking on 'Sharp' within the Force Accidental note edit dialog at some entered note E? The Force Accidental dialog just affects the display of accidentals - it won't change notes, such as an E to an E# or F for that matter.

But then again, 'the F became an E instead of an F#' sort of doesn't make sense at all.

We likely need just more info here.

For what it's worth, the Edit Note dialog works here like a charm.

Martin
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195